Author Topic: Holidays 2023 - What's your plans?  (Read 45292 times)

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
Re: Holidays 2023 - What's your plans?
« Reply #760 on: September 25, 2023, 05:41:04 am »
If never been to either, Rome. History is just amazing, the food and wine fantastic and small enough to walk around get lost in.
Even as a huge ancient history buff, I didn't hate Rome, but I didn't love it either. If your main attraction for going there is Roman things, then there are better preserved ruins elsewhere - the Empire was quite a big place after all! Maybe the other bits aren't as famous, but they're less touristy and maybe cheaper to visit.
I thought Rome was better than Amsterdam in my experience though the purposes of the trips were very different and may cloud my opinion of the cities.
Just thought Rome was more interesting on the whole.
Also potentially better weather than Amsterdam in Sept/Oct.
A deeper set of pockets is required though an expensive place
Thank you very much, bryanod, Riquende, Jookie, redgriffin73, gazzam1963.

I really really appreciate all of your inputs and those help me a lot in making a decision.

Okay, will save my money for Rome then, maybe next 2-3 years would be Amsterdam.

I aaammmm ssssooo excited!! Hahahhaahha!!! It's time to work hard for 8-9 months for me!!!  ;D  ;D

What a poor bastard. Hahahhahaa!!  ;D  ;D
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #761 on: September 25, 2023, 11:45:46 am »
Out of the 12 Cape Verde hotels that come up on TUI, that's the most expensive one, ye flash get.  :)

Joking aside, that does look pretty good, and only a couple of hundred quid difference between them all anyway.

hahaha yea it wasnt the cheapest but not much more than the others that were available but did look better. I was gonna go to Dubai but flights were expensive plus didnt get away in the summer for a couple of reasons so its the main one for the year.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #762 on: September 25, 2023, 11:55:40 am »
hahaha yea it wasnt the cheapest but not much more than the others that were available but did look better. I was gonna go to Dubai but flights were expensive plus didnt get away in the summer for a couple of reasons so its the main one for the year.

I'm booking the same resort as you this week. It looks ideal.

We had a week in Majorca end of May, but the weather was hit-and-miss.  I feel cheated so flexing the arl credit card for this. Fuck it :)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: September 25, 2023, 04:53:28 pm »

Dubai is off our radar now - stayed in the JA Palm resort in 2019, cost about £4800 for the four of us, should have gone back in 2021, was £4200 for 8 nights, its around £11,000 now for 7 nights - fuck that right off.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: September 25, 2023, 08:42:22 pm »
Dubai is off our radar now - stayed in the JA Palm resort in 2019, cost about £4800 for the four of us, should have gone back in 2021, was £4200 for 8 nights, its around £11,000 now for 7 nights - fuck that right off.
Jesus!! I am not expecting Dubai is that expensive, Rob mate...

That gives me a vibe, "We only welcome rich people". Hahhahha!!! Bloody hell.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: September 25, 2023, 08:50:33 pm »
It's not that expensive if you book in advance. We went last year for 10 days, stayed at Voco Hotel (5 star, top location), bed and breakfast, only came up to £1,500 for the two of us.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #766 on: September 25, 2023, 08:52:42 pm »
Jesus!! I am not expecting Dubai is that expensive, Rob mate...

That gives me a vibe, "We only welcome rich people". Hahhahha!!! Bloody hell.

Dubai can be ridiculously expensive. I've been twice, first time was July 2009 for the wife's 40th, so as it was the middle of summer and 49c, so it wasn't dear as it was dead, think the hotel was about £60 a night and flights were about £600 for the pair of us, wine was £35 a bottle, although we went out with her brother and his wife for a Thai meal, we split the bill, I got the food, he got the drink, it was £300 and £150 was for just two bottles of wine. A pint was about £9 and a glass of Champagne was £30 at the Burj Al Arab.

What you do is find the places where they do a few hours all you can eat and drink, they're usually about £50 a head and go nuts in there ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #767 on: September 25, 2023, 09:06:23 pm »
It's not that expensive if you book in advance. We went last year for 10 days, stayed at Voco Hotel (5 star, top location), bed and breakfast, only came up to £1,500 for the two of us.

