Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 326849 times)

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
Re: Cody Mathès Gakpo
« Reply #3600 on: March 17, 2024, 06:42:59 pm »
Bring him only on when we are winning 5-0. Never seen him make an impact when we need him the most

He did score some goals when we needed him (against Spurs) but they come way too far and few in between.

His anonymous performances are too many for us.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3601 on: March 17, 2024, 06:43:26 pm »
Absurd to blame Gakpo for this IMO. He wasnt the one giving the ball to United or wasting 4 on 2 situations
He absolutely was the one who fucked the 5v2, and barely put a shift in. He was the freshest player in attack and was the most anonymous.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3602 on: March 17, 2024, 06:43:58 pm »
He will get one season off Alonso to prove himself before he' shown the door I fear. Michael Edwards  looking up pacey wide forwards as we speak.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3603 on: March 17, 2024, 06:44:57 pm »
I don't know why Danns isn't playing above Gakpo.

He's a kid I know but from his fleeting appearances so far, he is much more in sync with the style of play and that's to be expected as they are taught a similar system in the youth teams.

With that in mind, regardless of his age, he's a more natural fit to this team over Gakpo. Add to the fact he looks capable in front of goal and his link up play has been excellent, it just doesn't make sense to bring on Gakpo who at best is only ever a passenger.

Danns makes things happen. We've got to seriously start thinking about the future here, cut our losses with Gakpo but give Danns the best opportunity to impress the new manager.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3604 on: March 17, 2024, 06:45:32 pm »
Way to get behind a player.
As if he is going to log onto RAWK, read my comment and get any worse than he is.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #3605 on: March 17, 2024, 06:45:58 pm »
As if he is going to log onto RAWK, read my comment and get any worse than he is.

Judging by the speed he plays at, he won't log on til August.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 06:48:35 pm by JP! »
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Kopite
« Reply #3606 on: March 17, 2024, 06:46:00 pm »

Should be sent to the reserves after this. Brain dead footballer, who plays in slow motion and has no urgency or tenacity. He doesn't score (except against dross in the EL), doesn't assist and can't link up. What does he do? If he is 5th choice, I'd rather see Danns get these minutes than him.
What's wrong with this? He made the pass to Elliott on the right side. It was alright. I'm baffled anyone can blame him for this situation. What the fuck are you supposed to do?

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #3607 on: March 17, 2024, 06:46:23 pm »
What's wrong with this? He made the pass to Elliott on the right side. It was alright. I'm baffled anyone can blame him for this situation. What the fuck are you supposed to do?

Pass the ball earlier

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3608 on: March 17, 2024, 06:46:56 pm »
The 5v2 was annoying but it's not the bigger issue IMO, the bigger issue is that he just jogs around waiting for someone to give him the ball. If you're an elite forward you can get away with that but when you're a rotation option coming into a game where everyone else is exhausted, it's inexcusable.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3609 on: March 17, 2024, 06:47:23 pm »
I thought he had a bad game but in his defence, I don't think anyone made a really good run for him on that break.
We had a counter at 3-2 and his movement was poor. He just had a very poor game.

The ball didn't stick and they could attack us more.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3610 on: March 17, 2024, 06:47:42 pm »
The damning thing with Gakpo in recent weeks is young players like Elliott, Bradley, Quansah have stepped up and looked like leaders when we've been injury ravaged, kids have come into the team and really helped us, obviously in the cup final but in the league as well. Gakpo, a more senior, international player really hasn't helped us much in the same period. I don't know if he's just having a bad patch or what but he really hasn't done himself any favours of late. He's basically cemented himself as the last choice forward when everyone's fit.

Hopefully he can turn it around but he's been here a decent time now and he hasn't really shown any signs of progress, I still don't know what he's supposed to be and what exactly we want him to offer us. Is he a false 9? A quick winger? A forward? A ten? We even gave him a spell in midfield.

He's not at fault for today but he has to have a bit of a reset and dig in to turn this around.

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #3611 on: March 17, 2024, 06:48:56 pm »

He's contributed this season. Don't undersell it just because it's been predominantly in Europe. And he's young and not a starter these days so will lack rhythm. The way this teams been this year, I'm willing to give them all the benefit of the doubt. They've done us proud.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3612 on: March 17, 2024, 06:49:16 pm »
When's Jota back?

