Author Topic: Sexual abuser & crook Donald Trump convicted  (Read 402742 times)

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
Re: Legal repercussions for Trump and his cabal
« Reply #1800 on: June 3, 2021, 03:27:01 pm »
Lindell's social media platform, set up because Lindell didn't agree with comments being censored, will ban swearing, blasphemy and content deemed sexual in nature.

Cancel culture is a-okay when you're the one who gets to do the 'cancelling'.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1801 on: June 3, 2021, 05:46:14 pm »
I genuinely think America is on the cusp of something big. And not in a good way.

30-40% of Americans have proven themselves to be genuinely batshit crazy. Not your crazy uncle at Thanksgiving crazy, but armed to the teeth and ready to go out and shoot up a public place crazy. You have a major political party - one of just two - that peddles in lies, conspiracies and everything in between. I used to think it was about money. About grifting. But then I look at people like Rudy Giuliani, Mike Lindell, Sidney Powell and Mike Flynn. A ton of others too of course. They're not there for the grift. They're just genuinely insane people who need serious medical help. Trump is a grifter. That's been his whole life. But how he's managed to deceive as many people continues to baffle the mind. Or perhaps it's not even about Trump anymore. It's about what he's manged to bring to the forefront.

They literally want another armed insurrection. A coup. Nearly half of Americans just aren't interested in having a democracy. America as we know it is going down the shitter. I hope I'm wrong but I just have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that a make-or-break moment in American society, politics and culture is coming. Something very, very bad could be on its way over the next couple of years.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1802 on: June 3, 2021, 10:14:41 pm »
I genuinely think America is on the cusp of something big. And not in a good way.

30-40% of Americans have proven themselves to be genuinely batshit crazy. Not your crazy uncle at Thanksgiving crazy, but armed to the teeth and ready to go out and shoot up a public place crazy. You have a major political party - one of just two - that peddles in lies, conspiracies and everything in between. I used to think it was about money. About grifting. But then I look at people like Rudy Giuliani, Mike Lindell, Sidney Powell and Mike Flynn. A ton of others too of course. They're not there for the grift. They're just genuinely insane people who need serious medical help. Trump is a grifter. That's been his whole life. But how he's managed to deceive as many people continues to baffle the mind. Or perhaps it's not even about Trump anymore. It's about what he's manged to bring to the forefront.

They literally want another armed insurrection. A coup. Nearly half of Americans just aren't interested in having a democracy. America as we know it is going down the shitter. I hope I'm wrong but I just have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that a make-or-break moment in American society, politics and culture is coming. Something very, very bad could be on its way over the next couple of years.

Like the woman yesterday out on a bike ride with her toddler and husband,a 6 month old pup ran out of a door,the owner was running after it but the woman saw it and started shooting.

Shot her own fucking kid. (Texas)
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1803 on: June 3, 2021, 10:33:25 pm »

You can see where this is going, Trump is now upping his fight to evade justice.
Reports on TV are saying Trump says he can be President by August, am sure many believe him and am sure Trump wants this belief to grow rapidly.
Trump knows criminal charges are likely this year. he is building up his nutty fans into believing him when he says the deep state are bringing charges to stop him from being President, they stole the election off him and they are now trying to send him to prison to stop him being President again.
Chris Bryant

It feels as if the major from Fawlty Towers has taken over the Tory campaign.
10:42 PM · May 25, 2024
·

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1804 on: June 3, 2021, 11:03:13 pm »

It's the most high profile and obvious powder keg, but it's not just the US. Societal divisions that sprang up in Brexit's wake in the UK are still entrenched, and the Tories are aping the US Right in trying stoke up a culture war to keep the people at each other's throats. Increased numbers of countries around the world have dangerous leaders pushing illiberal policies marginalising parts of their population (and more than just the normal lot like NK). I've said before that I don't see how you can draw a parallel of recent developments to any period of world history that didn't end in outright catastrophe. Once the genie is out of the bottle, the momentum just carries things onwards.

To return to the US, I think the key thing of the last 4 months is the utter and abject failure to come to any sort of terms over Jan 6. Trump lit the fuse and escaped censure. An official investigation has been shot down. Even though many arrests have been made, I've read articles that indicate that in most cases the insurrectionists will avoid a custodial sentence (and if they don't it's only the footsoldiers). A clear message has been sent to the alt-right that they've got a free run to go again, in some new form. It barely matters what level of treason they attempt as their allies in congress will throw up any sort of smokescreen needed. And anyway, the gamble is worth it - the prize is power itself (and let's not pretend that a Trump returned to power via coup is going to respect term limits, or set election dates or the like).

-------------------------

On a related note, I've spent a bit of time reading accounts from people who have lost family members to the various Q nonsenses. What they've been told etc. The current belief is that the coup is set for August, and that the global banking syndicate is being taken down and replaced by a new financial system that is going to erase all debt, and refund all tax paid over your lifetime (plus a dividend). Children, siblings and spouses are in utter despair watching their loved ones rack up credit card debt etc expecting their obligations to pay to disappear in a matter of weeks.

I honestly don't know what can be done to deprogram this, it must be the greatest level of cult indoctrination in history.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1805 on: June 3, 2021, 11:08:08 pm »

I agree. There are more than a sizeable amount of people in the US who are red-pilled enough and want another insurrection or similar it won't surprise me if it happens again, although I feel it's not necessarily imminent. In the meantime, the likes of Flynn etc are doing their little QAnon and/or MAGA circuits across the country spreading their stupidity. I do think it's a mixture of them having some sort of weird God complex and belief in 'the deep state' but also them doubling-down on these theories as they know it's their last shot at fame/money/notoriety.

But the reality is the UK is a cult-personality away from being pretty similar. There's not so much 'conspiracies' here but flat out lies, misreporting and misinformation. There is a growing number of red-pilled conservatives here too. Modi, Bolsonaro and others all sing from similar populist hymn sheets. Truly worrying.
YNWA.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1806 on: June 4, 2021, 05:56:13 pm »

Are you being hyperbolic or do you really and truly believe there's roughly 100-130 million Americans that fall into this category?
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1807 on: June 4, 2021, 06:58:38 pm »
Are you being hyperbolic or do you really and truly believe there's roughly 100-130 million Americans that fall into this category?

No, I'm not being hyperbolic. The actual number may be lower than that of course, but at least a third if not more of Americans genuinely believe that the election was stolen. A good portion of those are armed and ready to repeat January 6th x1000.

I understand that living in Texas and being surrounded by these sorts of loons on a daily basis who are otherwise "good people" may alter your perception of reality when it comes to this very issue, but that's just the truth.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1808 on: June 4, 2021, 08:49:47 pm »

I understand that living in Texas and being surrounded by these sorts of loons on a daily basis who are otherwise "good people" may alter your perception of reality when it comes to this very issue, but that's just the truth.

If that's your "understanding", then I'd really question if you have any understanding of the real situation at all.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2021, 08:55:32 pm by Lone Star Red »
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1809 on: June 4, 2021, 10:20:46 pm »
No, I'm not being hyperbolic. The actual number may be lower than that of course.

:D

It's just easier to say "Yes, I'm being hyperbolic."

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1810 on: June 4, 2021, 10:31:49 pm »
Two thirds of Republican voters believe the election results were fraudulent in some way.  Republican legislators pushed that lie off the back of Trump so they would have an excuse to enact voter suppression laws under the guise of transparency.

There is a dangerous appeal to the mentally unstable to keep this thing energised; and there is a concerted effort to rewrite history over January 6th and tell the people not to believe what they saw with their own eyes. Whether this extends to an orchestrated attempted to incite further violence is unknown - but judges have already warned that continuing to push this big lie over the election result will almost certainly result in more violence.

The GOP's hands are soaked in blood, and there's no reasoning with them.  The only realistic hope is to peel enough disgusted supporters off to become independents.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1811 on: June 5, 2021, 12:01:56 am »
:D

It's just easier to say "Yes, I'm being hyperbolic."

I'm pretty sure you'd have called me hyperbolic if in November/December of 2020 I had told you that white Republican terrorists would storm the Capitol looking for blood the following January. There's nothing hyperbolic about the situation America finds itself in or the number of loons that believe a cult leader who thinks that a violent coup needs to take place in order to remove a legitimately elected President.

Anybody who underestimates this situation should do so at their own peril.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1812 on: June 5, 2021, 11:19:37 am »
I'm pretty sure you'd have called me hyperbolic if in November/December of 2020 I had told you that white Republican terrorists would storm the Capitol looking for blood the following January. There's nothing hyperbolic about the situation America finds itself in or the number of loons that believe a cult leader who thinks that a violent coup needs to take place in order to remove a legitimately elected President.

Anybody who underestimates this situation should do so at their own peril.
Caligula,

Exchange 'hyperbolic' with 'exaggerated' - and you will understand that to suggest that '30-40% of Americans [...] [are] ready to go out and shoot up a public place', is indeed a hyperbolic statement - an extreme exaggeration. However, this does not make your statement necessarily 'wrong' - it should have been understood to be obvious hyperbole. Hyperbole in the right situation can be useful in making persuasive argument or maybe make people stop and think for a moment.

My reading of Yorky's comment to you is that your statement was hyperbolic and the better course of action would be to simply own up to it or even own it! (Irrespective, this reflects my view). Because the deeper truth is that 30-40% of Americans supporting Trump after everything which has occurred is indeed batshit crazy.

And, yes, a quite worrying very large number of gun-toting Trumpers (if provided with enough confidence) - and more than most of us might guess - would indeed shoot up the place. It's just not 30-40% of the population, is it.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1813 on: June 5, 2021, 12:08:15 pm »
I keep thinking about the Nazi playbook.

Blaming the government for stabbing the German people and its army in the back over WW1; painting the Jewish people as a bogeyman to unite the people and give them someone to hate; using every trick in the book to paralyze the existing democratic system; creating ideology that involved book burning, rejection of science etc; the indoctrination of the education system etc; new, restrictive, discriminatory laws.

Call it hyperbole, but I see many parallels.

Popcorn's Art

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1814 on: June 5, 2021, 01:27:21 pm »

Blaming the government for stabbing the German people and its army in the back over WW1; painting the Jewish people as a bogeyman to unite the people and give them someone to hate; using every trick in the book to paralyze the existing democratic system; creating ideology that involved book burning, rejection of science etc; the indoctrination of the education system etc; new, restrictive, discriminatory laws.

I would call Trump and many Republican politicians Fascist, every word of the following can be proven beyond doubt, Trump is a corrupt racist narcissistic psychopathic Fascist who has now gone down as the worst President in history, he is a traitor.  I don't think I could argue Trump/Republican politicians are Nazis though, not that your calling them Nazis, I agree about the Nazi ideology being a growing problem in the US today but I think the CTs influence is more to blame especially the people behind sites like Qanon, the US needs to find out who these people are, they may well be close to the Trump/Republican politicians.if that's the case then we are entitled to call them what they are, Nazi supporters.
2 things really annoy me about many people in the US, it also applies to people in the UK, it was brought up on a thread only this week, people have been scared into fearing a none existent radical left threat while being completely oblivious to the very real danger of the radical right, the radical right are the most serious threat to the US right now not the left, IMO. the radical left has never been a serious threat in the US, I maybe wrong but I think theres always been more people who support Nazi ideology in the US than extreme left wingers, there's certainly more today anyway, one things for sure, there are 10s of millions of people supporting fascism. like all fascists they consider themselves patriots, they are Fascists, anyone who supports overturning a democratically elected government with in a coup is a fascist.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2021, 01:30:51 pm by oldfordie »
Chris Bryant

·

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1815 on: June 5, 2021, 06:05:41 pm »

It's not at all hyperbole. Parallels can be drawn in multiple ways. Look at what they're doing now. Fake audits and restrictive voting laws are being passed all over the place. It's all part of their plan for the long-run and everyone's on board.

After non-stop crying that the 2020 election was stolen without a shred of evidence, they're actively working to try and really steal an election. Months of lies after lies about the 2020 election so they've decided to steal an actual election of their own. It begins with 2022. They're disenfranchising voters and passing laws which in theory could make it possible to overturn an election result if they end up not liking that result. We're in uncharted territory.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2021, 06:07:17 pm by Caligula? »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1816 on: June 5, 2021, 07:16:57 pm »
I would call Trump and many Republican politicians Fascist, every word of the following can be proven beyond doubt, Trump is a corrupt racist narcissistic psychopathic Fascist who has now gone down as the worst President in history, he is a traitor.  I don't think I could argue Trump/Republican politicians are Nazis though, not that your calling them Nazis, I agree about the Nazi ideology being a growing problem in the US today but I think the CTs influence is more to blame especially the people behind sites like Qanon, the US needs to find out who these people are, they may well be close to the Trump/Republican politicians.if that's the case then we are entitled to call them what they are, Nazi supporters.
2 things really annoy me about many people in the US, it also applies to people in the UK, it was brought up on a thread only this week, people have been scared into fearing a none existent radical left threat while being completely oblivious to the very real danger of the radical right, the radical right are the most serious threat to the US right now not the left, IMO. the radical left has never been a serious threat in the US, I maybe wrong but I think theres always been more people who support Nazi ideology in the US than extreme left wingers, there's certainly more today anyway, one things for sure, there are 10s of millions of people supporting fascism. like all fascists they consider themselves patriots, they are Fascists, anyone who supports overturning a democratically elected government with in a coup is a fascist.

I'd say most Republicans don't believe a word of it. But they know it works, so they're running with it, which is just as bad.

Popcorn's Art

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1817 on: June 5, 2021, 09:23:13 pm »
I assumed after the coup attempt Trump would've been arrested or even in jail by now.  However, by all accounts he's becoming more deranged as he festers at home (relatively luxurious as it is), still unable to accept his election defeat.  The recent ban confirmation from FB has wound him up even more.  He's effectively starved of oxygen in that respect.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/05/trump-tech-companies-facebook-ruling-485434

Maybe by letting him stew at home in some sort of deranged rage is the best temp punishment, followed by some sort of prosecution at a later date.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1818 on: June 5, 2021, 10:15:27 pm »
It takes time to build cases, and unfortunately Donald Trump has a lot of cases against him.  Or fortunately.

SDNY has been going on the longest, and is the closest to seeing the first results.  All we can do is see what happens.  But McGhan recently testified, so the federal case is building.

Popcorn's Art

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1820 on: June 6, 2021, 10:34:43 am »
I assumed after the coup attempt Trump would've been arrested or even in jail by now.  However, by all accounts he's becoming more deranged as he festers at home (relatively luxurious as it is), still unable to accept his election defeat.  The recent ban confirmation from FB has wound him up even more.  He's effectively starved of oxygen in that respect.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/05/trump-tech-companies-facebook-ruling-485434

Maybe by letting him stew at home in some sort of deranged rage is the best temp punishment, followed by some sort of prosecution at a later date.
In case you missed it:

https://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-makes-policy-changes-after-trump-ban-what-you-need-to-know/

The problem with extending the ban until 'at least 2023' is that Trump can make a potential return to the platform in the run up to the presidential elections.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1821 on: June 6, 2021, 11:35:07 am »
In case you missed it:

https://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-makes-policy-changes-after-trump-ban-what-you-need-to-know/

The problem with extending the ban until 'at least 2023' is that Trump can make a potential return to the platform in the run up to the presidential elections.

Fb maybe assuming (hoping) he’s well out the picture by then (jail or other), but hedging bets nonetheless.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1822 on: June 6, 2021, 12:28:43 pm »
Fb maybe assuming (hoping) he’s well out the picture by then (jail or other), but hedging bets nonetheless.

Basically the strategy adopted by most mainstream Republicans. They continue to indulge this evil madman even as they cross their fingers that the judicial system will take him down.

Still, where's the harm in it, eh?

Popcorn's Art

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1823 on: June 6, 2021, 01:10:58 pm »
Basically the strategy adopted by most mainstream Republicans. They continue to indulge this evil madman even as they cross their fingers that the judicial system will take him down.

Still, where's the harm in it, eh?
I am in little doubt that if Trump runs again in 2023, Facebook will reverse the suspension of his account. They justify it on some flaky 'supporting democracy' grounds. It should be noted that even if Trump is jailed in the interim, the prevailing legal opinion is that upon an (unlikely?) Trump victory, he will be released from prison. I think this reasoning (or threat) alone would encourage Facebook to allow him to again have access to his account.

When are Facebook (I mostly mean Zuckerburg) going to face up to Facebook (in how it is organised and operated) is equal to Trump in its threat to democracy? I suspect, never. I have never found Zuckerburg to be engaging - he's a shallow thinker.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1824 on: June 6, 2021, 01:25:18 pm »
I am in little doubt that if Trump runs again in 2023, Facebook will reverse the suspension of his account. They justify it on some flaky 'supporting democracy' grounds. It should be noted that even if Trump is jailed in the interim, the prevailing legal opinion is that upon an (unlikely?) Trump victory, he will be released from prison. I think this reasoning (or threat) alone would encourage Facebook to allow him to again have access to his account.

When are Facebook (I mostly mean Zuckerburg) going to face up to Facebook (in how it is organised and operated) is equal to Trump in its threat to democracy? I suspect, never. I have never found Zuckerburg to be engaging - he's a shallow thinker.

I'm not a Facebook fan but they have banned him as he was a risk to public safety. In 2 years time if they feel he's still a threat they'll have to maintain the ban.

"If we determine that there is still a serious risk to public safety, we will extend the restriction for a set period of time and continue to re-evaluate until that risk has receded."
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1825 on: June 6, 2021, 02:02:34 pm »
Someone gave trumpy mccuntface the idea to run as a senator in florida and then go for speaker of the house.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1826 on: June 6, 2021, 02:09:32 pm »
Someone gave trumpy mccuntface the idea to run as a senator in florida and then go for speaker of the house.

He'd see it as a demotion and he couldn't handle being forced to actually turn up for work on a schedule.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1827 on: June 6, 2021, 02:11:46 pm »
He'd see it as a demotion and he couldn't handle being forced to actually turn up for work on a schedule.

The idea of replacing Pelosi though, his reply was "Interesting, very interesting..."

It would also allow him to run in 2022 and not have to wait to 2024

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1828 on: June 6, 2021, 02:19:38 pm »

Senate, or Congress? He can't replace Pelosi as a senator, only McConnell as GOP leader.

Can he even do that though? I thought after someone has served as President, the highest public office, that they cant drop back down again? That's why someone like McConnell wields real power - because presidents come and go, but as a senator you can sit indefinitely because there's no term limits.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1829 on: June 6, 2021, 02:40:11 pm »
Senate, or Congress? He can't replace Pelosi as a senator, only McConnell as GOP leader.

Can he even do that though? I thought after someone has served as President, the highest public office, that they cant drop back down again? That's why someone like McConnell wields real power - because presidents come and go, but as a senator you can sit indefinitely because there's no term limits.

"Why not, instead of waiting for 2024, and I'm hoping you'll run in 2024 but why not run in 2022 for the United States Congress? A House seat in Florida. Win big. Lead us to a dramatic landslide victory. Take the House by 50 seats. And then you become the Speaker of the House, lead the impeachment of Biden and start criminal investigations against Biden. You'll wipe him out for this last two years," Root said with excitement.

Even if Trump chose to run for a House seat in 2022, he would have to win that race and Republicans would have to take control of the House of Representatives for him to have a shot at becoming speaker of the legislative chamber. Currently, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, a California Republican, is seen as the frontrunner to become speaker if GOP candidates successfully flip the House in the midterm elections.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1830 on: June 6, 2021, 03:07:11 pm »
Ah right. Just found this on wikipedia, re the 22nd Amendment:

The amendment prohibits anyone who has been elected president twice from being elected again. Under the amendment, someone who fills an unexpired presidential term lasting more than two years is also prohibited from being elected president more than once.   

Seems Trump can run for another office because he's only served a single term as president; but if he does, then he wont be able to run for president again.

Would almost be worth it to watch him primary Matt Gaetz. Imagine his face when his idol fucks him over. The downside is we'd never get rid of him until he's physically arrested.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1831 on: June 6, 2021, 03:33:06 pm »
Ah right. Just found this on wikipedia, re the 22nd Amendment:

Seems Trump can run for another office because he's only served a single term as president; but if he does, then he wont be able to run for president again.

Would almost be worth it to watch him primary Matt Gaetz. Imagine his face when his idol fucks him over. The downside is we'd never get rid of him until he's physically arrested.

What's classed as an "unexpired presidential term"

Just sounds like something happened during a presidential term.

Doesn't sound like another political position to me.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1832 on: June 6, 2021, 03:35:09 pm »
If you were VP, and the president died, you might serve two years as president before then going on to win two elections. 

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1833 on: June 6, 2021, 03:51:39 pm »
What's classed as an "unexpired presidential term"

Just sounds like something happened during a presidential term.

Doesn't sound like another political position to me.

Harry Truman's wiki entry has this to say on the 22nd Amendment:

In 1951, the United States ratified the 22nd Amendment, making a president ineligible for election to a third term or for election to a second full term after serving more than two remaining years of a term of a previously elected president. The latter clause did not apply to Truman's situation in 1952 because of a grandfather clause excluding the amendment's application to the incumbent president.

Therefore, he seriously considered running for another term in 1952 and left his name on the ballot in the New Hampshire primary. However all his close advisors, pointing to his age, his failing abilities, and his poor showing in the polls, talked him out of it.

So as Tepid says, a VP could serve less than two years as president in the event of a president dying in office, then go on to win two elections; but if he served more than two years of the first term, he could only contest one election.

So presumably the "unexpired" reference is to whatever amount of time is left for a sitting or former president?

Popcorn's Art

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1834 on: June 6, 2021, 03:57:25 pm »
Ok I understand the VP part, but how does that relate to being part of the house of representatives? That's got nothing to do with a presidential term?

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1835 on: June 6, 2021, 05:01:36 pm »
Ok I understand the VP part, but how does that relate to being part of the house of representatives? That's got nothing to do with a presidential term?

Okay, after re-reading the information, the "unexpired" period relates to whatever remains of a deceased or removed president's term, with the VP assuming the presidency and completing the remainder of this unexpired term.

The link I posted earlier on the 22nd Amendment explains it thus, using Lyndon B Johnson and Gerarld Ford as comparisons:

Johnson became president in November 1963 upon the assassination of John F. Kennedy, served out the remaining 1 year and 59 days of Kennedy's term, and was elected to a full four-year term in 1964. Four years later, he briefly ran for a second full term, but withdrew from the race during the party primaries.  Had Johnson served a second full term—through January 20, 1973—his presidency would have lasted 9 years and 59 days; as it happened, Johnson died two days after that date.

Ford, who became president in August 1974 upon the resignation of Richard Nixon, served the remaining 2 years and 164 days of Nixon's term, and ran for a full four-year term in 1976, but lost to Jimmy Carter.

Johnson was eligible to be elected to two full terms in his own right, as he had served less than two years of Kennedy's unexpired term, whereas Ford was eligible to be elected to only one full term, as he had served more than two years of Nixon's.

There's some discussion on the link on interactions between the 12th and 22nd Amendments, ie, can a former two term president subsequently serve as VP, with the potential of assuming the presidency? - but nothing that I can see on a former one term president seeking an elected office below the presidency.