We've looked at 12 months in advance and cannot get it for under £11k, it was £16k at one point. It was a gorgeous place, right on the beach with about 7 restaurants, a Michelin starred Indian, free kayaks, a gun club, birds of prey, Palm Trees, streams, bridges all that kind of stuff, but like the missus says, its not worth the money now

Jurgen YNWA

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: September 25, 2023, 10:43:02 pm »
I went to Ushuaia a few years ago, we hiked in Tierra del Fuego NP through the boulder field instead of up to a summit and really enjoyed it, also did one to one Laguna Esmeralda as well which is a really pretty hike along a glacial blue river to a lake. In the town you should go to Freddo if you like gelato, and I also went to a really good all you can eat BBQ place where they cook spatchcocked lamb, no idea of the name anymore though unfortunately. Didn't go to Punta Arenas but between the two towns there is a park where you can see King Penguins, only place outside of Antarctica you can see them.

thanks Komic.

how strenuous is the hiking - eg is it flat ground? slippy underfoot?  we're both fit and walk a fair bit, but at our age (early 70s) don't want to bite off more than we can chew.

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: September 27, 2023, 10:03:16 am »
thanks Komic.

how strenuous is the hiking - eg is it flat ground? slippy underfoot?  we're both fit and walk a fair bit, but at our age (early 70s) don't want to bite off more than we can chew.

Can't remember too much on the specifics but the paths aren't paved so its dealing with tree roots and stones. Slippiness is weather based probably, both walks are flatish as there are no summits but there will be ups and downs, dont think any scrambling is required. Check at the hotel if they think it is suitable as they are probably quite popular walks. Also, we needed a rented car to get to the trailheads as the public transport to them is poor.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: September 27, 2023, 01:22:04 pm »
Well Tenerife for next January has been scrapped due to family wedding ::)

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: September 27, 2023, 01:52:24 pm »
Booked Senegal for a week in the 1st week of November. Should be nice and warm and relaxing!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #772 on: September 27, 2023, 02:35:44 pm »
Can't remember too much on the specifics but the paths aren't paved so its dealing with tree roots and stones. Slippiness is weather based probably, both walks are flatish as there are no summits but there will be ups and downs, dont think any scrambling is required. Check at the hotel if they think it is suitable as they are probably quite popular walks. Also, we needed a rented car to get to the trailheads as the public transport to them is poor.
great to know.  our place in Ushuiai is suggesting a car rental, I wasn't sure why to be honest.  thanks again Komic!

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #773 on: September 27, 2023, 02:51:37 pm »
Well Tenerife for next January has been scrapped due to family wedding ::)

Who the fuck gets married in January?
Jurgen YNWA

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #774 on: September 27, 2023, 11:04:39 pm »
Off to Hurghada on Tuesday for a 9 night AI. Just the 37 degrees there at the moment!

I’ve heard rumours it’s better to exchange money over there than here - is that true?
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline NarutoReds

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #775 on: September 28, 2023, 02:50:41 pm »
Off to Hurghada on Tuesday for a 9 night AI. Just the 37 degrees there at the moment!

I’ve heard rumours it’s better to exchange money over there than here - is that true?
Which one is better - I couldn't answer that. But I always play it safe, change it on our soil earlier.

But I read it's really useful to have a "top-up" debit card (of course, I believe you know this more than me).

Some travel-friendly debit cards that waive a portion of the charges include Wise, ING, Citibank and Revolut.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: September 28, 2023, 03:10:56 pm »

I've never changed all my money here, the rates always tend to be better in the destination country. At most, I'll just change £50 in case of emergency and food/travel on the first day.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #777 on: September 28, 2023, 06:55:20 pm »
anyone been to Argentina recently?  we'll be there in a few weeks and the online advice about currency exchange, using credit cards, etc is driving me up the wall.  it's convoluted as hell ...

- different "official" exchange rates
- some ppl saying use only US$
- others saying local cash is OK
- paying in cash you get hit with a VAT-type charge (unless maybe you're a visitor and can prove it?)
- some ppl say send yourself a money transfer via Western Union that you'll get handed local pesos (I'm not sure what the advantage is?)
- others saying just use ATMs you'll be fine

..... jeeziz!

any advice folks?
I'm from Uruguay, so I go there pretty regularly, especially since it's gotten ridiculously cheap (compared to Uruguay) for us. My girlfriend just got back from Buenos Aires last week. She had no problems using cash in the local currency, or her international credit card, but maybe it's different for people outside the Mercosur, although I doubt it. Paying directly in dollars, either in cash or card, will probably be the worst idea, as the exchange rate will be really bad, and I don't know if you can actually do it in most places.

