Author Topic: Labour Thread  (Read 180420 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: Labour Thread
« Reply #640 on: November 22, 2022, 07:25:06 pm »
Is it taught in all schools though? We've just established it might not be.

Though I think I have misunderstood the discussion slightly - my fault for not jumping in without paying full attention.

I was assuming we were talking about politics being taught as a mandatory subject, rather than an optional one.
In England, yes.  It’s literally on the national curriculum for citizenship which I posted above.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #641 on: November 22, 2022, 07:25:50 pm »
In England, yes.  It’s literally on the national curriculum for citizenship which I posted above.

Yes, my point was I don't think was confirmed we were actually talking about England...  ;)

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #642 on: November 22, 2022, 07:26:21 pm »

Though I think I have misunderstood the discussion slightly - my fault for not jumping in without paying full attention.

I was assuming we were talking about politics being taught as a mandatory subject, rather than an optional one.

I don't think anyone claimed it was "mandatory". Cali said it was forbidden and seemed to know a sinister reason (as yet undisclosed) of why this was so.

That seemed like bollocks to me.

EDIT: Ach, Tepid now says it is "mandatory", so it's also me who's not fully concentrating. But it does deepen the mystery of why Cali's kid somehow escaped the tuition. Perhaps she went to Eton or Harrow or another one of the posh schools that are laws to themselves?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 07:29:37 pm by Yorkykopite »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: November 22, 2022, 07:30:43 pm »
EDIT: Ach, Tepid now says it is "mandatory", so it's also me who's not fully concentrating. But it does deepen the mystery of why Cali's kid somehow escaped the tuition. Perhaps she went to Eton or Harrow or another one of the posh schools that are laws to themselves?

Politics not being taught at Eton might explain the quality of politicians we end up with in power.  ;D

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #644 on: November 22, 2022, 07:32:52 pm »
Politics not being taught at Eton might explain the quality of politicians we end up with in power.  ;D

There are several possible explanations including a very limited gene pool.

(Apologies in advance if that comment causes offence to the Toffs)
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #645 on: November 22, 2022, 07:33:59 pm »

But don’t they all ‘read’ PP&E at Oxbridge? ;D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: November 22, 2022, 07:34:42 pm »
Pretty sure they do teach politics there too… (I think I remember them saying that last time I visited) but maybe they might consider stopping?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #647 on: November 22, 2022, 07:41:43 pm »
Cali is a male seahorse.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #648 on: November 22, 2022, 07:53:59 pm »
What a nasty little comment toward Cali's daughter. After misgendering Cali earlier.

Crikey.
'Crikey', indeed. To 'misgender', implies a deliberate act. Cali is a new member, and it does not state in Cali's profile his gender. Either your comment is a wilful attempt to misrepresent the facts, or you are so desperate to virtual signal, you are incapable of applying common sense.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #649 on: November 22, 2022, 07:55:30 pm »
I don't think misgendering on a forum with anonymous and ambiguous usernames is a crime. The other part... yeah seems a bit uncalled for.

Has Cali confirmed they are based in England? They might be on the Scottish curriculum for example (I don't know if politics is taught as a mandatory suvject in Scotland, it was when I was there in early 2000s).
I don't disagree with that. But WRB should call out that instead of inventing something.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #650 on: November 22, 2022, 08:00:18 pm »
Starmer confirms Labour would not take UK back into single market or customs union

Well obviously, he'll flow with whatever the tabloids and gammons want

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #651 on: November 22, 2022, 08:29:10 pm »
Well obviously, he'll flow with whatever the tabloids and gammons want

Don’t know what’s to be taken at face value or to be ‘interpreted’ any more.

But I think it’s likely Starmer’s become slightly obsessive about avoiding a) traps set by Tories and b) specifically giving ammunition to the Brexiteers.

Maybe he has changed his lifelong support for the E.U. But I think it’s more likely that he’s following the above strategies, however much it simultaneously gives ammunition to those who see him as Blair mk.2.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: November 22, 2022, 08:39:11 pm »
Don’t know what’s to be taken at face value or to be ‘interpreted’ any more.

But I think it’s likely Starmer’s become slightly obsessive about avoiding a) traps set by Tories and b) specifically giving ammunition to the Brexiteers.

Maybe he has changed his lifelong support for the E.U. But I think it’s more likely that he’s following the above strategies, however much it simultaneously gives ammunition to those who see him as Blair mk.2.
It’s simple, the tories will what to make this a rerun of the EU referendum …he won’t let them.

