Author Topic: Champions League draw  (Read 86746 times)

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: Champions League draw
« Reply #1600 on: March 18, 2022, 12:06:05 pm »
Wanted to avoid City and Chelsea at least until the final. Wasn't bothered other than that but would have preferred a home to first although it suits us better in terms of the tie.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1601 on: March 18, 2022, 12:06:37 pm »
Got a sneaky feeling Villarreal will be tricky for Bayern.  Certainly no pushover

Same, defensively they are a bit dodgy Bayern. Any team that beats Juventus 4-1 over 2 legs deserves a bit of respect too.

Offline Magz50

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1602 on: March 18, 2022, 12:07:21 pm »
Nice draw for us, Benfica shouldn’t be too hard, Bayern will give us a game though

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1603 on: March 18, 2022, 12:07:26 pm »
Same, defensively they are a bit dodgy Bayern. Any team that beats Juventus 4-1 over 2 legs deserves a bit of respect too.

We've cut Nagelsman's teams open at will. Main concern would be our schedule at that point a bit like Barca in 2019. Barca rested everyone for that semi, for all the good it did

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1604 on: March 18, 2022, 12:07:33 pm »
The same Palace that they failed to beat twice this season?

Atletico are Palace on steroids . Will be a tough time for City especially when you consider their knack for bottling it in Europe.

Offline Moos

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1605 on: March 18, 2022, 12:07:58 pm »
Its a bad match up for them
It is possible that they only play English teams in this seasons CL except for a couple group stage matches.
After City, Chelsea and Liverpool again could be waiting for them ::)

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #1606 on: March 18, 2022, 12:08:30 pm »
Atletico are Palace on steroids . Will be a tough time for City especially when you consider their knack for bottling it in Europe.
We want a really tough game for them and we want them to go through. They can bottle it in the semis after two more really tough games

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1607 on: March 18, 2022, 12:09:17 pm »

Atletico have been awful this season but seem to have some mojo back. They'll be up for the tie.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1608 on: March 18, 2022, 12:11:04 pm »
On form and on paper City should smash Atletico, but of course there is always hope that the shite black-shirted snide will pull something off.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1609 on: March 18, 2022, 12:11:06 pm »
We want a really tough game for them and we want them to go through. They can bottle it in the semis after two more really tough games

I remember in 2019 I was torn over wanting them to beat Spurs as was convinced they'd drop points either side of the semi. The final would have been them or Ajax though.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1610 on: March 18, 2022, 12:12:44 pm »

There's only one side in world football that is even close to our level, you want them out and fast because it increases our chances of winning a final should we make it no?

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1611 on: March 18, 2022, 12:13:05 pm »
Atletico have been awful this season but seem to have some mojo back. They'll be up for the tie.

It's a two legged tie in Europe in a do or die situation. Suits atletico perfectly. Think Atleitco go through

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #1612 on: March 18, 2022, 12:14:25 pm »
There's only one side in world football that is even close to our level, you want them out and fast because it increases our chances of winning a final should we make it no?

I'm hoping for a really hard couple of games against Chelsea/Madrid that goes to extra time and pens and they go out. It can only help us in the league

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1613 on: March 18, 2022, 12:15:21 pm »
I'm hoping for a really hard couple of games against Chelsea/Madrid that goes to extra time and pens and they go out. It can only help us in the league

It would be nice ye, I still think I'd rather they just went out now. They are the only side I fear in world football.

Online ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #1614 on: March 18, 2022, 12:18:40 pm »
Really good outcome with that draw.

I know a lot of people weren't fans of Atletico or Simeone after we played them but I will be 100% supporting them (and Real) in their ties. Could really see AM causing City some grief.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1615 on: March 18, 2022, 12:21:01 pm »
So this is how City fans usually feel after a champions league draw.. 🤔

Nice feeling I must say..  ;D
;D

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #1616 on: March 18, 2022, 12:22:08 pm »
After doing some web-crawling, Man City fans seem happy and confident when they get Atletico.

BOTH two teams,  that I hate to face in Champions League game soon.

