Author Topic: Everton - The 777 Unflushables  (Read 515861 times)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Re: Everton - The 777 Unflushables
« Reply #9880 on: February 12, 2024, 07:32:36 pm »
So its red cartel now and cheating scumbags sticking together, blame everyone else but themselves ;D

I hope that idiot isn’t actually from Liverpool, imagine brown nosing fanbases that sing ‘feed the Scousers’ on a regular basis.

Never fails to amuse/amaze me how Everton fans ignore that they as a club have suffered as much as anyone from Man City’s cheating and blood money, as before they whre bought Everton where regularly finishing above them. Same now goes with Newcastle. It’s like a bad case of Stockholm Syndrome with them.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9881 on: February 12, 2024, 08:04:39 pm »
Even if they did ugnore all that shite and liked to think they were some valiant underdog alongside some of those other names, saudicastle and 115 fc are the obvious exceptions that it would just be complete batshittery on the part of bitters to align themselves with them.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9882 on: February 12, 2024, 08:10:19 pm »
Even if they did ugnore all that shite and liked to think they were some valiant underdog alongside some of those other names, saudicastle and 115 fc are the obvious exceptions that it would just be complete batshittery on the part of bitters to align themselves with them.
good word to use when discussing Everton.  "I think I'll uggg!nore them"

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9883 on: February 12, 2024, 08:36:52 pm »
I remember a better day with Everton. I don't remember their Holy Trinity - that was my dad's era, but I do remember the smashing side they had in the mid 1980s. I also remember our rivalry, but it seemed healthier at the time.

Over the years too many of their base have gone off the deep end and into a spiraling world of bitterness, raging against Liverpool and the wider footballing world, when they would have been a lot better served by looking inward, and getting their own house in order.

It saddens me to say it, as I am well aware of how they stood with us for justice for the 96 (97) but I think they have a bit more to go before they hit rock bottom. That will probably come when they are relegated, possibly on the back of also going into administration.

At that point they will have two options. Fade into oblivion, while raging against the world. Or, dust themselves down, regroup, cut their cloth accordingly, and start building a football club again.

A reset is possible, and it might just come with a new stadium and the promise of a better future. But too many of them are detached from reality at present, as they did cheat, they did cook the books, they did miss their financial target by quite a margin, and other clubs who kept to the rules were relegated. Come clean Everton! Come clean! And redemption might be possible.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9884 on: February 12, 2024, 09:22:13 pm »
I remember a better day with Everton. I don't remember their Holy Trinity - that was my dad's era, but I do remember the smashing side they had in the mid 1980s. I also remember our rivalry, but it seemed healthier at the time.

Over the years too many of their base have gone off the deep end and into a spiraling world of bitterness, raging against Liverpool and the wider footballing world, when they would have been a lot better served by looking inward, and getting their own house in order.

It saddens me to say it, as I am well aware of how they stood with us for justice for the 96 (97) but I think they have a bit more to go before they hit rock bottom. That will probably come when they are relegated, possibly on the back of also going into administration.

At that point they will have two options. Fade into oblivion, while raging against the world. Or, dust themselves down, regroup, cut their cloth accordingly, and start building a football club again.

A reset is possible, and it might just come with a new stadium and the promise of a better future. But too many of them are detached from reality at present, as they did cheat, they did cook the books, they did miss their financial target by quite a margin, and other clubs who kept to the rules were relegated. Come clean Everton! Come clean! And redemption might be possible.
preach!

it won't make any difference, they won't listen.  but preach away.  :)

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9885 on: February 12, 2024, 10:29:45 pm »
good word to use when discussing Everton.  "I think I'll uggg!nore them"

Totally unintentional, but it does seem to fit them doesn't it.  ;D

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #9886 on: February 13, 2024, 04:20:00 am »
Is it Friday yet......
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #9887 on: February 13, 2024, 07:35:59 am »

I started getting into football around the year 2000, were their fans like this in the late 90s too? I was watching a derby match from 1997 where they beat us 2-0. And i honestly couldn’t sense any bitterness there. They seemed like a club who had just won a trophy 2 years ago in 1995, and just avoided relegation. But optimistic they could go on to bigger things.

Is that a correct late 90s/Cadamarteri observation?