W

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #653 on: November 22, 2022, 08:42:26 pm »
No, I think he genuinely believes he can make Brexit work. No traps, just what I reckon he actually believes in and him bring honest

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: November 22, 2022, 08:53:56 pm »
W

Offline Cali

• Main Stander
« Reply #655 on: November 22, 2022, 09:02:27 pm »
If your daughter missed out it probably means she wasn't interested and chose something else, failed to realise that what she was being taught, or she didn't do her A Levels.

But sly that like she’s quite clued on politics tbf much more than I was at her age and she’s just started her A levels but the point still stands she wasn’t taught politics in secondary school it’s not compulsory but it should be

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: November 22, 2022, 09:03:23 pm »
Pete Willsman has been expelled from the Labour Party.

What took them so long?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/veteran-labour-activist-pete-willsman-expelled-over-antisemitism-israel_uk_637d0d09e4b0e771d9590ee0

Ah, the classic "Jews are to blame" argument. It's so insulting to the genuine haters who don't need the Israeli embassy to whip them into anti-semitism.

Goodbye Peter.

Offline Cali

• Main Stander
« Reply #657 on: November 22, 2022, 09:03:47 pm »
I don't think misgendering on a forum with anonymous and ambiguous usernames is a crime. The other part... yeah seems a bit uncalled for.

Has Cali confirmed they are based in England? They might be on the Scottish curriculum for example (I don't know if politics is taught as a mandatory suvject in Scotland, it was when I was there in early 2000s).

No England mate Liverpool actually it’s not taught as a compulsory subject

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #658 on: November 22, 2022, 09:05:37 pm »
But sly that like she’s quite clued on politics tbf much more than I was at her age and she’s just started her A levels but the point still stands she wasn’t taught politics in secondary school it’s not compulsory but it should be

Apparently it is compulsory - at least in English state schools. But at least we can now agree that politics is not forbidden in schools.

Offline Cali

• Main Stander
« Reply #659 on: November 22, 2022, 09:05:48 pm »
His earlier comment also made me assume Cali was a she so cry me a river for misgendering him too, or else, you know, grow up. This used to be called a simple mistake. Unless someone has been deliberately ignoring pronouns that were specifically requested this is a nonsense.

The specific comment was

As I say - throwing around terms like misgendering, grow up.

And a comment about a student possibly not being engaged with every subject, or perhaps choosing different studies isn't exactly nasty.

It was an answer to an anecdotal response.

A bit sexist to think a nan can’t be busy and stressed out with a new baby I’m doing the night feeds all the housework and looking after three other kids as well as the baby whilst my gf recovers 👍

Offline Cali

• Main Stander
« Reply #660 on: November 22, 2022, 09:06:42 pm »
Apparently it is compulsory - at least in English state schools. But at least we can now agree that politics is not forbidden in schools.

It really isn’t tho at least up until last year and actually my 11yo lad has just started high school he doesn’t do it either

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: November 22, 2022, 09:07:04 pm »
If you live in England it is compulsory and has been for some time
W

Offline Cali

• Main Stander
« Reply #662 on: November 22, 2022, 09:07:50 pm »

I can 100% guarantee you it’s not taught in all schools and it’s not compulsory

Offline Cali

• Main Stander
« Reply #663 on: November 22, 2022, 09:09:36 pm »
If you live in England it is compulsory and has been for some time

Ok mate she’s literally just finished high school in may she never did it it was never even an option my lad isn’t doing it either he’s in y7

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #664 on: November 22, 2022, 09:13:06 pm »
It’s simple, the tories will what to make this a rerun of the EU referendum …he won’t let them.
Of course. it's ok saying Starmer should be saying we have to rejoin the SM but then you have to answer more questions. will you accept FOM. then get attacked for saying no and attacked for saying yes. then you have to answer how it  will happen. another referendum. that will go down well. take us back in without another referendum. that will go down just as bad. the people decided to leave only the people should decide to re-join.
We need to re-join the EU but asking for it now will most likely make it harder.

@David__Osland
Leaving the European Union has completely destroyed the Conservative Party. If that doesn't qualify as a concrete Brexit benefit, what does?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: November 22, 2022, 09:13:34 pm »
Ok mate she’s literally just finished high school in may she never did it it was never even an option my lad isn’t doing it either he’s in y7
I am the curriculum lead for a large secondary school. I am in charge of curriculum planning, integrity, compliance and sequencing.

It is literally my job to know this and check it is happening.  It is taught as part of citizenship

You can see the national curriculum for it here. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/908347/SECONDARY_national_curriculum_-_Citizenship.pdf

It is usually built into the pastoral curriculum with some schools offering a GCSE  in it.

