Author Topic: Saturday Feb 25th, 19.45, Crystal Palace vs Liverpool  (Read 13141 times)

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Saturday Feb 25th, 19.45, Crystal Palace vs Liverpool
« on: February 23, 2023, 01:54:28 pm »
                                                        EPL, Saturday Feb 25th, 19.45, Crystal Palace vs Liverpool

Referee: Darren England. Assistants: Dan Cook, Dan Robathan. Fourth official: Steve Martin. VAR:Andre Marriner. Assistant VAR: Richard West.

“The Horror….The Horror” …. Colonel Kurtz

As a form of therapy I decided to do the pre-game piece. If ever there was a game we needed to win it’s this one. If ever there was (historically) a game we should win it’s this one. But "History pistory we’ve all fallen down” this week anyway.

First of all Palace.

Right, Just paid a visit to a Palace forum (hi Lads) to get a flavour of how they are looking forward to the game. They are just as confused as any other fans forum. As far as their team goes there have been doubts about`Mitchell (right full) and Zaha (our buddy) but the smart money is on both playing.

love us to change to 4-3-3 but I highly doubt he’s going to change it for this game when we’ve been effective at nullifying higher level opposition playing 4-2-3-1.

When we played them at Selhurst for 30mins we got slaughtered by the space their full backs got with us playing 4-2-3-1. Pat changed it to 4-4-1-1 and we should have got a draw out of the game. To stifle space for their full backs I think we should go 4-4-1-1

Trying to figure out if them getting hammered by Real is a good or a bad thing?

I would put my house on all 3 starting.  (Schlupp, Ayew and Mateta)

I know it was Real Madrid but watching that midfield 3 of Fabinho, Henderson and the young lad they were completely played off the park. If we press and put them under pressure we would have a really good chance. Fully expect us to give them the freedom of Selhurst though and to create the square root of **** all as per usual with Ayew and co.

The back 5 pick themselves
Not necessarily the side that I would pick but I think PV will go with this for the other 6 places:
Doucoure Lokongo Schlupp Olise Zaha Mateta

The general vibe, tactically, is either low block/fast counterattack or get at us from the start, high press our dodgy midfield and release fast forwards. In other words the Real Madrid or the Brighton tactics.

Given they have figured out various methods for beating us and the proof has been played out many times this season, the question is which way do they go ? I think they will probably go low block myself, like Anfield earlier this season.

There, Anderson gave a masterclass in long ball distribution and close quarter irritation of Nunez which led to a red and a 3 game ban, the first of a number of rhythm busting sequences, for our forward signing. Weirdly we played better with 10 men against them, just as Saudi Arabia did against us last week. Palace waited, pounced and scored and then went back into their shell to wait again.

They are a bit tentative on the forum. A bit unsure. Confidence doesn’t seem to be very high. (Welcome to our world). Results since the World Cup interlude have not been great. They have played 10 and won 1. At home, at Selhurst Park, they have played 6, drawn 3 and lost 3. They average a goal a game and concede 1.5 goals per game. Not great. As a quick comparison, we’ve played 8 league games since the World Cup, we’ve won 4, drew 1 and lost 3. We score and concede a goal a game. As bad as it’s been it’s still a country mile better than Palace. The one proviso here is that they have recently taken points off Saudi, Utd, Brentford and Brighton all of whom sit above or around us in the table. No-one has scored much against them recently either. All a bit tight all around.

Historically, since Jurgan has been at the helm, at Palace we’ve done well. Actually we’ve been brilliant. Played 7, won 7, scoring 22, conceding 5.
The team last season, at Palace, was Joel plus the usual 4 in defence. Jordan, Fab and Ox in the middle and Curtis, Bobby and Diogo up front. It was AFCON times and we had Taki as the only forward on the bench. Bobby tends to score at Palace and it wouldn’t be a shock if he played Saturday night.

Now what do you do with a problem like Maria ? (anyone ?). Us, Liverpool. The Reds.

If you took away the Madrid game …massacre, midweek, I would be fairly confident the team could have chalked up another 2-0 type of steady win. However we were humiliated in front of the world on Tuesday, not beaten, murdered. So I don’t know how we’ll go on Saturday. At least there are 4 full days of rest so I imagine it’s from the same squad we’ll pick again.

Because we do well at Palace I think Jurgan might change it up a little. Naby hasn’t had a game in a while and since his latest comeback has played quite well. The midfield were playing in treacle by the end on Tuesday.
It’s a 50-50 call for me on Joe v Joel. Palace will have 2 weapons against us I feel. The first is pace and Joe wins there. The second is from set pieces where we have been fairly rubbish, Joel wins there.
Bobby does play well against this lot and he scores against them. Is it time for a re-call ? The other option is a complete wild-card, Ox or Curtis ? I think Diogo is still way-off in terms of fitness and touch.