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #9888 on: February 13, 2024, 07:46:53 am »
I blame Hans Segars.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9889 on: February 13, 2024, 07:54:46 am »
Just so I understand this:

Can the appeals' panel only uphold the appeal or reject it? As in, can they only confirm the original punishment is fair, wrong or too lenient?

A part of me wonders if the PL requested 12 points knowing Everton would appeal, so there would be scope to increase the deduction if the appeal fails. I certainly don't want the punishment reduced solely on the grounds that it's poor little Everton and that they face financial oblivion if they're not let off. That isn't the PL's problem.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9890 on: February 13, 2024, 07:56:39 am »
Seen a discussion before about Premier League-era Everton teams. Would there be any PL era Everton player who'd get in our side now? A peak Beardsley or Rooney would (neither of which Everton got in the Premier League, similar with PL era Southall). I'd still say Rooney though, at least in rotation with our forward line (from his first spell at Everton).  Beyond that i'm struggling. Obviously the likes of Gazza or Ginola were well past it when they went there.

Yet the amount of times the Echo or blues would run combined XI's with half their players in ours.

There was always an argument that Everton had a better left back until Robertson signed.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9891 on: February 13, 2024, 08:15:10 am »
Even prior to Klopp, everton's own survey produced figures of 50% reds, 25% blues and 25% no interest for the football support in the city and you'd have to think their position has dropped from that level by now too.
So... 50% Reds, and 50% no interest in football?
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #9892 on: February 13, 2024, 09:00:24 am »
I'd be embarrassed to support Everton. Theyre desperate wannabees without even the conscience to appreciate how poor at everything they are. They cannot even cheat properly without being embarrassingly shit at it. They cannot even gas light without being equally terrible at it. They are shit at every single aspect of anything they try. Their utter and dismal failure at all things is like a gift. It is the only thing they are successful at. Being an embarrassment. But they have no shame nor cognisance of their failings. Its always someone elses fault, never their own. What a miserable existence, wallowing in the glory of the peoples cup. Spending millions on players that wouldnt get in my grandaughters schools 2nd XI. Building a stadium next to a sewage works that will hang round their necks like a turd that just wont flush. A lot of the aroma that will hang over it like a fugue will be delivered via reds. What will they build to obscure the smell of our shite? Another big blue air freshener? Will they divert our pooh to another works because they cant stand that our pooh probably smells redish.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Online jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #9893 on: February 13, 2024, 09:26:49 am »

There was always an argument that Everton had a better left back until Robertson signed.

To be fair Baines was a good player at his peak. The only one of their players I would have taken at the time.

Online Kloppage Time

• Main Stander
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #9894 on: February 13, 2024, 09:51:20 am »
the 10 point deduction will be reduced on appeal and any points deduction due for the latest infraction will be allotted to next season, as the thread states they're unflushable
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #9895 on: February 13, 2024, 09:56:45 am »

Yeah Baines was a decent left back. Mainly because it was our graveyard position for so long. I'd say Aurelio was better when actually fit though. Baines was durable.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #9896 on: February 13, 2024, 09:57:41 am »
the 10 point deduction will be reduced on appeal and any points deduction due for the latest infraction will be allotted to next season, as the thread states they're unflushable
Allotted to next season? So why hear it before the end of this season? 
Don’t think they will get a second points deduction, but if they did, it would absolutely be for this season.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9897 on: February 13, 2024, 09:58:05 am »

Would sum them up if that happens and they stay up because Forest lose 10.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #9898 on: February 13, 2024, 09:58:11 am »
Anyway, they get some points back, Forest get hammered and they’re safe. 
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9899 on: February 13, 2024, 10:06:56 am »
To think that Blackburn Rovers and Leicester have both won the title in the Premier League era and been relegated - yet any number of online Everton fans are convinced that PL and Sky have kept Everton in a box for the past 20 years because they don't want their top 4/5/6 cartel threatened.

I'd say the absolute opposite would have been true.

Popcorn's Art

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9900 on: February 13, 2024, 11:23:49 am »
Just so I understand this:

Can the appeals' panel only uphold the appeal or reject it? As in, can they only confirm the original punishment is fair, wrong or too lenient?

