Author Topic: Your Worst Games  (Read 1924 times)

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Your Worst Games
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2022, 10:52:59 am »

Modern Warfare 3-maybe controversial but this was the beginning of the end for me with COD. i remember being so hyped for it after playing modern warfare, modern warfare 2 and black ops to death. However, it was  a major disappointment. the single player wasnt bad but the multiplayer was bland and they made everything so complicated.
Not controversial at all, I came into this thread planning to moan about this. I remember playing it for the first time at realizing that they had copy/pasted the reload animations from MW2. Boring, bland and lazy.

Peter Molyneux' Black and White. Not nescessarily a bad game but it didn't deliver on the hype. It's been a while but I remember it lacking in content, especially in interaction with NPCs.

Fallout 76. Was released unfinished. Different experiences here, depending on who you ask, but the game was unplayable for me due to bugs. The world was empty and soulless as well. Modern Fallout players are used to bugs, but this game took it to another level.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2022, 12:40:23 pm »
I did mention in the appropriate thread, but Battlefield 2042 is an appalling game, a continuing slide of diminishing returns in the franchise. Terrible bland bowls for maps, shocking gunplay, their determination to hop onto the battle royale train (too late), those avatars for kiddies that no one wanted, the lack of an actual scoreboard in case it put off “losers”. They 100% went in the wrong direction from immersion to arcade. I spent Ł50 and played it a few times before going back to BFV which wasn’t as good as BF1 but at least looked like a battlefield game. I haven’t been back since January, even if some people think it’s got better. It could actually be a franchise killer for a lot of people.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2022, 01:04:47 pm »
I did mention in the appropriate thread, but Battlefield 2042 is an appalling game, a continuing slide of diminishing returns in the franchise. Terrible bland bowls for maps, shocking gunplay, their determination to hop onto the battle royale train (too late), those avatars for kiddies that no one wanted, the lack of an actual scoreboard in case it put off “losers”. They 100% went in the wrong direction from immersion to arcade. I spent Ł50 and played it a few times before going back to BFV which wasn’t as good as BF1 but at least looked like a battlefield game. I haven’t been back since January, even if some people think it’s got better. It could actually be a franchise killer for a lot of people.

It's a franchise killer for me. I think I bought the one up from the standard version. I even kept the faith after the beta so more fool me but they just took a massive shit on their playerbase and this was when COD went with Vanguard so they had a real chance to get the upperhand but they fucked it up.

Now they are crawling back 3 seasons later or whatever it is throwing it on Gamepass to get some players on. I'll never buy another battlefield game again, missing basic features at launch, so many bugs. Atmospherically it was a souless dead game.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2022, 03:40:05 pm »
Good thread premise, loads to mention.

One of the worst for me was Pokémon X and Y. I’d been a big fan of the franchise as I was a young kid in the 90s when it became a phenomenon. I’ve never had a present match the excitement I got from unwrapping a Game Boy Color and Pokémon Blue on my 7th Birthday.

After people had accused the formula of being stale - with some justification - the company did a soft reboot with the 5th Generation games Black and White and smashed it out of the park with arguably the best Pokémon games ever, with high quality, moving 2D sprites. X and Y were meant to be the new era, 3D, with 3D models and a more ambitious world. What was delivered was a badly-paced mess where the game looked awful despite a leap in hardware and technology, with the themes of the game simplified, many of the mechanics streamlined and all challenge thrown out the window. Insultingly easy and boring. The only Pokémon game (until I stopped buying them at Sword and Shield) I didn’t bother completing. The franchise has never recovered since and has been awful. Needs a reboot with a longer production cycle and they should go back to high-quality 2D like Octopath Traveller.

Another that hugely disappointed was, as others have said, PES 2008. The start of the decline for the series and it’s arguable it never truly recovered. What people tend to forget is what an opportunity this was for PES, because 6 had been good still and Fifa 07 an unplayable mess that was ported to the new generation of consoles quite dreadfully. Fifa 08 came out shortly after PES’ bodge job and took a stranglehold on the console football scene that has yet to relent. It looked decent, it actually played far more solidly and realistically than a lot of FIFA’s in it’s wake.

“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez