Author Topic: Saudi Arabia's raid of European clubs  (Read 36426 times)

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Saudi Arabia's raid of European clubs
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2023, 03:28:15 pm »
If SA want to buy up all the best talent and mercenaries I wouldn't really mind. Our own leagues in Europe might become less competitive but they would be cleaner and more honest. And any player fucking off to SA won't be playing CL footie anytime soon - not unless they can crowbar their way into the competition with a massive wedge of cash to UEFA.

The problem is they want to own everything. They're trying to buy the fucking continent as a means of political leverage. And the corrupt bastards at the top are happy to let them do it. They want the very souls of all the leagues in Europe, so that ultimately the only good players in the world are only playing for the Sportswashers.

This isn't like Pele and a few other big names playing in the US in the 70s. The dirty blood money of the oil states can prop up this lark almost indefinitely, unless governments intervene and enshrine protections in law. But like I said, they're in on it. Ultimately they'll have the money and it will be their successors' problem.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2023, 03:43:57 pm »
… welcome to Super Sunday , Al Nassr v Liverpool, from sunny Riyadh, aaaaaaand it’s live….

These despots are not going to be pumping the eye watering amounts they are into the English game without wanting serious control, maybe even a merger between their own football and the premier league.
Sounds ridiculous, but then again…

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2023, 03:51:39 pm »
… welcome to Super Sunday , Al Nassr v Liverpool, from sunny Riyadh, aaaaaaand it’s live….

These despots are not going to be pumping the eye watering amounts they are into the English game without wanting serious control, maybe even a merger between their own football and the premier league.
Sounds ridiculous, but then again…

We'll be playing in front of 4000000000 on the moon before that ever happened.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2023, 03:53:31 pm »
We'll be playing in front of 4000000000 on the moon before that ever happened.
When they control the game, they can do whatever they want

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2023, 03:54:33 pm »
When they control the game, they can do whatever they want

Sure.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2023, 03:59:40 pm »
Sure.
Could even be a Gulf-European Super league.
You don’t think they will control the game before long?

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2023, 04:00:18 pm »
I can see Saudi struggling to build a compelling product from their league. The majority of their signings are players at the tail end of their careers who are picking up injuries and are way past their physical peak. And their only motivation for signing up is to top up their pension before they call it a day. Don't they already have a "masters" 5 a side tournament!

If I were them I'd be speaking to the other wealthy Gulf countries like Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, and the UAE regions, with the view to starting a "Gulf Super League" with a few teams from each area. Would be a far superior product than any dometic league and generate far more interest locally and abroad.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2023, 04:00:53 pm »

No I don't.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2023, 04:03:06 pm »

But according to the dick who runs UEFA it’s nothing to worry about any of this.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2023, 04:03:14 pm »
No I don't.
Fair enough.
I bet lots of golf fans didn’t think they would control golf.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2023, 04:11:27 pm »
I can see Saudi struggling to build a compelling product from their league. The majority of their signings are players at the tail end of their careers who are picking up injuries and are way past their physical peak. And their only motivation for signing up is to top up their pension before they call it a day. Don't they already have a "masters" 5 a side tournament!

If I were them I'd be speaking to the other wealthy Gulf countries like Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, and the UAE regions, with the view to starting a "Gulf Super League" with a few teams from each area. Would be a far superior product than any dometic league and generate far more interest locally and abroad.

Thing is, that would involve cultivating and developing their own footballing talent. If we've seen anything from the oil states looking to sports wash, it's that they don't have the patience to grow something organically. They want ready-made, off the shelf footballers - even if they are past their prime.

Under normal circumstances, such an approach would wither away, but like I said, with bottomless pits of money, they can top it up indefinitely.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2023, 04:14:06 pm »
Fair enough.
I bet lots of golf fans didn’t think they would control golf.
Golf is a much smaller sport and it's a lot easier to carry out a hostile takeover.  Buy off enough of the top names in golf and you've pretty much bought the sport.

Saudi Arabia could buy off Salah tomorrow but after a few weeks of being disgruntled we'd all have moved on.  We'd have new heroes by September.  It would be nigh on impossible for Saudi Arabia to purchase anything like a significant number of the top clubs in the world.