Do they know (or have experience) on how Atletico play? The talk of facing Real Madrid in semi (like it's already guaranteed) is everywhere.

Trust me, it's not like stroll in the park when facing Atletico Madrid in Champions League Quarter-Final tie.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1617 on: March 18, 2022, 12:22:26 pm »
The start of April for City has just become a bit tasty, Burnley A, AM H, us H, AM A, Wolves A all in the space of 15 days. Whilst on paper Burnley and Wolves should be easy I suspect that they will be pushed hard in both games.  We play Watford at home, then Benfica away before we play them. You would hope we would be fresh enough over those 2 games and be better going into the big game with them

Offline cissesbeard

• Kopite
« Reply #1618 on: March 18, 2022, 12:23:28 pm »
really happy with the draw - not because I think benfica are weak but mainly sick of playing city, chelsea, madrid. not played these guys for ages, will be 2 good games.

Offline fintanmar

• Main Stander
« Reply #1619 on: March 18, 2022, 12:23:30 pm »
Ay idea when the dates for the Quarter finals will be announced?

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #1620 on: March 18, 2022, 12:23:32 pm »
The start of April for City has just become a bit tasty, Burnley A, AM H, us H, AM A, Wolves A all in the space of 15 days.
Lovely

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1621 on: March 18, 2022, 12:23:56 pm »

Hopefully.

Worth remembering that if we didn’t put in what was possibly our worst half an hour or so of the season once we go 2-0 up at their place that we’d have probably comfortably won which we then did at Anfield.

If Atletico can dig their heels in and stop City from getting an early comfortably lead then yeah, they can wreck their heads over 2 legs but there is a chance that city just do to them what we did.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1622 on: March 18, 2022, 12:24:40 pm »
After doing some web-crawling, Man City fans seem happy and confident when they get Atletico.

Do they know (or have experience) on how Atletico play? The talk of facing Real Madrid in semi (like it's already guaranteed) is everywhere.

Trust me, it's not like stroll in the park when facing Atletico Madrid in Champions League Quarter-Final tie.
City are used to being the shithouse team that get away with everything. They will more than meet their match in thr regards against Atletico.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1623 on: March 18, 2022, 12:25:45 pm »

They avoided one of the main 4 who can realistically win it in Chelsea, Madrid, Bayern, Us so I do think they have a right to be happy in fairness.

I'd be confident of beating Atletico too if we got them, whilst also being mindful of the fact they can pull off an upset.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #1624 on: March 18, 2022, 12:27:39 pm »
Brilliant draw for us, and avoid the English sides until the final (pray we don't get one IF we make it that far but probably would)

Hope Atletico harrass the shit outta city
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1625 on: March 18, 2022, 12:30:30 pm »
Ay idea when the dates for the Quarter finals will be announced?

Hopefully we get Tuesday for the 1st leg, helps a little bit with travel and gives Ped less time to overthink things for the league game and their 2nd leg

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1626 on: March 18, 2022, 12:31:06 pm »
City are used to being the shithouse team that get away with everything. They will more than meet their match in thr regards against Atletico.
They avoided one of the main 4 who can realistically win it in Chelsea, Madrid, Bayern, Us so I do think they have a right to be happy in fairness.
I'd be confident of beating Atletico too if we got them, whilst also being mindful of the fact they can pull off an upset.

Cheers, mates!!! Let's hope the best for us, and glory for the Mighty Reds!!
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1627 on: March 18, 2022, 12:32:29 pm »
I'm delighted with that draw. Job to do vs Benfica first but what a semi-final if we get through - both teams gunning for number 7

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #1628 on: March 18, 2022, 12:34:07 pm »
Good draw for us though any team you play at this stage will have something about them.  In saying that you'd have wanted Benfica or Villareal given the choice. Both good teams but not at the level of the very best teams left in the competition.

Not tempted to mention semi final opponents too much until we've navigated the QFs but I do think it's good thing to have avoided the English club until the final (if we proceed).

