Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted)  (Read 3267013 times)

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted) - No Mbappé
« Reply #81520 on: May 23, 2024, 10:09:21 pm »
The midfield needs sorting. When I grew up the old saying was control the midfield you control the game. I would like to see us with a physically strong midfield obviously with good technical players.

If we ignore the fact that we have bought 4 midfielders last summer, that Jones and Elliott have developed into very good players, and that Bajcetic is very talented and finally fit again, you might have a point there ...

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #81521 on: May 23, 2024, 10:15:29 pm »
Looks like Nat Phillips is off this summer.  :D
Probably on loan, I doubt we will be able to sell him.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #81522 on: May 23, 2024, 10:32:31 pm »
If we ignore the fact that we have bought 4 midfielders last summer, that Jones and Elliott have developed into very good players, and that Bajcetic is very talented and finally fit again, you might have a point there ...

I mostly agree, I think there’s still so much potential with what we already have to grow and improve, the 8 position is sorted just as it was in 2018. We just need a Fabinho to add world class steel to the midfield. Endo in the Milner role is fine. There’s nothing wrong with taking our time with Bajcetic, our experience with Curtis should warn us that depending on players who haven’t proven their fitness yet is a really naive way of going about it. If we want to compete we need an elite 6 now, Baj is a few years away at best, for me.

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81523 on: May 23, 2024, 10:35:09 pm »
Two genuine questions:

Were any of Henderson, Fabinho and Wijnaldum fast? We talk a lot about needing more pace in the midfield, but although none of them were horrifically slow (unless that last season...), I don't remember any of them being particularly fast at all. Rodri isn't fast but he's the most important player in the Man City midfield.

What do people think about Calvin Bassey? Could he potentially make the step up? Seemed to be decent when I saw him, left footed, and a good age. Hasn't been talked about as obviously a class above Fulham, so maybe he's at his level, but Van Dijk seemed to really take his game up a couple of notches when he came to us. Wondering if there are any CBs in the league who might be poised to do the same.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81524 on: May 23, 2024, 10:47:08 pm »
Two genuine questions:

Were any of Henderson, Fabinho and Wijnaldum fast? We talk a lot about needing more pace in the midfield, but although none of them were horrifically slow (unless that last season...), I don't remember any of them being particularly fast at all. Rodri isn't fast but he's the most important player in the Man City midfield.

What do people think about Calvin Bassey? Could he potentially make the step up? Seemed to be decent when I saw him, left footed, and a good age. Hasn't been talked about as obviously a class above Fulham, so maybe he's at his level, but Van Dijk seemed to really take his game up a couple of notches when he came to us. Wondering if there are any CBs in the league who might be poised to do the same.

Henderson and Gini were both fairly quick, they also played in a much more reserved manner and filled gaps defensively. Rodri isn't too quick but Walker definitely is and he gets them out of trouble very, very often.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81525 on: May 24, 2024, 12:55:43 am »
A 6 won't fix everything. But a 6 will make it so much better. When Endo plays we're better even if he's a bit off it.

That's the crucial thing really, we'll immediately be a lot better with an upgrade at #6, beyond any tactical changes our new manager makes beyond that.

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #81526 on: May 24, 2024, 01:13:48 am »
That's the crucial thing really, we'll immediately be a lot better with an upgrade at #6, beyond any tactical changes our new manager makes beyond that.

Actually the biggest change will be the tactical shift to a two in-front of a solid back 3 if you will. Very structured and hard to play through the middle against. 2nd lowest xG against in Europe after Arsenal. Sure a new DM elevates that even more but that tactical shift alone will be a stark contrast to how we play.

Out of possession in transition, for solely defensive tasked players we have a lone Endo or a lone Mac covering the entire midfield space alone with only two CBs behind him. This will shift us from only back 3 defensive minded (2 CBs and 1 DM) to a back 5 (two together with 3 behind...LB, CB, CB). Less space for each player to cover and that's where pace will matter a little less and intelligent closing of space in the middle will prevail.

Still want an athletic DM mind you ( :P ) but even if we do not sign one we will still improve defensively.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 01:17:39 am by PaleBlueDot »

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81527 on: May 24, 2024, 01:38:14 am »
Two genuine questions:

Henderson and Gini were.

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #81528 on: May 24, 2024, 06:14:00 am »
Henderson and Gini were.

And had a extremely high level of intensity in our pomp

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #81529 on: May 24, 2024, 06:52:55 am »
Henderson was really quick when he first came. I think he lost a touch of his pace as he got stronger and suffered a few injuries as is normal, but his running power was really underrated, something Rice appears to get tons of credit for but Henderson never really did. Gini wasn’t as fast but he was quick for the position. They were both quite mobile as well. Neither player is as quick as Szoboszlai who’s one of the fastest midfielders I’ve ever seen, however the side they played in (and were a massive contributing factor) was a lot more compact, well drilled and nostalgia means we only remember the good times, we don’t remember how long it took to get there and that the signing of Fabinho really enabled them to thrive as 8s. Fabinho himself wasn’t prolifically quick but he wasn’t slow either, he was quite mobile for a taller player but seemed to lose it all so quickly at the end of 21/22. He came off I think against Villa away after weeks of looking off it and never recovered, I’ve seen the odd forward lose their legs like that but never a midfielder.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #81530 on: May 24, 2024, 06:57:28 am »
Two genuine questions:

Were any of Henderson, Fabinho and Wijnaldum fast?

