Author Topic: Saudi Arabia's raid of European clubs  (Read 36414 times)

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Saudi Arabia's raid of European clubs
« Reply #320 on: July 3, 2023, 07:14:32 pm »
Gerrard has obviously has gone for the money… yano cos he’s on the bones of his arse.  :-\ So disappointed.

Bobby, Fowler, Gerrard massively disappointed in them all.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #321 on: July 3, 2023, 07:18:38 pm »
Its weird because Gerrard needs to rebuild his managerial career after it didnt go too well at villa, but if he wins the league in saudi every season it wont matter a jot as no one in the top leagues would care, similarly if he finishes bottom every season,  he’s actually dropping off the planet as far as managers go. Complete waste of time.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: July 3, 2023, 07:25:50 pm »
Three absolute legends of the club have disappointed the whole fan base.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: July 3, 2023, 07:26:13 pm »

Yeah me too.

30 pieces of silver comes to mind,still hope them all well in life and all that but always disappointing finding out people you like are a bit different than you thought.

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: July 3, 2023, 07:28:29 pm »
Honestly, what a bunch of shallow bastards. Bobby, Gerrard and anyone else who goes out there are just lost causes. There's no justification for it whatsoever.

Online RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: July 3, 2023, 07:30:34 pm »
Honestly, what a bunch of shallow bastards. Bobby, Gerrard and anyone else who goes out there are just lost causes. There's no justification for it whatsoever.

Naturally I wanted to defend them to people mentioning it but can’t really.

Bobby still has so much to offer at any top European team but he goes there.

Gerrard has money to burn, shows a lack of career ambition going over there.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: July 3, 2023, 07:34:51 pm »
Shows a bit more than a lack of career ambition.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: July 3, 2023, 07:59:40 pm »
Shows a bit more than a lack of career ambition.
It's to judge them but most would take the cash if they were in their shoes. Even if they do a year there, they can still return to Europe.

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: July 3, 2023, 08:11:03 pm »
It's to judge them but most would take the cash if they were in their shoes. Even if they do a year there, they can still return to Europe.

They're all filthy rich, the last thing any of them need is more money. This is just absolute gluttony.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #329 on: July 3, 2023, 08:14:19 pm »
They're all filthy rich, the last thing any of them need is more money. This is just absolute gluttony.

exactly, pure greed at this point. Gerrard is surely set for life, and even if he ‘just’ took a championship level club job to get back on track of ‘just’ went into punditry, he’s still be pulling in a huge amount of pay. And no doubt he’d have various endorsements and sponsorship deals too. To go to Saudi Arabia is as you say pure gluttony.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: July 3, 2023, 08:16:33 pm »
Human beings are never satisfied. If Saudi were to offer most people 5-10 times their salary, they'd take it no matter how wealthy they are.

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: July 3, 2023, 08:18:52 pm »
Human beings are never satisfied. If Saudi were to offer most people 5-10 times their salary, they'd take it no matter how wealthy they are.

I wouldn't and I probably earn 1/100th of what Gerrard earns a year. Just disappointing that not one of our lot seem to have any morals.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: July 3, 2023, 08:22:07 pm »

I don't get this line of thinking. They are never going to offer most people 5-10 times their salary because only a select few of the world's population can be utilised in a sportswashing enterprise. They'll just use slave labour for the rest.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #333 on: July 3, 2023, 08:22:50 pm »
It's always a problem if it is Saudi, Qatar, China but 'Merica is all good and decent

01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #334 on: July 3, 2023, 08:26:49 pm »
It's always a problem if it is Saudi, Qatar, China but 'Merica is all good and decent

The USA government/state doesn't own any football clubs though.

It's not the same.

Yes, some American politics/policies are awful - but the State doesn't own their sports.

Surely you can see the difference?
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: July 3, 2023, 08:48:57 pm »
If Donald Trump owned a club while he was president then I’m pretty sure people would’ve been against that too.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: July 3, 2023, 09:03:53 pm »

Speak for yourself.  Fortunately, not all of us are like that  ;)

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
« Reply #337 on: July 3, 2023, 09:06:22 pm »
The USA government/state doesn't own any football clubs though.

It's not the same.

Yes, some American politics/policies are awful - but the State doesn't own their sports.

Surely you can see the difference?

Also, they’re not openly committing genocide or human rights abuses on mass.
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: July 3, 2023, 09:06:35 pm »
Speak for yourself.  Fortunately, not all of us are like that  ;)
I never said everyone is like that. Most people would take it.

That's why I find the "He doesn't look like someone that'd take Saudi millions" a bit strange.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2023, 09:14:02 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: July 3, 2023, 09:09:40 pm »
Its weird because Gerrard needs to rebuild his managerial career after it didnt go too well at villa, but if he wins the league in saudi every season it wont matter a jot as no one in the top leagues would care, similarly if he finishes bottom every season,  he’s actually dropping off the planet as far as managers go. Complete waste of time.

Not sure there's anything to rebuild, he's a pretty shit manager. When he knocked back the managerial vacancy at MK Dons saying he needed experience first, only to then jump at the Rangers job, I had a feeling he was going to end up another member of the British managerial roundabout.

