Author Topic: Match Preview: Liverpool vs Manchester United, March 5, 4.30pm  (Read 19024 times)

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Liverpool vs Manchester United

Sunday March 5th, 4.30pm, Anfield

Referee: Andy Madley. Assistants: Adam Nunn, Harry Lennard. Fourth official: Chris Kavanagh. VAR: David Coote. Assistant VAR: Timothy Wood.

It isn’t the despair that kills you, they say, but the hope. This season has been a yo-yo with the odd game or two looking like a renaissance might be around the corner only for the same issues to kick back in whenever we play someone decent.

One team that’s become used to that feeling is Man United, who’ve deservedly been the butt of our jokes for most of the last nine seasons. They ran out 2-1 winners in an August game that was preceded by a march against the Glazers and began by Martinez chopping down Salah inside two minutes, after which point we never really got back into the game. I got a text from a Manc-supporting mate after the game and replied: “Let’s see what happens when you come to Anfield”.

Well, that game is upon us now and the teams feel a world away from the ones responsible for a 9-0 aggregate score last season. We've generally looked exhausted, listless, unfocused and disjointed while they’ve lost one in 11 in the league, to leaders Arsenal, as Casemiro has added authority to the midfield, Rashford is hitting what could be a career peak and Sancho has begun to look like he might not be a colossal waste of money after all. They look like they’ve finally got a good manager in and they just picked up their first silverware for a few years which will put the team on a mental high.

But this is far from cut and dried. The clubs’ league record over the last five games is pretty much equal and our defence, which has looked so shaky this season, has kept four consecutive clean sheets in the league despite the team as a whole not playing well. Even the capitulation against Real came after we dominated the first half an hour, and we've repeatedly had periods in games this season when we've suddenly flicked a switch and looked lethal again, if only for a few minutes.

So what will the teams look like? I think we’ll play much the same 11 as against Wolves, with Robbo coming in for Tsimikas and Hendo for Elliott (this may seem unlikely given Harvey's counterprssing stats but I think Fabinho's performance last night wiill give Klopp the incentive to start him with Hendo in a game this big). Bobby is fit again and is and could come into the front three, as could Gakpo.

As for the Mancs, they should start with De Gea in goal, Dalot and Shaw flanking Varane and Martinez at the back, Casemiro next to Fred in the midfield two, Fernandes at the pivot with Rashford, Weghorst and Anthony ahead. Weakened midfield or not, we have to come at them early, set the tone and have Nunez look to bully their back four at every opportunity.

We’re six points off the Champions League places with a goal in hand, and while winning it this year looks a long, long way off right now, a win here would be a huge step in the right direction, especially with Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City coming up in the next five weeks. With Qatar lining up a multibillion-pound bid for them while our own organisation is a bit up in the air, we don’t know what the future will hold for each club, but it’s Man United at home. That should be incentive enough.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Match Preview: Liverpool vs Manchester United, March 5, 4.30pm
« Reply #1 on: March 2, 2023, 11:51:31 pm »
Thanks SM - how times have changed since last season, I hope we can get after them - throw the kitchen sink at them, hope Jota is fit enough to launch into them. It's going to come down to keepers and goal-scorers, De Gea and Rashford v Alisson and Mo

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #2 on: March 2, 2023, 11:58:43 pm »
Just get 3 points.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 3, 2023, 01:11:39 am »
Can't remember the last time I said this since Klopp got here, but a draw wouldn't be the worst result. We can't really afford it after the Palace result, but they're the better side this season and in good form (without setting the world alight).

I reckon it probably will end a draw as well.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 3, 2023, 01:30:10 am »
Batter them

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 3, 2023, 02:21:57 am »
I would change Elliot for Henderson, the rest of the team stays the same. For the question on Robbo for Kostas, I don't mind either. We got this and we have been showing it. We are showing glimpses of our old self each game including the first 25 against Madrid in that loss, this could be it. I am also so glad this is at Anfield!
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 3, 2023, 05:07:39 am »
Oof! Bundle of nerves for this one. A win would be delicious.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #7 on: March 3, 2023, 07:43:40 am »
thanks for the OP sheer

as said, 4 clean sheets has been great, but their form has been off the scale - and they say when a team plays one game poorly and still gets a win then it's usually a sign that that team is getting the breaks because of their form and not through luck or chance

2-2? 3-2 us?

