Author Topic: Fuel & energy prices  (Read 122580 times)

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Fuel & energy prices
« Reply #2360 on: December 27, 2023, 08:05:25 pm »
I'm still closely monitoring how much electric we're using to keep my monthly payments as low as possible but my supplier is still telling me I should be paying more.

I have my direct debit set at £80 despite not using that amount yet they're saying it should be £94 or I'll be £154 in debit at the end of my 12mth plan whenever that is 🤷

Considering I'm in credit and won't likely have used the £80 I'll be paying them on 1st January plus they've already told me the planned price increase in January will only add £3 per month to my bills they can go swivel for their £94.

It'll be 6mths in January since we had the smart meter fitted so they've got plenty of data showing how much we've reduced our usage and therefore our bills so I'm looking forward to hearing their explanation when I contact them about it 😁

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2361 on: December 27, 2023, 08:32:46 pm »
Oh it is. But not as efficient as turning it off for a conservatory you aren't using.

Miss Scarlet in the conservatory with the knife
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2362 on: January 14, 2024, 07:56:16 pm »
We've been given the go ahead by our landlord to apply for the solar panels, heat source pump and insulation grant so does anyone know whether we apply for the grant first then appoint a company to do the work or approach the company and let them do the application?

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2363 on: January 14, 2024, 08:00:55 pm »
We've been given the go ahead by our landlord to apply for the solar panels, heat source pump and insulation grant so does anyone know whether we apply for the grant first then appoint a company to do the work or approach the company and let them do the application?
I did not realise such grants are available to tenants. Do you have some kind of assured, long-term tenancy?
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2364 on: January 14, 2024, 08:13:38 pm »
I did not realise such grants are available to tenants. Do you have some kind of assured, long-term tenancy?

So long as you qualify and have the landlords permission you can get it done mate.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2365 on: January 14, 2024, 08:24:36 pm »
No idea.

Who's the grant with?

It seems there's hundreds of companies offering the scheme but the grant is from the Welsh government.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #2366 on: January 14, 2024, 08:24:43 pm »

Without knowing the specifics, isn’t it a bit risky if you don’t own the property? What if the landlord needs you to move for whatever reason or am I missing something?
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2367 on: January 14, 2024, 08:28:48 pm »
Without knowing the specifics, isn’t it a bit risky if you don’t own the property? What if the landlord needs you to move for whatever reason or am I missing something?

Why would they be bothered though mate?

This scheme is only for our own use so there's no storage batteries or payments to us for any additional energy generated. 

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2368 on: January 14, 2024, 08:46:54 pm »
So long as you qualify and have the landlords permission you can get it done mate.
Great!
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2369 on: January 14, 2024, 08:48:00 pm »
Why would they be bothered though mate?

This scheme is only for our own use so there's no storage batteries or payments to us for any additional energy generated.
So, the grant pays for the whole cost of installation - yes?

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2370 on: January 14, 2024, 08:57:56 pm »
So, the grant pays for the whole cost of installation - yes?

Yes mate.  It replaces our oil central heating and hot water with solar and heat source pump and electricity usage will be from the solar panels.

We're in a stone built house so all the exterior walls will be internally insulated as well as the loft to reduce heat loss.

Some of my sister's work colleagues have had it done and it's reduced their energy costs from around £60 per week to less than a tenner.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2371 on: January 14, 2024, 10:02:39 pm »
Yes mate.  It replaces our oil central heating and hot water with solar and heat source pump and electricity usage will be from the solar panels.

We're in a stone built house so all the exterior walls will be internally insulated as well as the loft to reduce heat loss.

Some of my sister's work colleagues have had it done and it's reduced their energy costs from around £60 per week to less than a tenner.
I had no idea that 1. this was available to tenants; and 2. that the grant covers the fulls costs. Great stuff! It is a no-brainer then.

Just one question - revealing my inner cynic no doubt - but what is to stop the landlord from putting up the rent because the house is now improved? I hope this is something you have already considered and I am not causing you distress by asking this (your landlord might an entirely reasonable guy who would never do such a thing).

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2372 on: January 14, 2024, 10:26:32 pm »
I had no idea that 1. this was available to tenants; and 2. that the grant covers the fulls costs. Great stuff! It is a no-brainer then.

Just one question - revealing my inner cynic no doubt - but what is to stop the landlord from putting up the rent because the house is now improved? I hope this is something you have already considered and I am not causing you distress by asking this (your landlord might an entirely reasonable guy who would never do such a thing).

