Author Topic: Arsenal: Top of the divers league  (Read 392623 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Reply #7200 on: April 10, 2024, 01:30:14 pm »
Yes, good as usual from SG. Bayern looked more potent than I expected.

I have one quibble though. It's extremely rare for a player to pick up the ball after the whistle has blown for a corner or a free kick and a teammate has already responded by playing the ball. In fact I'm not sure I've seen that happen. Arsenal got away with one there.

This is one of the reasons I really dislike Bayern. All season they've flattered themselves yet now they decide to show up, if I was a Bayern fan, I'd be asking where has this team been the rest of the time? Probably why I have little sympathy for them.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #7201 on: April 10, 2024, 01:32:09 pm »
Deciding a cl tie on that wouldn’t be for me. Wouldn’t want a pen if Bayern did that. If we cant beat them then so be it.

Obviously they need to be careful (I think if the ball doesnt leave the 6 yard box its not in play) the ref could’ve given it , but he did the right thing there.
The ball was out of the 6 yard box by the time Gabriel handled.  ;)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #7202 on: April 10, 2024, 01:33:39 pm »
Yeah, awful dive by Saka there. Similar to the Harvey Elliot dive the other day. Wan Bissaka's "tackle" didn't touch Elliot either and then Elliot looked for contact. https://twitter.com/UtdFaithfuls/status/1777226859727515770

Need to coach Saka better when it comes to diving.

You sir are a fucking imbecile and should be kicked off the boards. His left knee/shin clips Elliott's right foot and then where is he supposed to plant his leg after that?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7203 on: April 10, 2024, 01:34:42 pm »
Crowd seemed more nervous than the players.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7204 on: April 10, 2024, 01:34:50 pm »
Yeah, awful dive by Saka there. Similar to the Harvey Elliot dive the other day. Wan Bissaka's "tackle" didn't touch Elliot either and then Elliot looked for contact. https://twitter.com/UtdFaithfuls/status/1777226859727515770

Utter nonsense.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7205 on: April 10, 2024, 01:39:16 pm »
Only skimmed over the last page or 2, but here’s my take on last night.

Thought we played the occasion and not the game. We went 1-0 and instead of playing clever football, it was as if we wanted to go out and kill the tie n leg 1, and got hit with a couple of really good counters. Struggled to get back to impose our game afterwards, and Bayern looked quite dangerous throughout. We aren’t great when we are drawn into games like that, it’s what Utd try and drag you into. That turns it more into a game of individuals, and then guys like Sane and Kane attacking wise are better than our equivalent.

I didn’t think the Saka incident was a penalty. Not sure it’s a dive as blatant as folk are making out, there is a view where Neuer makes a step towards him and you might think maybe, but there’s another view that seems to show Saka dangling his leg or even moving it towards contact.

I thought a lot of the diving etc was exaggerated a few months ago, I didn’t think we were any worse or any better than anyone else. We’ve a couple of players that seem serial ‘downers’ and moan (like Jesus) But I’ve not likes what I’ve seen the past few weeks from Ben White and Havertz, and maybe even Saka there. I get that gamesmanship is a part of the game but to me, we’re going too far, and especially Havertz seems like a repeat offender. I remember him doing similar at Chelsea, I’d prefer he didn’t do it at Arsenal.

As for the Bayern complaints, I’m not having that. There’s been plenty incidents where the ref has blown for a free kick or corner to be taken for instance, someone touches it and a player will grab the ball and re-position it. Be it a misunderstanding or whatever, but I don’t think I ever remember seeing an incident like that punished.

Anyway, still in the game at least, going to Munich wipnt be easy but if we play our game and not the occasion it might suit us more being the away team. Got to say Bayern are favourites now though.

I do think Arsenal were lucky with the idiot's penalty that the ref let go. Otherwise fair summation (from what I saw). Both Bayern goals had elements of uncharacteristic Arsenal defending in them. Maybe it was luck for Bayern or maybe this is just the way things go at times. The best of players can make an error, we've certainly done it, gave you the game at Arsenal and threw away 2 points last weekend on wildly unusual errors.
So maybe this incredible run of organised, coherent defending, never conceding first and not making errors is coming to an end ?
Welcome back to our world !!

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7206 on: April 10, 2024, 01:43:19 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I want Arsenal to go through and face City in a 2-legged semi which would massively help us, but I really think its unlikely now. I make it at least 60/40 on Bayern progressing. The other tie is much the same, about 60/40 in favour of City.

