Author Topic: Nobody Strikes the Ball like Alexander-Arnold  (Read 21114 times)

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: Nobody Strikes the Ball like Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #40 on: October 1, 2020, 12:08:33 pm »
Lindsay was a cult hero amongst my schoolmates (well ex-school) and myself - we needed group counselling sessions after that disallowed goal.

Keegan was ectstatic to receive passes from Lindsay having been previously fed by Joey Jones. Shankly reckoned Lindsay could open a can with his left foot.

I love that. Think of me in bloody Huddersfield. I had to cope with the trauma all on my own. My Mum and Dad and sister also went through an extraordinary ten minutes after the goal was disallowed goal with me - a 13 year-old boy - 'fucking' and 'cunting' at the TV. This was not language that a respectable working-class Yorkshire family generally used. I was never told off either. I think everybody realised that I'd just suffered the greatest injustice of my young life to date. Even Mum who never understood the off-side law.

But Joey Jones? He came after Alec Lindsay, no? All the Kopites loved him of course, but there was no wand on him.

Stubbins, thanks for kind words. Football journalism's not for me, but one day in the future I might try and write up a book about the Reds. It might be a slightly unusual book though.   
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: October 1, 2020, 12:28:32 pm »
In terms of playing a pass with information on it, his assist for a Salah goal against Bournemouth (I think). Trent sends a 40 yard ball for Salah to flick header over the stranded keeper. Most pundits were enamored with the finish but I remember one saying it was the only option. This was because Trent had simplified the decision making by the quality of the pass.

Was that Salah? I thought it was Luis Garcia.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: October 1, 2020, 12:30:48 pm »
Thanks for the comments people.

Carra-ton's rhapsody on Xabi hits the sweet spot for me. Whoever put more backspin on a long range pass than Alonso? ("That's overhit.....Jeez, the ball has its own brakes").

Willy mentions the modern ball. I think ball technology is wonderful and a gift to technical players (as are the modern pitches). Doc mentioned Rivelino and he must have been a special striker of the ball because those old leather panelled balls were difficult to swerve. What Rivelino would have done with the modern ball is anyone's guess.

A couple of posters have mentioned the 'volley' that Trent hit against the Blades and remarked on how difficult it is to hit a crisp pass or shot with the outside of the boot in such circumstances. But I think it's even better than that. A true volley involves hitting a falling ball usually - or at least one that arrives with a flat trajectory. That's tricky enough. But Trent's 'volley' was a rising ball. Try it. It's even harder.

For rossi: imagine a batsman forcing a ball on the up through the covers with a packed offside field. That's how tricky it was.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: October 1, 2020, 12:32:40 pm »
For rossi: imagine a batsman forcing a ball on the up through the covers with a packed offside field. That's how tricky it was.

Exactly. "Driving the ball on the up" it's called in cricket. The hardest thing for a batter to master. Trent Alexander-Arnold is therefore Vivian Richards.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #44 on: October 1, 2020, 12:35:05 pm »
Think it was the other way round Dr B. Joey followed Lindsay and in doing so set Keegan off to think about challenges elsewhere. Lindsay was converted to a full back from an inside forward by Shanks, so he knew instinctively how a forward wanted the ball played up to him and Keegan thrived on it as you say.
Ah you may well be right, I just remember Keegan's disparaging comparison.

And yeah, some people (not many) when they pass the ball, are passing it in such a way that the receiver is getting maximum assistance, ie the direction speed and spin on the ball, what part of their body do they want it to etc. Others are more obsessed with holding on to the ball for as long as possible, and milking the adulation of all but the poor bastard who is going to receive it a microsecond before a hairy arsed full-back lands on him.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2020, 12:43:38 pm by Dr. Beaker »
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: October 1, 2020, 12:40:06 pm »
Ah you may well be right, I just remember Keegan's disparaging comparison.

Joey was a right-footed left back, which can't have helped. I never much enjoy seeing that myself - unless it's Arbeloa marking Messi of course.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #46 on: October 1, 2020, 12:46:47 pm »

My favourite moment from last season was Trent's ball to Robbo to set up Mo to score against City. When he receives the ball, you think his only option is to pass it backwards to Virg, but then he pings it across the pitch with his *left* foot, and not directly to Robbo, but perfectly into the space behind City's midfield for Robbo to run onto it and pick up the ball at speed.

Or course, Robbo's cross is also out of this world, the way it curls round behind the defenders to land perfectly for Mo, who finishes with an exquisite header, but it's Trent's vision and speed of thought that really makes it all possible. City are chasing shadows from the moment it leaves Trent's foot.

I'm sure that was probably one of the favourites for Klopp and the other coaches. It was certainly one of those "did you see that!?" moments.

