Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Aston Villa, Anfield. Sun 3 Sep 2pm  (Read 14357 times)

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated

Liverpool v Aston Villa, Anfield. Sun 3 Sep 2pm

Referee: Simon Hooper.
Assistants: Adrian Holmes, Simon Long.
Fourth official: Tony Harrington.
VAR: Darren England.
Assistant VAR: Timothy Wood.

LIVERPOOL
We've made a really positive start to the season, although if you hang out in the transfer forum much you could definitely be forgiven for thinking things have never been worse.

A couple of things that have stood out for me. We've coped brilliantly with adversity in the last two games in particular. Being reduced to 10 men in both games. In both games we were decisive and responded in exactly the right way. Immediately scoring a third goal against Bournemouth, and gradually, resolutely getting ourselves back into the game against Newcastle to be in a position to still win the game with Darwin's magic double. At times last season it felt like we weren't able to lift ourselves or fightback as we had before, now we look stronger mentally again.

The other change for me is the impact our subs are having. Last season it often felt to me that our subs had limited positive impact, but this time around I think we've looked more dangerous after making changes. In the Chelsea game towards the end we were re-energised by our subs and started to create chances. In the Newcastle game two of the subs were involved in the winner and one of them scored both our goals.

When you also consider we have a completely new midfield, who have already shown flashes of brilliance and will only get much better as a unit, I feel we've made an excellent start.

And, if you're not enjoying it because of you know, "transfers", I think you're probably doing it wrong.

It's probably a bit early in the week to know who'll definitely be available or otherwise, but I didn't see Konate, Diaz or Thiago in today's (Wednesday's) training photos. Strangely no Gravenberch, Doucoure or Andre either. Perhaps I missed them but if not, hopefully Diaz is just a knock or something else and he'll be fine for Sunday.

ASTON VILLA

After losing 5-1 on the opening weekend to Newcastle, they have recovered with big scoring wins over Premier League heavyweights Everton (4-0) and Burnley (3-1), not to mention a 5-0 thumping of Hibernian in the Europa Conference League.
Their goals have come from a few different players, Moussa Diaby a new signing has scored a couple as has right back Matty Cash, but Olly Watkins is not among them yet. Hopefully we can keep it that way, as he does seem to like a goal against us.

They're dealing with some big injuries. They lost Mings for the season after about 30 mins of the first game, Coutinho came off injured against Everton and they lost Buendia, again possibly for the season, before a ball had been kicked, so I think they'll largely be happy with their start. It's actually possible that losing Mings may prove a blessing in disguise (in the most unfortunate circumstances) if new defender Pau Torres is worth the 30m+ they've just spent on him.

I was about to write Emery has got a decent record against us, but then thought I should probably check that, as aside from the UEFA Cup Final with Seville I couldn't think when else he'd beaten us. That's because he hasn't. In 9 games he has that 1 win, 2 draws and 6 defeats. Not sure why I thought otherwise, but thought I'd add it here anyway, to see if it's just me or others thought similarly.

SUMMARY

I think Aston Villa pose a stiffer test than our last opponent at Anfield, they can score and are well set up by Emery. However the one time they have faced a top side this season they lost 5-1, they have got their confidence back after that but we are by far the biggest test they've faced so far. If Konate remains out the centre of our defence will be Gomez and Matip, with Van Dijk beginning his suspension. I imagine the midfield 3 may well stay the same. Up front Salah, Diaz if fit and Nunez - it's time for Nunez.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 08:35:20 pm by duvva 💅 »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Re: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Aston Villa, Anfield. Sun 3 Sep 2pm
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 07:19:19 pm »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 07:32:43 pm »
Hopefully we can lead early or this will get absolutely unbearable with the time wasting. 10 points from these and our other fixtures would be an amazing beginning to the season. Darwin has to start after Newcastle, although he didn't score he wrecked these at Villa Park last season too.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 07:39:41 pm »
Be nice if they could play that suicidal high line that they played against Newcastle on the opening weekend. Nunez running in behind that would be very fun.

Offline Salty Dog

• Sworn enemy of Sugary Cat.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 08:33:12 pm »
Nice OP. I'm glad you included that bit about Emery's record against us because I also thought it was better than just the lone win in the Europa League Final.