I guess there's nothing to stop them but they've not done it with anyone else that have had similar improvements done through the government grants so hopefully that continues for all of us.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2373 on: January 14, 2024, 10:29:46 pm »
I guess there's nothing to stop them but they've not done it with anyone else that have had similar improvements done through the government grants so hopefully that continues for all of us.
Good to hear! :)

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #2374 on: January 19, 2024, 07:10:39 am »
Believer

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #2375 on: January 19, 2024, 01:58:22 pm »
Shortly after coming off a 2-year fixed in October, my provider tried to up my monthly DD from £178 to almost £400. We compromised on £250 as I genuinely couldn't afford to go higher.

Two months later, I get a new email telling me that they're upping the DD to £510.

I get back in touch to protest but they won't budge without me doing a formal income/expenditure assessment.

The utter shitbags.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2377 on: January 19, 2024, 02:22:01 pm »
Shortly after coming off a 2-year fixed in October, my provider tried to up my monthly DD from £178 to almost £400. We compromised on £250 as I genuinely couldn't afford to go higher.

Two months later, I get a new email telling me that they're upping the DD to £510.

I get back in touch to protest but they won't budge without me doing a formal income/expenditure assessment.

The utter shitbags.

Christ I'm currently going through a complaints process with mine for wanting me to pay a tenner more 😂

I'd be sat in the dark in silence with loads of duvets if they were expecting me to pay half that amount 😳

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #2378 on: January 19, 2024, 06:25:09 pm »

The utter shitbags.

what the fuck does it have to do with your income/expenditure?

It's the amount of energy they think you will use I believe that shapes your direct debit.

How many of you at home?

There's three of us and I work from home every day and mine is £157 a month, this month we'll use more as it's been cold so the heating is on more than normal but still not really spending more than £7 a day  (I am a tight fucker though)

£510 a month sounds ridiculous though, actually £250 sounds ridiculous too. How much are you using daily on your smart meter as £510 a day indicates it's about £17 every day, which sounds excessive.
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2379 on: January 19, 2024, 06:35:56 pm »

The utter shitbags.

That’s just insane, if you think about it, energy prices have roughly doubled from where they were two years ago so £250 might be right unless your old tariff was really cheap.

How many units are you using annually of gas and electricity if you don’t mind me asking?
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2380 on: January 19, 2024, 08:00:51 pm »
That’s just insane, if you think about it, energy prices have roughly doubled from where they were two years ago so £250 might be right unless your old tariff was really cheap.

How many units are you using annually of gas and electricity if you don’t mind me asking?

We moved to Sainsbury's/Eon in Oct 21. Entered our usage over the last year and they worked out what we should be paying - £178/month.

There's 4 of us, but it's a relative new build and has good insulation.

They didn't take the DD first month so our account was instantly £178 in debit. Usage must have inched up because after 12 months, we were about £200 in debit. But they never made any noises about paying that off.

Early spring 23, we're all still on the Govt subsidy scheme, so paying £105/month. Eon tell me we're now about £350 in debit and they're hiking the DD to something daft (so it seemed) like £370 to pay off the deficit. I wrote to them explaining we'd been with them for two winters and one summer, so we were bound to have a bigger debit balance now, but gave the annual usage for the previous 12 months to back up that we'd not increased usage, so asked that they keep the DD at £105 (with subsidy)

When the subsidy stopped, I expected the DD to increase back to £178, but they kept taking just £105. I should have said something but our mortgage had soared and it was a help to keep the electric/gas DD down.

I also got an EV that spring.

And neglected to give them any readings until just before the cheaper fixed (think it was 20.3p for elec and 5.7p gas, with the much lower fixed daily tariff) expired.

So when they reviewed our account in the November (tariff now around 27p/7p) my balance was something like £800 in debit, with an estimated use of £240/month over the year. But they agreed to keep the new, higher DD to £250.

Annoyingly, they've reviewed again and told me I owed just over £1k. That was based on their estimated readings so I've taken some new ones and, although they're lower than their estimates, it's not by a substantial amount.

I'd rather continue to owe them £1k (interest free!) indefinitely, but they obviously see it differently ( ;D) and basically want me to pay it off quickly over 4 months.

So a big chunk of the problem is of my own making, but they're now being twattish about me paying off the deficit.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2381 on: January 20, 2024, 10:00:48 am »
So its not your usage that has gone up that much, they just want to increase your DD because you owe them, and they want you to pay it off? You can't really be surprised at that!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #2382 on: January 24, 2024, 08:27:32 pm »
Predicted Energy Cap tombe £1620 from April and £1497 from July and £1541 from October

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68055884

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2383 on: January 24, 2024, 08:34:06 pm »
Predicted Energy Cap tombe £1620 from April and £1497 from July and £1541 from October

Means nothing to those of us on oil mate so any idea what the gas/electric split is likely to be?

