Author Topic: Arthur Melo  (Read 121314 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: Arthur Melo
« Reply #360 on: September 6, 2022, 10:19:51 pm »
Hope he gets a start tomorrow. Throw him in, give him 60 minutes and see how it goes.

Not fit enough to play the 90 says Klopp.

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #361 on: September 6, 2022, 10:25:53 pm »
You should post this in a few more threads too. Give the Keita, Jones and Ox threads a bump in case anyone missed your moaning the first time.

You missed advising bumping the Thiago and Henderson threads as he had a dig at them as well.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: September 7, 2022, 12:04:24 am »
Thank god he landed in Liverpool where there’s no nightlife, clubs, pubs or any of those shenanigans. No chance he can be a piss head in northern England.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #363 on: September 7, 2022, 12:45:57 pm »
Thank god he landed in Liverpool where there’s no nightlife, clubs, pubs or any of those shenanigans. No chance he can be a piss head in northern England.
;D

I hear that Arthur was  tee-total for a while and only drank non-alcoholic beer, but now he's back on the booze again. Yep, Arthur is an ex-Kaliber drinker

(dammit one of these has gotta land!)
« Last Edit: September 7, 2022, 12:54:25 pm by Ghost Town »
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: September 7, 2022, 12:48:56 pm »
;D

I hear that Arthur was  tee-total for a while and only drank non-alcoholic beer, but now he's back on the booze again. Yep, Arthur is an ex-Kaliber drinker

(dammit one of these had gotta land!)

you and that horrible sword joke should be stoned.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #365 on: September 7, 2022, 12:50:46 pm »
Looking forward to him playing, could be absolutely fantastic for us

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #366 on: September 7, 2022, 04:07:53 pm »
Hope he starts alongside Thiago tonight. We're struggling to press this season. Let's just control the ball in midfield for ages instead. Save our legs and the back line. They might be redundant together. 

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: September 7, 2022, 10:11:17 pm »
Looked... competent. One iffy moment when he lost the ball turning out wide under pressure to, I imagine, pass the ball to our right-back who was no where to be seen, and was probably playing left-wing at that point.

I'd start him.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: September 7, 2022, 10:12:01 pm »
Looked... competent. One iffy moment when he lost the ball turning out wide under pressure to, I imagine, pass the ball to our right-back who was no where to be seen, and was probably playing left-wing at that point.

I'd start him.

He lost it a couple of times. But its his first game in how long?

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #369 on: September 7, 2022, 10:12:35 pm »
A right midfielder who played centrally. Small mercies.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: September 7, 2022, 10:18:14 pm »
He didn’t hoof it or dive in once and actually took up central positions. I’m in.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: September 7, 2022, 10:19:27 pm »
I don't think he'll make it here because he doesn't seem to have that intensity and physicality in his game but it's just an opinion and I hope I'm wrong.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #372 on: September 7, 2022, 10:19:54 pm »
Clearly heavy footed, ie not match sharp, but looked like a midfielder at least.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: September 7, 2022, 10:19:58 pm »
Thought he should have been on earlier, it was a dead game from half time but maybe it's too much given he hasn't even played a friendly since last season. It was nice to see a central midfielder play in central midfield at least.

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: September 7, 2022, 10:22:49 pm »
I don't think he'll make it here because he doesn't seem to have that intensity and physicality in his game but it's just an opinion and I hope I'm wrong.

How much have seen of him prior to tonight? He's really just here to provide a good solid option for us so that we are not overly reliant on a ageing Milner and other injury prone midfielders. Anything more would be a huge bonus.
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: September 7, 2022, 10:26:39 pm »

You can't judge a new player after a few minutes especially in a game like that. I thought he looked OK and wanted to get the ball forward. Only a decent run will give a clear idea of his use and ability.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: September 7, 2022, 10:27:22 pm »
You can't judge a new player after a few minutes especially in a game like that. I thought he looked OK and wanted to get the ball forward. Only a decent run will give a clear idea of his use and ability.
Hopefully, he'll boss it.

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: September 7, 2022, 10:32:16 pm »

He’s played 11 minutes of football for us.

It’ll take time.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: September 7, 2022, 11:10:31 pm »
I was fairly buoyed by his cameo to be honest. Granted, it's hard to gauge an 11 minute performance against a team who have stopped trying with the game sewn up, but even then, I was quite happy with what he did.

Wouldn't mind seeing him start against Wolves.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: September 7, 2022, 11:59:42 pm »
we saw a few minutes of a player who isn't match fit, playing with new teammates, in a system he's not familiar with, when we were struggling to do anything against a team playing great.

all things considered, he did just fine.

looks like he can do a job that we really need doing right now.  he doesn't need to set the world on fire as far as I'm concerned.  look forward to seeing more.

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: September 8, 2022, 12:35:48 am »
Hopefully, he'll boss it.

At the very least he should be able to provide back up to Thiago I think. Wait til he’s fit to judge. Is worrying he isn’t fit at the start of the season but Klopp will sort it out.

