Author Topic: Chelsea - schooled by Liverpool's kids  (Read 213469 times)

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
Re: Chelsea - schooled by Liverpool's kids
« Reply #2960 on: May 22, 2024, 09:18:12 am »
He’d last less time than Potter did at Chelsea.
The biggest joke of a club there is.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2961 on: May 22, 2024, 09:28:17 am »
They’re only toxic until they’re not though. The right appointment can stop the rot and get things moving in the right direction again. McKenna could be that for United. I think they might be the only club that would tempt him to leave Ipswich at this moment in time.

In terms of managers Chelsea is far and away more toxic and would be more of a gamble from his point of view, and I suspect he’d stay put rather than go there.

Brighton might be of more interest as they’re established in the PL but with better structure in place, but I still think he’d like to give Ipswich a season to see what he can do. As I say I think the only team that may tempt him right now is Man Utd, because of his previous ties there and the fact it’s Man Utd

Everything I've seen from Brexit Jim (love that phrase someone else said) is he thinks he's the smartest man in the room, yet really he's a tory, imagine evading £4bil in tax then asking the tax payers to build a stadium for him..

Yeah I'd say he should stay at Ipswich but if he wanted a move Brighton all the way, a very well ran club.

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2962 on: May 22, 2024, 09:42:33 am »
So that will be another £25m in sacking and hiring new managers.

Never seen a club waste so much money. City never wasted it like this.

Hopefully it's Mckenna. Done well at Ipswitch. But that circus is totally different.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • La la la la la
« Reply #2963 on: May 22, 2024, 09:57:13 am »
Brighton is the move he should make if he decides to leave.

100%, McKenna should avoid Chelsea like the plague if he wants his career to go to the next level. In fact any manager with half a brain cell should swerve them if at all possible, unless they are truly desperate.

As for Poch, well, I'm not surprised at all. Hope he's already started his German lessons.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2964 on: May 22, 2024, 10:04:27 am »
Would be great if it's McKenna, obviously done brilliant there but Adkins did the same at Southampton, it's hardly a guarantee of managerial genius. This league and that insane club is a totally different game.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #2965 on: May 22, 2024, 01:39:14 pm »
Brighton is the move he should make if he decides to leave.
I suppose currently it would seem like a step up from Ipswich, but there’s potential for Ipswich to become similar to Brighton (or Brentford) if they can survive next season.
It’s why I think he’s more likely to stay where he is for now
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Enders

• Game. Has a thing for Edward Colanderhands
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez! Allez! Allez!
« Reply #2966 on: May 22, 2024, 01:46:29 pm »
From the Guardian:Talk about the blind leading the blind.
I see what you did there
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline AthleticClub

• Main Stander
« Reply #2967 on: May 22, 2024, 01:46:52 pm »
I suppose currently it would seem like a step up from Ipswich, but there’s potential for Ipswich to become similar to Brighton (or Brentford) if they can survive next season.

There really isn't

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2968 on: May 22, 2024, 01:53:25 pm »
There really isn't
Starting to get away from this being a Chelsea thread, but go on then why not?

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #2969 on: May 22, 2024, 01:53:54 pm »

I want Ipswich to stay given my locality to the club.

But I don’t see the Brighton potential personally. Brighton’s recruitment aligned with good coaching got them into the PL and kept them there. Location of Brighton, new stadium, Brighton as a city, all seemed aligned to them being an established PL club.

Not sure Ipswich have all that. They have a great coach. They have some good players who could thrive at PL level (Davis being one, potentially Broadbead as well). They also have a pretty run of the mill spine to their team with a fair few journeyman. A number of their other promising players last season were loans.

I’d really like them to stay up and they might. It’s still still a big  leap from survival next season to becoming the new Brighton or even Brentford.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2970 on: May 22, 2024, 02:02:15 pm »
I want Ipswich to stay given my locality to the club.

But I don’t see the Brighton potential personally. Brighton’s recruitment aligned with good coaching got them into the PL and kept them there. Location of Brighton, new stadium, Brighton as a city, all seemed aligned to them being an established PL club.

Not sure Ipswich have all that. They have a great coach. They have some good players who could thrive at PL level (Davis being one, potentially Broadbead as well). They also have a pretty run of the mill spine to their team with a fair few journeyman. A number of their other promising players last season were loans.

