Author Topic: PL: Liverpool 0 v 1 Brighton Alzate 55’  (Read 36199 times)

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
Re: PL: Liverpool 0 v 1 Brighton Alzate 55’
« Reply #400 on: February 3, 2021, 11:26:13 pm »
Absolutely John...never heard him so animated
At least he enjoyed his soup.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: February 3, 2021, 11:27:19 pm »
You’d have to be daft to look at that defence tonight and expect a win. This seasons about top 4 and avoiding even more injuries that will drag into next season.
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #402 on: February 3, 2021, 11:27:55 pm »
Apart from a couple of his trademark turns, that was one of Gigi’s worst games. However Milner and Thiago weren’t that effective either.
I think midfield defines how a team plays and tonight there was very little in midfield; the Brighton midfield was very good at closing down and getting their foot in.

Up front there was very little movement. Nobody seemed to be dropping into space and dragging their defence around.

Maybe Henderson needs to go back into midfield and leave the defence to the new guys and/or Fabinho when he comes back.

But the malaise isn’t just with one area. We just look slow all over the pitch and there’s no real sign of us getting out of it. We had a couple of good games but tonight we were back to playing with little zip to our game.

We oscillate from playing well again to looking clueless.

It's time for a switch up against the low block. We need a totally different approach. The shape and strategy need to change.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2021, 11:31:15 pm by kasperoff »
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #403 on: February 3, 2021, 11:27:55 pm »
It looks so easy to defend against us right now.
I'm more baffled that we keep walking into the same bad habit every game. one time we got the dead ball line and cut it back the defence were spinning on their heels but we missed the shot, we need to go around the back more, little run off behind the line with a 1-2 move all that has gone, so predicatble come inside shoot at the first of 3 markers or whip it onto the head of a defender.

When can we expect the new lads to play? need Hendo Fab in the middle.
What is the script with Minamino ? if he isnt getting a game right now will he ever ?

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #404 on: February 3, 2021, 11:28:09 pm »
You’d have to be daft to look at that defence tonight and expect a win. This seasons about top 4 and avoiding even more injuries that will drag into next season.

What exactly did that defence do wrong?
Y.N.W.A.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #405 on: February 3, 2021, 11:28:47 pm »
Apart from a couple of his trademark turns, that was one of Gigi’s worst games. However Milner and Thiago weren’t that effective either.
I think midfield defines how a team plays and tonight there was very little in midfield; the Brighton midfield was very good at closing down and getting their foot in.

Up front there was very little movement. Nobody seemed to be dropping into space and dragging their defence around.

Maybe Henderson needs to go back into midfield and leave the defence to the new guys and/or Fabinho when he comes back.

But the malaise isn’t just with one area. We just look slow all over the pitch and there’s no real sign of us getting out of it. We had a couple of good games but tonight we were back to playing with little zip to our game.

We oscillate from playing well again to looking clueless.

Milner and Wijndldam were really poor

In their defence they've both started 4 or 5 in the row - which is an excuse for Milner especially as his recovery has been a problem for the last couple of years.

Frankly Jurgen's attitude to rotating his squad has been really odd given how much he complained about the schedule and how leggy we've looked.
Obivously is options are limited but sometimes you've got to play a lesser player and gain some freshness ... specifically its really hard to understand why Jones didn't start tonight for example 

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #406 on: February 3, 2021, 11:28:58 pm »
It looks so easy to defend against us right now.
I'm more baffled that we keep walking into the same bad habit every game. one time we got the dead ball line and cut it back the defence were spinning on their heels but we missed the shot, we need to go around the back more, little run off behind the line with a 1-2 move all that has gone, so predicatble come inside shoot at the first of 3 markers or whip it onto the head of a defender.

When can we expect the new lads to play? need Hendo Fab in the middle.
What is the script with Minamino ? if he isnt getting a game right now will he ever ?

He's at Southampton, Man!
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Online harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #407 on: February 3, 2021, 11:30:29 pm »

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: February 3, 2021, 11:31:04 pm »
Don't get me wrong, next season is going to be challenging too... But I just shrugged watching this today. We weren't good at all but we've been absolutely fucked over this season. Top 4 will be utopia.