Difference between a DoF signing and a management signing. Different levels.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3613 on: March 17, 2024, 06:49:56 pm »
When's Jota back?

Difference between a DoF signing and a management signing. Different levels.

I don't get how people can say its a management signing and not backed by DOF?

Offline shook

• not stirred
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3614 on: March 17, 2024, 06:50:31 pm »

That picture doesn't show earlier in that passage, the ball should have been released before the picture frame. I think what was worse of him today was he kept losing the ball from my recollection, in the central areas. He definitely has had better games recently, wonder if there is some fatigue, he tends to be rested less than the likes of Nunez.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #3615 on: March 17, 2024, 06:50:39 pm »
And Elliot proceeded to give the ball away, zero blame

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3616 on: March 17, 2024, 06:52:45 pm »
He made a terrible pass, to the wrong option which was actually meant for Diaz.

Yeah everything was wrong.

Even if he didn't know what to do. He could have run with it a couple more yards and just draw one of the two defenders to him. If that was Salah, he would have ran, waited for the defenders to take actions and then either shot or made a better pass based on that. That's the difference between elite & brain dead.

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3617 on: March 17, 2024, 06:53:33 pm »

Elliot ends up with the ball with a United player right in front of him. Either play the ball quickly so the player receiving the ball is running into space, or delay the pass, draw one of the United last men to you and play a player in on either side.

He completely killed the momentum of the move.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #3618 on: March 17, 2024, 06:53:35 pm »
There's a lot of focus on the 5 v 2 and the nuances of it when he was just shite anyway.

Ponderous, weak and frankly just floated through the game.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3619 on: March 17, 2024, 06:54:04 pm »
That picture doesn't show earlier in that passage, the ball should have been released before the picture frame. I think what was worse of him today was he kept losing the ball from my recollection, in the central areas. He definitely has had better games recently, wonder if there is some fatigue, he tends to be rested less than the likes of Nunez.
That’s his problem, I don’t think he has the vision or creativity required. He did almost exactly the same midweek when an easy through ball was on, instead deciding to turn back and play it safe.

This phase right at the beginning of the second half highlighted everything why Gakpo can be so infuriating. Bradley hits a lovely long ball to Elliot who plays a first time pass to Gapko. Gakpo simply needs to play a through ball to Elliot and he's through on goal but instead he hesitates, takes four or five touches, and then passes the ball backwards. By then Sparta have get numbers behind the ball.

Any other forward and that ball gets played forward immediately.

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline T.Mills

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3620 on: March 17, 2024, 06:54:33 pm »

Should be sent to the reserves after this. Brain dead footballer, who plays in slow motion and has no urgency or tenacity. He doesn't score (except against dross in the EL), doesn't assist and can't link up. What does he do? If he is 5th choice, I'd rather see Danns get these minutes than him.

Tbf we tend to fuck up them sort of chances more often than not.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3621 on: March 17, 2024, 06:56:26 pm »
That’s his problem, I don’t think he has the vision or creativity required. He did almost exactly the same midweek when an easy through ball was on, instead deciding to turn back and play it safe.

This phase right at the beginning of the second half highlighted everything why Gakpo can be so infuriating. Bradley hits a lovely long ball to Elliot who plays a first time pass to Gapko. Gakpo simply needs to play a through ball to Elliot and he's through on goal but instead he hesitates, takes four or five touches, and then passes the ball backwards. By then Sparta have get numbers behind the ball.

Any other forward and that ball gets played forward immediately.

The more I see him in a red shirt, the more I am reminded of David N'gog.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #3622 on: March 17, 2024, 06:56:33 pm »
He is in bad form. Needs a good, long spell on the bench when Jota returns.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3623 on: March 17, 2024, 06:57:12 pm »
Thought he would’ve made a statement with the recent injuries but he’s just looked off it. It’s a shame but hopefully he can pick it up

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #3624 on: March 17, 2024, 06:58:21 pm »
He is in bad form. Needs a good, long spell on the bench when Jota returns.

