Author Topic: Cineworld to file for bankruptcy  (Read 2451 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cineworld to file for bankruptcy
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2022, 07:38:29 am »
I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema but it must be 20yrs ago.

Maybe the first Lara Croft film or Cayote Ugly?

Ah no Paul's just reminded me we went to see Jeepers Creepers and I hate scary films

I can understand how the sound and big screen makes the film better but I was always put off with loads of noisy teenagers being dicks and it's too damned expensive!

You need to go to the cinema and go watch a good film because when Cinema’s cease to exist the last thing you want to say was that any of those shite films were the last films you saw.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2022, 07:47:15 am »
Hope they'll be the last ones. We usually go to a Showcase near ours with electric reclining seats, always a great experience and you soon forget about the price once you're in there.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2022, 12:32:18 pm »
At the end of the day cinemas are (as anyone who has ever worked at one can attest) essentially popcorn companies that heavily rely on concession sales. It's why so many of them were on the brink of folding when COVID rules in some countries prevented people  from eating and drinking while watching a film.

In Cineworld's case, I'd think the massive damages payout ($1.24 billion CAD) from its aborted acquisition of Canada's Cineplex Odeon chain probably has had an impact in this bankruptcy decision

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2022, 02:18:39 pm »
Does that mean FACT is goosed?

You'd really hope not. Suppose we'll have to wait and see.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2022, 09:35:38 pm »
You need to go to the cinema and go watch a good film because when Cinema’s cease to exist the last thing you want to say was that any of those shite films were the last films you saw.
Yeah, well, maybe if they start actually making good films again. I think Scorsese had a point about Marvel films. They're fine in isolation, but when they're the main attraction and there's very little else then there's your problem. I don't care how much money they make either.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2022, 09:50:38 pm »

We have everything we need at home to watch any films we want as we'd rather not go to the cinema.

I just find the whole experience traumatic and stressful.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2022, 10:48:50 pm »
We have everything we need at home to watch any films we want as we'd rather not go to the cinema.

I can recommend the cinema in Holyhead Debs. Went to see Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom there on a typically wet summer day when I was about 5. :D

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2022, 10:25:33 am »
Hope it stays open for the people that work there but maybe these type of places like the Odeon, Cineworld and Showcase, need to cutdown on how many screens they have and like the FACT or the old Odeon on London Rd maybe just have three four or five screens to cut down on costs .....Less if more as the saying goes
Really hope the Fact is ok as I have a membership there and it's so much more enjoyable than going to the big multiplex's.

Shame the Woolton has gone too
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 10:28:49 am by Armchair expert »

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2022, 10:31:22 am »
I can recommend the cinema in Holyhead Debs. Went to see Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom there on a typically wet summer day when I was about 5. :D

Like I say mate, we just don't do the cinema as we'd rather wait till it's available to watch at home.

In winter we very often have a cinema day or weekend at home with popcorn and pick & mix 👌

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2022, 10:33:50 am »

Don't answer if you feel uncomfortable but out of interest, what element is so bad it crosses over into trauma?

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2022, 10:39:06 am »
Don't answer if you feel uncomfortable but out of interest, what element is so bad it crosses over into trauma?

Too many occasions where gangs of unsupervised teenagers are standing on seats, throwing things and threatening anyone who asks them to pipe down.

I don't expect to pay the kind of money they charge to watch a film to feel like my safety is in danger.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2022, 10:54:52 am »
Too many occasions where gangs of unsupervised teenagers are standing on seats, throwing things and threatening anyone who asks them to pipe down.

I don't expect to pay the kind of money they charge to watch a film to feel like my safety is in danger.

This would be the golden age for you if you can be bothered, screens are empty as I’m not sure how teens can afford the prices!
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2022, 11:03:47 am »
Yeah, well, maybe if they start actually making good films again. I think Scorsese had a point about Marvel films. They're fine in isolation, but when they're the main attraction and there's very little else then there's your problem. I don't care how much money they make either.