However, a quick google search reveals a precedent: Quincy Adams served as a senator after being a one term president.

This response on quora seems to suggest that Trump could indeed run for either Congress or the Senate; but that most former presidents, if given the option, would consider Congress as too much of a step down. It also references the Presidential Succession Act, if anybody has a mind to check into it further.

The bottom line is, most presidents fulfill two terms; and even one term presidents likely have enough to keep them busy, so as not to seek public office again after being rejected by the electorate.  Neither of these really apply to Trump, as he's clearly got plenty of time on his hands, and he doesn't consider himself roundly rejected by the American people.

I hope this clears things up a bit! :)

EDIT: An extract from Quincy Adams' wikipedia page:

Adams grew bored of his retirement and still felt that his career was unfinished, so he ran for and won a seat in the United States House of Representatives in the 1830 elections. His election went against the generally held opinion, shared by his own wife and youngest son, that former presidents should not run for public office. Nonetheless, he would win election to nine terms, serving from 1831 until his death in 1848.[

Looks like he served in Congress rather than the Senate, but it's cleary there's nothing set in stone on this - simply a precedent or unwritten rule.  And we all know how Trump loves to trample this stuff.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2021, 05:07:03 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1836 on: June 6, 2021, 05:34:28 pm »
What's all this talk of Trump running for Congress? He thinks he's still President. Becoming a Senator much less a Congressman would probably feel like a slap to the face for him.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1837 on: June 6, 2021, 06:30:21 pm »
What's all this talk of Trump running for Congress? He thinks he's still President. Becoming a Senator much less a Congressman would probably feel like a slap to the face for him.

He doesn't really care what office he holds, as long as he has power, influence and people are listening to him.

Like I said, it's the irony of the likes of Kevin McCarthy and Matt Gaetz fawning over Trump, that he could snatch the latter's seat in Florida if/when he's arrested, and then attempt to seize the House GOP leadership from the former once in Congress. They both cling to him to shore up their own positions, but he will throw them under a bus if it meant getting back in the spotlight again.

Popcorn's Art

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1838 on: June 7, 2021, 11:17:38 am »
Ive wondered how Trump sleeps at night knowing his corrupt life is catching up on him and his family. I would like to think he would also be deeply ashamed of how History will view him but I doubt he cares. maybe he hasn't been able to cope.

Fox Did Not Broadcast a Minute of Trump’s Slurred, Disturbing Speech: Were They Warned Off by Trump Aides?

We worried about the impact Trump’s new commitment to “rallies” might have on his MAGA movement. We know that 75% of Republicans do not see Biden as the legitimate president and a stunning number – well over half – believe that the left had “something” to do with January 6th. They have proven themselves to be fanatical enough to do the previously unthinkable. A riot, attempted coup, all designed to halt Congress, perhaps truly hang Pence.

Trump hasn’t shut-up about what he calls the “Big Lie,” indeed in a video put out on Friday, he promised he would take back the White House and it would be “sooner than you think.” As we keep saying, it’s a horrifically dangerous mix. Again, think Timothy McVeigh, only more organized, and multiple hits.

Ok well I just saw a couple clips from this Trump speech and he is in worse shape than I imagined. He looks and sounds sick both physically and mentally. He has experienced a steep decline in these few short months.

— Brett Meiselas (@BMeiselas) June 6, 2021
https://www.politicalflare.com/2021/06/fox-didnt-broadcast-any-of-trumps-slurring-or-wandering-speech-were-they-warned-of-trumps-deterioration/
Chris Bryant

·

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1839 on: June 7, 2021, 11:43:13 am »
What do they mean by warned off though? Warned in the sense his rhetoric causes further unrest, or because when people see the state he's in what's left of his mainstream support will collapse and there'll be a massive backlash against the GOP in the mid terms for continuing to write blank check support for this drooling lunatic and their voter disenfranchisement laws?

Popcorn's Art