Online JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #381 on: September 8, 2022, 12:39:01 am »
At the very least he should be able to provide back up to Thiago I think. Wait til he’s fit to judge. Is worrying he isn’t fit at the start of the season but Klopp will sort it out.

I think Klopp said in the latest pre match conference that he wasn't even training with Juve so he's going to have to be eased in for sure.

Offline WoodenHanger

• Ursine Wanger.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #382 on: September 8, 2022, 12:40:46 am »
Start him against Wolves, he cannot be worse than Milner.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: September 8, 2022, 10:12:41 am »
Was a nice moment when he sold a presser the dummy in our box and won the free kick.

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: September 8, 2022, 10:14:26 am »
Clearly not match fit and will probably take a while before he is starting games. If the choice is him or Milner then he is obviously a better option.

Offline Luke1980

• Main Stander
« Reply #385 on: September 8, 2022, 11:39:21 am »
Does beg the question, if we were desperately scrambling in the transfer market last minute to bring in another midfield body to provide some cover for other midfielders that are/were injured (Henderson, Keita, Thiago, Jones) then why have we only been able to bring in a player that is not match fit and has barely trained recently?

Does that not somewhat defeat the purpose if he's not fit to play and going to take some time to get up to match sharpness?!

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: September 8, 2022, 11:58:02 am »
Does beg the question, if we were desperately scrambling in the transfer market last minute to bring in another midfield body to provide some cover for other midfielders that are/were injured (Henderson, Keita, Thiago, Jones) then why have we only been able to bring in a player that is not match fit and has barely trained recently?

Does that not somewhat defeat the purpose if he's not fit to play and going to take some time to get up to match sharpness?!

Because we were desperately scrambling in the transfer market last minute, it is what it is. Hopefully he gets up to speed fast but Arthur was never the most athletic player so I would not count on him playing 90 minutes twice a week any time soon.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #387 on: September 8, 2022, 12:02:31 pm »
Because we were desperately scrambling in the transfer market last minute, it is what it is. Hopefully he gets up to speed fast but Arthur was never the most athletic player so I would not count on him playing 90 minutes twice a week any time soon.

If we're going to tweak our style then having Melo and Thiago in the same side might not be a bad thing, especially if Fabinho is there. Yes, that is a midfield very short on 'legs' and mobility, but it makes up for it by way of having two great passers and another very good one at his best at the base. Opposition teams can't counter us as much if we're not turning the ball over so easily.

It wouldn't work all of the time of course, but we'd be very neat and progressive if they all get up to speed.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #388 on: September 8, 2022, 12:05:38 pm »

Why would it defeat the purpose if it might take some time to get up to match sharpness? Ox and Naby are both seemingly long term, so I doubt we were bringing him in just for the next month and then never to be seen again, otherwise yes....very odd move. Hopefully the plan is to actually use him for the whole season though, in which case it seems more sensible.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: September 8, 2022, 12:31:22 pm »
We are going to need to play him and play him a lot in the next few weeks to get him up to speed.

Asking Fabinho, Thiago, Elliot / Carvalho to play all the midfield minutes is requesting another injury.

Offline Luke1980

• Main Stander
« Reply #390 on: September 8, 2022, 01:10:34 pm »
Why would it defeat the purpose if it might take some time to get up to match sharpness? Ox and Naby are both seemingly long term, so I doubt we were bringing him in just for the next month and then never to be seen again, otherwise yes....very odd move. Hopefully the plan is to actually use him for the whole season though, in which case it seems more sensible.

It seemed (to me - and I could be wrong) that (after losing out on Touchameni) we only made a genuine attempt to get another midfielder in late when Henderson got his injury, as if that was the last straw? Presumably because we thought with Jones/Thiago being 'short-term' injuries that we could muddle through till they got back.

I assumed we went in for someone late in the window as an emergency so as to provide cover immediately? The fact this midfield cover is himself not fit enough to play many minutes yet seems to defeat the purpose of getting someone in to cover the short-term injury situation?

If the plan all along was actually to get someone in as a longer term prospect, then I don't understand why we left it till the last second of the transfer window? i.e we could have gone for (a) Nunes (or someone of his ilk) instead and got them 'up to speed' by now already.

It feels like there was no plan. Or the plan was to get our first choice target (or no-one this window). Then we have about faced due to another looming injury crisis, but brought in someone who's not fit enough to play anyway? It's just desperately poor planning.

None of this is Melo's fault, of course. and he may turn out to be a shrewd signing when we look back in several months time - but equally he may find himself sat on the bench most of the time (when he's finally fit enough for 90 minutes) because Jones/Thiago/Keita are all (finally) fit (wishful thinking?!).

« Last Edit: September 8, 2022, 01:14:43 pm by Luke1980 »

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: September 8, 2022, 01:14:59 pm »
If we're going to tweak our style then having Melo and Thiago in the same side might not be a bad thing, especially if Fabinho is there. Yes, that is a midfield very short on 'legs' and mobility, but it makes up for it by way of having two great passers and another very good one at his best at the base. Opposition teams can't counter us as much if we're not turning the ball over so easily.