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: February 3, 2021, 11:32:10 pm »
Not sure why Brighton got so much credit for playing football and attacking... I felt like they did very little before their scrappy goal. It was all men behind the ball.

I thought we lacked any imagination. We played into their hands every time. They defended excellently though, in fairness.

Worthy of the 3 points. Well done to them. With a bit of quality up front, they could do better.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #410 on: February 3, 2021, 11:35:42 pm »
He's at Southampton, Man!

f@ck me haha I missed that! Seriously ???

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #411 on: February 3, 2021, 11:37:37 pm »

Yet they did ok, including the keeper.

A succession of Managers have targeted Trent. Tonight, Potter decided to do it aerially. And it resulted in the only goal of the game.

So I disagree with your point - it wasn’t the defence that cost us. Brighton did a job on Fab and (early chance aside) Mo. Then our midfield didn’t fire. And even after all that, we were overall, worthy of a narrow win or at least a draw.

Brighton did well and defended their box with exceptional tackling, headers, anticipation and blocks.

But actually so did we.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Mozology

• Legacy Fan
  • FSG, spend some fucking money, miserable bastards
« Reply #412 on: February 3, 2021, 11:40:35 pm »
Never felt like we'd score almost from kick off.

In a weird way tonight highlighted what an amazing season Salah is having, to score 21 goals for a side with numerous problems is remarkable.

Probably hit 30+ by season's end

You just know we'll beat City on Sunday now that the title challenge is over, but we'll need the 3 points, Top 4 isn't a gimme.

Phillips had another good game.

Get Jota back and we can go far in the Champions League as long as we avoid Bayern.

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #413 on: February 3, 2021, 11:40:49 pm »
Am totally fucked off with that result and performance ..Same shit different day .it's actually getting boring .. getting mugged off by these low block.teams

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: February 3, 2021, 11:43:39 pm »

A succession of Managers have targeted Trent. Tonight, Potter decided to do it aerially. And it resulted in the only goal of the game.

So I disagree with your point - it wasn’t the defence that cost us. Brighton did a job on Fab and (early chance aside) Mo. Then our midfield didn’t fire. And even after all that, we were overall, worthy of a narrow win or at least a draw.

Brighton did well and defended their box with exceptional tackling, headers, anticipation and blocks.

But actually so did we.

Its not the defending its the compensation for the defenders that is a problem systematically in various parts of the pitch.

Online Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: February 3, 2021, 11:44:36 pm »
city made 5-changes for tonights game vs Burnley. We don't seem to using rotation effectively . I know we have injuries, but we have players that can share the load. Gini, Robbo, Thiago, hendo, trent, all showing signs of fatigue in tonights game..

do we need more quality in depth? how do city effectively manage it?

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: February 3, 2021, 11:46:37 pm »

Are you serious?  Or are you kidding?  The answer is pretty obvious.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: February 3, 2021, 11:47:59 pm »
city made 5-changes for tonights game vs Burnley. We don't seem to using rotation effectively . I know we have injuries, but we have players that can share the load. Gini, Robbo, Thiago, hendo, trent, all showing signs of fatigue in tonights game..

City couldn’t manage it if they had the amount of injuries we had.

We had no Van Dijk, Matip, Keita, Gomez, Jota,  Mane and Fabinho. With those available then you don’t see Milner or Wijnaldum or even Thiago, who has played loads since coming back from injury.

Even the likes of Firmino or Salah get a rest.

It all goes back to the amount of injuries we have.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #418 on: February 3, 2021, 11:50:50 pm »
You've got EURO 2021 being held during a pandemic that will further run players into the ground that have already been ran into the ground. And then we're losing how many players to the AFCON next season?  Mane, Salah, potentially Keita?

That’s no excuse, it’s not like only our players play in these tournaments or it’s a surprise when they take place even when they are rearranged.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #419 on: February 3, 2021, 11:52:36 pm »

Seriously?

I mean are you actually asking this.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #420 on: February 3, 2021, 11:54:50 pm »
do we need more quality in depth?