FIFA and UEFA (or their member associations) can both seemingly be bought off quite easily but it's generally a passing fad with whoever is the highest bidder at the time getting a few favours then business returning to normal.

The PIF has assets of half a trillion but that's assets and not liquid money.  They're not going to spend everything on hijacking global football.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2023, 04:15:20 pm »
Nobody will give a fuck about it. There's no fan culture or atmosphere, they don't develop their own players in the region and the clubs have no history, reach or global fanbase.

That's why they put their money into European football. The players will also be half arsed and just take the money. Ronaldo has played their this season and there's no interest in it at all.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 04:17:48 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2023, 04:19:13 pm »
You can just look at what they're doing in other sports to see how serious they are about this. Their desire for the 2030 World Cup must be the main driving factor behind the recent raid of European football. I see they've agreed to pay for all the stadiums in their joint bid with Egypt and Greece, knowing full well they'd need joint-hosting with a European country with Qatar being so recent.

Holding the World Cup would be the culmination of Saudi Arabia’s ambitious strategy to dominate major sporting events. Successes include winning the rights to host world championship boxing bouts, European football and Formula One motor races, while creating its own rebel golf tour. Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund also bought a prominent English football club and the country will host football’s Asian Cup for the first time in 2027.

But Saudi Arabia’s desire to stage the World Cup goes beyond reasons of sporting prestige, according to one regional expert.

“Saudi Arabia is strategically trying to position itself as an AfroEurasian hub — the center of a new world order,” Simon Chadwick, professor of sport and geopolitical economy at Skema Business School in Paris, said of the Saudi-fronted bid. “This positioning would enable Saudi Arabia to exert significant power and influence across a vast geographic area, which it is seeking to achieve by building relationships with key partners.”

“The multipolar staging of a World Cup with Egypt and Greece would be neither altruism nor largesse. Rather, it would form part of a wider plan, which the government in Riyadh is enabling through the potential gifting of stadiums,” he added.

https://www.politico.eu/article/qatar-fifa-world-cup-the-secret-saudi-plan-to-buy-the-cup/
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2023, 04:21:59 pm »
Golf is a much smaller sport and it's a lot easier to carry out a hostile takeover.  Buy off enough of the top names in golf and you've pretty much bought the sport.

Saudi Arabia could buy off Salah tomorrow but after a few weeks of being disgruntled we'd all have moved on.  We'd have new heroes by September.  It would be nigh on impossible for Saudi Arabia to purchase anything like a significant number of the top clubs in the world.

FIFA and UEFA (or their member associations) can both seemingly be bought off quite easily but it's generally a passing fad with whoever is the highest bidder at the time getting a few favours then business returning to normal.

The PIF has assets of half a trillion but that's assets and not liquid money.  They're not going to spend everything on hijacking global football.
I’m pretty sure FIFA, Uefa, The PL, The Uk government could all be persuaded that it’s a good thing for these gulf states to own multiple clubs in the same league. Maybe a couple more states come in and they all own 3 clubs each in the PL. They then completely control the league.
I know I’m talking extremes, but it’s really not beyond the realms of possibility and they could afford it without batting an eyelid.

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2023, 04:49:31 pm »
I’m pretty sure FIFA, Uefa, The PL, The Uk government could all be persuaded that it’s a good thing for these gulf states to own multiple clubs in the same league. Maybe a couple more states come in and they all own 3 clubs each in the PL. They then completely control the league.
I know I’m talking extremes, but it’s really not beyond the realms of possibility and they could afford it without batting an eyelid.

The UK Government was actively pushing for the Saudi lot to take over Newcastle due to the influx of investment they were pumping into the UK from doing so. If it’s FIFA, UEFA, The PL & The government we’re relying on to turn their nose up at money and have some integrity about them we’re all fucked.
Justice for the 97

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2023, 05:25:30 pm »
It’ll be an expanded club World Cup that they angle towards. They don’t want to just have the talent, they want to have the teams too.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2023, 05:46:57 pm »
It’ll be an expanded club World Cup that they angle towards. They don’t want to just have the talent, they want to have the teams too.

Teams that nobody cares about.