Three minutes 20 seconds in on this video:
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/kOXtH55Db2I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/kOXtH55Db2I</a>
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #47 on: October 1, 2020, 12:47:57 pm »
Joey was a right-footed left back, which can't have helped. I never much enjoy seeing that myself - unless it's Arbeloa marking Messi of course.
I was right-footed but felt stronger tackling with my left foot for some reason, I dont know if that is a common thing. Mind you I could kick the ball quite well with my left - unlike some of these multi-millionaires. I had a mate who bowled left handed and batted right handed - its a funny old game.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #48 on: October 1, 2020, 01:15:13 pm »
I was right-footed but felt stronger tackling with my left foot for some reason, I dont know if that is a common thing. Mind you I could kick the ball quite well with my left - unlike some of these multi-millionaires. I had a mate who bowled left handed and batted right handed - its a funny old game.
I bowl/throw right-handed, bat left-handed, but I'm 100% left-footed. My right foot is a good as Riise's (my left, not a good as his though). It's for standing on.

Trent seems to be decent enough with his left, and I bet it's something he works on.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #49 on: October 1, 2020, 01:20:10 pm »
Wonderful description of his skills Yorky. I still can’t believe what Trent does at such a tender age.

I used to sit in Row6 of The Kenny Stand by the Kop corner flag until Covid stopped my visits and had a close up view of that volley at New Year. I have noticed he seems to hit more cross-field balls to Robbo when we are kicking towards the Anny Rd usually in the first half. The second goal against Man C in November was a perfect example when Robbo didn’t break stride before hitting a perfect cross for Salah to head home. When one of those long passes goes into touch it’s a rarity, that’s how accurate Trent has become.

There are many things missing from our lives right now but going to Anfield to show our gratitude for how the team are playing with such skill is a real shame.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: October 1, 2020, 01:21:39 pm »
Great OP and it's turned into a great contrast between the old and the new. I never saw Lindsay, but started going during the Jones era.

Trent is a wonderful footballer. 22 next week and already played 137 times for us with 30 in the CL. There's players in their 30's that haven't experienced the heights he has.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 1, 2020, 01:44:17 pm »
Really great stuff. I think like everyone on here I'd love to read that book Yorky. The dustcover should have that picture of the Kop you drew as a kid and mentioned on here a while back, 20,000 hand-drawn Kopites  ;D

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #52 on: October 1, 2020, 06:28:43 pm »
Great OP and it's turned into a great contrast between the old and the new. I never saw Lindsay, but started going during the Jones era.

Trent is a wonderful footballer. 22 next week and already played 137 times for us with 30 in the CL. There's players in their 30's that haven't experienced the heights he has.

Alec Lindsay was a gifted footballer but slow, oh so slow. Being a born Wrexhamite, I remember Joey breaking into the Wrexham team as a teenager. He was decent in the air, and I should say, his left was almost on a par with his right. His problem unfortunately was that his left was almost as weak as his right🤭.

As others have mentioned, Trent has demonstrated he’s no mug with his left foot either.

« Last Edit: October 1, 2020, 06:30:18 pm by Robinred »
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: October 1, 2020, 06:34:05 pm »
Really great stuff. I think like everyone on here I'd love to read that book Yorky. The dustcover should have that picture of the Kop you drew as a kid and mentioned on here a while back, 20,000 hand-drawn Kopites  ;D

Ha, you remember that! It's framed and on the hallway wall now thanks to Mrs Yorky. I've got to say that if you showed it to a psychiatrist they'd have something really upsetting to tell you.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: October 1, 2020, 06:40:56 pm »
Ha, you remember that! It's framed and on the hallway wall now thanks to Mrs Yorky. I've got to say that if you showed it to a psychiatrist they'd have something really upsetting to tell you.
The cost of how many sessions you'd need to test for and then work through your evident Asperger's like obsessive attention to detail?
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: October 1, 2020, 08:44:39 pm »
Thanks Yorkie I enjoyed that. Something about Liverpool fans and that deep appreciation of players who can make the ball talk, probably because it's a skill that's often combined with the ability to read the game, create time and space and do the spectacular that sends those lovely warm feelings through you when you witness it, no matter where you are, wether it's a cold wet day or you're watching on telly. We love our Joey Jones and Barney Rubbles, for their commitment but we always have that special place or those who create magic, who take the ball and produce art as well as craft. Trent is up there, making the extraordinary normal but we're in a special moment with this team. Bobby's intelligence and grace with the ball, Thiago's command and control and Virgil's vision as he strokes the football taking out a midfield with a long ball that ridicules any opposing fans cries of hoof. This team is special along with their work and pressing, we have craft taken to a new level, we need to enjoy every moment of this team, teams like this don't come around often, we are spoiled by the riches we are witnessing. Alec Lindsay, Souness, Molby, Alonso you've got company
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2020, 06:06:40 pm »
I've only just read that Yorky, wonderful stuff, I absolutely loved it. A fantastic tribute to one of our finest young players in years. And some superb contributions from the rest of you.