Yes. We need a small rebuild in the summer.

Offline JordanTremenderson

• Kopite
« Reply #421 on: February 3, 2021, 11:55:19 pm »
Firstly, well done to Brighton.  Superb, arguably the best team we have faced all season.  They didn't just defend deep all game.  Right from the off they pressed us aggressively at a very high tempo.  At times they were deep, but they were brave and very impressive & in Bissouma they have a star.  Never seen anyone get the ball off Wijnaldum as much as he did tonight.  He showed him no respect and when opposition players often drop off Gini, he just got right in his face.  Their goal was pretty lucky, but an excellent performance.  Don't think we deserved to lose, but we certainly didn't do enough to win either.

A team of our injured / unavailable players would beat our starting XI tonight.  Alisson, Gomez, Matip, VVD, Fabinho, Mane, Jota... That's our CBs and two of our most clinical players - out.  Our team should still have enough to win, but let's not forget that's a brutal list of injuries.

I didn't like Shaqiri on the right in the first half.  He doesn't have the pace to go on the outside.  But he can't cut inside as he's on his weaker foot.  It just didn't work at all.  Klopp rightly changed that at half time and it made a massive difference. Another problem in that first half was Salah was the only player offering the threat behind Brighton.  But Salah was also the one we needed to drop deep and start the chances.  Usually we have Mane to do it or Salah, they can take turns.  But when Salah did it, we had zero threat in behind as all Shaqiri, Firmino want to do is come towards the ball more often than not.  It was a bit like that vs West Ham, but Milner would make runs beyond the attack which would cause problems.  I'm guessing Milner still had a tight hamstring as he didn't offer that tonight, certainly in the first half.  In hindsight Jones probably would have been better if he wasn't fully fit (guess it's not hindsight if we knew that).

I don't think we can be too hard on the team.  We didn't just cross constantly, like we were guilty a few weeks ago.  We were probing, but only Mane looked capable of offering any penetration or threat.  Think that might be a touch harsh on Trent who did do it occasionally in that second half. Robertson really missed Mane ahead of him.

I feel our midfield look tired.  We've had three or four players playing a lot.  Haven't been able to freshen it up much due to the CB issues / Ox not looked great & injuries (Keita). 

I don't think much is wrong with the team.  We just need our players fit, especially Jota and Mane.  We can defend fine without our star CBs on the whole.  But the match winners are missed badly. 

We go again, Mane and Jota will transform us, Keita a huge boost as will the CB additions.

Not just saying this because of my username.  Thought Henderson was superb.  As a leader, in possession and defensively.  That ball he put through in the first half to Salah was brilliant.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2021, 11:59:34 pm by JordanTremenderson »

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #422 on: February 3, 2021, 11:55:36 pm »
Rinse and repeat. It's not a problem that's suddenly happened this season, it's been apparent for 4 years. The one issue is that Klopp has always struggled against this as his teams are not set up to get around the back.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: February 3, 2021, 11:55:48 pm »

If anything we need a smaller squad but with players who are reliable.

Online Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: February 3, 2021, 11:56:36 pm »
Seriously?

for discussion:  Jones should have got more than 10 mins tonight, yet we seem to playing players until they break down.

Online Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: February 3, 2021, 11:59:03 pm »
I think we need a goalscoring midfielder, as good as Bruno  :-X

Online rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #426 on: February 4, 2021, 12:01:41 am »

But actually so did we.

Even more pissing off looking at it that way

Brighton obv created nothing either but got a spawny goal.

We were in their box way more and got absolutely zero kind bounces like that

Burnley same again. Barnes boots it out the ground Amd makes sure he touches keeper. Pen

This season cannot surely be a shit sandwich the entire way through. At some point one of these games we’ll get the 1-0 off someones arse or something

Best chance of the entire game was in 3rd min, (maybe the Trent pullback to mo aswell) just cannot be missing them this season
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: February 4, 2021, 12:02:41 am »

Yeah I think we could easily lose 7 or 8 players in the squad and bring 4 or 5 in and be better off for it

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #428 on: February 4, 2021, 12:03:08 am »
for discussion:  Jones should have got more than 10 mins tonight, yet we seem to playing players until they break down.