At least Arsenal will have to focus on the second leg in any case and even better if they can take it to 120 mins, just a pity Villa are also distracted for this Sunday. Arsenal away to Wolves 3 days after away to Munich is a potential banana-skin though.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7207 on: April 10, 2024, 01:56:15 pm »
This is one of the reasons I really dislike Bayern. All season they've flattered themselves yet now they decide to show up, if I was a Bayern fan, I'd be asking where has this team been the rest of the time? Probably why I have little sympathy for them.

For most of the season Bayern have not been that bad, it was just they were in the shadow of Leverkusen's incredible season.
They went undefeated in the CL group stage and were going along at 2.5 ppg in the league until they lost to Leverkusen in Feb, which is when the wobbles really started.

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #7208 on: April 10, 2024, 02:02:47 pm »
I think the ref was absolutely right not to give a pen for that handball. That's a moment of confusion not any attempt to gain an advantage by cheating. Rare case of common sense refereeing.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7209 on: April 10, 2024, 02:02:57 pm »

:lmao
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7210 on: April 10, 2024, 02:07:16 pm »
City aside, those clubs earned the money and spending power with success. And they sell players to balance it at least somewhat. Yous on the other hand have been shite for years until last season, don't sell anyone for significant money, and still you've out-spent all those teams you mentioned over the past few years. And that's just in comparison to the really mega clubs - you're (net) out-spending a "normally aspirated" club like Liverpool by a factor of four since 2019.

But still, every time there's a result that doesn't go your way, or even the slightest bit of adversity, you're straight on here talking about what the next huge signing should be.

It's the same shit every time with you. Win a game and it's "everything is amazing... Arteta is a genius". Don't win a game and it's "need to spend another £100m...blah blah whataboutery".

So tiresome.

I need to pick up on this point, I’ve spoken about it before with regards our finances, but remember football finances are more than just Transfers in and Transfers out. We’ve cut our cloth on other areas, we actually reduced our wage bill at one point, made redundancies (who can forget Gunnersaurus) post Covid and when we didn’t qualify for Europe, as that meant a much reduced revenue.

Our owners only really became engaged in the last few years, realised they had dropped the ball and that they needed to do something about it. They allowed us to restructure the stadium debt to free up some money, they’ve allowed us to sustain manageable losses to help us to invest enough to improve the team, which in turn will improve overall revenues. But they aren’t handing us hundreds of millions every year for transfers, nearly all of it is club earned or will be club paid.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 02:09:06 pm by ScottishGoon »

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #7211 on: April 10, 2024, 02:16:04 pm »
They play like Atletico Madrid. It's sad really.

I'm not sure thats true. For Atletico that approach has got them some incredible achievements. They've been a real force in Europe in particular, I don't honestly know how they play domestically but I get the impression a lot of Spanish teams are pretty...divey.

But Arsenal was so much more last night, it was ingrained. It was so odd to watch, almost like Pavlovs dog. Like they'd been conditioned to dive, regardless of the situation, to their own detriment. Saka is obviously the one that will remain in peoples minds, diving when he could have scored a winner. But they were all at it, in promising situations. Havertz has done it in very promising positions recently. Rice dived last night on the edge of his own area. It was fascinating. You wonder if they walk around supermarkets chucking themselves into the cornflakes if a trolley goes near them.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7212 on: April 10, 2024, 02:22:47 pm »
City aside, those clubs earned the money and spending power with success. And they sell players to balance it at least somewhat. Yous on the other hand have been shite for years until last season, don't sell anyone for significant money, and still you've out-spent all those teams you mentioned over the past few years. And that's just in comparison to the really mega clubs - you're (net) out-spending a "normally aspirated" club like Liverpool by a factor of four since 2019.

But still, every time there's a result that doesn't go your way, or even the slightest bit of adversity, you're straight on here talking about what the next huge signing should be.

It's the same shit every time with you. Win a game and it's "everything is amazing... Arteta is a genius". Don't win a game and it's "need to spend another £100m...blah blah whataboutery".

So tiresome.

This is spot on.

Over £800 million in the last five seasons. Its a truly eye-watering amount of money spent on players, not to mention the eye-watering wages given to players who will be asking for further pay rises. Ramsdales apparently on like £140k a week. Given the likes of Saka, Saliba, Martinelli etc etc vast pay rises when they've not achieved anything. Its a recipe for disaster, one season out of the CL would be an absolute catastrophe.

Offline Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #7213 on: April 10, 2024, 02:25:48 pm »
Not heard from the referee to be fair. Tuchel is a bit of a nutcase so I wouldn’t totally believe everything he says.

Don't really need to hear from the referee or Tuchel there, it's pretty clear cut, if a bit ridiculous that it happened at all. Akin to a goalie carrying the ball over the goal line I would say - harsh, but those are the rules.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7214 on: April 10, 2024, 02:50:09 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I want Arsenal to go through and face City in a 2-legged semi which would massively help us, but I really think its unlikely now. I make it at least 60/40 on Bayern progressing. The other tie is much the same, about 60/40 in favour of City.

