Author Topic: Holidays 2023 - What's your plans?  (Read 45293 times)

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Holidays 2023 - What's your plans?
« Reply #600 on: July 17, 2023, 11:27:27 pm »
Off to Stockholm in early September…anyone got any must does (other than I’ll need to sell some organs to afford a beer)?
if it is the first weekend in september, there is s derby on the sunday - Hammarby playing AIK- which should be very tasty. Very different to current Premier league
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Lfc19ynwa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: July 18, 2023, 04:29:13 am »
Rhi said last week I think it was that it's far too busy - I'd like to go, but will make sure it's when its not rammed, September might be OK as the kids are all back at school, so if they've timed it right, it could be in the lull between that and the upturn as those without kids start going away.

We went in October last year on a day trip from Naxos and it was rammed in Oai where the well photographed 3 blue domes are. The streets are very very narrow and it was so overcrowded which is mainly due to the huge cruise ships that visit the island.

I would recommend going to another island and taking a day trip to Santorini rather than spending the week or so there & Naxos is a pretty decent place , although the boat trip across can get a bit choppy so not brilliant if you suffer from seasickness

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #602 on: July 18, 2023, 07:20:53 am »
Sofia, Bulgaria in August; Belfast in October.

Eyyy, you'll like Sofia! I went there for work in February

It's very very cheap and very very friendly. And there's something beautiful about seeing mountains like they have there from a city centre

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: July 18, 2023, 07:49:41 am »
Off to Porto at the start of September for a few nights and then to Split at the end of September.

I say Split we are actually staying in Trogir (about 25km from Split). If anyone has any recommendations of things to do in and around Split it would be greatly appreciated.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: July 25, 2023, 02:15:14 pm »
someone posted about Phuket recently.  I just came across this about the place being swamped with Russians, which is pissing off the Thais.

[note: this is paywalled, I've just quoted the first few paras]

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/not-thailand-anymore-russians-are-flocking-to-this-resort-island-but-not-all-is-well/article_12f71cd3-847f-5a31-8825-aaaa5c834d4c.html?li_source=LI&li_medium=world

PHUKET, Thailand—It is no wonder that Russians facing travel restrictions to most of the rest of the world are flocking to Thailand. With its fine white sands, stunning landscapes and rich culture, “the land of a thousand smiles” has much to offer paradise seekers, never mind those fleeing a tightening autocracy, economic downturn and war.

The Thai island of Phuket expects to welcome one million Russians this year — the biggest group of foreign visitors by far — according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand. Some are escaping the dim of winter. Some are dodging the draft. Others are buying local property as a ticket to a new life.

But the influx of Russians, since the Thai foreign minister visited Moscow and direct flights resumed in October, is a conundrum for Phuket, which depends on tourism for 90 per cent of its economy and is still struggling to recover after the deadly 2004 tsunami and COVID-19 travel bans. Although many Russian visitors are just terrified young men, there are tensions simmering between visiting Russians and other residents.

“Russians in Phuket are known for their bad behaviour,” Stefan Zich, manager of a large hotel off the coast of Phuket, told the Star. Drunkenness, debauchery, violence and traffic accidents are rife in the “Russian-occupied” zones of the island, he alleged.

Nurses at the hospital in Patong, a popular Russian destination on the island, said they are seeing increasing numbers of people suffering from alcohol poisoning and involved in traffic accidents. Russians top the list of arrests in Phuket for crimes including theft, recklessness causing death and drug smuggling, according to provincial police reports in local media.