I dream of another Everton or first 20 against Saudi. Seems like a lifetime ago but it wasn’t’. A win, any win, then we can get back to licking our wounds in peace.

What do you think ?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 12:13:26 am by John C »

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
Re: EPL, Saturday Feb 25th, 19.45, Crystal Palace vs Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 01:57:45 pm »
I think thats an excellent OP thanks for that.

As far as the game goes, I'd be happy with a scrappy 0-6 away win.

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 02:02:40 pm »
Your guess is as good as mine. Hope for a win, hope is all we have at the Minute

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 02:04:06 pm »
Excellent OP.

And yeah... ANY win, right now, will do.  :)
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 02:09:37 pm »
Darwin will correct his mistake from the first game here, hopefully he plays through the middle too. Stef, Naby and whoever in midfield.

No Zaha for them and they can't score any goals so expecting us to make them look like Heynckes Bayern.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 02:15:18 pm »
Jota on the left.

Was going to say to give Robbo someone to link up with, but I’m half expecting Tsimikas to start.
AHA!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 02:23:03 pm »
Fourth official sounds like a real jerk.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 02:26:21 pm »
Brilliant OP

Palace seem to have a similar mindset to us it seems like.
Confidence not being great we do not need to gift them anything, which seems to be the curse of our season so far

I would think that there will be some rotation, have some fresh minds who weren't massacred by Madrid and see where we go from there

Matip, Jota I think will definitely start and maybe Elliott?

Hope we can carry on our league winning form and get a bit further up the table. will boost confidence all round
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023, 02:29:07 pm »
Tuesday was a blow, but we somehow still have something to play for. Need to be up for it, never easy there.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2023, 02:32:45 pm »

Intelligent though......
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2023, 02:38:45 pm »

Well spotted mate !!!

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2023, 03:03:47 pm »
Stop picking players who aren't very good right now and we might have a chance. My faith that we'll do just that is pretty low.

Offline BigRedFeetBed

• Main Stander
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2023, 03:10:48 pm »
Thanks for the OP!

I mean no disrespect to Palace as we have seen that writing so called lesser teams off has sometimes this season resulted in us getting it handed back to us on a plate, however, I do feel the team will be looking to make up for Tuesday and I also feel that some know they are now playing for their places in the team a little more with missing players starting to come back. A win in any form would do me as we may now need to put all our CL qualification prospects down to this seasons leagues results.

We do see our defence making more mistakes but that is simply down to the fact our midfield isn't as reliable as it once was. It's good to see Mo, Nunez and Cody gelling a bit more now and scoring more freely. It still doesn't help us defensively though so we need to score more as we are more likely to concede more.

I can see Mo, Nunez and Cody starting again with Jota and Bobby coming off the bench.

I am guessing Thiago wont be available and there are still question marks over Ox and Naby. I can see the latter 2 players being involved at some point if fit, but it'll probably be from the bench and I think we will see them one way or the other. Bajcetic should be one of the first names on the team sheet. There is a question around whether certain players can play 3 times in a week but to be honest, the Newcastle game wouldn't have been too knackering as I believe we were managing the game after the red card. We may not have been Carraghers choice for team of the match but the results speak for themselves, a win and a clean sheet.

Real Madrid probably took more out of them than they would have liked but I can see Jurgen starting with Hendo and Fab with Stefan. In any case, Fab and Hendo wont play the full match.

Defence is quickly becoming a problem area due to other factors in midfield. I still don't get the clamour to crucify Joe at every given opportunity by a selection of our fans. Its easy to point the finger at Joe for some but I feel there are more mistakes in Matip at the moment. I also don't understand the stuff about Phillips either. He isn't a bad player and has certainly helped us out when we have needed him. Its one of those positions where either of them are unfortunately going to be subject of the usual scapegoating if results don't go our way, such is some of our fanbase at the moment.  Trent, Gomez/Phillips, VVD and Robbo.

I think id certainly be looking to see some playing time for any 5 of these from the bench. Tsimikas, Milner, Ox, Naby, Elliot, Jota and Bobby.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2023, 03:17:35 pm »
Yes, he's a Dirty Rotten Scoundrel.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2023, 03:26:30 pm »
I'd expect changes for this one, we usually stick with the same team if we've won the previous match but switch things up if we've had a bad result.  Matip surely coming in for Gomez and maybe a start for Bobby or Jota.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2023, 03:30:19 pm »
Hello darkness my old friend. I've come to talk with you again.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2023, 03:32:22 pm »
Hate these 7.45 or 8pm Saturday night matches. :butt
#Sausages

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2023, 04:04:55 pm »

Yes. 530 saturday - very decent indeed. 730 or later saturday - it's a no from me.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2023, 04:09:55 pm »
Not sure how Klopp will react to the Madrid game, plus must be some planned rotation this month. At a guess: Alisson, Trent, Matip, Van Dijk, Tsimikas, Bajcetic, Henderson, Milner, Salah, Nunez, Firmino.