There's only one official exchange rate (that I'm aware of) and that's the Dolar Oficial, which is regulated by the national bank. There are several unofficial ones, but the one that everyone uses is the Dolar Blue. The Dolar Blue exchange rate is usually double the official one (it changes every day). 1 USD/365 pesos is the official exchange today, and the Blue Dollar is $773. So yeah, I would take dollars with me in cash, and exchange them for Blue Dollars, but be aware that you will be carrying a lot of paper, and Argentina isn't exactly the safest country in the world. So be aware if you go that route.

The way to exchange the Blue Dollar might seem a bit is a bit sketchy, especially for non-south Americans. You will have to find an "arbolito" or an unofficial exchange house, sometimes they are just regular businesses, that will change your dollars to pesos. Buenos Aires is literally filled with them, but I think most places will have them. Ask your hotel receptionist for the best exchange place near you, and Google the blue dollar exchange rate before you do it though, as they do try to take advantage of foreigners, especially from non-Spanish-speaking countries. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 07:00:27 pm by Lastrador »

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: September 28, 2023, 11:14:58 pm »
I'm from Uruguay, so I go there pretty regularly, especially since it's gotten ridiculously cheap (compared to Uruguay) for us. My girlfriend just got back from Buenos Aires last week. She had no problems using cash in the local currency, or her international credit card, but maybe it's different for people outside the Mercosur, although I doubt it. Paying directly in dollars, either in cash or card, will probably be the worst idea, as the exchange rate will be really bad, and I don't know if you can actually do it in most places.

There's only one official exchange rate (that I'm aware of) and that's the Dolar Oficial, which is regulated by the national bank. There are several unofficial ones, but the one that everyone uses is the Dolar Blue. The Dolar Blue exchange rate is usually double the official one (it changes every day). 1 USD/365 pesos is the official exchange today, and the Blue Dollar is $773. So yeah, I would take dollars with me in cash, and exchange them for Blue Dollars, but be aware that you will be carrying a lot of paper, and Argentina isn't exactly the safest country in the world. So be aware if you go that route.

The way to exchange the Blue Dollar might seem a bit is a bit sketchy, especially for non-south Americans. You will have to find an "arbolito" or an unofficial exchange house, sometimes they are just regular businesses, that will change your dollars to pesos. Buenos Aires is literally filled with them, but I think most places will have them. Ask your hotel receptionist for the best exchange place near you, and Google the blue dollar exchange rate before you do it though, as they do try to take advantage of foreigners, especially from non-Spanish-speaking countries.
great info - muchas gracias amigo!

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: September 28, 2023, 11:29:50 pm »
Stag do planning....

Looking like abroad for a weekend in March. Apart from the obvious Benidorm  ;D

Any suggestions

Germany is fucking great for stags. Cologne, Berlin, Munich, Hamburg . .  . take your pick!

Was in Majorca a couple of weeks ago for a stag and it was quality. A 4 hour boat trip on the Friday afternoon being the highlight. Full bar, Dj. It was class.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 11:33:25 pm by DangerScouse »

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: September 29, 2023, 04:27:07 am »
great info - muchas gracias amigo!

And also Adam on the previous page is there now so should have some top tips

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #781 on: September 29, 2023, 05:00:18 pm »
I'm booking the same resort as you this week. It looks ideal.

We had a week in Majorca end of May, but the weather was hit-and-miss.  I feel cheated so flexing the arl credit card for this. Fuck it :)

Fingers crossed its ok - looks it - only bad thing I think is the ocean  has a strong undercurrent so you cant go in it - looks like theres a couple of beach bars and restaurants within walking distance if the all inclusive gets a bit samey - usually does my head in after 2 days to be honest.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #782 on: October 1, 2023, 12:20:42 pm »
Who the fuck gets married in January?
Literally what I said. ;D

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #783 on: October 1, 2023, 07:03:33 pm »
I've been to a January wedding.  time was of the essence :)

miserable experience mind you, the church was freezing.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: October 2, 2023, 12:07:30 pm »
Fingers crossed its ok - looks it - only bad thing I think is the ocean  has a strong undercurrent so you cant go in it - looks like theres a couple of beach bars and restaurants within walking distance if the all inclusive gets a bit samey - usually does my head in after 2 days to be honest.

Nice one.  We are all booked.  Work hols are booked and Manchester Airport Meet & Greet parking is all sorted.  Fly out on 14th Nov for a week.  Just sorted the airport tax and VISA on the TUI 'Manage my booking'.