A win here to send us into the international break would really be a promising start to the season. 10 pts collected and hopefully a chance for our injured players to be ready to return post-break.
It's like all punishments though, isn't it. You just have to close your eyes, grit your teeth and think of England. - Yorkykopite

Offline Believe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 09:20:48 pm »
Villa play a high line, ideal game for Nunez given his pace and willingness to run the channels.

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2023, 10:25:15 pm »
Villa play a high line, ideal game for Nunez given his pace and willingness to run the channels.

You can pretty much guarantee they won’t in this game.
After Newcastle these were the worst side to play at Anfield for time wasting but no doubt the ref will be all over it what with the new regulations for officials to clamp down on….Won’t they ?

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 10:32:09 pm »
Another game I'll be missing through work 😕

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2023, 10:42:48 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks Duvva, interesting op. Guess we will have Joe and Joel as CB. Do wonder if this is a game for Thiago at 6? Think same front three as last week with Darwin for the last 30.
Last season this was horrible, we need a first half lead to avoid their players falling over with bad heads. I reckon seven of theirs would have been booked if this season rules applied lol.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2023, 10:48:09 pm »
Wondering how we'll get fucked up the arse this game by the officials.

Double sending off? Bullshit penalty? No freekicks given to Liverpool until the 85th minute?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2023, 10:49:26 pm »
You can pretty much guarantee they won’t in this game.
After Newcastle these were the worst side to play at Anfield for time wasting but no doubt the ref will be all over it what with the new regulations for officials to clamp down on….Won’t they ?

Of course they will. There are no double standards in the Premier League.

Seriously though it’ll be interesting to see how long the arch twat Martinez delays goal kicks.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2023, 10:50:04 pm »
They will do what they did last season and probably play a low block and look to hit on the counter with Watkins.
I think we are better equipped in midfield to break them down.

Please can we not concede first…..excited for the game, but nervous as well…as they are on form.

Online So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2023, 10:51:29 pm »
They will do what they did last season and probably play a low block and look to hit on the counter with Watkins.
I think we are better equipped in midfield to break them down.

Please can we not concede first…..excited for the game, but nervous as well…as they are on form.

I’d like us not to concede. That would be a refreshing change. :D

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2023, 04:43:02 am »
Do we just start with 10, score a couple, then bring on an extra man for laughs?
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2023, 06:22:37 am »
Just win.. Please..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Online Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2023, 07:40:44 am »
Thanks duvva mate. I agree - I’ve really enjoyed our start.

Win this and 10pts is a very good return from those opening four fixtures heading into the break. You have to get off to a great start to have any chance against City as we know (yes top four first etc).

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2023, 07:53:43 am »
Thanks for the write up!

I don't see Thiago in the training pics posted yesterday (Saw Jones), don't expect him to start but we won't see him before NT break as well?
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline Smudge

• Epic Troll and one hell of a Richarlison...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2023, 09:00:39 am »
Can see Villa making 11 changes tonight ahead of this. Sadly.

Should be a decent game, they have spent well. I really rate Emery. Mings could be a big loss. I think Watkins will fancy it with no VVD.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2023, 11:58:40 am »
They won't be as open as they were in the Newcastle game but I fancy us to break down all fuckers this season regardless. The attack hasn't even begun to click this season and we've still took 7 points from a relatively tricky opening 9. Any sort of win will do here to send us into the international break with momentum and challenging games out of the way.

Nunez should start. Can't see him changing the midfield ahead of the break with Bajcetic/Thiago/Jones still having no minutes between them. They'll probably fancy themselves in attack and why not but I don't really rate their defence much, Digne couldn't do the defensive part right at Everton, Diego Carlos is coming off an ACL so he'll be the one to target IMO. Pau Torres is also a bit of an unknown quantity in the Prem too. They are a decent side on the whole but this is the type of game you have to win if you want to put yourselves in a title challenge.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2023, 12:05:26 pm »
Do we just start with 10, score a couple, then bring on an extra man for laughs?

:D

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2023, 12:14:44 pm »
Win here and we're flying.
What is solid start to the season, would actually turn into a great start.