I’d really like them to stay up and they might. It’s still still a big  leap from survival next season to becoming the new Brighton or even Brentford.
I’m not saying it will happen. It still could all fall apart at this point. Particularly if McKenna goes.

But they’re a similar size club from a support and stadium point of view. They seem to a have a good set up and structure on the football side and have made decent use of loan signings so far. The off field structure is where they’ll need to build and get things right with scouting networks/analytics but as Brighton have shown it’s not impossible.

I can’t recall exactly but Brighton struggled for a few seasons from memory after promotion before properly establishing themselves. While I’m not saying Ipswich will be able to do the same I don’t think it’s completely beyond them.

Offline AthleticClub

• Main Stander
« Reply #2971 on: May 22, 2024, 02:04:10 pm »

Because they will be relegated next year whether he stays there as manager or not. Brighton will not be relegated. The Brighton job would be a massive step up for him in every regard - playing squad, training facility, sport science, stadium to name a few. If he has the choice I'd suggest the following in terms of next season - Man Utd, Brighton, Chelsea, Ipswich in that order

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2972 on: May 22, 2024, 02:04:50 pm »
my speculation:

Circus - de Zerbi
Bayern - Poch
MU - Tuchel

and they'll all soon end in tears. 

lots and lots and lots of tears.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2973 on: May 22, 2024, 02:06:04 pm »
Brighton have been backed by Bloom to around £400m, rely on his data company and spent years building up their recruitment, scouting and contacts. I can't see Ipswich getting the chance to do that. They may be a Burnley under Dyche who with a manager and recruitment geared towards them can hang about for a while.

I do find it a bit mad how McKenna is getting linked to these jobs. Feels like Frank is getting looked over because he's kept a side up repeatedly rather than just promotion playing nice football

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #2974 on: May 22, 2024, 02:09:31 pm »
my speculation:

Circus - de Zerbi
Bayern - Poch
MU - Tuchel

and they'll all soon end in tears. 

lots and lots and lots of tears.
I very much doubt that Brexit Jim would hire a German.
Could be wrong like.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2975 on: May 22, 2024, 02:12:04 pm »
Because they will be relegated next year whether he stays there as manager or not. Brighton will not be relegated. The Brighton job would be a massive step up for him in every regard - playing squad, training facility, sport science, stadium to name a few. If he has the choice I'd suggest the following in terms of next season - Man Utd, Brighton, Chelsea, Ipswich in that order
I think you’ve missed the point. Brighton weren’t the club they are now when they got promoted. They had to build up all of those things you mention, as will Ipswich. Although stadium and support wise they’re already very similar.

I suspect when Brighton got promoted everyone said they’d be relegated too.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #2976 on: May 22, 2024, 02:14:04 pm »
A lot of managers, McKenna included, will be very wary about going there. They are making - or have made the position - very very unattractive to any younger manager. Why the hell would they risk it. McKenna could do another 12 months at Ipswich and if he does a really good job in the PL then he will get offers from some bigger clubs. Hell, Kompany is being linked with the Bayern job and they just got booted all over the place in the PL.

Chelsea have made themselves exceptionally unattractive to a lot of potential managers.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2977 on: May 22, 2024, 02:15:28 pm »
Brighton have been backed by Bloom to around £400m, rely on his data company and spent years building up their recruitment, scouting and contacts. I can't see Ipswich getting the chance to do that. They may be a Burnley under Dyche who with a manager and recruitment geared towards them can hang about for a while.

I do find it a bit mad how McKenna is getting linked to these jobs. Feels like Frank is getting looked over because he's kept a side up repeatedly rather than just promotion playing nice football
Perhaps becoming the next Brighton will be a step too far but there is potential in Ipswich. I don’t think the owners now are afraid to spend money and will be looking to emulate the likes of Brighton and Brentford (who may be a more realistic model).

Offline AthleticClub

• Main Stander
« Reply #2978 on: May 22, 2024, 02:16:40 pm »
I think you’ve missed the point. Brighton weren’t the club they are now when they got promoted. They had to build up all of those things you mention, as will Ipswich. Although stadium and support wise they’re already very similar.

I suspect when Brighton got promoted everyone said they’d be relegated too.