“My family and I are moving out of Phuket after five years, because we see and hear only Russians,” said one man on a Phuket news site. “Phuket is not Thailand anymore, but Russian territory,” he said.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #605 on: July 25, 2023, 02:37:22 pm »
^

Russians abroad are fucking horrible rude bastards
Jurgen YNWA

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: July 25, 2023, 03:23:05 pm »
^

Wanted to say the same Rob but was scared I'd get branded something that ends in either "ic" or "ist"  :(

Fuck em anyway

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #607 on: July 25, 2023, 03:58:57 pm »
^

Yep.  Been around them in Thailand and India. Most of them look like they'd knife you if you fucking smiled at them.  Feral bastards.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: July 25, 2023, 04:36:00 pm »
Yep.  Been around them in Thailand and India. Most of them look like they'd knife you if you fucking smiled at them.  Feral bastards.

"They've" no idea how to relax.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #609 on: July 25, 2023, 04:36:57 pm »
Meant to be going to Rhodes next week  ???

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: July 25, 2023, 04:52:28 pm »
Meant to be going to Rhodes next week  ???

Cancel it and see if you can get it cheaper in the fire sale
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #611 on: July 25, 2023, 04:56:01 pm »
Wanted to say the same Rob but was scared I'd get branded something that ends in either "ic" or "ist"  :(

Fuck em anyway

Fuck anyone who says it, anyone who has been abroad and had to encounter them will say the same, horrible, snarly, arrogant, rude fuckers.

I've met loads of people home and abroad from the likes of Poland, Ukraine, Lithuania, Czech Republic etc all they've in the main been lovely. I worked with a Russian, she was nice, but supported that maniac and his policies
Jurgen YNWA

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: July 25, 2023, 05:02:46 pm »
Cancel it and see if you can get it cheaper in the fire sale

:lmao

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: July 25, 2023, 05:47:19 pm »
Came across some Russians in Antalya a few years ago, they seem to love that place. Agree that they are extremely rude and inconsiderate, just jumping into lines when other people are queuing up, playing loud music and shouting on balconies late at night. Some Germans are also the same.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: July 25, 2023, 06:34:01 pm »
When's the best time for travel abroad - December or January and somewhere within 6 hour flight as well.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: July 25, 2023, 06:35:19 pm »
I'm off to Athens next week (for work, not pleasure). Absolutely dreading the heat.  ;D

That said, I'm hoping to have at least half a day free, plus evenings, so if anyone can recommend best thing to do in that time, I'm all ears. I obviously want to do the Acropolis but I'm assuming there will be huge queues and can't really buy a ticket in advance.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: July 25, 2023, 07:00:53 pm »
Came across some Russians in Antalya a few years ago, they seem to love that place. Agree that they are extremely rude and inconsiderate, just jumping into lines when other people are queuing up, playing loud music and shouting on balconies late at night. Some Germans are also the same.

As are Brits tbf.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: July 25, 2023, 07:02:19 pm »
I'm off to Athens next week (for work, not pleasure). Absolutely dreading the heat.  ;D

That said, I'm hoping to have at least half a day free, plus evenings, so if anyone can recommend best thing to do in that time, I'm all ears. I obviously want to do the Acropolis but I'm assuming there will be huge queues and can't really buy a ticket in advance.

Check to see what Anthony Bourdain did, food & drink.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #618 on: July 25, 2023, 07:19:54 pm »

Very much so. I used to do a lot of diving in the Red Sea and they took over Sharm and Hurghada back then but it seems Turkey is their new fave. (Erdogan and Putin, both animals)

Going in a few weeks and that’s the only part I’m not looking forward to. This hotel seems to have a lack of Russian reviews though so hoping it’s not promoted to them.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: July 25, 2023, 10:29:54 pm »
When's the best time for travel abroad - December or January and somewhere within 6 hour flight as well.

Canaries are great.Since 2008, we've done Tenerife every January/Feb and its great, not packed, no knobheads, older people visiting, weather usually dead good. You have the choice of islands too. We've had to do school holidays since the eldest went into secondary school, but its still OK. The last week in December before christmas can be really cheap, then it goes expensive for Xmas, weather is usually great then too

This was taken about 25th January around about 7 years ago

And this was 21st Feb this year

« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 10:31:29 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline apassant77

• Kopite
« Reply #620 on: July 25, 2023, 11:25:33 pm »
Any recommendations for places to eat in Bruges? Will have teenager with us so nothing too fussy/fancy.