At least Arsenal will have to focus on the second leg in any case and even better if they can take it to 120 mins, just a pity Villa are also distracted for this Sunday. Arsenal away to Wolves 3 days after away to Munich is a potential banana-skin though.

Given the respective VAR/reffing treatment of both teams of late, I expect Ben White to grab the Wolves keeper's foot and use it to repeatedly kick his own groin, after which he'll be awarded a penalty for each impact.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7215 on: April 10, 2024, 02:58:22 pm »

Are you drunk?

He clips Elliots leg AND wipes out his back leg.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7216 on: April 10, 2024, 03:00:43 pm »
I think the ref was absolutely right not to give a pen for that handball. That's a moment of confusion not any attempt to gain an advantage by cheating. Rare case of common sense refereeing.

What was the moment of confusion? Raya played the "clever" no look pass to start the play like he has 500 times this season. Gabriel had a brain fart and picked it up.

Bayern players saw it right away.

No confusion at all.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #7217 on: April 10, 2024, 03:06:45 pm »

You could be right but it’s the rarity of refs applying common sense (especially as far as lfc is concerned) that make such calls inconsistent and therefore feels like they got away with one nevertheless.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #7218 on: April 10, 2024, 03:08:20 pm »
How come the ref whistled? Wouldn’t normally whistle to restart the game with a goal
Kick would they (maybe I’ve just not been paying attention for the last 40 years!).

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7219 on: April 10, 2024, 03:09:54 pm »
How come the ref whistled? Wouldn’t normally whistle to restart the game with a goal
Kick would they (maybe I’ve just not been paying attention for the last 40 years!).

You don't have to whistle, but you can.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #7220 on: April 10, 2024, 03:14:31 pm »
Are you drunk?

He clips Elliots leg AND wipes out his back leg.

he knows. He was posting all that nonsense trying to bait people here last night for some reason.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7221 on: April 10, 2024, 03:19:08 pm »
I think the ref was really good and doesnt deserve this to count against him, Id hate him to stop using common sense because of this wild backlash, then people will complain that the ref “never played the game” and doesnt use common sense.

Hes been accused of corruption and worse, getting out of order to be honest, he was excellent, made me forget Var existed.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7222 on: April 10, 2024, 03:45:14 pm »
I think the ref was really good and doesnt deserve this to count against him, Id hate him to stop using common sense because of this wild backlash, then people will complain that the ref “never played the game” and doesnt use common sense.

Hes been accused of corruption and worse, getting out of order to be honest, he was excellent, made me forget Var existed.
Maybe Gabriel will pick the ball up as it’s rolling into Arsenal’s goal next as he might think the attacker is just kicking the ball to him to take a goal kick or something.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 03:51:58 pm by JRed »

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7223 on: April 10, 2024, 03:47:52 pm »
It wasn't corruption, he just chose not to apply the very clear rules for some reason. It doesn't diminish from a very good performance where he didn't buy all of the diving from Arsenal, but its still not a good look that he knew it should have been a penalty but just decided it shouldn't be....because it'd be a silly one. By not giving it he's made it just as big an issue as if he had.

I suspect it won't make a vast difference as I'm sure it'll fire Bayern up for the second leg

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7224 on: April 10, 2024, 03:49:40 pm »

ohh, the ref was excellent yesterday.

Want rules and protocols to be followed? That's what VAR did after they said "check complete" and fucked up Luis Diaz' goal against Tottenham. Just use common sense at times.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7225 on: April 10, 2024, 03:53:32 pm »
ohh, the ref was excellent yesterday.

Want rules and protocols to be followed? That's what VAR did after they said "check complete" and fucked up Luis Diaz' goal against Tottenham. Just use common sense at times.
But they didn’t follow protocols did they?
I really am amazed that you are still allowed to post on here.

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7226 on: April 10, 2024, 03:55:54 pm »
I need to pick up on this point, I’ve spoken about it before with regards our finances, but remember football finances are more than just Transfers in and Transfers out. We’ve cut our cloth on other areas, we actually reduced our wage bill at one point, made redundancies (who can forget Gunnersaurus) post Covid and when we didn’t qualify for Europe, as that meant a much reduced revenue.

Our owners only really became engaged in the last few years, realised they had dropped the ball and that they needed to do something about it. They allowed us to restructure the stadium debt to free up some money, they’ve allowed us to sustain manageable losses to help us to invest enough to improve the team, which in turn will improve overall revenues. But they aren’t handing us hundreds of millions every year for transfers, nearly all of it is club earned or will be club paid.
Just need to directly sell a couple of players to sportswashers like in the days of Wenger or indirectly benefit from a sportswashing triangle trade. That definitely sorts out net spend.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7227 on: April 10, 2024, 03:56:52 pm »
Was the incident with Gabriel even mentioned in commentary last night? I might have missed it but I didn’t even know it had happened and never even heard it discussed until Tuchel mentioned it after the game.