just can't see there being no goals and it's a game that's going to be/should be played at 100mph

come on lads  :scarf
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #8 on: March 3, 2023, 07:51:24 am »
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks for a great op sheer! Obviously they are on a good run but they often seem to get by and are not a great team. They have had a run of soft goals going their way. We need to ensure we do not add to this! Defence looked generally better on Wednesday but we are still close to being suicidal when playing out.
I would take 0-0 at half time and see us take more chances in the second half as they tire. Will be there and am hoping to see a narrow win. Hope Darwin can win his battle on Martinez through height. They are good defenders but short. Another dead ball goal for us seems likely.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 3, 2023, 08:05:10 am »
Pretty sure every man and his dog in the utd fanbase and the media expect them to win, so i’m going to love it when we twat them 4:0

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 3, 2023, 08:08:38 am »
We'll win this
Jurgen YNWA

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #11 on: March 3, 2023, 08:09:57 am »
Kavanagh and Coote - fucking hell. At least they're not actually the ref but the pair of them should be banned from our games. Couple of Mancs as well, no way they'd put up with it.

Need Anfield to be a bear pit for this like City/Everton games.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 3, 2023, 08:11:47 am »
I would change Elliot for Henderson, the rest of the team stays the same. For the question on Robbo for Kostas, I don't mind either. We got this and we have been showing it. We are showing glimpses of our old self each game including the first 25 against Madrid in that loss, this could be it. I am also so glad this is at Anfield!

Pretty much my take on it aswell. I do think Robbo is coming back in tho.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 3, 2023, 08:15:47 am »
Feeling warmly confident here, these fuckers are due a karmic twatting. 3-1 with Nunez getting a couple. Lovely stuff.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #14 on: March 3, 2023, 08:31:40 am »
Bring on yer Manchester United,
Bring on yer Cockneys by the score,
and we'll take you two by two and we'll kick fuck out of you,
'Cos Liverpools the team that we adore!

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 3, 2023, 09:02:43 am »
Into these dirty fucking c*nts  redmen. The vilest of the vile, rats!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16 on: March 3, 2023, 09:03:10 am »
Can’t believe how almost identical our goals for and against are and yet all reports (and general eye tests) would suggest there a far more cohesive team than us this season.

Don’t think we’re as bad as we sometimes think and I don’t think they’re as good as has been made out. What they are is clinical in the big moments and quite resilient/lucky when under pressure. I’m sure we’ll get decent chances. We just have to take them and not leave ourselves open to their counters.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #17 on: March 3, 2023, 09:17:00 am »
They'll have a go at the start and then slowly drop back and play on the counter with Rashford.  Expecting Robertson and Henderson to come back in, but dunno if we'll go with Jota or Gakpo through the middle.  Jota usually plays well against Utd but he might need a bit of a rest after playing as long as he did against Wolves.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 3, 2023, 09:20:29 am »
Jota i think may be our best option as a sub.
Have a feeling he will score coming off the bench

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #19 on: March 3, 2023, 09:22:40 am »
I keep thinking that Utd are getting points at a rate that their play doesn't deserve, as they dont look that great when you watch them. However, I am beginning to worry that it might just be my in built bias  ;D

Watching them against the Saudi's they are really much better defensively than they have been for some time, as a team, not just individually. They jostle and press teams, particularly if you get the ball close to their box, surroundly players with the ball and Rashford is on a streak at the moment. Lets hope its over for a while now.

We have the style of players to hurt them (Nunez when he comes inside against the short arsed CB that everyone raves about for example), but we play such and exposed defence at times I worry that it plays into their fast break counter style.
Can't say I am looking forward to this one.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 3, 2023, 09:32:47 am »
We will win.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 3, 2023, 09:55:20 am »
Get the first goal. When we actually bother our arses to do that, we usually win. So get the first goal.

Incredibly bad vibes from Coote as VAR, but up the reds nonetheless.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #22 on: March 3, 2023, 10:01:35 am »
I keep thinking that Utd are getting points at a rate that their play doesn't deserve, as they dont look that great when you watch them. However, I am beginning to worry that it might just be my in built bias  ;D

Watching them against the Saudi's they are really much better defensively than they have been for some time, as a team, not just individually. They jostle and press teams, particularly if you get the ball close to their box, surroundly players with the ball and Rashford is on a streak at the moment. Lets hope its over for a while now.

We have the style of players to hurt them (Nunez when he comes inside against the short arsed CB that everyone raves about for example), but we play such and exposed defence at times I worry that it plays into their fast break counter style.
Can't say I am looking forward to this one.

Under Ole the gameplan was basically the same but they were badly coached, although they finished 2nd one year. Ten Hag is a good coach so they're well drilled which they haven't been since at least the inevitable Mourinho downfall.