I'll pre-order a copy of that book when its close to publication mate.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2020, 07:31:48 am »
Thanks for a lovely thread, beautiful writing, Yorky. As for me, nothing to add other than to mention his growing defensive ability and supreme athleticism. Of course that's not where the artistry is, but the graft he's put into this areas have built a growing platform on which his craft can shine all the more. Wonderful player and a well-worthy write up and thread. RAWK at its best.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2020, 08:09:13 am »
https://mobile.twitter.com/Watch_LFC/status/1321209820867907587

He did it again.
Nice example of the sound Yorkie talks about.

Fantastic OP and replies, loved reading through that. Great start to the day!

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2020, 08:23:11 am »
https://mobile.twitter.com/Watch_LFC/status/1321209820867907587

He did it again.

Haha think the commentators missed that one at the time and I worried it would fly under the radar and never be seen again - thanks for sharing. Incredible technique.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #61 on: November 8, 2020, 12:51:55 am »
Posted this is Trent's thread so am dropping it here as well: (For French speakers only...Sorry, it's too long for me to translate the whole thing).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb63LBP4eQU&list=TLPQMDcxMTIwMjBZ-D1lB8fIUw&index=3 

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2021, 08:05:46 pm »
Two bloody good examples from the last two London games. The undefendable cross against Tottenham that Mane finished off and today's switch hit to Shaqiri on the left. That was some strike  A ball that was gently rolling away from him to the right, sent into the far left of the field? It might look a simple thing, but that was not easy. And what joy to see the ball land. Like a three iron rolling down the empty fairway.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2021, 08:07:07 pm »
Nice to see him skipping past opposition players to get some space for the cross.  He's a very decent dribbler and should be looking to do that more often.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Willy Poolman

• Main Stander
  • You'll Never RAWK Alone
« Reply #64 on: February 1, 2021, 12:46:15 am »
Two bloody good examples from the last two London games. The undefendable cross against Tottenham that Mane finished off and today's switch hit to Shaqiri on the left. That was some strike  A ball that was gently rolling away from him to the right, sent into the far left of the field? It might look a simple thing, but that was not easy. And what joy to see the ball land. Like a three iron rolling down the empty fairway.

It was indeed a wonderful ball to Shaqiri and another example of his skill and decision making qualities. Looking back at the whole sequence leading to the second goal, though, I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed that the West Derby Wonder Boy took three touches to get the ball away. The whole move was pure poetry otherwise.

Some people are never satisfied, hey?  :)

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #65 on: February 1, 2021, 12:50:05 am »

The way he strikes through the ball is just so pure. We are very lucky to have him.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #66 on: February 1, 2021, 10:47:45 am »
He strikes it as pure with the outside of his boot as most other mere mortal professionals do with the laces or in-step. It's frightening.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: February 1, 2021, 11:00:53 am »
I'm beginning to think Trent sees the football pitch the way Neo sees the world in the Matrix. When he received the ball from Robbo's headed clearance, he looked up, and in a moment had taken in the whole field ahead of him, who was where, who was running... it's as if the whole scoring move was laid out before his eyes... He knew exactly where to place the ball, several metres ahead of Shaqiri for him to run on to it and hit a perfect first time cross to land at Mo's feet...

To have the vision to create that long pass to Shaqiri is one thing. To execute it so perfectly is something else.

And he doesn't even get credited with an assist for his troubles.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #68 on: February 7, 2021, 06:30:16 pm »
Is Rob Jones still at the club? Some one on one training with Trent would be good, anyone would think he was playing against John Barnes in his prime today. Pathetic defending at times.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #69 on: February 7, 2021, 06:31:45 pm »
His defending still needs a ton of work.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2021, 09:44:45 pm »
You don’t save those
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2021, 09:45:47 pm »
I think they call that a thunder bastard
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2021, 09:48:27 pm »
What A Hit! :D

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2021, 09:48:54 pm »
He must have a foot like a traction engine

Offline BBS

• Main Stander
  • Big Black Sock
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2021, 09:51:29 pm »
He must have a foot like a traction engine

he sure gripped it

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2021, 09:54:15 pm »
Surprised the net is still up

Offline kingmonkey007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2021, 09:54:26 pm »
Thiago's reaction to that goal was  :o

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2021, 09:56:09 pm »
Thiago's reaction to that goal was  :o

Konate as well. He couldn't believe it  ;D
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2021, 09:58:02 pm »
He gets better and better and better and better and better and better.

He's also improving.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2021, 10:03:35 pm »
He's no Kyle Walker