Author Topic: The PL run-in  (Read 993469 times)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: The PL run-in
« Reply #6680 on: January 24, 2022, 05:59:39 pm »
What title do you think we're more likely to win, CL or PL?
I'd put my money on CL, although a betting company would probably say PL.

It's the gap we have to City. If we were still neck and neck with them it'd be hard to call because we're capable of going on a run business end of the season (even last season 8 wins and 2 draws last 10 games). They just very rarely drop points though, so you can't afford to be chasing them.

The thing with the CL is if we've got our best side out you'd back us against anyone. Missing a key player or two can make all the difference though. We've gone to Chelsea this season with Milner in midfield and played City at home with Milner at right back. Nothing against the lad (he's still a good player to bring on in big games) but to win the CL we'll need to beat one or both of City and Chelsea and we can't afford that kind of thing. We need our best players on the pitch.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #6681 on: January 24, 2022, 06:20:50 pm »
It's the gap we have to City. If we were still neck and neck with them it'd be hard to call because we're capable of going on a run business end of the season (even last season 8 wins and 2 draws last 10 games). They just very rarely drop points though, so you can't afford to be chasing them.

The thing with the CL is if we've got our best side out you'd back us against anyone. Missing a key player or two can make all the difference though. We've gone to Chelsea this season with Milner in midfield and played City at home with Milner at right back. Nothing against the lad (he's still a good player to bring on in big games) but to win the CL we'll need to beat one or both of City and Chelsea and we can't afford that kind of thing. We need our best players on the pitch.

We could win the CL avoiding both of them
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #6682 on: January 24, 2022, 06:23:55 pm »
We could win the CL avoiding both of them

Possibly, chances are it'll be another all-English final unless Bayern step up.

The Italian and Spanish sides aren't strong and PSG will fall short against a good side. You'd be disappointed if we went out to any of them (like with Real last year it'd take a bunch of injuries and a bad day at the office). With City and Chelsea we're more evenly matched.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 06:27:20 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6683 on: January 24, 2022, 06:28:20 pm »
Covid unfortunately will play a part at some stage again. I've got horrible visions of Salah missing a key game somewhere because of a covid positive test.

Hopefully we get to a stage in the not too distant future where isolation is no longer needed for vaccinated people.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6684 on: January 24, 2022, 06:33:20 pm »
We conceded one goal yesterday. Of course we could make sure teams don't get a sniff by playing a low block defence and making sure Trent and Robertson don't cross the halfway line. Maybe have two defensive midifelders and play one striker up top...

Or we play the high risk strategy that won us the league and the European Cup. has us 2nd in the league, in a cup final and still in the FA Cup and CL. We rely on the recovery speed of our centre backs, a monster of a defensive midfielder and the brilliance of our goalkeeper. There will be gaps to play in behind Trent because he's usually high up on the wing or moving into the centre to create mayhem and provide assists.

TV pundits love talking about our high line as if Klopp and his team aren't well aware of the risks involved.
I know what you're saying Alan but we could easily have conceded 3 or 4 yesterday, they were creating big chances. We seemed much more measured in the title winning season. I know the fundamentals are the same but we felt nowhere near as on edge as we do now. Teams wouldn't get close to our goal for most of the 90 minutes, it seems all they need to do at the moment is win the ball back, stick one over the top and they're in. Part of the problem is the midfield because it's become too easy to run straight at our defence. Maybe there's more to it, I'm not an expert on the tactical side of things, all I can say is it's pretty clear that we aren't on the level defensively as we were then.

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6685 on: January 24, 2022, 06:36:25 pm »
Covid unfortunately will play a part at some stage again. I've got horrible visions of Salah missing a key game somewhere because of a covid positive test.

Hopefully we get to a stage in the not too distant future where isolation is no longer needed for vaccinated people.

I think the UK are planning removing isolation rules from March? So you’re in luck, unless you live in the UK

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6686 on: January 24, 2022, 07:06:28 pm »
The problem when you look at City is that it is easy to only remember the runs where they win 10 or 15 games in a row and forget about the times when they do drop points.  In the last 38 game stretch they have had 5 game runs of 9 points, 9 points, and 11 points back to back (to back) for a total of 29 points over 15 games.  If they repeat that run then they finish om 86 points which is definitely beatable.  They are not perfect, and we just need to keep the pressure on and get them worried.  A run of injuries, bad refereeing decisions, early red cards, or a couple of wonder strikes can happen at any time and suddenly things can start to look very different.

We just need to go back to that siege mentality of 'one game at a time' that we did so well in 18/ 19 and 19/ 20, and hope for some good luck around injuries.  And if City do run up a crazy points total that we can't catch then we'll just have to settle for the treble rather than the quadruple.