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7228 on: April 10, 2024, 03:56:56 pm »
But they didn’t follow protocols did they?
I really am amazed that you are still allowed to post on here.
Before the wrong decision they did not. But after that they suddenly decided not to use common sense and follow protocol. There was this argument between a former ref and Merson on this too.

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7229 on: April 10, 2024, 03:58:30 pm »
Was the incident with Gabriel even mentioned in commentary last night? I might have missed it but I didn’t even know it had happened and never even heard it discussed until Tuchel mentioned it after the game.
Nothing on commentary.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7230 on: April 10, 2024, 04:00:49 pm »
It wasn't mentioned by Fletch and Macca, therefore it doesn't count :D

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7231 on: April 10, 2024, 04:03:19 pm »
Maybe Gabriel will pick the ball up as it’s rolling into Arsenal’s goal next as he might think the attacker is just kicking the ball to him to take a goal kick or something.

This referee, it was the first time he officiates a match in CL knock outs and he did a great job. I didnt like what Tuchel said, I understand hes upset, but he came across very personal, and the ref has no platform to defend himself or what he said to the Bayern players, if anything.
Tuchel came across as saying hes more upset with the explanation than the decision, we dont know what language the ref used (no idea where hes from) and maybe someone misinterpreted it and now hes the ref that decides “kid’s mistake” when he really should be applauded for applying common sense and understanding that Gabriel was not trying to get any advantage.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 04:06:18 pm by The North Bank »

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7232 on: April 10, 2024, 04:09:51 pm »
This referee, it was the first time he officiates a match in CL knock outs and he did a great job. I didnt like what Tuchel said, I understand hes upset, but he came across very personal, and the ref has no platform to defend himself or what he said to the Bayern players, if anything.
Tuchel came across as saying hes more upset with the explanation than the decision, we dont know what language the ref used (no idea where hes from) and maybe someone misinterpreted it and now hes the ref that decides “kid’s mistake” when he really should be applauded for applying common sense and understanding that Gabriel was not trying to get any advantage.
Just like Odourgard wasn’t ‘trying’ to gain an advantage when he played basketball in the box at Anfield.
It doesn’t matter what he was trying to do or not. It was a penalty.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7233 on: April 10, 2024, 04:16:12 pm »
Its not possible to defend himself...he fucked up, period. Its was a huge mistake. And a massive advantage for Arsenal, as when Harry Kane gets a penalty he inevitably scores it. But the ref had a good game, it hopefully isn't a black mark on him as he'd be a good ref for us to get in the future. His handling of Arsenals diving as North Bank says was exemplary. 

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7234 on: April 10, 2024, 04:16:47 pm »
It wasn't mentioned by Fletch and Macca, therefore it doesn't count :D

Also wasn’t mentioned on the match thread on here, and we know RAWK is the oracle!

So until Tuchel brought it up, no-one really knew anything about it?

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7235 on: April 10, 2024, 04:17:18 pm »
Also wasn’t mentioned on the match thread on here, and we know RAWK is the oracle!

Does that make it not a penalty?

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7236 on: April 10, 2024, 04:22:03 pm »

So if one player is abused verbally by another, in whatever way, during a game and its dealt with afterwards, it should just be swept under the rug because no-one watching noticed during the game?

It was a penalty, very clearly. You've had a monumental slice of luck (again!). The referee obviously didn't have the confidence to give it. As soon as the Bayern players saw it, it should have been given. He's bottled it. Unfortunately, because as we're saying he dealt with a tricky game very well.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7237 on: April 10, 2024, 04:25:50 pm »

what difference does that make? What a mad take.

They showed the players clearly upset at something, that the commentators didn’t know what doesn’t mean it wasn’t a penalty.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7238 on: April 10, 2024, 04:29:33 pm »
what difference does that make? What a mad take.

They showed the players clearly upset at something, that the commentators didn’t know what doesn’t mean it wasn’t a penalty.
The whole idea of it was to level the playing field.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7239 on: April 10, 2024, 04:34:03 pm »
earlier in the season Gravenberch, as many players have in the past, was penalised for hand-ball when he grabbed the ball that was clearly sailing out of play for a throw a split second before it crossed the line. And a freekick given against. So apparently I'm now to believe that wasn’t a free-kick for hand-ball due to it falling under ‘spirit of the game’ or some-such rule  :P