Abu Dhabi have had a hard enough sell trying to get people invested into Manchester City, let alone clubs nobody has ever heard of with no fan culture.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2023, 07:51:53 pm »
If SA want to buy up all the best talent and mercenaries I wouldn't really mind. Our own leagues in Europe might become less competitive but they would be cleaner and more honest. And any player fucking off to SA won't be playing CL footie anytime soon - not unless they can crowbar their way into the competition with a massive wedge of cash to UEFA.

They have there own version of the CL dont they ???
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2023, 07:54:47 pm »

Isnt it going to be hosted in pre season no one will be arsed about it no matter how hard they try to push it
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Online jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2023, 08:16:16 pm »
Maybe this is what football needs. Things have been heading down the shitter for a good decade now, perhaps a cataclysmic event is what real football needs.

I'm a Liverpool fan, if all the best players in the world fuck off to play for blood money and we are left with players from the next tier down, so what? So will everyone else. To me football isn't the razzmatazz global sporting event. It's not F1, it's not golf. It's a sport born from the grass roots and it can always go back to that.

Fuck Saudi Arabia and the false dream it's buying and selling.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2023, 08:16:42 pm »

Abu Dhabi have had a hard enough sell trying to get people invested into Manchester City, let alone clubs nobody has ever heard of with no fan culture.

You speak for yourself some of us have looked out for Al-Halal results for years !!

Nothing is going to stop them they will end up owning multiple teams in same league.

I mean they own Newcastle and probably Chelsea too

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2023, 08:47:12 pm »
You speak for yourself some of us have looked out for Al-Halal results for years !!

;D ;D
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2023, 09:18:05 pm »
Fucking grim this.

Kick the oil states out of football.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2023, 09:19:46 pm »
Hate them.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2023, 09:20:40 pm »
Eventually, there will be the European Super League, and the Arabian UEFA Champions League.

This is inevitable ...

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2023, 09:44:34 pm »
Eventually, there will be the European Super League, and the Arabian UEFA Champions League.

This is inevitable ...

Then football will be broken and 90% of people on this forum and others like it won’t watch it. They’ll have to invest heavily in the next generation of fans and those who watch by stream only.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2023, 10:24:10 pm »
the Arabian UEFA Champions League.

They already have there own competition don't they
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2023, 10:27:03 pm »
Then football will be broken and 90% of people on this forum and others like it won’t watch it. They’ll have to invest heavily in the next generation of fans and those who watch by stream only.

Football is already broken, yet we still watch it ...

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2023, 10:29:26 pm »
They already have there own competition don't they

The UEFA Champions League is more prestigious.

Man City, PSG, Chelsea, Newcastle, Man Utd (soon). They already have the core ...

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2023, 10:29:41 pm »

Until they do something really stupid and play the games in the middle of the night our time can see that happening before too long
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2023, 10:41:36 pm »
City and Newcastle have shown how easy it is to buy a fanbase, they want it all now. PL football needs to collapse in on itself and start bleeding TV money, unfortunately most football fans probably don't know or care about any of it and will continue on as normal.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2023, 10:46:07 pm »

I watch us & just the odd other game and Sky get fuck all off me.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2023, 11:00:40 pm »

I don’t mean buy the teams, but host the teams. So the biggest teams in the world are competing with financially doped Saudi teams in a club World Cup.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2023, 11:30:19 pm »
Stevie has said no to them.  Phew.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2023, 12:15:33 am »
To be fair Stevie likes a night on the ale, he'll not get the opportunity to do that in Saudi Arabia.

Offline lfcthekop

• knows how to inbed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2023, 12:19:55 am »
Did'nt he go over there and have a pic taken holding the club shirt? i thought it was a done deal.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2023, 01:06:14 am »
Football is dead    Rather watch cricket

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2023, 01:18:57 am »
Football is dead    Rather watch cricket
I generally don't nowadays, unless I can be bothered going up to the pub to watch it, I'm not paying for Sly for fuck sake.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2023, 01:32:05 am »
I generally don't nowadays, unless I can be bothered going up to the pub to watch it, I'm not paying for Sly for fuck sake.
Stream ?

I’ll be wait for the funny comment 😂