Poll

What are your views on Kier Starmer's leadership of the Labour party to date?

Excellent
5 (1.9%)
Good
33 (12.7%)
Average
88 (34%)
Poor
46 (17.8%)
Awful
69 (26.6%)
Too early to say
18 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 259

Author Topic: Keir Starmer: your views?  (Read 94970 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: Keir Starmer: your views?
« Reply #760 on: September 23, 2021, 11:41:35 am »
You can print things off that appear on the Internet and rip them up, ask one of your grandchildren to do it for you x

Cheers I will do. But it seems like a bit a palaver just so I can tear the thing up. Not very green either.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #761 on: September 23, 2021, 11:50:24 am »
Cheers I will do. But it seems like a bit a palaver just so I can tear the thing up. Not very green either.

Set your printer to black and white print only

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #762 on: September 23, 2021, 12:12:41 pm »
Set your printer to black and white print only

Why white?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: September 23, 2021, 12:36:11 pm »
You can print things off that appear on the Internet and rip them up, ask one of your grandchildren to do it for you x

You're here without new polling results? ;D

Did a memo go out? Or is it like a Candyman thing with Keir Starmer (x3)?

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #764 on: September 23, 2021, 12:40:05 pm »
You're here without new polling results? ;D

Did a memo go out? Or is it like a Candyman thing with Keir Starmer (x3)?

At the risk of doing a Yorky, wouldn't they be here all the time, in the Keir Starmer thread, if that's what brings him to the forums?

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: September 23, 2021, 12:53:03 pm »
At the risk of doing a Yorky, wouldn't they be here all the time, in the Keir Starmer thread, if that's what brings him to the forums?

Mate, my shit joke is barely worth reading let alone analysing!

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #766 on: September 23, 2021, 02:34:07 pm »

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #767 on: September 23, 2021, 05:07:51 pm »
The section about the SNP is certainly being treated with the contempt that it deserves.

When is he and Labour going to learn that insulting those he is supposedly trying to win over isn't a great strategy?

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: September 23, 2021, 05:34:57 pm »
The section about the SNP is certainly being treated with the contempt that it deserves.

When is he and Labour going to learn that insulting those he is supposedly trying to win over isn't a great strategy?

A wee bit touchy there Elmo. No insults were thrown so far as I can see.

Labour and the SNP are rival parties and Scotland obviously cannot be reduced to the SNP. It's perfectly legitimate to have a go at the record of an SNP government, and that's all Starmer does. He has a go at the Conservative government too. I wouldn't expect anything less of a Labour leader.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: September 23, 2021, 05:43:37 pm »
A wee bit touchy there Elmo. No insults were thrown so far as I can see.

Labour and the SNP are rival parties and Scotland obviously cannot be reduced to the SNP. It's perfectly legitimate to have a go at the record of an SNP government, and that's all Starmer does. He has a go at the Conservative government too. I wouldn't expect anything less of a Labour leader.

What was touchy about it Yorky? Honestly I'm genuinely not arsed in the slightest.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: September 23, 2021, 05:45:37 pm »
What was touchy about it Yorky?

Assuming valid criticism of the SNP is insulting.

And perhaps even inferring (from the criticism) that he was attacking Scotland and not the SNP.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: September 23, 2021, 05:50:21 pm »
Assuming valid criticism of the SNP is insulting.

And perhaps even inferring (from the criticism) that he was attacking Scotland and not the SNP.

I didnt' mention Scotland.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #772 on: September 23, 2021, 05:51:36 pm »
Anyway I am off to the pub and then out for a meal. I might flesh out a bit what I mean later.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #773 on: September 23, 2021, 06:01:45 pm »
I didnt' mention Scotland.

No you didn't. I was trying to be kind to you. I couldn't imagine why anyone would find Starmer's comments about the SNP insulting and supposed you'd misread them as comments about Scottish people (a confusion slightly suggested by your insistence that Starmer's "insults" would never persuade Scottish voters to return to Labour).

Enjoy your meal!