Let's do them.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2023, 12:37:30 pm »
They’re going to try and make it an absolute dog’s dinner of a game. An early goal for us would really help.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2023, 01:01:23 pm »
They’re going to try and make it an absolute dog’s dinner of a game. An early goal for us would really help.

Yeah but with the new rules, I'm sure the refs wi...

.. You know what. I'm not even going to bother finishing that.

Villa will waste 35 minutes and the ref will add 2.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2023, 01:17:42 pm »
Thanks for the OP duvva. Our new signings of Mac and Szoboszlai have been brilliant so far and I think they will get better and better. Endo will probably get another 60 mins. Our attack options are the best in the league…….we could start any 3 of 5 or 6 and still have an exceptional frontline.

Our defence has gifted a few chances so hopefully we tighten up.

I can only see us winning.
#JFT97

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2023, 01:43:44 pm »
Thanks for the OP duvva. Our new signings of Mac and Szoboszlai have been brilliant so far and I think they will get better and better. Endo will probably get another 60 mins. Our attack options are the best in the league…….we could start any 3 of 5 or 6 and still have an exceptional frontline.

Our defence has gifted a few chances so hopefully we tighten up.

I can only see us winning.

"Challenge Accepted."

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2023, 01:44:42 pm »
JFW.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2023, 01:59:56 pm »
Not just Nunez but Jota deserves a start too on the left.
Harsh on Diaz but still a great option from the bench

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2023, 02:39:22 pm »
Diaz - Nunez - Salah is the attack we should have went with from the very start last season IMO and on it's day, if it clicks, the result would be total fucking chaos. I need to see it regularly.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline jlb

• Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2023, 02:41:43 pm »
Vamos!

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2023, 04:05:19 pm »
Another tough test for us. Their pace on the counter will cause problems for us if we're not careful.

Don't expect to see any changes, except for maybe Jota or Nunez for Gakpo.

Going for a 2-1 win, hopefully with less referee drama.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline BigCDump

• Legacy Fan
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2023, 04:16:58 pm »
If we can keep it at 11 vs 12 or 11 vs 13 then we should win reasonably comfortably.

Best thing now is oppo managers will really begin to start shitting the bed with Mo's quality delivery AND Nunez's deadly finishing. Defend first, think about attacking us later.

Therefore, I agree, Nunez should start just to put those doubts in their heads.
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2023, 04:30:09 pm »
Their high line presents us with opportunities but at the same time will make it tough for us when we have the ball, so we cant be as sloppy as we have been.

3-1 to us.

Offline neil4ad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2023, 04:43:12 pm »
Is Konate back? Bajetic to start or is it too soon for him?
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." -Bill Shankly

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2023, 05:11:18 pm »
I think Nunez not starting would be a blow to him mentally and would pretty much cement the idea that he is always going to be 3rd choice IMO, I really hope he starts.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2023, 05:33:46 pm »
Nunez has got to start, not just for this heroics in Newcastle but for the fact that Villa could play to his strengths.

Would be great to see Szobo really dominate this game in the middle.

Trent needs to wake up and be switched on from minute one.
JFT97

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2023, 05:36:14 pm »
I think Nunez will start but we'll shove him out on the left.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2023, 06:07:07 pm »

"Challenge Accepted."

Andy, just so you know.. ;D

Simon Hooper is the Ref that was suspended after he failed to give Wolves a penalty v Man Utd.

This is his first match back since suspension. Amazing how Howard Webb gave him the Liverpool match first up.  :lmao
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2023, 06:22:43 pm »
Diaz - Nunez - Salah is the attack we should have went with from the very start last season IMO and on it's day, if it clicks, the result would be total fucking chaos. I need to see it regularly.

Did we play it all last season? Can only think of Palace until Darwin got sent off and then Arsenal when they combined for the first goal but then Diaz got crocked.

Offline ryan125

• Kopite
« Reply #38 on: September 1, 2023, 02:11:11 am »
     Konate        Matip      Gomez     
            Trent            Macalister
           Szoboz          Gakpo
 Salah              Nunez          Diaz           

6-4 to the Reds ;D

Offline ryan125

• Kopite
« Reply #39 on: September 1, 2023, 02:20:50 am »
Also, I'd really love to see Doak a bit more often this year. Hopefully, gets at least 10 minutes.