They play with 12 men every week so they only need to be decent to get results.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 3, 2023, 10:04:49 am »
Let's up our levels against this crowd so the ref or VAR cannot be part of the conversation. We are a long way off the form that allowed us to thrash them last year and on the other hand they actually have some confidence these days as even go a goal behind won't dent them too much. It's the beginning of a tough run of games for us as the the next four weeks could make or break any hopes for saving the year. Got to manage the game better as they are good enough to take full advantage of our errors n the spaces we let teams drive buses through. If we go 2-0 up can we close the deal for once? If we go behind will heads and the crowd just drop? It's all about confidence really as we know we are a better team than we have shown this season but even the stadium seems to be in shock on occasions. I would take a draw right now and that statement just proves my point as confidence is brittle. We could knock them out in the first 20 minutes but then do a Mcgregor and fall flat on our faces.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2023, 10:06:28 am by fowlermagic »
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #24 on: March 3, 2023, 10:19:13 am »
Something tells me we will win

Not logic, or form or anything stupid like that. Just my gut..
We will raise our game and not put a foot wrong against these that are having a dynasty building season apparently

All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #25 on: March 3, 2023, 10:24:36 am »
Jürgen's pre-match presser...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_h3P_0PFUyA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_h3P_0PFUyA</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h3P_0PFUyA

:)
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #26 on: March 3, 2023, 10:26:56 am »
Already feel nerves just thinking about this. Hate them and hate playing them. Being from a family of Manc supporters always makes this game the worse. I presume they will play on the counter. Will we be able to deal with that?

Could be a game changer for us if we win.

Please please please win.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #27 on: March 3, 2023, 10:41:04 am »
Shafted by PGMOL again before a ball is kicked again.

Going to be a miracle if we even get a point.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #28 on: March 3, 2023, 10:43:33 am »
Already feel nerves just thinking about this. Hate them and hate playing them.

Could be a game changer for us if we win.

Please please please win.

This ^.
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #29 on: March 3, 2023, 10:45:18 am »
Utd will sit back and soak up the pressure and counter us. Its on us to make our chances count.
This will be the best drilled Utd  team since 2016 coming to Anfield and we've  still no idea  which Liverpool team will turn up, the one that played City or the one that played Real.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #30 on: March 3, 2023, 10:46:33 am »
Utd will sit back and soak up the pressure and counter us. Its on us to make our chances count.
This will be the best drilled Utd  team since 2016 coming to Anfield and we've  still no idea  which Liverpool team will turn up, the one that played City or the one that played Real.

If the one that played Real turns up we'll fucking smoke them in about twenty minutes
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 3, 2023, 10:49:14 am »
Coote on VAR and Madly refereeing.  :butt  Like a 12th man for United.

Seeing one of our's break that shithead cheating runt Fernandes in two would be nice.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2023, 10:51:03 am by Mister Flip Flop »
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Online William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: March 3, 2023, 10:50:14 am »
Allison
Trent
Robertson
Konate
VVD
Fabinho
Henderson
Bajetic
Nunez
Jota
Salah

Think that's the team, think our crowd will be massive in this game, 1-0 Liverpool.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #33 on: March 3, 2023, 10:53:39 am »
We're on the up.

Better squad all 'round.

Better manager.

Home advantage - The Kop, 12th man etc.

Was that convincing?  ???

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 3, 2023, 11:07:45 am »
Cracking presser by Jurgen  ;D

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 3, 2023, 11:31:55 am »
We know what's coming here. Snide little fouls by Casemiro and 90 mins of whinging cry arsing by Bruno Ferndndes on the pitch and vile chanting by their 11 in finger fans in the stands for 90 mins off it. They're doing a lot of mouthing that they'll come here and win but we're still a better team than them we've just forgotten how to be. And we have a far better manager no matter what tits like Robbie Savage say. I don't just to win here I wnat to see us domniate them and roar back into life. Nunez first name on the sheet for me. The crowd feed off him and the likes of Hendo, Milner and Trent will have him wound right up to get into these.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 3, 2023, 11:36:37 am »
Guarantee you one or two of our lads will get an early yellow just to make us rethink our game plan a little.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #37 on: March 3, 2023, 11:38:07 am »
These have ridden their luck big time in the first half period of their last two games. If we can have a good start and take our chances, we can win this.

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 3, 2023, 11:41:11 am »
Thanks Sheer Magnetism.  I didn't need reminding of that August game though  ;D

I'm nervous about this one as Man U have been a good counter-attacking side for some time now (the leap to controlling games still alludes them, in my opinion) and we're always susceptible to that.  Even when Rashford was utterly dreadful he still always seemed to score against us so I'm expecting the same again.  Hopefully we can get Ferndandes into a sulk early on so that he's not pulling the strings for them.

I guess we'll just need to outscore them and we've certainly got the individuals to do that.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #39 on: March 3, 2023, 11:43:05 am »
The good news for us is that Paul Mersin has said United won’t lose this one.

So 3 more points in our quest for a Top 4 place.