If by samey it's gonna be 7 consecutive days in the sun by the pool/beach with cocktails and stuff.  I'm all good. :)

Joking aside didn't realise there were some bits outside the hotel.   I knew about the sea situation and not too arsed.  The beach is still really nice by the looks of it.

Let us know how your trip goes mate and any tips will be appreciated.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: October 2, 2023, 01:38:29 pm »
And also Adam on the previous page is there now so should have some top tips

And now I'm back! Great but exhausting trip. Need another holiday :D

FAO SamLad...

We did a combination of dollars (hundred dollar bills) and spending on 'free overseas spending' cards such as Monzo and Starling.

First of all, the cash situation. Lastrador has neatly summarised it but here's a few other tidbits.

Don't change all your dollars on the first day. The 'black market rate', or Blue Dollar rate, will probably change when you're out there. Change a bit to get going and then change again when you start to run out. I think the Blue Dollar rate went from 720 to the dollar to 790 to the dollar in the two weeks we were there. Here's the current rate: https://dolarhoy.com/

We found that more 'reputable' cambios would give you close to the Blue Dollar rate but not quite. By this, I mean you won't have to venture into the less sulubrious parts of town to get a better rate (risking your safety) but can stay close to your hotel and get a slightly worse rate. A good compromise, I thought. If you're staying in Palermo Soho (where we stayed in Buenos Aires) then I'd recommend GIRARG Money Transfer). You can find them on Google Maps.

They prefer crisp hundred dollar bills so ask for these specifically when you change at your BdC in the UK.

Cash in pesos is accepted everywhere. Just beware that the cash you hold is devaluing every day hence why I recommend only changing a bit at a time. I think we did about 4 changes - in BA twice, in Mendoza and in El Calafate.

Speak to your hotel/Airbnb host about where to change. In Mendoza, our Airbnb host got someone to deliver the pesos to us. We did the exchange in her living room and I chatted to her and the fella about how they expect the country to eventually adopt the dollar. Some of the hotels are unwilling to talk about it though as it the dollar blue exchanges are technically illegal, I believe.

You'll probably get 1,000 peso notes which are worth about £1.20. Be prepared to count everything when doing an exchange. Take your time!

On paying by card...

The process is weird but easy once you get your head around it. The transaction will first go through at the 'official rate'. This is about 350 pesos to the dollar (which is then converted to pounds(!) and debited from your account, assuming you're from the UK)

A few days later (between 3-5 working days we found), you'll get a partial refund on your card where the transaction will be converted at the 'tourist rate'. This is slightly worse than the dollar rate - https://www.ambito.com/contenidos/dolar.html (look for dollar turista - it's 642 to the dollar at the moment)

In essence, the onus is on MasterCard/Visa to know that you're a non-Argentinian and they will then process the refund to bring you up to the Tourist Rate. You don't have to do anything - it's all automatic.

After the initial charge and the partial refund, you'll pay the equivalent of 642 to the dollar when you spend on your card. Remember, this will then be converted to pounds!

We found that we were getting close to 50% refunds on card purchases. This is all well and good but it means that everything you purchase on card will cost you twice as much as it should upon the initial purchase. If you have the cashflow for this, it isn't a problem, but if your bank balance is limited, it means you'll be waiting keenly for those refunds to flow back in.

We spent freely on cards - I'd say they're slightly less as widely as accepted in Argentina as they are in the UK but still nearly eveywhere. It also meant we didn't have to carry too much cash with us.

If you have any more questions on this or anything else, just give me a shout.

Oh, and here's a few photos of our trip:

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: October 2, 2023, 03:19:49 pm »
^ wow, it's an amazing country, did you get loads of good wine and beef?

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: October 2, 2023, 04:26:22 pm »
^ wow, it's an amazing country, did you get loads of good wine and beef?

Yeah, I got my fill! I enjoyed the ojo de bife (rib eye), bife de chorizo (entrecôte) and entraña (skirt). We also spent a few days in Mendoza and tried interesting stuff in addition to the Malbec!

My favourite food in the country though was the Patagonian lamb. They splay it over a charcoal fire and the mixture of the charred exterior and juicy interior was just incredible. I seldom eat the same dish twice when on holiday but made an exception for this.

There's a photo below but I've spoilered it as I'm aware some might find a picture of lamb carcass cooking over a fire a bit too much.

Spoiler

[close]

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #788 on: October 2, 2023, 04:31:17 pm »
And now I'm back! Great but exhausting trip. Need another holiday :D

Hi adam:  thanks for the great reply - lots of detail there, really appreciate you taking the time.  I'll digest it and might come back with other questions.

but one quick question - from what I've read, the VAT shouldn't apply to me coz I don't live in Argentina, as long as I pay the hotel via credit card. is that correct?  did you encounter any issues with it? 
OR do you get hit with the full amount of the hotel charge initially, with refund later?