Cheers

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: July 26, 2023, 08:23:30 am »
Canaries are great.Since 2008, we've done Tenerife every January/Feb and its great, not packed, no knobheads, older people visiting, weather usually dead good. You have the choice of islands too. We've had to do school holidays since the eldest went into secondary school, but its still OK. The last week in December before christmas can be really cheap, then it goes expensive for Xmas, weather is usually great then too

This was taken about 25th January around about 7 years ago

And this was 21st Feb this year

Quality pics! Yeah saw Lanzarote is a good place to go in Jan? Thinking of second week in Jan at the moment. Not too far either which is good.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #622 on: July 26, 2023, 08:32:47 am »
I am going to London for the second time in my whole life, and I do not know where and what to do in London this time.

Maybe going to look around Camden Town, I guess.

What about Hampstead Heath, anyone here has been there? Is it nice and beautiful? Insta-worthy images, i mean.

My mate also recommend me Harry Potter Guided Walking Tour, stuffs like that. I have no idea how is it.

I love to take pictures, to be honest. Scenery, architectural, buildings and arts.

Anyone can recommend me something rare but touristy things in the middle of London? Please, not stuffs like one-night stand in London or something.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: July 26, 2023, 09:11:40 am »
Quality pics! Yeah saw Lanzarote is a good place to go in Jan? Thinking of second week in Jan at the moment. Not too far either which is good.

Tenerife is a better choice, as its the warmest of the islands at that time of the year, it's a few degrees warmer than Lanzarote which can get very cool of a night, it'll still be 20/21c but I believe it can drop to 12 or 13c of a night. I know I'm a bit of a nutjob, but I can always wear shorts and a t-shirt of a night on Tenerife, it's usually 23/24c of a day and about 17/18 of a night.

Brother in law does Gran Canaria for Xmas and it's always hot there.
Jurgen YNWA

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: July 26, 2023, 10:51:18 am »
I am going to London for the second time in my whole life, and I do not know where and what to do in London this time.

What about Hampstead Heath, anyone here has been there? Is it nice and beautiful? Insta-worthy images, i mean.

My mate also recommend me Harry Potter Guided Walking Tour, stuffs like that. I have no idea how is it.

I love to take pictures, to be honest. Scenery, architectural, buildings and arts.

Anyone can recommend me something rare but touristy things in the middle of London? Please, not stuffs like one-night stand in London or something.

Greenwich Park would be a good one to visit, it's free unless you want to visit the planetarium.  It's where 'Greenwich Mean Time' or GMT gets its name from on world clocks.

It's a world heritage site with loads of great photo opportunites, buildings, scenery and if I remember correctly there were quite a few Olympic events held there in 2012.

It's huge though so allow a full day 👍

Other than that there's loads to do and see with lots of iconic buildings and spaces whose names are recognisable around the world. 

Theatres, cathedrals, bridges, museums even the world renowned hotels like the Savoy.

Have a great time wherever you get to.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #625 on: July 26, 2023, 01:43:52 pm »

have you tried the app called GPS My City?  it has all kinds of good walking tours, describing what sites of interest you'll see and a bit of their history.  you can download the tour to your phone so don't need to chew up tons of data if you're restricted in that.

I've used it in a few places and found it very useful.  not tried it for London mind you.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: July 26, 2023, 04:00:19 pm »
Tenerife is a better choice, as its the warmest of the islands at that time of the year, it's a few degrees warmer than Lanzarote which can get very cool of a night, it'll still be 20/21c but I believe it can drop to 12 or 13c of a night. I know I'm a bit of a nutjob, but I can always wear shorts and a t-shirt of a night on Tenerife, it's usually 23/24c of a day and about 17/18 of a night.