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #774 on: September 23, 2021, 08:04:02 pm »
Anyway I am off to the pub and then out for a meal. I might flesh out a bit what I mean later.

Don't see any need myself. I got what you meant, or think I did, at least.

They haven't had a decent plan for Scotland in at least 7 years to be honest, and probably longer given the mess that has been made of it all.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #775 on: September 23, 2021, 09:13:40 pm »
No you didn't. I was trying to be kind to you. I couldn't imagine why anyone would find Starmer's comments about the SNP insulting and supposed you'd misread them as comments about Scottish people (a confusion slightly suggested by your insistence that Starmer's "insults" would never persuade Scottish voters to return to Labour).

Enjoy your meal!

So hands up, I haven't read the whole essay, I haven't had the time franky, even if I wanted to. I saw this excerpt.

This refusal to acknowledge any of the issues independence supporters have and just say you are the same as Tories. That is insulting, and frankly anyone who has actually spent time here would know that.

Look at the shitshow this country has become. Just the barest acknowledgement that we may just have a little bit of a point. And then actually come up with some ideas on how you plan to address the issues we have.

Regardless if you agree, if he genuinely wants to win back Scotland, this is absolutely not the way.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: September 23, 2021, 09:24:08 pm »
So hands up, I haven't read the whole essay, I haven't had the time franky, even if I wanted to. I saw this excerpt.

This refusal to acknowledge any of the issues independence supporters have and just say you are the same as Tories. That is insulting, and frankly anyone who has actually spent time here would know that.

Look at the shitshow this country has become. Just the barest acknowledgement that we may just have a little bit of a point. And then actually come up with some ideas on how you plan to address the issues we have.

Regardless if you agree, if he genuinely wants to win back Scotland, this is absolutely not the way.

Thanks for replying and showing me the bit that upset you.

I don't agree with you that it's insulting, but then again I have never voted for the SNP. I'm sure that Tories will be 'insulted' by his criticisms too. This is party politics. Partisans have thin skins.

The previous leader of the Labour party soft-pedalled on the SNP - partly no doubt because he was in sympathy with any group that disliked the Union, and partly because he couldn't bring himself to criticise any political force that, by reputation at least, was anti-austerity. It didn't do the Labour party any good at all. No self-respecting Scot was ever going to start voting for the Labour party when it cringed like that.

Starmer's choice, by contrast, is clearly to go on the offensive. He is a Unionist and that explains some of it. But he also senses that the SNP might be vulnerable to attack from the Left (Gordon Brown rather effectively put the boot in last week too).

I realise this line of attack might be a bit of a shock. But surely you can't keep calling it "insulting".

Is it effective? Perhaps you are right, and it will be counter-productive.  Then again, maybe the time is right for the SNP to get a bit of a boot. We'll see. 

PS He didn't say that the SNP and the Tories were "the same" he said their politics were "symbiotic". That is a very different thing. Hopefully, this will be understood by most Scots. Perhaps he should have not used such an obscure word. It would be unfortunate if others also misunderstood and were insulted as a result.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 09:29:29 pm by Yorkykopite »

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: September 23, 2021, 09:25:53 pm »
Thanks for replying and showing me the bit that upset you.

I don't agree with you that it's insulting, but then again I have never voted for the SNP. I'm sure that Tories will be 'insulted' by his criticisms too. This is party politics. Partisans have thin skins.

The previous leader of the Labour party soft-pedalled on the SNP - partly no doubt because he was in sympathy with any group that disliked the Union, and partly because he couldn't bring himself to criticise any political force that, by reputation at least, was anti-austerity. It didn't do the Labour party any good at all. No self-respecting Scot was ever going to start voting for the Labour party when it cringed like that.

Starmer's choice, by contrast, is clearly to go on the offensive. He is a Unionist and that explains some of it. But he also senses that the SNP might be vulnerable to attack from the Left (Gordon Brown rather effectively put the boot in last week too).

I realise this line of attack might be a bit of a shock. But surely you can't keep calling it "insulting".