Your kids school? They may not teach it very well or very memorably, but schools that follow the national curriculum are legally obliged to cover it.
W

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #666 on: November 22, 2022, 09:14:14 pm »

But you do now agree that politics isn't actually banned in state schools, as you said it was?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #667 on: November 22, 2022, 09:15:07 pm »
But you do now agree that politics isn't actually banned in state schools, as you said it was?

Banning without banning… it’s educating Everton
W

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #668 on: November 22, 2022, 09:16:24 pm »
I am the curriculum lead for a large secondary school. I am in charge of curriculum planning, integrity, compliance and sequencing.

It is literally my job to know this and check it is happening.  It is taught as part of citizenship

You can see the national curriculum for it here. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/908347/SECONDARY_national_curriculum_-_Citizenship.pdf

It is usually built into the pastoral curriculum with some schools offering a GCSE  in it.

Your kids school? They may not teach it very well or very memorably, but schools that follow the national curriculum are legally obliged to cover it.

To be fair that’s quite an impressive syllabus says the 70 year old me.

Not sure what my 14 year old me would have said though. ;D

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #669 on: November 22, 2022, 09:20:42 pm »
Banning without banning… it’s educating Everton

I'm sorry Tepid. I believed you for a while. But Cali's at the coal face. He knows. There is no politics being taught in his kids' school.

Or probably any other school.

Now I need to know why?

Offline Cali

• Main Stander
« Reply #670 on: November 22, 2022, 09:38:20 pm »

Ok how many hours a week is politics taught and not as small part of a subject but on its own

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #671 on: November 22, 2022, 09:41:22 pm »
Ok how many hours a week is politics taught and not as small part of a subject but on its own
It’s taught as part of citizenship. 

You can read the extent yourself.  You said it wasn’t taught. It is. Is it a major subject? Christ no.

Much more important to teach kids to read, write, be scientists, artists performers to be honest.
W

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: November 22, 2022, 09:44:05 pm »

Jeez Cali. I was with you on the "Politics is Banned from All Schools. There's a Reason for This!"

Yeah, come on, this is '1984' and Total Thought Control we're talking about!

But you keep slipping and conceding ground. I'm not sure I can get behind "yeah but how many hours a week?" It just doesn't make me angry like the Total and Sinister Ban did.

Offline Cali

• Main Stander
« Reply #673 on: November 22, 2022, 10:00:56 pm »
Jeez Cali. I was with you on the "Politics is Banned from All Schools. There's a Reason for This!"

Yeah, come on, this is '1984' and Total Thought Control we're talking about!

But you keep slipping and conceding ground. I'm not sure I can get behind "yeah but how many hours a week?" It just doesn't make me angry like the Total and Sinister Ban did.

What’s your problem mate you seem very condescending there’s no need for it at all

Offline Cali

• Main Stander
« Reply #674 on: November 22, 2022, 10:02:24 pm »
It’s taught as part of citizenship. 

You can read the extent yourself.  You said it wasn’t taught. It is. Is it a major subject? Christ no.

Much more important to teach kids to read, write, be scientists, artists performers to be honest.

So how many hours then and I’ve just spoken to my daughter she never did citizenship her made did at another school tho while we’re at it economics should be taught as well they could replace something completely pointless and false like RE

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: November 22, 2022, 10:04:12 pm »
What’s your problem mate you seem very condescending there’s no need for it at all

Not condescending at all mate. You just keep on shifting the goalposts.

PS Economics is taught too.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #676 on: November 22, 2022, 10:05:59 pm »
So how many hours then and I’ve just spoken to my daughter she never did citizenship her made did at another school tho while we’re at it economics should be taught as well they could replace something completely pointless and false like RE
If you look carefully, you will find that basic economics is also taught in citizenship.

And whilst I’m a committed atheist, to suggest that it isn’t important to understand what the great majority of the people in the world believe in, is (for me anyway) nonsensical.

So basically, your daughter doesn’t remember it, whereas I can show you the national curriculum and plan curriculum for a large school.

Fucking tories eh?
W

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #677 on: November 22, 2022, 10:21:02 pm »
Do kids ever know the names of subjects or classes they do at school, apart from maybe Maths and English?

I remember my eldest granddaughter saying the one thing she hated was science yet she'd grown up with me learning all about the natural world but didn't realise this was a science until I told her.

Sure of course I know there's physics and chemistry that are part of the sciences but she had no idea other than she'd decided she didn't like science for whatever reason.

Offline Cali

• Main Stander
« Reply #678 on: November 22, 2022, 10:24:53 pm »
Just been chatting to my daughter they did a day on citizenship in five years lol

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #679 on: November 22, 2022, 10:27:29 pm »
That simply doesn't stack up with what Tepid has said.

With all due respect, I'm going to trust someone in a school's SLT rather than a comment based on anecdotal evidence