Offline red whine

• goes to my hhead
  • Main Stander
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2023, 04:13:21 pm »
Darwin will correct his mistake from the first game here, hopefully he plays through the middle too. Stef, Naby and whoever in midfield.

No Zaha for them and they can't score any goals so expecting us to make them look like Heynckes Bayern.

Zaha not back for this one?

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2023, 04:13:34 pm »
Thanks so much for stepping in at short notice Dougle and providing an excellent OP.

Think I’m still a little shell shocked after Tuesday, quite the humbling. Hopefully the lads see this as a chance to get that out of their systems. It’s probably crucial at the moment not to give away the first goal with confidence so brittle. I know we scored first on Tuesday but Palace aren’t Madrid and I think scoring first would be a massive boost for us in this game in particular..

Be interesting to see what changes to the team will be made. Almost a fully fit squad bar Thiago and Diaz, or did Gomez or someone pick up an injury Tuesday? So options to change it up. Imagine midfield could be tinkered with and perhaps Matip comes in, not sure about the front 3.

Hopeful we can get an early goal, think we’ll get 3 points if we do.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2023, 04:25:03 pm »
Zaha not back for this one?

Vieira said last friday that he's a couple of weeks away from team training so hopefully not.

On another note, will be nice to face a team who's supporters will just back their own team and not spend 90mins chanting shit about us, good support are Palace.

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2023, 04:31:00 pm »

Hopefully better than the 3 Amigos listed beside him.
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2023, 04:52:01 pm »

Love them myself.

11:45 am or Noon kickoffs my time.

Beats those 4:30 Am kickoffs. Like the upcoming Bournemouth match.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2023, 05:12:16 pm »
Konate back in training

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2023, 05:43:49 pm »
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2023, 05:58:41 pm »

Yeah, but shite. Especially for those travelling.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2023, 06:09:52 pm »
For me we have to get 7 points minimum from Palace, Wolves and United if we're serious about finishing top 4. This will be a really interesting game to see where we are heading. Everton and Newcastle papered over some cracks definitely but there was some great spells in those games as well as there was in that first 20 of Madrid. We simply need to step it up at the back. Some of the mistakes we're making are schoolboy and that's not acceptable, whatever excuses you might make.

A Saturday night away game at a stadium that seem to treat us coming there like a cup final will be a big test.

I'd go same back 4, bring Keita or Elliot in to the midfield and start Jota over Gakpo if he's fit enough.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2023, 01:04:29 am »
This thread should be on the top of this section, huge game.
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2023, 03:33:04 am »
It's hard to get up for this game. Hopefully Jurgen has the lads firing and ready to take it out on Palace. If we go out dejected and get beat, we all may as well call it a day for this season.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2023, 07:35:08 am »
Just have to hope the players have not lost all belief. We need to win this one.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2023, 07:58:22 am »
We do have a really strong recent record at Palace. Hopefully that helps the players know they can win there. Great opportunity to out some pressure on the teams above us who aren’t playing.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2023, 08:35:22 am »
I hope we give them a kicking

Lot of our talk is a summer rebuild and we need a new midfield yada yada yada I don't disagree

But the games are still coming and we can only play the matches we have in front of us

I would expect a response

I demand a FURIOUS response. I still think we have it in us.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2023, 09:55:03 am »
Thanks Dougle and I share your total confusion as to how we will play and what performance we will see.

Them not having Zaha is a big loss as he always seems to play well against us.

In reality we should dominate and win but who knows as we have been all over the place. Let's go back to basics and be tight in midfield and defence. I don't think that Palace have the players to over-run our midfield which is good.

Our front three should be more than enough to score at least 2 goals.

If we can control midfield then I expect a 2-0 win to us. If we turn up looking like the keystone kops again then who knows.
#JFT97

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2023, 09:56:59 am »
I think we have more than enough to beat them. We'd probably need to score first though because we can't seem to deal with setbacks well at the moment.

If we concede first, I don't see us winning especially with that atmosphere.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2023, 10:13:19 am »
Can we win this? Yes. Are we going to? Who knows.

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2023, 10:14:54 am »
One of those teams that are capable of utterly destroying us. Hoping for a win but fully expecting another wolves/brighton.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2023, 10:21:03 am »
Should be a win this, they aren't having a good season are they?

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2023, 10:23:01 am »
Should be a win this, they aren't having a good season are they?

Should this have been posted on a Palace forum?  ;)
Jurgen YNWA

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2023, 10:27:25 am »
Should this have been posted on a Palace forum?  ;)

:lmao

Touche.