A part of me wonders if the PL requested 12 points knowing Everton would appeal, so there would be scope to increase the deduction if the appeal fails. I certainly don't want the punishment reduced solely on the grounds that it's poor little Everton and that they face financial oblivion if they're not let off. That isn't the PL's problem.

We are in unknown territory here because a club has never been daft enough to deliberately breach PSR. Never mind then plead guilty but still appeal.

My understanding is that Everton have two ways to reduce the penalty. Firstly to show there was a procedural error. Secondly to show that the original panel gave an unreasonable punishment in essence that the punishment was excessively severe.

The first one is implausible given who was on the panel.

The second one has happened before Sheff Wed had a 12-point penalty reduced on appeal to 6 points regarding their failure to sell Hillsborough. The issue though is that the EFL does have a formula for working out punishments and previous precedents.

If the appeal panel does agree to use the formula that the PL proposed then the punishment would start at 9 points before mitigating factors and aggravating factors. Everton's problem though is that their mitigations were fanciful and rightly laughed away. Whilst that genius Moshiri admitted to breaching PSR because not doing so would have left them without a midfield.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #9901 on: February 13, 2024, 11:37:55 am »
Fury amongst Ev blues as MNF does piece on Alonso.

Genuinely triggered even though MNF usually does big sections on general football rather than just the game they’re about to show.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9902 on: February 13, 2024, 11:49:35 am »
I blame Hans Segars.

I blame his cousin - Feet Nintendoes.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9903 on: February 13, 2024, 12:22:18 pm »
To think that Blackburn Rovers and Leicester have both won the title in the Premier League era and been relegated - yet any number of online Everton fans are convinced that PL and Sky have kept Everton in a box for the past 20 years because they don't want their top 4/5/6 cartel threatened.

I'd say the absolute opposite would have been true.

They've been terribly run throughout the PL era is the reality. They had a decade where they overachieved under Moyes (while never really achieving anything ultimately) because they were skint. They never had a pot to piss in under Kenwright and were trying to geg in on a groundshare with us, move to Kirkby or fail to come up with funds for the Kings Dock.

Then they were 'fucking rich' and spunked the lot on shite by the time Usmanov (who the corrupt PL let launder his dirty money into Everton) was sanctioned.

People always used to go on about the 'big 4'. Then it was a big 6. What have Spurs done to gatecrash that? Obviously not win trophies but they've made sound decisions off the pitch and they never went on mad spending sprees either

Evertonians spent decades blaming Heysel for their decline and now the Premier League are to blame. They were a goal away from relegation last season. Had they gone down it'd the EFL docking them points, but now everything is the Premer League's fault and naturally even within that Liverpool are to blame, given we helped push for FFP.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 12:34:11 pm by Fromola »

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9904 on: February 13, 2024, 12:28:10 pm »
We are in unknown territory here because a club has never been daft enough to deliberately breach PSR. Never mind then plead guilty but still appeal.

My understanding is that Everton have two ways to reduce the penalty. Firstly to show there was a procedural error. Secondly to show that the original panel gave an unreasonable punishment in essence that the punishment was excessively severe.

The second one has happened before Sheff Wed had a 12-point penalty reduced on appeal to 6 points regarding their failure to sell Hillsborough. The issue though is that the EFL does have a formula for working out punishments and previous precedents.

If the appeal panel does agree to use the formula that the PL proposed then the punishment would start at 9 points before mitigating factors and aggravating factors. Everton's problem though is that their mitigations were fanciful and rightly laughed away. Whilst that genius Moshiri admitted to breaching PSR because not doing so would have left them without a midfield.

In 2020, with Covid in full swing and Everton losing hundred of millions via Covid losses (purely genuine) they went out and spent 20 miillion on Doucore and 20 million on Allan and still had the likes of Gomes and Delph on 100 grand a week sat on the bench. Even if they wanted to strengthen they didn't have to spend that much.

They were one of the few clubs to spend money that summer. Since then they've added Garner, Gana and Onana to their midfield.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9905 on: February 13, 2024, 01:01:41 pm »
In 2020, with Covid in full swing and Everton losing hundred of millions via Covid losses (purely genuine) they went out and spent 20 miillion on Doucore and 20 million on Allan and still had the likes of Gomes and Delph on 100 grand a week sat on the bench. Even if they wanted to strengthen they didn't have to spend that much.