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #2384 on: January 24, 2024, 10:25:35 pm »
Means nothing to those of us on oil mate so any idea what the gas/electric split is likely to be?
Naturally the Standing Charge gets forever higher though

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2385 on: January 24, 2024, 10:57:46 pm »
Naturally the Standing Charge gets forever higher though

Thanks mate 👍

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2386 on: January 24, 2024, 11:12:01 pm »

Dammit, I’m fixed until the end of July.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2387 on: January 31, 2024, 10:08:07 am »
Have been riding out the low wholesale prices over the past few months by being on the Octopus Tracker tariff.

The amount of energy I get charged each day fluctuates based on market price + a set fee to cover their costs. As prices have been low, I've been getting charged considerably under the cap for a while now.

Octopus have emailed to say that they're increasing their cost above the wholesale price as of Feb 15th; 0.38p/kwh for gas, 2.3p/kwh for electricity. Based on what I've been paying recently, that's about a 15% increase. Standing charge also going up.

Fuckers. Suppose all good things come to an end.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2388 on: January 31, 2024, 10:16:45 am »
Have been riding out the low wholesale prices over the past few months by being on the Octopus Tracker tariff.

The amount of energy I get charged each day fluctuates based on market price + a set fee to cover their costs. As prices have been low, I've been getting charged considerably under the cap for a while now.

Octopus have emailed to say that they're increasing their cost above the wholesale price as of Feb 15th; 0.38p/kwh for gas, 2.3p/kwh for electricity. Based on what I've been paying recently, that's about a 15% increase. Standing charge also going up.

Fuckers. Suppose all good things come to an end.

They always get you in the end  ;)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2389 on: January 31, 2024, 10:27:34 am »
Dammit, I’m fixed until the end of July.

Check your penalty for leaving your fixed early. May be cheaper ducking out.

But the hope is that better fixed rates may come in by July

Martin Lewis advice would be to stay at the capped rate til July and see what fixes come out then

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2390 on: February 1, 2024, 11:45:42 pm »
Check your penalty for leaving your fixed early. May be cheaper ducking out.

But the hope is that better fixed rates may come in by July

Martin Lewis advice would be to stay at the capped rate til July and see what fixes come out then

It’s £75 each for gas and electricity, so it’s not cheap to duck out but then it’s probably worth doing it if the predictions are true. Will have a think about it.
Thinking is overrated.

Online BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2391 on: February 2, 2024, 03:51:49 pm »
I get both gas and electric from Octopus and when online putting my meter readings in I won £1 on the spin the wheel thing.

Gee fucking whizz.  :D

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2392 on: February 2, 2024, 07:45:29 pm »
I got £1 too. No idea how as we have just signed up with them.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2393 on: February 2, 2024, 08:23:51 pm »
I got £1 too. No idea how as we have just signed up with them.

They credit your account, like you will notice . . . . . show me the money you bastards I want to go out and buy some sweeties, not that £1 buys much these days, maybe 2 gobstoppers.   :D

Offline BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2394 on: February 3, 2024, 05:45:17 pm »
Moving house very soon, new place has solar panels fitted and uses heat pumps.  I'm with Scottish Power currently but not in a fixed deal so I can move to another provider.

I'm expecting my bills to plummet from £190 a month electric and £90 a month gas, but what is recommended I should do considering the new tech?  Stay with Scottish Power?
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2395 on: February 14, 2024, 04:43:50 pm »
Does anyone know about whether its best to wait in terms of fixing until the July price cap reduction? Been offered a decent fix now but apparently in July it will go down more?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2396 on: February 14, 2024, 04:49:32 pm »
Moving house very soon, new place has solar panels fitted and uses heat pumps.  I'm with Scottish Power currently but not in a fixed deal so I can move to another provider.

I'm expecting my bills to plummet from £190 a month electric and £90 a month gas, but what is recommended I should do considering the new tech?  Stay with Scottish Power?

Probably best to find a price comparison site.  Personally I'd stay with them on a variable tarriff for a year so you can see what your new usage looks like. Then look at if a fix works for you.

--edit-- I'm keen to hear how you get on with heat pumps.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2397 on: February 14, 2024, 04:50:39 pm »
Does anyone know about whether its best to wait in terms of fixing until the July price cap reduction? Been offered a decent fix now but apparently in July it will go down more?
Oh come on Kh. You know you might as well ask us for a double on next lfc manager and title winner this season.

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #2398 on: February 15, 2024, 03:25:34 pm »
I see British Gas profits have jumped up tenfold. With dividends paid out of £143 million odd to shareholders.

We are a soft nation aren't we...

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2399 on: February 15, 2024, 05:13:22 pm »
Diesel prices on the way back up again here 😡