Is it effective? Perhaps you are right, and it will be counter-productive.  Then again, maybe the time is right for the SNP to get a bit of a boot. We'll see.

Did he?
 :lmao

I hate to break it to you Yorky, but Broony is a laughing stock in Scotland these days.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: September 23, 2021, 09:28:08 pm »
Did he?
 :lmao

I hate to break it to you Yorky, but Broony is a laughing stock in Scotland these days.

He shouldn't be. But perhaps that's the way things are going in Scotland still. I hope for your sakes it isn't.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: September 23, 2021, 09:30:24 pm »
He shouldn't be. But perhaps that's the way things are going in Scotland still. I hope for your sakes it isn't.

Honestly, I think it is revealing the difference in what you are seeing to what is happening up here.

Gordon Brown lost all credibility in Scotland when he lied to the pensioners. When he promised near-fedralism, then spent the last 7 years trying to claim he didn't.

He is a spent force. He may still carry some political weight down south, but he is a parody, a laughing stock now.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: September 23, 2021, 09:32:36 pm »

So what, other than independence, addresses the issues you refer to? What are the issues you talk about, and what can be done now to address them?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #781 on: September 23, 2021, 09:34:15 pm »
Honestly, I think it is revealing the difference in what you are seeing to what is happening up here.

Gordon Brown lost all credibility in Scotland when he lied to the pensioners. When he promised near-fedralism, then spent the last 7 years trying to claim he didn't.

He is a spent force. He may still carry some political weight down south, but he is a parody, a laughing stock now.

OK. I'll defer to you on that one.

But I hope you now accept that Starmer did not argue in his essay that the Tories and the SNP were the "same"; merely that their politics were "symbiotic". A very different thing. Hence no need to be insulted.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #782 on: September 23, 2021, 09:44:07 pm »
OK. I'll defer to you on that one.

But I hope you now accept that Starmer did not argue in his essay that the Tories and the SNP were the "same"; merely that their politics were "symbiotic". A very different thing. Hence no need to be insulted.

It's insulting to boil it down to suggest we use nationalism to freely whip up fear. It's insulting to suggest we create division. That is not what the SNP is about. (To be clear I am not an SNP member as I have said before. My politics sit somewhere between the SNP,  the Scottish Greens and Labour).  It's insulting, and frankly childish to try and trivially try and suggest that the Scottish independence supporters are the exact same as all the worst nationalist movements. It fundamentally isn't (of course with any movement there are fringe elements).

The core indy movement is progressive, pro-immigration (unlike Labour a lot of the time), unequivocally pro-EU (unlike Labour a lot of the time) and outward looking.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #783 on: September 23, 2021, 09:48:45 pm »
Where there is an interesting contrast between SNP and Tory voters in how Starmer addresses them, and we're obviously not talking critiques of a governing party here, is that there's an acknowledgement for why voters switched to the Tories from Labour. There's nothing there for the Scots who went Labour to SNP. I think in some ways that speaks to the priorities of the next election. That need to retain and claw back English seats which is going to be a driven by messaging directly to 2019 English Tory voters (we're seeing the idea that there's a horde of lefty non-voters just waiting to be motivated to turn out being truly buried by recent research, and there's some very mildly encouraging signs in the detailed polling by seat type of Labour looking like they'll be 30 or so seats up on 2019 if things remain just as they are although that's still 30 short on undoing 2019). Partly why I'm thinking Starmer and his team are looking at incremental steps over several years here as a Labour government is going to be their aim and that ultimately has to mean winning Scottish seats unless there's a major shift in a number of very safe Tory seats. Of course, it also allows for decisions to be taken on how things look following the next election.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: September 23, 2021, 09:49:13 pm »
It's insulting to boil it down to suggest we use nationalism to freely whip up fear. It's insulting to suggest we create division. That is not what the SNP is about. (To be clear I am not an SNP member as I have said before. My politics sit somewhere between the SNP,  the Scottish Greens and Labour).  It's insulting, and frankly childish to try and trivially try and suggest that the Scottish independence supporters are the exact same as all the worst nationalist movements. It fundamentally isn't (of course with any movement there are fringe elements).