Brother in law does Gran Canaria for Xmas and it's always hot there.
Just been looking at Hard Rock hotel in Tenerife. Have you stayed or been there?

Just going to check out Gran Canaria also.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: July 26, 2023, 04:11:16 pm »
Just been looking at Hard Rock hotel in Tenerife. Have you stayed or been there?

Just going to check out Gran Canaria also.

Not stayed in it, but have had a drink in the bar, supposed to be lovely and they have a bit of a private beach across the road. Its in Playa Paraiso which is a small quiet place, but its about 15/20 mins on the bus to Fanabe/Americas etc and about 15 Euros in a taxi.  The Bahia Principe in Paraiso is bloody lovely, mate of mine stayed there years ago, we were supposed to in 2021 but it got cancelled due to my eldest not having had his 2nd jab, we were gutted.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: July 26, 2023, 04:40:38 pm »
Not stayed in it, but have had a drink in the bar, supposed to be lovely and they have a bit of a private beach across the road. Its in Playa Paraiso which is a small quiet place, but its about 15/20 mins on the bus to Fanabe/Americas etc and about 15 Euros in a taxi.  The Bahia Principe in Paraiso is bloody lovely, mate of mine stayed there years ago, we were supposed to in 2021 but it got cancelled due to my eldest not having had his 2nd jab, we were gutted.
Yeah was checking reviews of Hard Rock & it looks good. Never done all inclusive but might try it this time around. Depends if there's much to do / see in January around Tenerife?

Will check out that other place. Trying to find good rated hotels in Tenerife.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: July 26, 2023, 04:51:08 pm »
Yeah was checking reviews of Hard Rock & it looks good. Never done all inclusive but might try it this time around. Depends if there's much to do / see in January around Tenerife?

Will check out that other place. Trying to find good rated hotels in Tenerife.

Oh yeah everywhere is open, Tenerife is very popular with the no kids generation, the flights will be full and there's loads going on.

We used to stay in Callao Salvaje when the kids were young, we knew the staff at the hotel and there was a big group of us used to meet up, but its too quiet now. We were going to go back next year but it's too expensive for what it is.  We instead started doing all inclusive at the Landmar Costa Los Gigantes in Puerto de Santiago, been there about 4 times now, lovely place and loads of space but we got bored as fuck with the food, so we'd eat out of a night.

We're staying at the GF Isabel in Fanabe next Feb, its looks bloody gorgeous and is close to Siam Park, Fanabe, Torviscas and Puerto Colon, so there are loads of places to eat and drink. There's a restaurant near the beach that does a 3 course for £12, we're gonna batter that ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: July 26, 2023, 05:33:56 pm »
Oh yeah everywhere is open, Tenerife is very popular with the no kids generation, the flights will be full and there's loads going on.

We used to stay in Callao Salvaje when the kids were young, we knew the staff at the hotel and there was a big group of us used to meet up, but its too quiet now. We were going to go back next year but it's too expensive for what it is.  We instead started doing all inclusive at the Landmar Costa Los Gigantes in Puerto de Santiago, been there about 4 times now, lovely place and loads of space but we got bored as fuck with the food, so we'd eat out of a night.

We're staying at the GF Isabel in Fanabe next Feb, its looks bloody gorgeous and is close to Siam Park, Fanabe, Torviscas and Puerto Colon, so there are loads of places to eat and drink. There's a restaurant near the beach that does a 3 course for £12, we're gonna batter that ;D
Ah nice. Hopefully there's direct flight from Heathrow. Shouldn't be more than a few hours.

Think as it's our first holiday as a 3 then maybe just choose a hotel that has lots to do and has variety in food etc so we can relax and not get bored but have the option to go out if needs be.

So bloody easy to put weight on when on holiday. I'd avoid that 3 for £12 haha.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: July 26, 2023, 06:33:31 pm »
Ah nice. Hopefully there's direct flight from Heathrow. Shouldn't be more than a few hours.