Offline Elliemental

• Kopite
  • You Love Us
« Reply #340 on: July 3, 2023, 09:12:47 pm »

Okay, but America isn't buying up other country's football leagues? that's something of a false equivalence.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #341 on: July 3, 2023, 09:18:42 pm »

Nope, as others have already stated... have a look around the various threads on the subject and you'll find a fair number that have previously refused, or would refuse. 

Though there is a reason why countries like Saudi feel they have to offer 5-10 times a salary to attract some people.

Yet, of course what you claim is something of a false equivalency... as regular average everyday workers are in a vastly different position to footballers at Gerrard, Fowler and Bobby's level who are already set up for life... and yet many regular average everyday workers still say 'no'.

I mean, there are probably more people that would say no to Saudi... than there are apologists / people performing mental gymnastics to try and justify taking the human rights abusing sportswashers and executioners' money on here, yes?
« Last Edit: July 3, 2023, 09:25:09 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: July 3, 2023, 09:19:35 pm »
The days of having the likes of King Kenny are long gone.  I enjoy the players whilst they're on the pitch and nothing more.  At the best of times they're far from being idol worthy, then from time to time they disappoint beyond belief.

Bobby, Fowler and Gerrard are all coining in more money than they'd make anywhere else.  Unless they're thick as shit - which is possible - they'll know what it's all about but they clearly don't care.  Fuck 'em.

Have the wanksock social media influences started appearing in Saudi yet to tell us all how wonderful it is?

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: July 3, 2023, 09:20:56 pm »
I never said everyone is like that. Most people would take it.

That's why I find the "He doesn't look like someone that'd take Saudi millions" a bit strange.

If "most" would take it then every top level player would be there by now because you can be sure as hell that they've all been approached. They're only being successful with those who have basically given up on their careers, with the odd exception.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: July 3, 2023, 09:22:45 pm »

Okay, but America isn't buying up other country's football leagues? that's something of a false equivalence.

it’s one of the very favourite come-back of fans who support clubs being owned by human rights abusers. Man City and Newcastle fans have it and about 50 other come-backs memorised for social media use.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: July 3, 2023, 09:23:39 pm »
If "most" would take it then every top level player would be there by now because you can be sure as hell that they've all been approached. They're only being successful with those who have basically given up on their careers, with the odd exception.
You know what I mean LOL. Players stay for sporting reasons but after that a Bobby or a Stevie would go to Saudi if the offer is big enough.

A Neves taking Saudi money at 26 is greed but retired pros will go for it if it's lucrative enough.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2023, 09:27:02 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #346 on: July 3, 2023, 09:24:49 pm »

Bit hesitant to generalise all of them. Everyone has their own personal circumstances and choices to work through, but harsh to tar all of them with the same brush.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #347 on: July 3, 2023, 09:40:08 pm »
it’s one of the very favourite come-back of fans who support clubs being owned by human rights abusers. Man City and Newcastle fans have it and about 50 other come-backs memorised for social media use.

Cry more.

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #348 on: July 3, 2023, 09:46:06 pm »
Disappointed 😔

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: July 3, 2023, 09:49:47 pm »
24 year old Jota has left Celtic for Saudi.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #351 on: July 3, 2023, 09:50:37 pm »
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: July 3, 2023, 10:41:05 pm »
I remember the Chinese Super League and Sky showed it for a season or two iirc. They won't do that with this will they (or any other broadcaster)?

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: July 3, 2023, 10:42:32 pm »
I remember the Chinese Super League and Sky showed it for a season or two iirc. They won't do that with this will they (or any other broadcaster)?

Didn't show LIV golf despite having some huge names, can't see them showing the football.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: July 3, 2023, 10:42:34 pm »
What happened to good old - You mad bro?

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #355 on: July 3, 2023, 10:42:51 pm »

£25m for a player scoring goals against League 1 calibre sides. Bonkers

Maybe they thought they were getting the actual Jota?

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #356 on: July 3, 2023, 10:48:44 pm »

Sky already did for some Saudi games last season mate - albeit on their youtube channel. I think it was likely due to Ronaldo's move there? Yet wouldn't be surprised if they did show it on TV this season. If you type in 'sky saudi pro league' into the youtube search bar... you'll se a number of matches available to watch all for free.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2023, 10:50:16 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: July 3, 2023, 10:55:02 pm »
As someone who remembers the NASL back in the 70's, when they managed to attract such players as Pele, Cruyff and Beckenbauer, I am not really bothered by this Saudi league circus, unless they are signing players under the age of 30. As for the managers, they have always earned great money in the Arab countries. It was almost a tradition for the managers from former Yugoslavia to work there and get their big paycheck ...

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #358 on: July 3, 2023, 10:58:43 pm »

He is another portuguese player under that agency (Mendes owned isn't it?). Looks like they have some kind of deal with Saudi Arabia, or they have realised what a jackpot it is and are tempting the players into it.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #359 on: July 3, 2023, 11:06:15 pm »
Mad how we've got to this stage people just shrug there shoulders wonder how they will feel when our cup finals are being played there
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97