I think you have missed what happened at Brighton. Bloom invested an absolute fortune before they even got to the Premier League. The only way Ipswich could possibly reach Brighton's level is with hundreds of millions invested, which isn't going to happen. Only other way is this lad is a generational manager, he did well this year but there's been plenty of better sides in the championship so I'm not seeing anything to suggests he's the next Ferguson, or even Moyes to be honest.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2979 on: May 22, 2024, 02:21:44 pm »
Ipswich haven’t done what they’ve done through luck, they already have a good structure in place. While clearly not the same or in the same league as Brighton’s currently it doesn’t mean they can’t follow a similar path. I guess we’ll begin to find out in a few months.  Oh and by my count there was only one better side in the Championship this season.

Anyway this is Chelsea thread and conscious I’ve derailed it enough now.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 02:23:19 pm by duvva 💅 »

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #2980 on: May 22, 2024, 02:22:36 pm »
Perhaps becoming the next Brighton will be a step too far but there is potential in Ipswich. I don’t think the owners now are afraid to spend money and will be looking to emulate the likes of Brighton and Brentford (who may be a more realistic model).

I agree there’s potential at Ipswich. They have what looks like a really promising coach. Their support is miles bigger than most realise. I think they’d sell out 35-40k most weeks PL. they probably would have this season in the Championship.

As others have said it’s the infrastructure, scouting networks etc.. they are miles behind most PL clubs and would take years to get to same level as even most mid table clubs. I know the stadium isn’t as good as Brightons and guessing training facilities aren’t either.

I think Ipswich would need at least 3 years in PL and continued investment in infrastructure to build into a mid table club. It’s possible but the hurdle is really high.

Like I said earlier, I’d really like them to become an established PL club. Massive buzz for the town and rest of Suffolk to have a PL club. You could feel that buzz massively as it led up to promotion and I don’t live in Ipswich myself.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 02:24:57 pm by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #2981 on: May 22, 2024, 02:27:09 pm »
So then, Chelsea?  :P

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2982 on: May 22, 2024, 02:28:54 pm »
I agree there’s potential at Ipswich. They have what looks like a really promising coach. Their support is miles bigger than most realise. I think they’d sell out 35-40k most weeks PL. they probably would have this season in the Championship.

As others have said it’s the infrastructure, scouting networks etc.. they are miles behind most PL clubs and would take years to get to same level as even most mid table clubs. I know the stadium isn’t as good as Brightons and guessing training facilities aren’t either.

I think Ipswich would need at least 3 years in PL and continued investment in infrastructure to build into a mid table club. It’s possible but the hurdle is really high.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying it’ll happen overnight. Brighton spent their first four seasons fighting relegation and Ipswich will have to do similar. But if they can beat the drop for a few seasons I think they can establish themselves if the investment is there.

I live just outside Ipswich so also understand and felt the recent feel good factor.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 02:32:47 pm by duvva 💅 »

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2983 on: May 22, 2024, 02:30:01 pm »
Sorry Terry. Please feel free to get back to laughing at the horrible fuckers :)

Online S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #2984 on: May 22, 2024, 04:38:06 pm »
Why isn’t Emery linked with any jobs?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2985 on: May 22, 2024, 04:57:21 pm »

Signed a new deal towards the end of the season

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2986 on: May 22, 2024, 05:08:56 pm »

Villa are a better club to manage than Chelsea who sack you after 12 months.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #2987 on: May 22, 2024, 05:19:03 pm »
I see what you did there

Which is more than Señor Feliciano did.
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #2988 on: May 22, 2024, 05:19:47 pm »

I suspect he's very happy at Villa (for now at least).
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2989 on: May 22, 2024, 05:25:23 pm »
Bit late here but holy shit they've actually sacked him

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2990 on: May 22, 2024, 05:47:26 pm »
Surprised at the surprise many have had in the media (and on Rawk!) with his sacking. 6th place and no trophies with the amount of money spent (players were shit, yes) is abject failure. There's enough proof too now that he can't win trophies in England, I don't think he could with someone ready to challenge either like Man City. He might be one of the ultimate 'yesterday's man' candidates who keeps getting jobs, even with Tottenham all his best work happened leading up to 2017. Even when they got to a Champions League final they were already on the slide. So he's basically done about one impressive thing in the last 7 years and didn't even win a trophy for it.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2991 on: May 22, 2024, 05:54:43 pm »
Surprised at the surprise many have had in the media (and on Rawk!) with his sacking. 6th place and no trophies with the amount of money spent (players were shit, yes) is abject failure. There's enough proof too now that he can't win trophies in England, I don't think he could with someone ready to challenge either like Man City. He might be one of the ultimate 'yesterday's man' candidates who keeps getting jobs, even with Tottenham all his best work happened leading up to 2017. Even when they got to a Champions League final they were already on the slide. So he's basically done about one impressive thing in the last 7 years and didn't even win a trophy for it.
I'm no fan of his by any stretch, but he was handed a nonsense squad, a boatload of mish-mash shit overpriced players - which means he was faced with lineup permutations galore to try out / sort through - yet he failed" abjectly" coz he only got to 6th?