Yes. Gini and Henderson were or at least they had recovery pace when we got turned around.

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81531 on: May 24, 2024, 07:02:03 am »
Yes. Gini and Henderson were or at least they had recovery pace when we got turned around.

Hendo had a gate though  :-X

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81532 on: May 24, 2024, 07:11:39 am »
Hendo had a gate though  :-X

Wooden or iron?

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81533 on: May 24, 2024, 07:12:41 am »
Wooden or iron?

Ask the whiskey nosed prick  ;D

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81534 on: May 24, 2024, 08:30:01 am »
Summerville on our radar apparently. Thoughts? He is from Rotterdam...
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81535 on: May 24, 2024, 08:33:54 am »

Small town boy.

Runaway...
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81537 on: May 24, 2024, 08:58:25 am »
I think he counts as a homegrown player too.
His Stats looks like something would be interested over 3 shots per 90. Big on ball carrying. Probably not as dominate as would want in non big 5 league but if it a lower risk price could see it.
.62 XG+Xa in the championship not super impressive but the sca and shots probably just thinking he can keep improving that as he pre peak age.
Gakpo was .92 XGA+XA coming from the Eredivisie which is better league then the championship.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81538 on: May 24, 2024, 09:02:48 am »
Need Orny to give us a name, starting to get bad transfer withdrawal symptoms here.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81539 on: May 24, 2024, 09:13:55 am »

And yet here we are, still needing a no.6. Makes Gravenberch signing even more bizarre because we probably didn't need yet another no.8. It's not balanced at all.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81540 on: May 24, 2024, 09:16:22 am »
Two genuine questions:

Were any of Henderson, Fabinho and Wijnaldum fast?

Henderson certainly was. Underratedly so.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81541 on: May 24, 2024, 09:16:54 am »
Can we sign some footballers please.

Olise and Musiala, thanks.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81542 on: May 24, 2024, 09:20:33 am »

More chance of Mbappe.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #81543 on: May 24, 2024, 09:23:45 am »
Fabinho himself wasn’t prolifically quick but he wasn’t slow either, he was quite mobile for a taller player

I'm always surprised by the supposed correlation between height and mobility. The average height for an olympic sprinter is 185cm. Bolt is 195cm. Darwin is 187cm.

Fabinho is a very smart player and had top level positional awareness. He also had a bit of snide and was quite willing to take a yellow for the team. His partnership with Thiago was really wonderful.

I'm really interested to see how Slot's midfield will shape up. We have some really great young midfielders, but we're probably a year or two away from the majority hitting their peak.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #81544 on: May 24, 2024, 09:41:28 am »

Are you getting twitchy that we haven’t signed anyone before the end of May? Or is this just a general wish list for the summer?

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81545 on: May 24, 2024, 09:45:41 am »
lots of mentions of mobility which is critical
but in midfield strength is critical. Rodri's strength massively underarrated je overpowers players when in contact.
Gini & Fabinho were both very strong as well.
We dont really have any very strong physical midfield players its why we lose so many duels in midfield.
Its why i think a South American midfielder would be ideal Ederson,Ugarte or Andre
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 09:47:16 am by MD1990 »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81546 on: May 24, 2024, 09:57:09 am »
Are you getting twitchy that we haven’t signed anyone before the end of May? Or is this just a general wish list for the summer?

Not twitchy yet and its not really a wish list because there is no universe that we get Musiala. But even last summer we had a messy transfer summer and we know what the club can be like with these things.

Dont really want to be in early July and we havent done a decent amount of business.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #81547 on: May 24, 2024, 09:59:29 am »
lots of mentions of mobility which is critical
but in midfield strength is critical. Rodri's strength massively underarrated je overpowers players when in contact.
Gini & Fabinho were both very strong as well.
We dont really have any very strong physical midfield players its why we lose so many duels in midfield.
Its why i think a South American midfielder would be ideal Ederson,Ugarte or Andre

Part of if is physicality and part of it is structure. If the gaps are too big then Makelele in his prime isn’t going to cover it. Also, if the gaps are too big you'll be behind the play so you're more likely to make last ditch tackles to prevent turnovers rather than simply stepping in to make an interception. Prevention is better than cure. I also think when you are chasing a game rather than controlling a game that is going affect you more mentally and physically leading to more injuries.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81548 on: May 24, 2024, 10:12:32 am »
I'm always surprised by the supposed correlation between height and mobility. The average height for an olympic sprinter is 185cm. Bolt is 195cm. Darwin is 187cm.

Fabinho is a very smart player and had top level positional awareness. He also had a bit of snide and was quite willing to take a yellow for the team. His partnership with Thiago was really wonderful.

I'm really interested to see how Slot's midfield will shape up. We have some really great young midfielders, but we're probably a year or two away from the majority hitting their peak.

