Author Topic: Phil Scraton - a truly remarkable and extraordinary Liverpudlian  (Read 90993 times)

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: Phil Scraton - a truly remarkable and extraordinary Liverpudlian
« Reply #160 on: April 16, 2022, 11:07:23 am »
Better than OBE any day. Great stuff all round.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #161 on: April 16, 2022, 11:09:42 am »
The actual moment in the Albert pub, Lark Lane when Jim gave it him. It was a privilege to be there.

Thanks for sharing this, John. What a tribute to an extraordinary Liverpudlian.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2022, 11:40:11 am »
The actual moment in the Albert pub, Lark Lane when Jim gave it him. It was a privilege to be there.

Brilliant that.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Speedy Molby

• Not as fat as his name suggests but is still a bad formby wool :)
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Satire? In Wigan?
« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2022, 10:46:22 pm »
Great to see that pic Jim, wonderful flag. Sorry I couldn’t be there with yourself and Phil.
I am alone now. I am beyond recrimination. The curtains have shut, the furniture has gone. I am transforming. I am vibrating. I am glowing. I am flying. Look at me now.

Offline PhilScraton

• Love and affection.....on the buses :) aka Fill Scratton.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Main Stander
« Reply #164 on: April 19, 2022, 01:44:29 am »
Thank you Jim, RAWK and all others involved. That it was given to me in my old local was particularly moving.

It's not often that I'm lost for words but I was on Thursday evening!

However, what has been achieved over the years is down to the tireless campaigns by the bereaved families, the survivors and campaigners who collectively have brought the truth to an international audience and have given other campaigns the encouragement and strength to fight venal and mendacious state and corporate institutions who do all in their power to avoid collective responsibility for their appalling failings. We never walk alone. In solidarity, Phil x
'Freedom is always and exclusively freedom for those who think differently' Rosa Luxemburg

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #165 on: May 9, 2022, 10:35:44 am »
Thank you Phil for your persistence and resilience. Keep seeking and speaking the truth. This is appreciated by reds all round the world.
We are proud and honored to have you in our corner, fighting for us. YNWA

Offline RAWK Meltdown #1

• "Assume they got our phones, assume they got our houses, assume they got us, right here, right now as we sit, everything. Assume it all..."
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • " When You Have To Shoot..Shoot...don't TIKI-TAKA"
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2022, 02:36:04 pm »
A fitting, well deserved tribute to a very special and much respected man and his endeavours in the pursuit of justice and disclosure for this club, it's maligned supporters....but most importantly, it's lost souls and their bereaved families!!

Good work guys!!

YNWA
YNWA

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: May 13, 2022, 09:21:52 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-61426890

QUB: Hillsborough disaster research 'world-leading'

Queen's University Belfast (QUB) research into the Hillsborough stadium disaster in 1989 has been judged to be "world-leading".

The disaster led to the unlawful deaths of 97 Liverpool fans in 1989.

Prof Phil Scraton received the top possible score for impact in the UK's national audit of university research.

The Research Excellence Framework (REF) is a UK-wide assessment which ranks research from over 76,000 academics at 157 universities.

It examines university research and can influence how much UK government research funding they will get in future.

Research is partially judged on how much impact it had on wider society beyond academia.

The results of the REF for 2021 - the first since 2014 - have just been revealed.

Prof Scraton's work 'Beyond Hillsborough: Inquests, Public Understanding of the Truth and Wider Significance' was one of four studies submitted by the School of Law at QUB.

The other submissions from the school included research on Northern Ireland's judiciary, dealing with the past and the role of 'grooming' in child sexual abuse.

All received the highest possible impact ranking in the REF denoting "quality that is world-leading in terms of originality, significance and rigour".

Ninety-seven Liverpool fans died due to overcrowding at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium on 15 April 1989 ahead of an FA Cup semi-final between the club and Nottingham Forest.

In 2016, new inquests concluded that 96 fans had been unlawfully killed.

Another victim, Andrew Devine, died in July 2021 and a senior coroner ruled he was the disaster's 97th fatality and therefore the conclusion was the same.