harsh imo.

not that I really care mind you  :)

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2992 on: May 22, 2024, 06:00:06 pm »
I'm no fan of his by any stretch, but he was handed a nonsense squad, a boatload of mish-mash shit overpriced players - which means he was faced with lineup permutations galore to try out / sort through - yet he failed" abjectly" coz he only got to 6th?

harsh imo.

not that I really care mind you  :)

By their own standards of winning loads in the 21st century I think you could call it that. If he'd done the same thing with say Brentford (obviously spending much less money in the process too) I'd say he would be manager of the season.

Of course they did sign some shit players but altogether he should have made something work when you consider they did have some okay players there already and a big academy. 4th place should have been their minimum requirement I think, ahead of Spurs and Villa.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2993 on: May 22, 2024, 06:27:36 pm »

Broadly agree. He's the most overrated manager of his generation, with Tuchel a close second. It's going to be funny if the Mancs hire either.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #2994 on: May 22, 2024, 06:30:53 pm »

Fcuk 'em.

That is all.  ;D
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2995 on: May 23, 2024, 02:37:10 am »
Chelsea have made themselves exceptionally unattractive to a lot of potential managers.

Or very attractive depending on which way you look at it..
Go there, work 6-12 months on a shed load of money, get sacked, get huge payoff, set for life.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #2996 on: May 23, 2024, 12:22:31 pm »
No top manager will want to touch them with a pole. Not unless you're planning for the payoff when you eventually do get sacked.

The only way they get out of this mess is if they hire someone new and upcoming and give him time to transform almost everything. Which they probably won't do.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #2997 on: May 23, 2024, 12:55:17 pm »
No top manager will want to touch them with a pole. Not unless you're planning for the payoff when you eventually do get sacked.

The only way they get out of this mess is if they hire someone new and upcoming and give him time to transform almost everything. Which they probably won't do.

I don't think Chelsea have the time nor patience to allow a younger manager to develop. They also probably don't have a lot of scope for transformation of the squad as so many of them have long contracts. It will be a case of managing who is already there and getting the most out of them.

Chelsea have spent a lot of money on players and their contracts and they need to start to see progress. That probably means a manager who is well known and has previous success. He'll have to be firm and clear and show early progress. For me that rules out a lot of younger managers who cannot demonstrate success at a smaller club. They may have a to throw a lot of money at the problem and wrestle an established manager away from a top club. Although he is probably too old, I wouldn't be surprised if they went after the likes of Gasperini as he might be able to move them forwards pretty quickly. I'm sure he's waiting for a call from a top club who wil pay him lots more than he is currently on. Stranger things have happened.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 12:59:05 pm by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2998 on: May 23, 2024, 08:17:05 pm »
Chelsea tonight asking Leicester for permission to speak to Enzo Maresca.  ;D

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2999 on: May 23, 2024, 10:54:51 pm »
Chelsea tonight asking Leicester for permission to speak to Enzo Maresca.  ;D

Incredible that they seemingly sacked Pochettino without a clear replacement in mind. I'd assumed they had already decided to revisit their lost love Tuchel, or felt they couldn't risk missing out on Amorim, but no.

I would not be remotely surprised if their criteria for hiring Maresca is: "he was a coach under Guardiola, is young, and tries to play football like Guardiola, so you never know, he might be the next Guardiola".

The funny thing is that there was a very sizeable chunk of Leicester fans who wanted Maresca sacked when they hit that slump and blew their huge lead at the top of the table. He performed as expected given Leicester's squad, and doesn't even have the fan adoration that Edwards had at Luton or McKenna at Ipswich.

And now he's being thrown into a $1bn+ squad of players who know he'll be out by Christmas if they don't perform, while they still have 7 years left on their contracts. Recipe for success if I ever saw one.