City will be pretty content with their QF draw. Atletico were easily in the 3 weakest teams left in the competition. They just aren't the force they were in both a defensive or attacking sense. The best I think we can hope for is that Atletico make it difficult for City over 2 legs. My concern is that City blow them away in the 1st leg and have a bit of a procession to the SFs. 2 legs were City have to battle their way through would be a realistic hope for us. Puts pressure on the squad for the league games that come pre and post the CL QFs
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1629 on: March 18, 2022, 12:34:33 pm »
Couldn’t have gone any better.

I’m not arsed about the fact we’re probably going to have to beat Bayern to get to the final, at the end of the day if we get through to the semi-final then by that point you have to expect to be playing the best, but we’ll have managed to avoid it until the 2nd to last round which is as good as you can ask for.

Obviously there’s the potential for an all English final looming against 2 sides who you’d desperately want to avoid playing one against, but there is at least a fairly reasonably chance that either Atletico or Real knock them out which is about as good as you could ask for and, for me, preferable to having to put up with 2 legs against them.

Great draw and one to look forward to against Benfica.

Atletico could potentially play only English sides in the knock out stages all the way to the final: i wonder if this sort of scenario has happened before:

- R16 beat United
- QF face the other Manchester Club
- SF Potential match against Chelsea
- F Potential match against us..

Lots of ifs and buts.. but stranger things have happened in CL..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1630 on: March 18, 2022, 12:34:53 pm »

Mentally I think I'd much rather see them dealing with being knocked out of the CL as well as dropping points in the CL. They're a monotonous side. Once they get on a bit of a run, it feels almost inevitable that it'll end up with them winning 9/10+ games in a row. Plus I think, more than ever, its the one they REALLY want this season. The more little setbacks they get, the more likely it is that they'll have more (IMO)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1631 on: March 18, 2022, 12:37:33 pm »
Great draw for us - only thing you'd change is Bayern on the other side as they're most likely to knock out chelsea/city and wouldve been a great final

Don't agree Atletico is a bad draw for City think they'll handle them pretty easily

Offline NarutoReds

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1632 on: March 18, 2022, 12:38:45 pm »
Atletico could potentially play only English sides in the knock out stages all the way to the final: i wonder if this sort of scenario has happened before:
I hope they are going to bring out aaaalllllll of the dark arts available. Every single one them in the book. All of them!!!

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1633 on: March 18, 2022, 12:40:26 pm »
Of course the best thing about this draw is we won't have to hear PetertheRed jizzing over the possibility of us playing City 4 times in 2 weeks again :P

To be fair, it is a good draw. I would have liked for us to eliminate Man City ourselves, but at least Atletico Madrid will frustrate them and give them 2 tough games. I've always wanted a re-match with Real Madrid in the final, and it seems it might happen ;D

Quarter-final: Man City
Semi-final: Bayern Munich
Final: Real Madrid

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1634 on: March 18, 2022, 12:41:24 pm »
That'll do!

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1635 on: March 18, 2022, 12:42:23 pm »
Great draw for us - only thing you'd change is Bayern on the other side as they're most likely to knock out chelsea/city and wouldve been a great final

Don't agree Atletico is a bad draw for City think they'll handle them pretty easily

They may - but I am almost certain that Atletico will inflict some pain regardless of the result.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1636 on: March 18, 2022, 12:43:46 pm »

No one handles Atletico Madrid easilly ...

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #1637 on: March 18, 2022, 12:45:49 pm »
Checked Blueloon, they're pissed off but I had to come out cause they all keep saying "A thletico" and it was doing my head in.

Thick as shit.

They sing Champeones as well, they just don't have that European pedigree I guess...

Of course the best thing about this draw is we won't have to hear PetertheRed jizzing over the possibility of us playing City 4 times in 2 weeks again :P

;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1638 on: March 18, 2022, 12:46:54 pm »
City will most probably beat Atletico. But not before there are casualties. ;)
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1639 on: March 18, 2022, 12:47:08 pm »
No one handles Atletico Madrid easilly ...

2-0 after half hour, 70% odd possession, conceding no shots on target. I'm gonna say thats handled pretty easily.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.