Hindsight is a wonderful gift. My instincts are that Klopp hoped to scrape a win tonight, in order to put out as fresh and attacking team as possible against City. His gambling record recently is poor. It happens.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #429 on: February 4, 2021, 12:03:52 am »

Well I think that was always the plan. Small improvements in key areas rather than big changes. We thought the areas that needed strengthening were our front three so we brought in Jota but then he got injured so we may need further strengthening.

We brought in Thiago to give us something different in midfield but he looks like he needs more time.

We recently brought in 2 centre halves and to be honest I think they weren’t our first choices. We didn’t expect to be playing Fabinho and Henderson as our first choice centre halves.

In the summer I think we’ll have to bring in some different types of midfielders and at least one new forward. We’ll also have to offload all the players who aren’t going to come into the first team without a drop off in quality.

It’s also possible that either one of Gomez or VVD may not come back the same players and that would be very worrying.
#JFT97

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: February 4, 2021, 12:04:44 am »
Yeah I think we could easily lose 7 or 8 players in the squad and bring 4 or 5 in and be better off for it

I don’t think we need 4 or 5. Around 3 absolute maximum.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: February 4, 2021, 12:05:51 am »
Brighton well organized at the back. hounded our players in packs whenever they entered pen area. we had no answers, team lacked imagination and confidence. energy and enthusiasm drained away. 1 shot at goal at home against Brighton. need to speed up game with far more movement. if teams are going to pack their area then players need to know how to adapt. we seemed to be going through the motions rather than creating with imagination.
@David__Osland
Leaving the European Union has completely destroyed the Conservative Party. If that doesn't qualify as a concrete Brexit benefit, what does?

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: February 4, 2021, 12:06:09 am »
Hindsight is a wonderful gift. My instincts are that Klopp hoped to scrape a win tonight, in order to put out as fresh and attacking team as possible against City. His gambling record recently is poor. It happens.

You think Jones was going to start against City?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #433 on: February 4, 2021, 12:06:26 am »
I think we need a goalscoring midfielder, as good as Bruno  :-X

We don't set up to get goals out of our midfielders though.  Fernandes would be dropping into the fullback positions to cover them when they push on.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: February 4, 2021, 12:07:07 am »
Seriously?

Look at our actual squad if everyone’s fit.

Seriously, count everyone on our books, Ok Change Origi

The injuries we have is bizarrely being ignored countless times

Jurgen Klopp

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: February 4, 2021, 12:07:19 am »
I don’t think we need 4 or 5. Around 3 absolute maximum.

Centre back, two different midfielders and a striker for me Clive

Offline Knickers

• Dreams about being fisted by Thiago, followed by a good bone rattling.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #436 on: February 4, 2021, 12:08:39 am »
The lack of focus and effort by the attackers (particularly Salah and Firmino in this game) in important situations is frustrating. The amount of times they're not ready for a pass (from Thiago for example) and it just bounces off their foot is shocking. I'm sure they're fatigued both mentally and physically, but it's still hard to watch.

Online rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: February 4, 2021, 12:09:40 am »
Fabinhos season ended in midfield at Everton. It’s not fair on him or the team now

He’s now got to go with kabak and one of the others and get our midfield back

Tonight must show that

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #438 on: February 4, 2021, 12:11:33 am »
Buttery disappointing.

Teams coming to Anfield and just winning now. We’ve become so predictable
, so one sided. And it’s so easy to score against us.

Injuries and inconsistency  have completely crippled and killed us this season. I actually expected that result today.
YWNA

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #439 on: February 4, 2021, 12:13:34 am »

The quality of our squad is more the problem. The drop off is immense.

Tactics don't help either. Our full backs stay wide, whoever we play, but are isolated and when they face a 1 v 1, always either a) pass it back or b) cross from deep.

Nobody overlaps / underlaps. Ever. It's so unimaginative.

They had a 6'6" left back. Milk turns quicker than him, but nobody tried to expose him.