That's why he's in bad form. His appearances are too sporadic.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3625 on: March 17, 2024, 06:58:43 pm »
Am I going mad or did Darwin also balls up a similar situation? Or did I just think it was him in the move from that image? In which case I apologise for telling Nunez he was shite at the time ;D

We do seem a bit poor at times from those types of situations. As a team we tend to benefit from things being fast and instinctive, when we have time we often make the wrong decisions. I have been critical of Gakpo but I actually think the movement wasn't great there considering the numbers we had.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3626 on: March 17, 2024, 06:59:21 pm »
he is 25 in May. Hardly a raw youngster.

not sure why we signed him. my main issue with him is his effort level. He falls far below our others forwards in that regard. For a player of decent size, he doesnt contest anything either. 

He has no finish in him either. he should have attempted to chip Onana when he was put through with Onana coming out from his goal. Instead he knockeds the ball past him into a cul de sac and then proceeds to waste an eternity to do anyhing with it.

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3627 on: March 17, 2024, 06:59:47 pm »
The issue is not the 5 v 2, the problem lies with him going completely missing. Honestly I forget he's on the pitch a lot of the time, his lack of intensity and pace really hurts us, he's like a blunt knife. Today was inexcusable though, coming on with fresh legs when the lads are tired he shouldn't be going missing, shocking stuff.

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #3628 on: March 17, 2024, 07:01:13 pm »
Can't help feeling he's being a scapegoat a bit. Everyone in the front line was off it. Salah didn't put a pass right! One of those days, move on

Offline yes

• no. prog punditry
  • Kopite
  • I got the ill communication
« Reply #3629 on: March 17, 2024, 07:01:22 pm »
He exists.

Offline PEG2K

• Kopite
« Reply #3630 on: March 17, 2024, 07:01:31 pm »
All the "analyses" as to what he should have done there were nitpicking ffs. The ball reached Elliott just fine and the chance was still there. I swear if Elliott and Gakpo swapped places in that exact situation the blame would still be on Gakpo lol.

If you guys notice we scored off 2 deflections and 1 rebound. Maybe the players contributing to those goals should have done better too? There were a million times in the second half when we got into  dangerous positions only for someone to fuck up the final ball, but I guess it's Gakpo on the bench who was at fault.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #3631 on: March 17, 2024, 07:02:10 pm »
The absolute fucking state of some of the posts in here, people that have never kicked a ball in their lifes talking complete and utter dogshit, that's the great problem of the internet, giving equal power voices to people who are absolutely fucking clueless.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #3632 on: March 17, 2024, 07:02:44 pm »
That's why he's in bad form. His appearances are too sporadic.
Don't know. He has been racking up minutes since Jota's injury. He just hasn't looked right.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3633 on: March 17, 2024, 07:03:02 pm »
The absolute fucking state of some of the posts in here, people that have never kicked a ball in their lifes talking complete and utter dogshit, that's the great problem of the internet, giving equal power voices to people who are absolutely fucking clueless.

It’s an internet forum. No one has any power. Get over yourself.

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #3634 on: March 17, 2024, 07:03:30 pm »

You don't need to have kicked a ball to know when someone's doing fuck all of any use.

Offline PEG2K

• Kopite
« Reply #3635 on: March 17, 2024, 07:04:07 pm »
Also the whole team were just fucking passing around in the second half like a training session. But somehow the guy who came on at 2-1 took all the blames for showing no urgency.

Offline Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #3636 on: March 17, 2024, 07:04:12 pm »
Nunez was great in the first 90 mins, I’m not defending Gakpo because you can’t, but Nunez made several bad decisions in extra time in the final third and then one that led to costing us the game

Tired player makes mistake. But his overall contribution was a reason we were still in the game. Trying to defend Gakpo by bringing him down is weird to me.

This is the Gakpo thread. He was really poor but not the main reason for our sloppy display in all fairness.

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3637 on: March 17, 2024, 07:05:09 pm »
Tbf we tend to fuck up them sort of chances more often than not.

Second half of injury time we had a 4 on 2 and messed that up as well.
Gakpo flatters to deceive though in my eyes. Added nothing today.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3638 on: March 17, 2024, 07:05:27 pm »
By your logic, Michael Edwards should not be our DOF because he is judging players when he never played the game as a pro. Ditto Klopp, a German second division player at best and Lijnders, who never played the game as a pro, should not tell world class footballers what to do because they never reached that level.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3639 on: March 17, 2024, 07:05:31 pm »
Nobody is blaming him directly for the loss but this is Liverpool and we should demand the best. He's been at the club a while and is he an upgrade on Divock, i don't think so.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?