They were one of the few clubs to spend money that summer. Since then they've added Garner, Gana and Onana to their midfield.

Almost like they signed the wrong one by mistake so had to go buy the player they ACTUALLY wanted.
Like when you were a kid and you'd ask your parents for a very specific thing and they'd either get the wrong thing entirely or they'd talked to 'someone who knows' and this is actually the better one. No really. Sigh.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #9906 on: February 13, 2024, 01:20:26 pm »

The other point to add here is that shouting corruption hardly helps their case. To reduce the points deduction now would give those claims credibility while also setting a precedent for every other club that gets a point deduction.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #9907 on: February 13, 2024, 01:28:36 pm »
Fury amongst Ev blues as MNF does piece on Alonso.

Genuinely triggered even though MNF usually does big sections on general football rather than just the game they’re about to show.

Its triggered a number of City fans too. They seem to struggle with the concept of Carra putting a poll out and asking for a subject to speak on.

Had one city fan ask why Girona Vs Madrid wasn't an option

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9908 on: February 13, 2024, 01:33:17 pm »

This is, and always will be, the crux of the matter. As long as they blame Liverpool or the 'red cartel' for their issues, they'll never fix their issues. They could have blamed their own management for the cheating, but instead they're blaming the Premier League for noticing and punishing their cheating.

It's gone on for so many years now that I can't see them ever rolling back from their position that everything Everton does badly is the fault of everyone else and never the fault of Everton. It means there's never any real pressure on the club to improve.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9909 on: February 13, 2024, 01:36:43 pm »
They plead guilty, then try to bullshit their way through mitigating circumstances with creative accounting; shifting money around, changing definitions, mislabelling allocations etc. Then they cry when their lies don't sway the panel.

Now they appeal because they're claiming not enough weight was given to their extenuating circumstances, despite the mitigation being exposed as bs and receiving multiple warnings over around 18 months that they were heading in the wrong direction and getting worse.

If this appeal is upheld then what's the fucking point of football anymore?

Popcorn's Art

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9910 on: February 13, 2024, 01:55:11 pm »

If this appeal is upheld then what's the fucking point of football anymore?

If it is upheld or there is a reduced penalty, clubs will go back to spending as they have in the hope of a lesser sanction on appeal

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9911 on: February 13, 2024, 02:04:45 pm »
Why do they think there's a big conspiracy? Why on earth would the PL have anything against Everton in particular? 😂

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9912 on: February 13, 2024, 02:18:52 pm »
Seen a discussion before about Premier League-era Everton teams. Would there be any PL era Everton player who'd get in our side now? A peak Beardsley or Rooney would (neither of which Everton got in the Premier League, similar with PL era Southall). I'd still say Rooney though, at least in rotation with our forward line (from his first spell at Everton).  Beyond that i'm struggling. Obviously the likes of Gazza or Ginola were well past it when they went there.

Yet the amount of times the Echo or blues would run combined XI's with half their players in ours.

Cahill and Rooney (1st spell) are the main two I can think of.

As others have said, Baines was probably better than our left backs other than Robertson and a fit Aurelio.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #9913 on: February 13, 2024, 02:19:18 pm »
This is, and always will be, the crux of the matter. As long as they blame Liverpool or the 'red cartel' for their issues, they'll never fix their issues. They could have blamed their own management for the cheating, but instead they're blaming the Premier League for noticing and punishing their cheating.

It's gone on for so many years now that I can't see them ever rolling back from their position that everything Everton does badly is the fault of everyone else and never the fault of Everton. It means there's never any real pressure on the club to improve.

In a nutshell.

It's an attitude that lets the cycle of madness continue unabated. Actually, it's something that affects many individuals in life, so it's not just a collective malaise like it is at Goodison.

There are certain people who do not accept any responsibility for their situations. In doing so, they create their our hopelessness, their own malaise and their own helplessness. Because they convince themselves their problems are all the fault of someone else, they absolve themselves of any responsibility to do something about their circumstances and improve them.

Everton have done this collectively. They've created their own helplessness then revelled in it like pigs in shit. They've absolved themselves of any responsibility for their position and any responsibility for rectifying it.