Agreed, I have zero interest in watching adults dressed up in silly costumes prancing about in front of a green screen for 2 hours.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2022, 11:21:48 am »
This would be the golden age for you if you can be bothered, screens are empty as I’m not sure how teens can afford the prices!

Quite probably mate if there was anything decent to watch that we both like 😂

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2022, 12:41:33 pm »
Prices have a lot to do with it too. Unless you have a monthly/annual card, singles to watch at the local cinema costs around £12.

Also I'd like the opportunity to watch old releases in the cinema, which the UK tends not to do compared to the US

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2022, 01:06:27 pm »
Think VUE have been doing a £5 per ticket promotion on Saturday's for a while now.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2022, 01:58:44 pm »
Yeah, fiver is reasonable but 12 quid is pricey for an average cinema goer, couple with snacks etc, you're talking around £25 quid.

News that they are considering bankruptcy doesn't bode well for their future. People may go in to watch a one off film, but no one is going to buy a gift card or monthly subscription if their future is uncertain

Offline Oh Campione

• Anny Roader
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2022, 02:04:21 pm »
Does that mean FACT is goosed?

As someone who works at FACT I can confirm we are not goosed.  FACT is the charity that owns the building and is responsible for the galleries, artwork and learning programme.  The cinema are tenants in our building. 

Everyone who works in our building is amazing but since Cineworld bought Picturehouse the relationship has been challenging to say the least (not paying rent, cutting standards) -  Really hope they do not go but if they do the cinema and building will continue to operate

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2022, 05:31:57 pm »
I go to the odeon pretty much every fortnight or so with the free tickets they give out on O2 priority

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2022, 10:33:08 am »

I've been going to Cineworld since it opened in South Liverpool and never seen anything like that once

Mind you, we're fairly fesity here, so if a bunch of dickhead kids acted like that, they'd deffo get a straightner - which is why I guess it's never happened :D

Your community needs to man/women/person up
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2022, 12:43:24 pm »
I've been going to Cineworld since it opened in South Liverpool and never seen anything like that once

Mind you, we're fairly fesity here, so if a bunch of dickhead kids acted like that, they'd deffo get a straightner - which is why I guess it's never happened :D

Your community needs to man/women/person up

Unfortunately that community has been ferral for about 40yrs so it's 3rd generation now.

Think Kes and times it by 50 or 100 with the "my (whichever pronoun suits) is bigger than yours". 

You can't say peep without some motherfucker knocking on your door or just some wannabe scrawny fuck making your life a misery.

Even after 5yrs of harassment, anti social behaviour, threats and aggression by a neighbour the police  wouldn't intervene until my husband was physically assaulted by him with a knife for asking him to keep the noise down at 1.30am.

It's not just inner cities that are ghettos now, small towns and villages have become wastelands.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #61 on: September 7, 2022, 08:43:55 pm »
Cinema chain Cineworld files for bankruptcy protection in US

UK-based company says restructure of nearly $9bn debt and lease burden will dilute equity interests

https://www.ft.com/content/732be0f4-7eb8-4c06-9b94-f22a56acea16
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 7, 2022, 08:56:01 pm »
Cinema chain Cineworld files for bankruptcy protection in US

UK-based company says restructure of nearly $9bn debt and lease burden will dilute equity interests

https://www.ft.com/content/732be0f4-7eb8-4c06-9b94-f22a56acea16

Important to note this doesn't mean going out of business. This happens all the time in America, I've seen loads of companies we work with at my work or competitors doing it and they carry on after restructuring.

That said, the article is paywalled so I'm just assuming this a Chapter 11 thing...

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #63 on: September 7, 2022, 09:19:49 pm »
Important to note this doesn't mean going out of business. This happens all the time in America, I've seen loads of companies we work with at my work or competitors doing it and they carry on after restructuring.

That said, the article is paywalled so I'm just assuming this a Chapter 11 thing...

That's strange when I put the article up it wasn't behind a paywall

Yes it's a Chapter 11 thing

https://news.sky.com/story/cineworld-files-for-bankruptcy-protection-in-the-us-12692152
« Last Edit: September 7, 2022, 09:22:16 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.