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: October 2, 2023, 04:36:25 pm »
Hi adam:  thanks for the great reply - lots of detail there, really appreciate you taking the time.  I'll digest it and might come back with other questions.

but one quick question - from what I've read, the VAT shouldn't apply to me coz I don't live in Argentina, as long as I pay the hotel via credit card. is that correct?  did you encounter any issues with it? 
OR do you get hit with the full amount of the hotel charge initially, with refund later?

No probs.

All the hotels billed me without the VAT as they knew I was a foreigner.

I believe if you book via a third party website (e.g. hotels.com) they also assume you're a foreigner and you will only be billed the VAT if you arrive and are an Argentine national.

Some of my receipts had a footer saying I'd be billed the VAT if I was an Argentine national.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: October 2, 2023, 04:37:47 pm »
No probs.

All the hotels billed me without the VAT as they knew I was a foreigner.

I believe if you book via a third party website (e.g. hotels.com) they also assume you're a foreigner and you will only be billed the VAT if you arrive and are an Argentine national.

Some of my receipts had a footer saying I'd be billed the VAT if I was an Argentine national.

gracias amigo  :)

edit: those pics are fantastic.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #791 on: October 3, 2023, 09:02:44 am »
Went to Cala Galdana in Menorca at the end of August, lovely little place If you have a young family. Main beach is nice but a couple of beautiful little cove beaches either side of Cala Galdana that are about a 30-45 minute walk.

Pretty close to Ciutadella as well which I preferred over Mahon. Nice little town to walk round.

Offline NarutoReds

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: October 3, 2023, 11:07:35 am »
I am going to Seoul this November. Hahahhahaah!!! Caaannntttt wait for it. It's going to be my first time there in my whole life.  ;D  ;D

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: October 3, 2023, 01:53:26 pm »
I am going to Seoul this November. Hahahhahaah!!! Caaannntttt wait for it. It's going to be my first time there in my whole life.  ;D  ;D

huge city.  huge.  interesting place.

one small point - I was a bit surprised how little English is available there.  very very few signs, and asking for help with directions is tough.  I'd recommend putting google Translate on your phone.

to be clear:
I'm not saying "everyone should speak English" but compared to other large Asian cities - eg Bangkok, Singapore, Vientiane - it is much less available.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: October 3, 2023, 03:10:43 pm »
Enjoy, Naruto. Sure it'll be a great trip!

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #795 on: October 3, 2023, 09:46:15 pm »
Off to Copenhagen a week on Sunday for a few nights. Any recommendations? Decent places for a good beer?
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline NarutoReds

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: October 4, 2023, 08:03:18 am »
huge city.  huge.  interesting place.
one small point - I was a bit surprised how little English is available there.  very very few signs, and asking for help with directions is tough.  I'd recommend putting google Translate on your phone.
to be clear:
I'm not saying "everyone should speak English" but compared to other large Asian cities - eg Bangkok, Singapore, Vientiane - it is much less available.
Enjoy, Naruto. Sure it'll be a great trip!
Thank you very much for the wish SamLad, .adam . Really appreciate that. I'm really going to enjoy this trip.

My plan is going to be...

- Bukchon Hanok Village

- Nami Island

- Garden of Morning Calm, Gyeonggi-do

- Seoul Tower

- Myeongdong Shopping Street

============

I only have been to Tokyo and Osaka around that region.

I have no idea on how "different" Seoul would be. But aaahhh just let's try it won't ya? Hahahhaha!!!  ;D  ;D

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #797 on: October 4, 2023, 02:16:31 pm »
Off to Copenhagen a week on Sunday for a few nights. Any recommendations? Decent places for a good beer?

I quite like Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen. Remember going to a food court near there too.

Walking round the city centre there were loads of restaurants, bars and interesting things to see.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: October 9, 2023, 04:24:16 pm »
Is it better to take euros or pay on my card in Dublin for the day?

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #799 on: October 10, 2023, 10:30:43 am »
Is it better to take euros or pay on my card in Dublin for the day?
Makes no odds, you're gonna get hit on the exchange rate either way.
It's nice to have some euros for taxis, but I wouldn't be carrying around a lot of cash in Dublin these days. Pay for all food and drink with your card I'd say.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75