Think as it's our first holiday as a 3 then maybe just choose a hotel that has lots to do and has variety in food etc so we can relax and not get bored but have the option to go out if needs be.

So bloody easy to put weight on when on holiday. I'd avoid that 3 for £12 haha.

2 stone on honeymoon in Orlando is my record ;D

Jurgen YNWA

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: July 26, 2023, 06:38:16 pm »
2 stone on honeymoon in Orlando is my record ;D.
on the honeymoon?  start as you mean to go on, as they say :)

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: July 26, 2023, 06:39:31 pm »
Ohh yeah, I went to Lanzarote a few year ago the 3rd week in December, absolutely freezing here then off the plane 4 hours later a deep blue sky and sunshine, the temp was fabulous, coldest day 21 and warmest day 27 degrees.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: July 26, 2023, 06:49:21 pm »
on the honeymoon?  start as you mean to go on, as they say :)

We were really close to the Ponderosa, £2 for all you can eat breakfast, £5 for all you can eat plus a Steak, £7 for all you could eat Chinese buffet at the restaurant down the road, and £2 for all you can eat pizza at CiCis, starters that were like mains, 14oz Burgers and huge desserts at the Hard Rock, I had no chance.

We went to Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville, this is what the Volcano Nachos STARTER looks like (no, this not me in the photo). Me and the wife shared them, I saw Americans ordering them for one person

Ohh yeah, I went to Lanzarote a few year ago the 3rd week in December, absolutely freezing here then off the plane 4 hours later a deep blue sky and sunshine, the temp was fabulous, coldest day 21 and warmest day 27 degrees.

Been to Puerta Del Carmen twice loved it there
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 06:57:41 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: July 26, 2023, 07:46:57 pm »
2 stone on honeymoon in Orlando is my record ;D

Shoulda been 3 stone but rumour has it that ye lost a stone chasing your Bride round the bedroom for hours every night. :D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: July 26, 2023, 07:48:56 pm »

Been to Puerta Del Carmen twice loved it there
That's the very place we were Rob and we loved it there.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #637 on: July 26, 2023, 07:58:47 pm »
Shoulda been 3 stone but rumour has it that ye lost a stone chasing your Bride round the bedroom for hours every night. :D

My lad was born 9 months later ;D

That's the very place we were Rob and we loved it there.

Its great isn't it mate? My stepdad used to go every November and did until about 5 years ago, he treated us the first time back in 2009 when the eldest was about 16 months and then went back in 2018 with the 2 kids. They main promenade had changed so much, reduced to a one lane one way street, the cycling and walking paths added, loved that there were so many restaurants to choose from and loads of great bars.
Jurgen YNWA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: July 26, 2023, 08:39:38 pm »
My lad was born 9 months later ;D

Its great isn't it mate? My stepdad used to go every November and did until about 5 years ago, he treated us the first time back in 2009 when the eldest was about 16 months and then went back in 2018 with the 2 kids. They main promenade had changed so much, reduced to a one lane one way street, the cycling and walking paths added, loved that there were so many restaurants to choose from and loads of great bars.
My dream is to buy a place there and live there the 3 or 4 months when it's freezing here. I would never have to suffer Winters again. :D

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: July 26, 2023, 08:45:28 pm »
My dream is to buy a place there and live there the 3 or 4 months when it's freezing here. I would never have to suffer Winters again. :D

Was mine too, but Tenerife. I've said to the missus I'll be pissing off for 6 to 8 weeks, up to her if she comes. Deffo go for it if you can

Where we used to stay on Tenerife, there were loads who used to stay there for 3 months from January to April, they loved it. Nipped in there last Feb and a Dane I know called Ken was there, hadn't seen him for a few years, his wife was with him, his kids had been for two weeks and gone home, he loved it
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 08:47:19 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA