Author Topic: RIP Gérard Houllier 1947-2020  (Read 44766 times)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Re: RIP Gérard Houllier 1947-2020
« Reply #640 on: February 15, 2021, 11:59:25 pm »
Nicely done Timbo - a very fitting tribute to a wonderful man and no better place to have it   :thumbup

On a separate note......really hope this idea of a tribute game with Lyon comes off and becomes a regular event - that would be a truly lasting tribute.

You're very kind R. mate. And yeah it would be nice as regular pre-season perhaps.

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #641 on: February 16, 2021, 08:00:35 am »
Timbo's Goals, are you the guy who uploaded videos of Liverpool goals years ago with your name on them at the start? I remember downloading many off Limewire as a part of my Liverpool education growing up. Or did you get your username from there? :D
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #642 on: February 16, 2021, 10:41:44 am »
Timbo's Goals, are you the guy who uploaded videos of Liverpool goals years ago with your name on them at the start? I remember downloading many off Limewire as a part of my Liverpool education growing up. Or did you get your username from there? :D

I've sent you a pm mate.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #643 on: February 16, 2021, 11:14:25 am »
Lovely little piece Timbo, I hope you are still living well off the writing, although these days any digital work will do.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #644 on: February 16, 2021, 11:28:26 am »
One of RAWK's great wordsmiths. Lovely piece, Timbo my mate and the treacle toffee story had me chortling. Always a pleasure to read
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #645 on: February 16, 2021, 12:15:18 pm »
One of RAWK's great wordsmiths. Lovely piece, Timbo my mate and the treacle toffee story had me chortling. Always a pleasure to read

So true VBG!  Made yesterday a joy with my coffee - Ged and me, loved it :)
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: May 25, 2024, 09:45:02 pm »
Always makes me sad that GH is not on the kop flag of great Liverpool managers. I know he didn’t win a league title or champions league, but the role he played in modernising the club and making us a force again was massive.

Dunno why, but I’ve been reminiscing about Rafa and GH recently. Great Liverpool men … don’t get mentioned enough. Hope we get to see Rafa on LFC media one of these days … we never saw enough of GH. We should enjoy our legends whilst they are still alive
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #647 on: May 26, 2024, 12:50:51 am »
I think the only team to go through a season without losing a cup tie whilst playing in 3 cups
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #648 on: May 26, 2024, 01:08:20 am »
Always makes me sad that GH is not on the kop flag of great Liverpool managers. I know he didn’t win a league title or champions league, but the role he played in modernising the club and making us a force again was massive.

Dunno why, but I’ve been reminiscing about Rafa and GH recently. Great Liverpool men … don’t get mentioned enough. Hope we get to see Rafa on LFC media one of these days … we never saw enough of GH. We should enjoy our legends whilst they are still alive

Yes, great post and I agree.

Houllier single handedly modernised the club. Not to the extent of Arsene Wenger but his hands were also tied by an incompetent boardroom. Where Wenger had the forward thinking David Devin, we had the chump Rick Parry (who is quick to reiterate he has absolutely no responsibility whatsoever for selling to Hicks and Gillett. Absolutely none whatsoever, despite it being his bloody job to have done due diligence on them. Oh and he also throws Rafa under the bus for the facts ‘rant’, utterly shameless man).

So with such clowns above him, it’s all the more remarkable Houllier achieved what he did. He made best use of the talented youth and, until the last couple of years, was a dab hand in transfers. If a fish rots from the head (I.e. the board), Houllier certainly stymied that. And heck, we had a lot of fun too. I was always quite sad that he felt the need to emphasise his significance in winning in Istanbul, not because it was egotistical but because he thought he needed to legitimise himself in the eyes of some. Ged needn’t worry, he has his own unique and special place in the Liverpool legend alongside fellow legends, and for people like me who were kids at the time of his management, he was the architect of such wonderful and innocent memories, feelings of which firmly root me to the support of Liverpool today.

A fantastic manager, a fantastic man and a fantastic servant for the club.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 02:11:56 pm by mattD »

Offline KC7

• Anny Roader
« Reply #649 on: May 26, 2024, 12:30:44 pm »

Houllier single handedly modernised the club. Not to the extent of Arsene Wenger but his hands were also tied by an incompetent boardroom. Where Wenger had the forward thinking David Devin, we had the chump Rick Parry (who is quick to reiterate he has absolutely no responsibility whatsoever for selling to Hicks and Gillett. Absolutely none whatsoever, despite it being his bloody job to have done due diligence on them. Oh and he also throws Rafa under the bus for the facts ‘rant’, utterly shameless man).

So with such clowns above him, it’s all the more remarkable Houllier achieved what he did. He made best use of the talented youth and, until the last couple of years, was a dab hand in transfers. If a fish rots from the head (I.e. the board), Houllier certainly stymied that. And heck, we had a lot of fun too. I was always quite sad that he felt the need to emphasise his significance in winning in Istanbul, not because it was egotistical but because he thought he needed to legitimise himself in the eyes of some. Ged needn’t worry, he has his own unique and special place in the Liverpool legend alongside fellow legends, and for people like me who were kids at the time of his management, he was the architect of such beautiful and innocent memories, feelings of which firmly root me to the support of Liverpool today.

As we all know what finished Houllier and prevented him from becoming Wenger level was summer '02, and specifically Diouf over Anelka. Cheyrou and Diao just compounded that decision. We never kicked on, and regressed instead. Understood the reservations over Anelka due to his previous attitude issues, but he was an elite forward, the other fella was not. Not getting Duff was another blow. Duff Anelka Owen, that would have been tasty. We'd have challenged for sure.

It actually got quite toxic in his last season with many wanting him out. We did somehow finish 4th and get CL with 60 points I think it was, and we all know what happened in the next campaign. He did a great job on the whole.

Offline wipeman

• Boys Pen
  • JK: Welcome the new manager like you welcomed me
« Reply #650 on: May 26, 2024, 12:35:45 pm »

I thought that too when I saw the flag. He turned us back into winners.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #651 on: May 26, 2024, 02:03:33 pm »
Gérard Houllier gave us back our pride back as Liverpool supporters in 2001 and and brought the club forward culturally into the 21st century.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #652 on: May 26, 2024, 02:05:24 pm »
He should be on that flag alright

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #653 on: May 26, 2024, 02:06:41 pm »
Gérard Houllier gave us back our pride back as Liverpool supporters in 2001 and and brought the club forward culturally into the 21st century.

Similar to Shankly modernising a creaking club from 1959 onwards. Not as charismatic but he took a club which was mired in failure and took them to the next level.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: May 26, 2024, 02:20:23 pm »
He wasn't the same after his heart scare. Summer 02 had we signed duff and Anelka we probably would have won the league

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: May 26, 2024, 02:51:22 pm »
He wasn't the same after his heart scare. Summer 02 had we signed duff and Anelka we probably would have won the league

As someone who has undergone major heart surgery (at least I expected mine, his was out of the blue), I can confirm it changes you. I said at the time he was back at work too soon, he just wasn't ready for it. I saw Anelka with Moores at a mini Derby at Haig Avenue and thought he was signing, never ever understood why he didn't sign him and chose that useless diving lump Diouf instead.

2001 was a hoot
Jurgen YNWA

Online Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #656 on: May 26, 2024, 03:03:00 pm »

So with such clowns above him, it’s all the more remarkable Houllier achieved what he did. He made best use of the talented youth and, until the last couple of years, was a dab hand in transfers. If a fish rots from the head (I.e. the board), Houllier certainly stymied that. And heck, we had a lot of fun too. I was always quite sad that he felt the need to emphasise his significance in winning in Istanbul, not because it was egotistical but because he thought he needed to legitimise himself in the eyes of some. Ged needn’t worry, he has his own unique and special place in the Liverpool legend alongside fellow legends, and for people like me who were kids at the time of his management, he was the architect of such wonderful and innocent memories, feelings of which firmly root me to the support of Liverpool today.

Brilliant post.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #657 on: May 26, 2024, 03:03:29 pm »
@rob1966
Yeah he seemed a bit gaunter. He was back too soon. The Roma game was unreal but he didn't look well that night.

Anelka looked happy with us. I know he was moody but he seemed to fit in well. And he was the type who held his value and if it didn't work you'd find a buyer for a good feeling

Hated diouf with a passion

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #658 on: May 26, 2024, 03:50:01 pm »
Don't get the love-in for Anelka. 5 goals in 22 matches for us. To me he was the French Balotelli. Both seem to have a cult following for not doing much with their abilities.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #659 on: May 26, 2024, 04:41:29 pm »
Don't get the love-in for Anelka. 5 goals in 22 matches for us. To me he was the French Balotelli. Both seem to have a cult following for not doing much with their abilities.

because he played very well in that short stint.  He was far more talented than Balotelli.

But the problem is of course, would have have continued to work hard and behave himself if it was made a permanent deal. Maybe he would have for a year or two - that was his pattern at the time, couple good years, then off to another club.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #660 on: May 26, 2024, 04:45:53 pm »
Wasn't fit when he first came to us was he, then went on to get 37 in 89 for 115
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: May 26, 2024, 05:31:42 pm »
As we all know what finished Houllier and prevented him from becoming Wenger level was summer '02, and specifically Diouf over Anelka. Cheyrou and Diao just compounded that decision. We never kicked on, and regressed instead. Understood the reservations over Anelka due to his previous attitude issues, but he was an elite forward, the other fella was not. Not getting Duff was another blow. Duff Anelka Owen, that would have been tasty. We'd have challenged for sure.

It actually got quite toxic in his last season with many wanting him out. We did somehow finish 4th and get CL with 60 points I think it was, and we all know what happened in the next campaign. He did a great job on the whole.

No way we could afford Duff AND anelka, judging by the fees they went for, that would cost £30m and we spent less than 20m that summer.  As ever GED had financial constraints that meant winning the league was always likely to be beyond him, considering he was up and against Fergie and wenger in their prime.  Winning the CL was actually more likely, as proved by Rafa

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #662 on: May 26, 2024, 05:48:45 pm »

He was more than the goals though. Was it Newcastle at home he was unplayable. He’d left Arsenal too young, been underplayed at Real but by the time he joined us he was a much more mature, unselfish player. Diouf always felt like more of a gamble. Anelka went to City and while not setting the world on fire, he did more there to suggest he’d have been decent for us.

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #663 on: May 26, 2024, 08:39:10 pm »
Ged was a legend. Is a legend. Miss him
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #664 on: May 26, 2024, 09:03:57 pm »
Met him on a couple of occasions. An absolute gentleman who exuded warmth and humility.

One of the good guys.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: May 26, 2024, 09:06:21 pm »
A couple of years ago the Lyon owner said he wanted to make a bi-annual pre season friendly between us and Lyon for the Gerard Houllier Cup or something but nothing came of that. I hope it happens.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #666 on: May 26, 2024, 10:59:01 pm »
No way we could afford Duff AND anelka, judging by the fees they went for, that would cost £30m and we spent less than 20m that summer.  As ever GED had financial constraints that meant winning the league was always likely to be beyond him, considering he was up and against Fergie and wenger in their prime.  Winning the CL was actually more likely, as proved by Rafa
I don't want to sound like an oul lad. I don't know if you are older or younger than me (41) but we could have afforded it. 30m as you said for duff and Anelka. Lot of money back then I get that. Cheyrou, diouf and diao cost about 19m however if you recall I think all three were signed and then after that we had a deal wrapped up to sign lee bowyer for 9m. So that is 28m

So money was there. I am sure we would have stumped another 2m but we bottled it. The bowyer deal was sadly the best part of that window

he would have got goals. He just took time to get going. The signs were clearly there at the time. He would have got.us more than the 6 goals diouf got in 2 years.

In short diouf was a c*nt

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #667 on: May 27, 2024, 01:43:52 am »
People can remember what they want about Anelka. He had his moments.

But as I remember, besides his "ok" showing with us, his brother was his agent and caused problems with the club. I think his brother was more the reason Nic didn't sign with us. Some were disappointed, me I was nonplussed.

Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #668 on: May 27, 2024, 04:59:39 am »
People can remember what they want about Anelka. He had his moments.

But as I remember, besides his "ok" showing with us, his brother was his agent and caused problems with the club. I think his brother was more the reason Nic didn't sign with us. Some were disappointed, me I was nonplussed.

Yeah, i was wary of us signing Anelka at the time, he left Arsenal summer 99 [in a similar manner to the way Sterling left us], the transfer saga ran on & on through most of that summer, until Real eventually signed him. Anelka then left Real under a cloud after a season hence he got nicknamed le sulk, Anelka had talent but the baggage around him didn't help him.

Seem to remember Anelka was one of the main instigators of France spectacular meltdown at the 2010 world cup, think he got sent home over internal disciplinary breaches which led the rest of the France squad refusing to get of the team bus & train, France were subsequently knocked out in the first round days later.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 05:05:11 am by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #669 on: May 27, 2024, 10:34:22 am »
I don't want to sound like an oul lad. I don't know if you are older or younger than me (41) but we could have afforded it. 30m as you said for duff and Anelka. Lot of money back then I get that. Cheyrou, diouf and diao cost about 19m however if you recall I think all three were signed and then after that we had a deal wrapped up to sign lee bowyer for 9m. So that is 28m

So money was there. I am sure we would have stumped another 2m but we bottled it. The bowyer deal was sadly the best part of that window

That would have been only buying 2 players instead of 4 though.
I feel like that was always the problem under Houllier/Rafa - having to try to do more with less to catch up. 

Liverpool would have 30m and be trying to improve in 4 places. Meanwhile United would only be looking to improve 1 or 2 positions, and could go out and spend 30m on a World Class player and gamble a few million on young prospects.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: May 27, 2024, 11:17:19 am »
Quality over quantity

The left side of midfield was a weak point for us, in 02/03 we tried Diouf, Heskey, Cheyrou, Murphy, Gerrard, Riise and Smicer out there.

I would much rather we signed two top quality players than 3 duds and it would have been 4 duds I am sure with Bowyer, think we dodged a bullet there.

Offline bossjon

• Kemlynite
« Reply #671 on: May 27, 2024, 12:50:07 pm »
2000-2002 was some of the best times of ever being a red (at least for me who missed the 70s).
Some absolutely unbelievable games beside the European runs as well. We won over United 4 times in a row, the Everton derby in 2001, Leeds away in the cup, some really dramatic nights at anfield (2-2 against Chelsea in the run in 2001 and 1-0 the year after). Really found memories.

Then obviously some of the best nights ever at Anfield, Roma and Barcelona in 2000/2001, and then Roma again with Houliers return in 2001/2002. For me, those atmosphere topped anything we had under Jurgen, probably only beaten by Chelsea in 2005 and 2007 in modern times.

2002-2004 was a disappointment, we had a great spine with Hyypia-Carra-Didi-Gerrard-Owen and then some good English squad players in Murphy, Heskey and Fowler. But we needed 2-3 proper players to take the next step. The summers of 2001 and 2002 really let us down in terms of signings.
A 1995 McManaman or a 2019 Mane would probably be the best type of player for that team. Like Rafas team it lacked a bit of flair and pace to really be serial winners.

Overall he did a good job for us, great man.

Offline kop306

• Kopite
« Reply #672 on: May 27, 2024, 01:58:37 pm »
houllier was the most underrated liverpool manager

the squad that won the treble was one of the best we have ever had

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #673 on: May 27, 2024, 02:11:17 pm »
houllier was the most underrated liverpool manager

the squad that won the treble was one of the best we have ever had

you're gonna need a bigger boat
Jurgen YNWA

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #674 on: May 27, 2024, 04:50:35 pm »
00-01 season was beautiful from start to finish.

Only low point was that 4-3 game at Leeds, was gutted for days,  we got revenge and knocked them out of the Cup months later with a clinical performance.

That is the season that started Leeds demise this century, they needed that CL spot and a trophy to show after that reckless borrowed money splurge, it's why Danny Mills absolutely hates us. ;D

Thank you Gerard.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #675 on: May 27, 2024, 05:00:29 pm »
00-01 season was beautiful from start to finish.

Only low point was that 4-3 game at Leeds, was gutted for days,  we got revenge and knocked them out of the Cup months later with a clinical performance.

That is the season that started Leeds demise this century, they needed that CL spot and a trophy to show after that reckless borrowed money splurge, it's why Danny Mills absolutely hates us. ;D

Thank you Gerard.

I was listening to that game whilst lodged under a worktop in our kitchen trying to repair the washing machine.

Double pain in the arse that day.

Offline KC7

• Anny Roader
« Reply #676 on: May 27, 2024, 05:04:14 pm »
because he played very well in that short stint.  He was far more talented than Balotelli.

But the problem is of course, would have have continued to work hard and behave himself if it was made a permanent deal. Maybe he would have for a year or two - that was his pattern at the time, couple good years, then off to another club.

Agree, the goal numbers are misleading as his performances were really good.

Newcastle at home he was frightening. They couldn't live with him. 3-0, he didn't score, but was the best player on the pitch.

Played more like a winger during that spell. More you think about him, Duff and Owen as the front three, mouthwatering.

We were worried about his attitude though, "le sulk" I think he was dubbed, but when you see his career after that he was not an issue. Duff I think it was down to money. He was a Liverpool fan and would have jumped at the chance. Just come off a World Cup where he was outstanding, he was one of the best wingers in the world at that point.

That window effectively ended the progress of Houllier and finished off our title aspirations. Had it gone the other way we'd have looked back on him the way Arsenal do Wenger.

Offline KC7

• Anny Roader
« Reply #677 on: May 27, 2024, 05:20:38 pm »
That would have been only buying 2 players instead of 4 though.
I feel like that was always the problem under Houllier/Rafa - having to try to do more with less to catch up. 

Liverpool would have 30m and be trying to improve in 4 places. Meanwhile United would only be looking to improve 1 or 2 positions, and could go out and spend 30m on a World Class player and gamble a few million on young prospects.

Dudek
Finnan Hyppia Carra Riise
Gerrard Hamann Duff
Anelka Heskey Owen

That front three played against Newscastle.

"Liverpool controlled from the start, and the pace of Anelka illuminated an Anfield that was in gloom earlier."

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/1849417.stm

I think we would have romped home the following season. Too much pace and constant running in that team for teams to cope (from three and Duff and Gerrard). Both full backs too.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #678 on: May 27, 2024, 07:35:31 pm »
That Tranmere FA Cup tie was brilliant, Houllier picked a all British starting 11 for that match i recall, proper blood and thunder game that.

Tranmere had knocked out Spurs the previous round.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #679 on: May 27, 2024, 07:44:43 pm »
That Tranmere FA Cup tie was brilliant, Houllier picked a all British starting 11 for that match i recall, proper blood and thunder game that.

Tranmere had knocked out Spurs the previous round.

Think we maybe still played Sami and possibly Henchoz but we definitely just went out there, stood up to the physics stuff and let our superiority do the rest. Watched that in Koh Samui. Loved that season. :D