It's all so very convenient, because it means they don't have to look inwards and self reflect. There is no reflective practice with anything they do. They don't have to be grown up and accept personal responsibility. They can happily play the victim without putting any pressure on themselves to grow up and actually take control of their own destiny.

They're basically lazy cowards. They refuse to self reflect and they refuse to do the hard work. They just want it all to fall into their lap for free. When it doesn't, everyone but them is to blame.

If Everton was an individual, they'd need years of therapy.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #9914 on: February 13, 2024, 02:20:04 pm »
Schmeichel said in an interview that they had to move him on, and wouldn't extend Tielemans because of FFP.
By staying within the P&S rules, Leicester were disadvantaged compared to Everton and that disadvantage may have contributed to their relegation. But the very fact that they did stay within the rules means that relegation was not a complete financial disaster. The rules are there for a purpose and that Everton chose to break them means not only that they cheated but that they put the very existence of their club at risk.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #9915 on: February 13, 2024, 02:29:04 pm »
Why do they think there's a big conspiracy? Why on earth would the PL have anything against Everton in particular? 😂
They live in the delusion that Everton are not only relevant, but also some kind of threat. A threat to what, no one actually knows.

The PL have shown that you can be murderers and cheats. You can be gangsters or pariah states. They'll welcome you to the top table regardless. You can be a existential threat to the game and it's future, but they'll still roll out the red carpet for you. So why they believe little old Everton would be seen as a threat, goodness only knows. Even if they were, why would the PL care when it's proven time and again that it welcomes any scumbag that can cheat it's way to the top table.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 02:31:44 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #9916 on: February 13, 2024, 02:33:33 pm »
To be fair Baines was a good player at his peak. The only one of their players I would have taken at the time.
I think that's fair and I'd have been happy to see him in a red shirt. But he is a reminder of how badly their transfer policy went awry when they became "f***ing rich". Previously they'd done a reasonable job of trawling the "less fashionable" clubs - in the Prem and lower leagues - for solid players at a reasonable price - Tim Cahill, Baines, Jagielka etc. That policy went out of the window with the arrival of Moshiri and they started flinging big money at cast offs from Champions League clubs (players who were cast-offs for good reason). In effect they moved on from decent quality at a fair price from the footballing equivalent of your local high street store to expensive tat from Harrods and they imagined they were better for it  ::)

Online Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9917 on: February 13, 2024, 02:37:21 pm »
If you were to offer them Leicester's past 20 years of league positions, I'm convinced that the majority would turn it down. Not getting relegated is more important to them than winning trophies, as they wouldn't want to sully their reputation. Even if that meant turning down winning League One, the Championship, the Premier League and the FA cup.

The irony now is that not getting relegated is far more important than any trophy. They're fucked if they go down now.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #9918 on: February 13, 2024, 02:43:59 pm »
I think that's fair and I'd have been happy to see him in a red shirt. But he is a reminder of how badly their transfer policy went awry when they became "f***ing rich". Previously they'd done a reasonable job of trawling the "less fashionable" clubs - in the Prem and lower leagues - for solid players at a reasonable price - Tim Cahill, Baines, Jagielka etc. That policy went out of the window with the arrival of Moshiri and they started flinging big money at cast offs from Champions League clubs (players who were cast-offs for good reason). In effect they moved on from decent quality at a fair price from the footballing equivalent of your local high street store to expensive tat from Harrods and they imagined they were better for it  ::)

I met Baines once. Genuinely nice bloke and was happy having a bit of a laugh about the 'rivalry' when I told him I was a red. I suspect he got a lot of that !
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9919 on: February 13, 2024, 02:45:11 pm »
By staying within the P&S rules, Leicester were disadvantaged compared to Everton and that disadvantage may have contributed to their relegation. But the very fact that they did stay within the rules means that relegation was not a complete financial disaster. The rules are there for a purpose and that Everton chose to break them means not only that they cheated but that they put the very existence of their club at risk.

Yep, and now Leicester are smashing it in the Championship with Leeds and Southampton just behind.  It looks nailed on that it will be much tougher to stay in the Premier League next season.  Everton might regret pushing to defer points deductions.