In 2021, South Yorkshire Police and West Midlands Police agreed to pay damages to more than 600 people following a cover-up in the aftermath.

Prof Scraton headed the research for the Hillsborough Independent Panel, whose 2012 report led to new inquest hearings into the deaths.

He has continued to work alongside the families of the victims and their legal teams and was research consultant and interviewee on the 2017 BAFTA award-winning documentary Hillsborough.

In their submission tothe REF, QUB said: "Professor Scraton's continuing, in-depth research into the Hillsborough disaster, accumulated over three decades and involving work with bereaved families, survivors and their legal teams, has had a direct and material impact."

Prof Scraton told BBC News NI that it had been a "long journey" to having the truth of what happened at Hillsborough widely accepted.

"Obviously I am pleased that my research has been recognised as being of national and international significance," he said.

"In celebrating this, however, I am conscious of the continuing suffering of the bereaved and survivors of Hillsborough.

"I began my work together with them in the immediate aftermath of the disaster, and wrote the initial research reports in 1990 and 1995.

"The formal records tell us that 97 men, women and children died as a consequence of institutional failures in the lead up to the 15 April 1989 and events on the day.

"That doesn't tell us the full extent of death and suffering, for many of those with whom I have worked have died prematurely, some taking their own lives.

"What this recognition demonstrates is that there is space within our universities to develop research that exposes systemic injustices in our society, that works alongside those who have endured those injustices, and that speaks truth to power."

Elsewhere in the REF, the Institute for Global Food Security and the School of Biological Sciences at QUB was ranked as the best for research in agriculture, food and veterinary sciences in the UK.

Ulster University, meanwhile, scored especially highly in enabling research in the allied health professions - dentistry, nursing and pharmacy - and in the impact of its research in subjects related to music, dance, drama, performing arts and film studies.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #168 on: October 31, 2022, 02:16:00 am »
Phil Turned down an OBE in protest

Of the crown and British Imperialism .

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #169 on: January 31, 2023, 07:40:23 am »
On Radio 4 now. Hope you can listen again.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #170 on: January 31, 2023, 02:25:50 pm »
On Radio 4 now. Hope you can listen again.

It is up on here mate (for now): www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001hp2f - and forward to 1:31:19 for when the subject starts.

^ Phil Scraton is on at 1:38:20 for 3/4 minutes - it is very much worth a listen to.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 02:38:46 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #171 on: January 31, 2023, 03:19:27 pm »
Phil has just been interviewed on LBC - Sheila Fogherty - pretty sure they have catch up, if anyone wants to listen.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #172 on: January 31, 2023, 04:58:43 pm »
Phil has just been interviewed on LBC - Sheila Fogherty - pretty sure they have catch up, if anyone wants to listen.
Link very much appreciated if someone can...?

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #173 on: January 31, 2023, 05:28:38 pm »
Link very much appreciated if someone can...?

www.globalplayer.com/catchup/lbc/uk/episodes/2zGu9SaVi5rgagMhXzh7kUZui1 - though a 'sign-in' / account is required (you can also log in with a facebook / apple / twitter account)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #174 on: January 31, 2023, 08:18:57 pm »
Thank you for the link.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #175 on: January 31, 2023, 08:25:53 pm »
🙏🏼

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #176 on: April 12, 2023, 02:40:46 pm »

I know the whole point of threads being pinned is that they won't get lost, but I have habit of looking straight passed the pinned stuff and so I missed this a year ago. That's a fantastic tribute.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #177 on: April 13, 2023, 01:11:26 am »
So did I,that's great and well deserved.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: May 3, 2023, 07:58:31 am »
Happy Birthday Phil, have a great day.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2024, 01:47:20 pm »
Seen this on Gareth Roberts timeline:

This should be a fascinating event re Hillsborough at
@edgehill with Phil Scraton - anything involving Phil always is.

Worth signing up as soon as you can as places are limited.

Tues 16th April

https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/event/97-hillsborough-disaster/