Author Topic: LFC What If's Week One: What if Everton had paid the rent?  (Read 1196 times)

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
LFC What If's Week One: What if Everton had paid the rent?
« on: January 9, 2023, 02:19:06 pm »
As everyone is so down right now and seemingly going round in circles, I thought this would be a fun diversion. If people are interested in this then each Monday from now until I get bored, I'll ask a different What If question about the club's history for general discussion.

Week one: What if the Everton directors had paid the rent?

Liverpool Football Club was formed on 15 March 1892 following a disagreement between the directors of Everton Football Club and its president, John Houlding, who owned the club's ground, Anfield. A dispute over rent resulted in Everton moving to Goodison Park, which left Houlding with an empty stadium. Thus, he founded Liverpool F.C., and they joined the Lancashire League. After winning the league title in their first season, Liverpool were accepted into the Football League for the 1893–94 season, following the resignations of Accrington and Bootle.

In this reality there is no disagreement, Everton stay at Anfield and Liverpool FC never gets formed in 1892. Bearing in mind Everton were reigning league champions at the time, does a second club still spring up or does Liverpool remain a predominantly one-club city like Newcastle or Leeds? Does Everton keep its name or does it name itself after the city like the other city-centric clubs? Does it keep the black shirt and red sash or does it change colour to something else? How successful would a single Liverpool club have been and what characteristics would it have? What would the last 130-odd years have looked like? Be as expansive as you want.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC What If's Week One: What if Everton had paid the rent?
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2023, 04:23:14 pm »
The ribbons would have been blue

Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2023, 04:41:28 pm »
A lot would depend on who the club, whether it stayed as Everton or rebranded itself Liverpool FC, brought in. If they fully followed the EFC path from 1878 until now, then I don't think they would have much more success than what they have had, although not making decisions based on the jealousy of what we were doing might have changed things.

The biggest influence on our direction as a club was Shanks being appointed. He started the ball rolling and it was his assistant Bob would brought the huge success of the 70's and 80's and it was a player Bob signed, King Kenny, who carried that on until he had to stop.

The club could have followed a similar path to us, but in 1991, chose not to have appointed Souness - that would have changed things, both for us and for Man Utd...

Jurgen YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3 on: January 9, 2023, 04:49:24 pm »
Would we be one weird one club city like Newcastle I wonder? Just a bigger, better version?

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #4 on: January 9, 2023, 05:06:37 pm »
Very likely they'd have changed their name to Liverpool something FC in the 1890s-1900s like Newton Heath->Man United and Ardwick->Man City.

Wonder how it would have affected other teams in the area. With only one major club in the city, would there have been less impetus to choose it above local suburban/Lancashire/Cheshire sides than with the Liverpool-Everton rivalry?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5 on: January 9, 2023, 06:38:21 pm »
I think it would still be a one club city, with the club called Liverpool Football Club.

The Everton name would definitely have been dropped long ago. I have no doubt about that.

Whether that version of LFC would have been anything like as successful is anyone's guess. All I can say is I'm so glad the toxics never paid the rent.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 01:06:45 pm »
If they'd have paid the rent they'd have done the treble in 1986, or so you'd believe if you listen to them.

Nah, we'd have still split into two teams. Scouse bell ends need a different team to Scouse none bell ends. They got bitter about the rent increase, just like they get bitter about anything. They'd have found something else to be bitter about and left to build Goodison.

There was a really funny article once, in one of the fanzines. Can't remember if it was RAOTL or TTWAR (I used to alternate). It was on about things they were bitter about up to 1920. Dead funny, wish I'd have kept it. There was a Liverpool Senior Cup match where we beat them and they complained to the FA about the ref, stuff like that.

If we'd have been one team there'd have been cushions all over the Anfield pitch when we got beat in the 70s. Not everyone in Liverpool is bitter. Just half the people.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2023, 04:29:19 pm »
They're in the process of building their third stadium, dontcha know?
I have actually heard blues utter those exact words.   ::)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2023, 04:31:41 pm »
They're in the process of building their third stadium, dontcha know?
I have actually heard blues utter those exact words.   ::)
I've heard that loads of times. It's amazing how many of them don't actually know their history after all.  :jester
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2023, 09:38:52 pm »
Ifithadnabin4notpayingtherent

Offline Kemlyn 28

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2023, 10:31:45 am »
I reckon Bootle might have become a much bigger club if we hadn’t have started.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2023, 08:39:53 pm »
Football as a sport would have failed due to the shitness of it all and we'd be on the rugby right now.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.