It wouldn't work all of the time of course, but we'd be very neat and progressive if they all get up to speed.
It's a good point, but based on what I've seen, our attackers have been turning it over cheaply as have the likes of Trent and Robbo. But there's no doubt a more compact midfield that keeps hold of the ball will help massively.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #392 on: September 8, 2022, 01:17:35 pm »
It's a good point, but based on what I've seen, our attackers have been turning it over cheaply as have the likes of Trent and Robbo. But there's no doubt a more compact midfield that keeps hold of the ball will help massively.

Salah couldn't trap a bag of cement last night. Nunez has been very raw and scruffy. Diaz is a different kind of player who will lose out by taking players on at times, but he's been our best player this season. But you're right, the service is one thing but the players in forward positions are not anywhere near the required standard right now in terms of basics.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: September 8, 2022, 01:22:26 pm »
We'll win it back more often than not if we we are more compact.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: September 8, 2022, 02:12:38 pm »
It seemed (to me - and I could be wrong) that (after losing out on Touchameni) we only made a genuine attempt to get another midfielder in late when Henderson got his injury, as if that was the last straw? Presumably because we thought with Jones/Thiago being 'short-term' injuries that we could muddle through till they got back.

I assumed we went in for someone late in the window as an emergency so as to provide cover immediately? The fact this midfield cover is himself not fit enough to play many minutes yet seems to defeat the purpose of getting someone in to cover the short-term injury situation?

If the plan all along was actually to get someone in as a longer term prospect, then I don't understand why we left it till the last second of the transfer window? i.e we could have gone for (a) Nunes (or someone of his ilk) instead and got them 'up to speed' by now already.

It feels like there was no plan. Or the plan was to get our first choice target (or no-one this window). Then we have about faced due to another looming injury crisis, but brought in someone who's not fit enough to play anyway? It's just desperately poor planning.

None of this is Melo's fault, of course. and he may turn out to be a shrewd signing when we look back in several months time - but equally he may find himself sat on the bench most of the time (when he's finally fit enough for 90 minutes) because Jones/Thiago/Keita are all (finally) fit (wishful thinking?!).

If you're asking yourself what was the point of signing someone for a month who isn't going to be properly match fit in that time, then the answer is most likely that we didn't sign him for a month.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Luke1980

• Main Stander
« Reply #395 on: September 8, 2022, 02:22:39 pm »
If you're asking yourself what was the point of signing someone for a month who isn't going to be properly match fit in that time, then the answer is most likely that we didn't sign him for a month.

Right, I would agree with that. So why not sign him at the start of the window, when the Tchouameni deal fell through?

We clearly identified a need for another midfielder, then didn't get the one(s) we wanted, then changed our mind and decided we could wait (all links to signings went quiet), then got an injury (or two) and panicked so got in someone at the last possible minute that coincidentally was always going to be a long-term signing? I don't buy that was the plan. I think Melo signing is a combination of panic and opportunism - as one of the biggest clubs in the world it's just disappointing and concerning that our transfer 'strategy' is like this?

It smacks of ineptitude to me. No cohesion in the planning. I am blaming FSG for this, not Klopp btw.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: September 8, 2022, 02:24:54 pm »
Right, I would agree with that. So why not sign him at the start of the window, when the Tchouameni deal fell through?

We clearly identified a need for another midfielder, then didn't get the one(s) we wanted, then changed our mind and decided we could wait (all links to signings went quiet), then got an injury (or two) and panicked so got in someone at the last possible minute that coincidentally was always going to be a long-term signing? I don't buy that was the plan. I think Melo signing is a combination of panic and opportunism - as one of the biggest clubs in the world it's just disappointing and concerning that our transfer 'strategy' is like this?

It smacks of ineptitude to me. No cohesion in the planning. I am blaming FSG for this, not Klopp btw.

I got that ;)

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: September 8, 2022, 02:25:49 pm »

maybe it was, but as always with the transfer shit, you can't conclude much on the whole iceberg when you only see the part that's above the surface. eg maybe we wanted him for weeks but Juve wouldn't play along coz they wanted a straight sale?  who TF knows?
« Last Edit: September 8, 2022, 02:27:28 pm by SamLad »

Offline Luke1980

• Main Stander
« Reply #398 on: September 8, 2022, 02:29:37 pm »
maybe it was, but as always with the transfer shit, you can't conclude much on the whole iceberg when you only see the part that's above the surface. eg maybe we wanted him for weeks but Juve wouldn't play along coz they wanted a straight sale?  who TF knows?

That's a possibility I guess. The fucker should have got on the treadmill the second he realised we were interested then so he'd hit the ground running! ;)

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: September 8, 2022, 02:33:15 pm »
That's a possibility I guess. The fucker should have got on the treadmill the second he realised we were interested then so he'd hit the ground running! ;)
or, knowing our luck, hit the ground falling off the damned treadmill .......