5-10-6’1 tends to be the sweet spot for top level sprinters, when you start getting past that I think its gets harder to produced the acceleration that you need to be a top level sprinter.

It’s why Bolt was such an anomaly, there’s not many sprinters 6’3+ that make it into being Olympic level sprinters let alone the greatest of all time. He’s length though is also why he was so alien like in that realm once he got going his long strides made it impossible for anyone to beat him, but he also had a lesser acceleration and start than many other sprinters in his field, which is mostly due to his height.

The same applies in football and in a sport where acceleration and how quick of the mark is even more important as you’re rarely sprinting for long distances, shorter players have the advantage.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 10:14:04 am by Coolie High »

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81549 on: May 24, 2024, 10:15:32 am »
Not twitchy yet and its not really a wish list because there is no universe that we get Musiala. But even last summer we had a messy transfer summer and we know what the club can be like with these things.

Dont really want to be in early July and we havent done a decent amount of business.

Musiala is fond of Liverpool but if he ever comes back to England which I think he does eventually will most likely go back to London.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #81550 on: May 24, 2024, 10:20:29 am »

Fair. Getting one or two top priorities done before the Euros/Copa would be ideal. Inevitable some just won’t get done until after all that, but a good early signing like Fabinho always gets people excited. I’d have said Mac Allister too, but that didn’t stop the collective loss of heads last summer!

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #81551 on: May 24, 2024, 10:24:45 am »

To quote, erm Killer Heels on many many occasions; little chance of either of these I reckon. Olise is great but I think we'll look elsewhere for more value.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81552 on: May 24, 2024, 10:26:21 am »
To quote, erm Killer Heels on many many occasions; little chance of either of these I reckon. Olise is great but I think we'll look elsewhere for more value.

Olise's release clause (assuming the number floated on here is accurate) is very reasonable. The only 'value' unknown with him is robustness. If he's injured for half the season you're obviously getting a lot less for your money.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81553 on: May 24, 2024, 10:30:34 am »

Taller people are generally faster in terms of reaching a top speed and because of a longer stride length. However, shorter people are more likely to have more explosive pace/acceleration which tends to be more important in football.

Bolt as the quickest person to ever live had a major weakness with his starts. Also if you look at the fastest 60-metre guys they tend to be the shorter sprinters.

The NFL is another example - running backs are shorter as they need to accelerate quickly, whereas the wide receivers who run greater distances are taller.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81554 on: May 24, 2024, 10:32:59 am »
Olise's release clause (assuming the number floated on here is accurate) is very reasonable. The only 'value' unknown with him is robustness. If he's injured for half the season you're obviously getting a lot less for your money.

I like him, he's obviously been brilliant this season and he's a good age. Yeah, I guess we don't know the true nature of his release clause, as we don't know the details on Mo Kudus' clause either.

The way we're going to use Mo Salah going forward is quite important here but obviously it would be great if we retain Mo for at least one more season, and add more pace and ability to the forward line as well.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81555 on: May 24, 2024, 10:34:39 am »
I like him, he's obviously been brilliant this season and he's a good age. Yeah, I guess we don't know the true nature of his release clause, as we don't know the details on Mo Kudus' clause either.

The way we're going to use Mo Salah going forward is quite important here but obviously it would be great if we retain Mo for at least one more season, and add more pace and ability to the forward line as well.

West Ham might be open to selling Kudos now they aren't getting anything for the betting cheat.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81556 on: May 24, 2024, 10:35:31 am »
Fair. Getting one or two top priorities done before the Euros/Copa would be ideal. Inevitable some just won’t get done until after all that, but a good early signing like Fabinho always gets people excited. I’d have said Mac Allister too, but that didn’t stop the collective loss of heads last summer!

Was a bizarre summer, we got some business done early then there was a huge gap and then a mad scramble for more midfielders and an opportunistic one on the last week. At the end signing 4 players was great but not sure it was very strategic.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81557 on: May 24, 2024, 10:38:51 am »
Was a bizarre summer, we got some business done early then there was a huge gap and then a mad scramble for more midfielders and an opportunistic one on the last week. At the end signing 4 players was great but not sure it was very strategic.

I tend to look back on it quite positively because it got us third. And we were so catastrophically bad for much of last season I wasn't sure we'd be capable of 80+ points this season. But in terms of getting us back to a 90+ team I reckon you've probably got to say that it should have been Szoboslai or Grav, Mac and a top level DM And to be fair we tried to make that happen - no way were Grav and Endo coming in if we'd got Caicedo.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #81558 on: May 24, 2024, 10:39:57 am »
Andre looks really slow. I dont get that hype at all

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81559 on: May 24, 2024, 10:41:27 am »
I tend to look back on it quite positively because it got us third. And we were so catastrophically bad for much of last season I wasn't sure we'd be capable of 80+ points this season. But in terms of getting us back to a 90+ team I reckon you've probably got to say that it should have been Szoboslai or Grav, Mac and a top level DM And to be fair we tried to make that happen - no way were Grav and Endo coming in if we'd got Caicedo.

If we had grabbed Caicedo, to play with Mac Allister, there is no telling how our last game at Wolves might have looked.

But if my Aunty had big hairy balls.....