The core indy movement is progressive, pro-immigration (unlike Labour a lot of the time), unequivocally pro-EU (unlike Labour a lot of the time) and outward looking.

Fair enough. Although you do keep shifting the goalposts over why you're insulted!

For what it's worth I found Starmer's essay grey, shallow and badly written. But I'm astonished anyone was insulted.

Although people seem to get insulted all the time now, so maybe "astonished" is not the right word.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: September 23, 2021, 09:49:15 pm »

Labour would be all of these things if it could (see the last Labour government). But the electorate would permanently vote in the Tories. So it has to compromise where it can, so it can win power and do something.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: September 23, 2021, 09:50:40 pm »
Labour would be all of these things if it could (see the last Labour government). But the electorate would permanently vote in the Tories. So it has to compromise where it can, so it can win power and do something.

Well can you see why it gets a bit annoying up here?  :D

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: September 23, 2021, 09:52:02 pm »
Where there is an interesting contrast between SNP and Tory voters in how Starmer addresses them, and we're obviously not talking critiques of a governing party here, is that there's an acknowledgement for why voters switched to the Tories from Labour. There's nothing there for the Scots who went Labour to SNP. I think in some ways that speaks to the priorities of the next election. That need to retain and claw back English seats which is going to be a driven by messaging directly to 2019 English Tory voters (we're seeing the idea that there's a horde of lefty non-voters just waiting to be motivated to turn out being truly buried by recent research, and there's some very mildly encouraging signs in the detailed polling by seat type of Labour looking like they'll be 30 or so seats up on 2019 if things remain just as they are although that's still 30 short on undoing 2019). Partly why I'm thinking Starmer and his team are looking at incremental steps over several years here as a Labour government is going to be their aim and that ultimately has to mean winning Scottish seats unless there's a major shift in a number of very safe Tory seats. Of course, it also allows for decisions to be taken on how things look following the next election.

If there's a way for Scottish Labour to be all the things Elmo talks about, without it adversely affecting Labour in England and Wales, then they should. However, if the issue is unionism, and nothing short of independence will satisfy, then I'm not sure if there's room for compromise.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #788 on: September 23, 2021, 09:55:18 pm »
Well can you see why it gets a bit annoying up here?  :D

So what solution would you propose? I've received lots of criticism for describing the schism between factions in the Labour party, but I've also given concrete proposals for squaring the circle, which are realistic enough that they're practically identical to what current and former Labour MPs in the red wall say should be done. What would you say are the issues facing Scottish Labour, and what do you suggest should be done to address them?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: September 23, 2021, 09:56:08 pm »
Fair enough. Although you do keep shifting the goalposts over why you're insulted!

For what it's worth I found Starmer's essay grey, shallow and badly written. But I'm astonished anyone was insulted.

Although people seem to get insulted all the time now, so maybe "astonished" is not the right word.

I suppose to be fair, my general complaint is towards the Labour party over the years, rather than the specific words in this excerpt. It's just yet again we have another leader who just doesn't get it and resorty to infantile arguments that have never shown any sign of working.

As much as anything, politics aside, on a pure pragmatic level it reveals his severe limitations if he can't see that.

I'm not an ideological indy supporter. If I believed genuine change was realistically possible in my lifetime as part of the UK I could well change my mind. But time after time, the only party that has any realistic chance of doing anything and winning power just fails to grasp what is needed, or treat the complaints many of us have seriously.

(It would probably take PR and scrapping of HoL at a bare minimum to change my mind).

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: September 23, 2021, 09:57:03 pm »
So what solution would you propose? I've received lots of criticism for describing the schism between factions in the Labour party, but I've also given concrete proposals for squaring the circle, which are realistic enough that they're practically identical to what current and former Labour MPs in the red wall say should be done. What would you say are the issues facing Scottish Labour, and what do you suggest should be done to address them?