There is a four game run starting with Everton away where they'll be expected to win them all, but I have a sneaky suspicion they will drop points. When they go to the Pit, if Drunken is still in charge, I expect them to get the shit kicked out of them and I don't think they will be up for the fight and could drop points there. Solskjaer somehow managed to get wins at the Emptyhad and hopefully they will at least scab a draw, Palace away will be tough, they could lose there and Brighton are capable of getting a point.

We'll just go one game at a time and try to chip away at their lead.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6687 on: January 24, 2022, 09:11:29 pm »
Everton will absolutely not be taking anything from City. It would be interesting to see Everton's results against any side where there was even a glimmer of helping us out if they won. I'd bet they've lost every single game in that scenario. When was the last time Everton didn't lose to City actually? Must be going back a while.

Edit: just looked, they've lost their last 9 games against them. Last time they got something was August 2017 in a 1-1 draw.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 09:13:44 pm by UntouchableLuis »
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6688 on: January 24, 2022, 09:28:01 pm »
Surely the key for us will be when the Champions League comes back - we're going to be having 2 really intense games in a week (at least). This is where we need to freshen up from time to time, especially in midfield. I think having a fit and available squad as possible come 2 weeks time will be massive. And us being at least close means City can't rest all their key players. As others have said, we have a large squad than City but their drop-off in quality is next to nothing.

It's going to be incredibly tough and there's little margin for error. City have this odd habit of dropping points out of nowhere though, I think them losing the winning streak was key as it could easily have gone to 15+ games.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6689 on: January 24, 2022, 10:20:01 pm »

Just win our games. The pressure will build on them if we start winning relentlessly. So far we’ve looked more likely to drop points so they’ve been able to play without fear. If we do our business I’m comfortable that they’ll start to tighten up.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6690 on: January 24, 2022, 11:30:30 pm »
Listing the fixtures out like that has pretty much zapped my hopes after the optimism of City dropping points this weekend. I can't see them losing any of those games. We're already in need of snookers but we know that. We just have to really hope we can keep the pressure on them and capitalise (and win any games in hand) when the opportunity arises.
Did you see them losing 2 points at Southampton? Why look too far ahead. Focus on our game. One at a time. That’s how you enjoy the ride …
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #6691 on: January 25, 2022, 02:02:16 am »
Everton will absolutely not be taking anything from City. It would be interesting to see Everton's results against any side where there was even a glimmer of helping us out if they won. I'd bet they've lost every single game in that scenario. When was the last time Everton didn't lose to City actually? Must be going back a while.

Edit: just looked, they've lost their last 9 games against them. Last time they got something was August 2017 in a 1-1 draw.

It would be classic Everton to beat City when the entirety of Goodison wants their own team to lose.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6692 on: January 25, 2022, 03:57:43 am »
It would be classic Everton to beat City when the entirety of Goodison wants their own team to lose.

:mooncat
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #6693 on: January 25, 2022, 07:22:09 am »
On the balance of the season so far you'd have to say though that it's them who are playing like champions they've spent £1billion in 5 years, had hardly any injuries, hardly any covid, and no players at Afcon.
Please don't say City are playing like Champions. They are playing like cheats. We need to stop this narrative that winning the most games somehow means you deserve the title.

Other teams do. They don't.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #6694 on: January 25, 2022, 08:06:12 am »
Not getting my hopes up too much until we play them.
Exciting though . It's a very tough ask to stay in touch till then but we've seen this squad don't before .
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #6695 on: January 25, 2022, 08:49:57 am »
Even if we can't catch them, we need to focus on putting some space between us and the others so we can focus more attention on the Champions League and maybe even the FA Cup.

When we catch them, there will be miles between us and the rest as a consequence of catching them. This post makes no sense, do you think the rest of the league are going to suddenly start playing at a title winning level  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6696 on: January 25, 2022, 08:55:40 am »
Please don't say City are playing like Champions. They are playing like cheats. We need to stop this narrative that winning the most games somehow means you deserve the title.

Other teams do. They don't.

Exactly. Winning the title and being worthy of praise for winning the title are two separate things. It's as if they are beating a video game on the beginner mode with cheat codes enabled. That's nothing special or noteworthy. In fact, I'm surprised that more isn't made of the fact that they don't actually win everything every year.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #6697 on: January 25, 2022, 08:59:35 am »
Even if we don't win in the end, we do have a chance and that makes the whole run-in so much more interesting.
Top-3 is almost secured already, and fighting with Chelsea over 2nd/3rd place wouldn't be very exciting.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6698 on: January 25, 2022, 09:42:47 am »
We can win lads. City are likely to bottle it if we put them under pressure because they are a bit soft mentally.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6699 on: January 25, 2022, 09:45:33 am »
There is a four game run starting with Everton away where they'll be expected to win them all, but I have a sneaky suspicion they will drop points. When they go to the Pit, if Drunken is still in charge, I expect them to get the shit kicked out of them and I don't think they will be up for the fight and could drop points there. Solskjaer somehow managed to get wins at the Emptyhad and hopefully they will at least scab a draw, Palace away will be tough, they could lose there and Brighton are capable of getting a point.

We'll just go one game at a time and try to chip away at their lead.

Everton would throw the game against City even if it meant they went into the relegation zone.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6700 on: January 25, 2022, 09:46:49 am »
Everton would throw the game against City even if it meant they went into the relegation zone.
The Ev can definitely get something. Historically, they have a good record against City and they'll need the points to secure their safety.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6701 on: January 25, 2022, 09:48:21 am »
We can win lads. City are likely to bottle it if we put them under pressure because they are a bit soft mentally.

Th year we got 97 and didn’t win it they were pretty mentally tough sadly. The bastards.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6702 on: January 25, 2022, 09:50:11 am »
City v Villa last game of the season. Would be nice of Gerrard and Coutinho to pull one out of the bag there.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6703 on: January 25, 2022, 09:50:59 am »
Th year we got 97 and didn’t win it they were pretty mentally tough sadly. The bastards.
It's easier to chase than to be chased. The possibility of bottling a big lead puts more pressure on them.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6704 on: January 25, 2022, 09:52:48 am »
The Ev can definitely get something. Historically, they have a good record against City and they'll need the points to secure their safety.

2 wins and 4 draws since 2013. Nothing but defeats since Aug 2017. Hope you're right though.

05 Oct 2013   Manchester City v Everton   L   3-1   Premier League
03 May 2014   Everton v Manchester City   L   2-3   Premier League
06 Dec 2014   Manchester City v Everton   L   1-0   Premier League
10 Jan 2015   Everton v Manchester City   D   1-1   Premier League
23 Aug 2015   Everton v Manchester City   L   0-2   Premier League
06 Jan 2016   Everton v Manchester City   W   2-1   League Cup
13 Jan 2016   Manchester City v Everton   D   0-0   Premier League
27 Jan 2016   Manchester City v Everton   L   3-1   League Cup
15 Oct 2016   Manchester City v Everton   D   1-1   Premier League
15 Jan 2017   Everton v Manchester City   W   4-0   Premier League
21 Aug 2017   Manchester City v Everton   D   1-1   Premier League
31 Mar 2018   Everton v Manchester City   L   1-3   Premier League
15 Dec 2018   Manchester City v Everton   L   3-1   Premier League
06 Feb 2019   Everton v Manchester City   L   0-2   Premier League
28 Sep 2019   Everton v Manchester City   L   1-3   Premier League
01 Jan 2020   Manchester City v Everton   L   2-1   Premier League
17 Feb 2021   Everton v Manchester City   L   1-3   Premier League
20 Mar 2021   Everton v Manchester City   L   0-2   FA Cup
23 May 2021   Manchester City v Everton   L   5-0   Premier League
21 Nov 2021   Manchester City v Everton   L   3-0   Premier League

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6705 on: January 25, 2022, 09:55:06 am »
That 4-0 win in Guardiola's first season makes a lot of people think Everton ever get anything against City.

Just stay on the trail is all we can do. Win our games, let the press talk about how we need binoculars to see City's trail, and keep waiting for them to grind against someone somewhere.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6706 on: January 25, 2022, 09:55:42 am »
2 wins and 4 draws since 2013. Nothing but defeats since Aug 2017.

05 Oct 2013   Manchester City v Everton   L   3-1   Premier League
03 May 2014   Everton v Manchester City   L   2-3   Premier League
06 Dec 2014   Manchester City v Everton   L   1-0   Premier League
10 Jan 2015   Everton v Manchester City   D   1-1   Premier League
23 Aug 2015   Everton v Manchester City   L   0-2   Premier League
06 Jan 2016   Everton v Manchester City   W   2-1   League Cup
13 Jan 2016   Manchester City v Everton   D   0-0   Premier League
27 Jan 2016   Manchester City v Everton   L   3-1   League Cup
15 Oct 2016   Manchester City v Everton   D   1-1   Premier League
15 Jan 2017   Everton v Manchester City   W   4-0   Premier League
21 Aug 2017   Manchester City v Everton   D   1-1   Premier League
31 Mar 2018   Everton v Manchester City   L   1-3   Premier League
15 Dec 2018   Manchester City v Everton   L   3-1   Premier League
06 Feb 2019   Everton v Manchester City   L   0-2   Premier League
28 Sep 2019   Everton v Manchester City   L   1-3   Premier League
01 Jan 2020   Manchester City v Everton   L   2-1   Premier League
17 Feb 2021   Everton v Manchester City   L   1-3   Premier League
20 Mar 2021   Everton v Manchester City   L   0-2   FA Cup
23 May 2021   Manchester City v Everton   L   5-0   Premier League
21 Nov 2021   Manchester City v Everton   L   3-0   Premier League
Before Pep came in, they used to get results regularly and City were already financially doped. They drew with them at the Etihad in their best season.

Their recent record looks worse than I thought but I still back them. ;) Imagine if the mancs and the bitters help us make up those 6 points.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #6707 on: January 25, 2022, 10:04:04 am »
When was the last time we were still in contention for all 4 trophies at the start of Feb?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Andrew Beasley (BassTunedToRed)
« Reply #6708 on: January 25, 2022, 10:05:12 am »
When was the last time we were still in contention for all 4 trophies at the start of Feb?

Saw a tweet yesterday saying it's never happened before but not easy to check.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6709 on: January 25, 2022, 10:08:20 am »

It depends on how you define 'in contention'

2016 we were still in 4 competitions.

2001 is also an obvious candidate
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 10:09:51 am by Barneylfc∗ »

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6710 on: January 25, 2022, 10:09:23 am »

I guess it can only be the times we made the League Cup final?

2012 - not in Europe that season, out of the running in the League
2005 - out of the FA Cup, out of the running in the League
2003 - maybe out of the FA Cup (lost 4th round to Palace), falling away in the League, still in UEFA
2001 - in all cups, but not in serious title contention
1995 - not in Europe, still in FA Cup, not in serious title contention

League Cup final used to be played March/April time but you might still have to go back to the early 80s. And even then when we were dominating the League Cup we had a weirdly bad FA Cup record (knocked out early by Brighton twice in a row).

Offline TAA66

• Kopite
  • Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville
« Reply #6711 on: January 25, 2022, 10:12:19 am »
City v Villa last game of the season. Would be nice of Gerrard and Coutinho to pull one out of the bag there.

At least if we need something on the final day, we know Stevie will go all out

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6712 on: January 25, 2022, 10:21:17 am »
Yeah I probably should've cleared up the criteria  ;D

League Cup final
FA Cup 4th/5th round (depending on the schedule that year)
Champions League Round of 16/2nd Group Stage
Leading the league/within 5 points of the leaders (Yes, I know we'll be 6 behind if we win our game in hand but we also have a game against the leaders still to come)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6713 on: January 25, 2022, 10:28:58 am »

Bollocks they will. They know that if they go down, the club is fucked, they will have to fight for every point they can get from now on.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6714 on: January 25, 2022, 10:35:15 am »
Yeah I probably should've cleared up the criteria  ;D

League Cup final
FA Cup 4th/5th round (depending on the schedule that year)
Champions League Round of 16/2nd Group Stage
Leading the league/within 5 points of the leaders (Yes, I know we'll be 6 behind if we win our game in hand but we also have a game against the leaders still to come)

81/82

Won the league cup
FA Cup 5th round (lost to Chelsea
Lost in the European Cup 3rd round in March
Won the league

82/83 was the same. Won the league and league cup, lost the FA cup 5th round and European cup 3rd round.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 10:37:41 am by Barneylfc∗ »

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #6715 on: January 25, 2022, 10:40:48 am »

Did I see they were sniffing around Gomez too?
Can see Gerrard running up to a camera.....
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #6716 on: January 25, 2022, 10:45:35 am »
Too easy to conflate the fans with the players too - these are professionals at the end of the day and I just cannot believe that the Everton players would willingly throw a game.

Fact of the matter is that while it may look like they aren't trying or are making it easy for teams the reality is that they are just that dogshit

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6717 on: January 25, 2022, 10:58:53 am »
81/82

Won the league cup
FA Cup 5th round (lost to Chelsea
Lost in the European Cup 3rd round in March
Won the league

82/83 was the same. Won the league and league cup, lost the FA cup 5th round and European cup 3rd round.

So it's still a pretty historical season when put in context

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #6718 on: January 25, 2022, 11:27:39 am »
city seem to have a big winning run like the one we've just seen every season.

does anybody have any stats on how they far in the 10 games after their 10 (or near 10-game) winning streaks over the years?
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #6719 on: January 25, 2022, 11:38:52 am »
LOL no they don't
YNWA