2000-01 Coventry City
2002-03 West Ham United
2003-04 Leeds United
2008-09 Newcastle United
2009-10 Portsmouth
2015-16 Aston Villa
2016-17 Sunderland
other (not including 2021-22)

Author Topic: Biggest relegation you can remember?  (Read 5511 times)

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
Re: Biggest relegation you can remember?
« Reply #80 on: April 9, 2022, 10:59:48 am »
Everything about that video is incredible.  Old Trafford looks great even, and Colin Bell looks like he must’ve been some player.  The backheel though, it beggars belief that that actually happened.

he was, quality on the ball, a real player, cultured, any team would've been happy to have him and Law was probably my fav non-liverpool player (and yes, including when he was at utd)

what did stand out on that youtube video for me was the names of the players, plenty of city players i could've rattled off before watching it, hardly any utd players, forgotten most of them
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #81 on: April 9, 2022, 11:01:26 am »
As for the 2010-11 Liverpool season, Hodgson's team got 25 points before Christmas even while being terrible so there's just no way he wouldn't have scraped by. Forget about a top six though.

it felt like we were down when he was there for me, every fucking day, still haven't got over it  ;D
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: April 9, 2022, 11:32:23 am »
Colin Bell was my favourite non-Liverpool player. He was a Rolls-Royce of a player.

He was a tremendous player wasn't he. Nicknamed Nijinsky after the famous race horse of the time.

From the north east and yet another talent that NUFC failed to scout and recognise despite living on their door step.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #83 on: April 9, 2022, 11:40:20 am »
it felt like we were down when he was there for me, every fucking day, still haven't got over it  ;D

The mental feeling at the time was a bit different, I'll admit ;D

That's mainly because we absolutely weren't used to it. Having said that, Roy actually had a 6-2-2 home record to 6-2-1 for Kenny - it was just that the away form improved drastically after the managerial change, from 1-2-7 to 4-1-4 which led to a significant resurgence in the standings. Likely it would've been the worst away season by a mile if Roy had continued though but I'm very confident that at the very least the team would've landed at 44-48 points. Crucially Fulham ended eighth on 49, so top half definitely had been on the cards as humiliating as that season would've been. In theory, it could've been quite close but I can't see that team not scraping a few Anfield wins during spring to seal the deal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_Liverpool_F.C._season#Premier_League
« Last Edit: April 9, 2022, 11:42:56 am by Lewis Hamilton’s #1 fan »
Linudden.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: April 9, 2022, 12:16:13 pm »
That's what makes me laugh when they go on about how we were able to spend in the 80s and be successful, when it was them breaking the British transfer record on Steve Daly (only to get relegated) when we signed Ian Rush from Chester.

I brought this up to my City supporting brother-in-law a couple of years ago. He'd totally forgotten about Peter Swales chucking money at his beloved Man City back in the 80's whilst we had a first class scouting system that had unearthed gems like Rush, Keegan, Neal, Heighway etc. It was many years before we broke the £1 million pound barrier when others were splashing out cash like it was going out of fashion.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: April 9, 2022, 12:26:58 pm »
As for the 2010-11 Liverpool season, Hodgson's team got 25 points before Christmas even while being terrible so there's just no way he wouldn't have scraped by. Forget about a top six though.

That's incorrect. We had 22 points before Christmas then lost to Wolves just after. We were 3 points above the relegation zone at the turn of the year.
We spent most of the month of October in the relegation zone, only getting out of it after scraping a win away at Bolton. We won 1 of the first 8 games, losing 4 including a home defeat to Blackpool. Hodgson famously said we weren't too good to go down.
If we'd have stuck with him, there's no way anyone can confidently say we would have stayed up. We were only 4 points clear of Wigan in 19th when he was sacked.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Currywurst

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #86 on: April 9, 2022, 12:38:17 pm »
Went for United, obviously, and Leeds first relegation. Grew up halfway between Leeds and Manchester in the 60s and those two were the biggest names in the 70s, so surprised to see them both go down. Leeds had been a real force in the 70s and seemed to fall away so quickly.
Third choice Forest, for the reasons others have stated. European champions to 2nd division in such a short time, reflected the simultaneous decline of Clough.
Amazing to think that West Ham and Palace went down with total points in the upper 40s. Certainly can't see any of this year's candidates getting so many points.
Füreinander, nicht jeder für sich.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #87 on: April 9, 2022, 01:14:22 pm »
That's incorrect. We had 22 points before Christmas then lost to Wolves just after.

My bad but I mixed it up with the first 19 games.
Linudden.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #88 on: May 3, 2022, 03:19:57 pm »
Not the biggest club on the list by any means, probably the smallest, but I went for Blackburn, they won the league four years previous

Leeds wasnt a surprise after their financial issues, Forest were on a long term decline, but how do you get relegated 4 years after winning the title

Villa won the League in 81, Big Ears in 82, SuperCup at the start of 82/3, then relegated in 87.

I sort of crystallised the 'big clubs' - ie, those in the first division - in the early 80's when I really started to take notice of the entire league. So clubs like Stoke, Forest, Ipswich, West Brom, Coventry will always have a little pocket of 'oh, they're a big club' in my subconscious. Whereas both Leeds and Newcastle (who were mostly outside Div1 in that time) I tend to subconsciously omit from that 'big club' group.

« Last Edit: May 3, 2022, 03:26:28 pm by Nobby Reserve »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"