Competence is the number one issue. Just the slightest hint of it's existence would be a start.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #791 on: September 23, 2021, 09:58:30 pm »
I suppose to be fair, my general complaint is towards the Labour party over the years, rather than the specific words in this excerpt. It's just yet again we have another leader who just doesn't get it and resorty to infantile arguments that have never shown any sign of working.

As much as anything, politics aside, on a pure pragmatic level it reveals his severe limitations if he can't see that.

I'm not an ideological indy supporter. If I believed genuine change was realistically possible in my lifetime as part of the UK I could well change my mind. But time after time, the only party that has any realistic chance of doing anything and winning power just fails to grasp what is needed, or treat the complaints many of us have seriously.

(It would probably take PR and scrapping of HoL at a bare minimum to change my mind).

Why scrap the HoL when, in practice, it has done more to block the worst of the Tory governments' actions than the HoC?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #792 on: September 23, 2021, 09:59:00 pm »
If there's a way for Scottish Labour to be all the things Elmo talks about, without it adversely affecting Labour in England and Wales, then they should. However, if the issue is unionism, and nothing short of independence will satisfy, then I'm not sure if there's room for compromise.

Sorry, maybe I'm not expressing myself well tonight as my head's a bit fuzzy, but set that aside a moment as Scottish Labour and Welsh Labour having their own messaging (and policies at times). Starmer does talk about nationalism and gives a (clumsy but we all know what he's trying to distinguish between) left wing critique of nationalism becoming a prop to cover over failures in government. But what he doesn't do is actually address why people are moving towards that, nor how the politics of the SNP has changed over the years. Contrast with the acknowledgement that the Tories did change under Cameron, did present a different face, did make themselves presentable to the electorate etc.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: September 23, 2021, 09:59:21 pm »
Why scrap the HoL when, in practice, it has done more to block the worst of the Tory governments' actions than the HoC?

Shit things do good occasionally. It's fundamentally undemocratic, and the odd good turn doesn't change that.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: September 23, 2021, 09:59:49 pm »
Competence is the number one issue. Just the slightest hint of it's existence would be a start.

Would centrally appointed technocrats be better than locally elected incompetents? Eg. Liverpool.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #795 on: September 23, 2021, 10:03:10 pm »
Shit things do good occasionally. It's fundamentally undemocratic, and the odd good turn doesn't change that.

As I've stated in previous pages, with the electorate we have, how is democracy a fundamentally reliable principle in ensuring competent government? See the mayoralty of Liverpool. Over the past decade, the Commons has failed progressivism over and over, while the Lords has defended the checks and balances.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: September 23, 2021, 10:05:42 pm »
As I've stated in previous pages, with the electorate we have, how is democracy a fundamentally reliable principle in ensuring competent government? See the mayoralty of Liverpool. Over the past decade, the Commons has failed progressivism over and over, while the Lords has defended the checks and balances.

See comments on PR.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #797 on: September 23, 2021, 10:07:42 pm »
Sorry, maybe I'm not expressing myself well tonight as my head's a bit fuzzy, but set that aside a moment as Scottish Labour and Welsh Labour having their own messaging (and policies at times). Starmer does talk about nationalism and gives a (clumsy but we all know what he's trying to distinguish between) left wing critique of nationalism becoming a prop to cover over failures in government. But what he doesn't do is actually address why people are moving towards that, nor how the politics of the SNP has changed over the years. Contrast with the acknowledgement that the Tories did change under Cameron, did present a different face, did make themselves presentable to the electorate etc.

My take, as an Englander, is that I'd like progressivism to take another look and win another chance. But without the more leftward tendency of Scotland, there isn't much chance of us in England seeing that in my lifetime. I agree with all the things Elmo said about what he'd like Labour to be in Scotland. But we in England need Scotland, to even have the chance to be delivered from the Tories.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: September 23, 2021, 10:09:18 pm »
See comments on PR.

Could you expand? I've not been following the debate on PR, how it works out in practice with the UK electorate, and in particular how it relates to the HoL.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #799 on: September 23, 2021, 10:23:57 pm »
Local Government or MP's?
I'm not sure what your point is mate?