Author Topic: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara  (Read 822681 times)

Offline dmorgan

• Started well, turned out a bit meh.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Going, Going....gone.
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara
« Reply #480 on: September 21, 2020, 08:09:20 am »
Just a joy to watch.. Him, Hendo and Naby should be our starting midfield... With Fabinho at CB

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #481 on: September 21, 2020, 08:36:10 am »
Allison instantly upgraded our GK
Van Dijk instantly improved the defence

Thiago is having that same effect on the midfield. And thats not dissing the other midfielders - they've been phenomenal to a man. But Thiago brings that extra dimension and can change us in an instant.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #482 on: September 21, 2020, 08:38:05 am »
Slotted right in and looked like he'd been there for years

his confidence is immense

even with the penalty - he didn't shirk it thinking I can't do that on my debut

he thought fuck it I'm here and this is what I do  ;D

Tackle as clumsily as Xabi? ;D

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: September 21, 2020, 08:38:22 am »
What an entrance and performance for a debut  - 75 passes in 45 minutes.  Class! Welcome Thiago

For me the revelation was Fabinho at CB and I think he may be better than Gomez there. if Thiago plays the Fabinho role in DCM then Fab can play CB and even RB when needed. more options in midfield and a serious passing CB option in Fabinho.

I think Thiago will help sell a lot of no. 6 shirts

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #484 on: September 21, 2020, 08:41:14 am »
I think it was maybe his second or third pass he just lofted it first time to Robbo without even looking and I just chuckled.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: September 21, 2020, 08:46:18 am »
he must have had 100% pass accuracy when passing to Robertson. I know the cameras picked up on something he said to Robbo about pressing as well, I think them two are going to love playing with each other

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: September 21, 2020, 08:47:37 am »
This guy is the perfect signing on and off the pitch. Players genuninely look so happy he's joined.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Silverbird

• Anny Roader
« Reply #487 on: September 21, 2020, 08:48:19 am »
I think Thiago will help sell a lot of no. 6 shirts

Absolutely, I hate the new Nike jerseys, but I might just get one with Thiago's name on it.

Online Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: September 21, 2020, 08:48:31 am »
I think you'll see a lot more forward movement when he plays as he's seemingly press resistant and wants the ball. It gives the attack and Defence much more confidence to do their job. For oppostion managers its a nightmare trying to defend against us when you have the front 3 that need shackling but then allowing like Thiago all the time in the world.

I think Klopp and Ljinders always have a review of tactics so we don't get stale and perhaps the approach this year is possession and press which you can't defend for 60 mins never mind 90.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: September 21, 2020, 08:48:35 am »
he must have had 100% pass accuracy when passing to Robertson. I know the cameras picked up on something he said to Robbo about pressing as well, I think them two are going to love playing with each other

Well tbf to Thiago he's only been playing with the second best left back in the world. Now he gets to play with the best.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: September 21, 2020, 08:50:08 am »
I think it was maybe his second or third pass he just lofted it first time to Robbo without even looking and I just chuckled.

I think that when he gets fully in sync with the team’s rhythm this will be an unreal lift in our game. Thiago picking the ball up round the centre circle or slightly further, Mo and Sadio tucking in and Robbo and Trent overlapping. Thiago hitting the space Mo and Sadio leave for the FBs and they deliver the final ball. That’s gonna be juicy!

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: September 21, 2020, 08:56:54 am »

Must be nice for Thiago to play with the best left back in the world rather than a clogger like Davies ;D

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: September 21, 2020, 08:57:39 am »
So what happened to the Gini or Thiago argument? Both on the pitch at the same time.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: September 21, 2020, 09:01:16 am »
So what happened to the Gini or Thiago argument? Both on the pitch at the same time.

And Gini looked a different type of player, looked as though he was very advanced throughout the second half obviously should have had a goal to show for it as well

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #494 on: September 21, 2020, 09:03:04 am »
I know he came on with Chelsea down to 10 men, so naturally he would have a little bit more space and time on the ball. Having said that, he brings finesse to industry.

Klopps biggest problem is who complements each other in midfield the best?!
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: September 21, 2020, 09:14:40 am »
I know he came on with Chelsea down to 10 men, so naturally he would have a little bit more space and time on the ball. Having said that, he brings finesse to industry.

Klopps biggest problem is who complements each other in midfield the best?!

That's not necessarily true. When teams go down to 10, they usually take a forward off, so he's still up against a 4 man midfield and a 4 man back line. The ones who will benefit are our back 4 as they have less pressure on them when they have the ball.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: September 21, 2020, 09:20:15 am »
Love at first sight for me.

He is so assured and comfortable on the ball.  he pinged a few passes over the top which were inches away from putting the forwards in.  He whips balls out to the fullbacks as if it were the easiest thing in the world.  He does a step over and accelerates away from other elite footballers with ease. 

My absolute favourite thing was how quickly he plays the ball.  Our current midfielders are under-rated of course and can play some astounding passes, but sometimes they seem to want a few extra touches to set themselves whereas he seems to be able to knock it short or long with his first touch.

Shame that shot didn't go in.  Wasn't anywhere near as close as I thought initially, but was a lovely strike.

Giving a peno away not great of course, but these things happen.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: September 21, 2020, 09:29:08 am »
£80m player at least. Bayern must hate us. :)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #498 on: September 21, 2020, 09:36:24 am »
I was really in awe everytime he picked up the ball. I think it was Carra who said that he was a player who will play the passes you don't expect or other players don't see.

As someone said above, think we will see more movement of our front three when he is on the ball.

I love that he was pointing to the other players where to go and giving instructions out. A truly experienced player who has won it all. He will be a massive part of this team.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #499 on: September 21, 2020, 09:43:08 am »
I think when he gets used to the league and Klopp's tactics he'll be a good option...... :lmao :lmao :lmao

Jeez, straight from the beginning just brilliant. We look a different team with him there. Amazing passing, Gini was far more regularly in the box.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #500 on: September 21, 2020, 09:50:13 am »

Same here. His confidence in his own ability was self evident the moment he walked on the pitch
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #501 on: September 21, 2020, 09:51:28 am »

It will probably give Gini the licence to play a more advanced role like he does for the national side, and in fact has done for most of his career other than us.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #502 on: September 21, 2020, 09:58:24 am »
It will probably give Gini the licence to play a more advanced role like he does for the national side, and in fact has done for most of his career other than us.
I was thinking that. If as it looks we will, we keep Gini, his goal numbers will rise massively with Thiago on the pitch. Such beautiful football to watch, that second half.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: September 21, 2020, 10:01:55 am »

That's what I'm thinking too. I reckon he does his best work playing further up the pitch. Just ask Barcelona.

Offline muszka

• Anny Roader
« Reply #504 on: September 21, 2020, 10:08:11 am »
You have to be a special footballer to come to a team that got 97 and 99 points in the last two seasons and need only one game to show that you're only going to improve it.

Just a shame about one thing, our fans can't see him playing at Anfield. There would be buzzing after his every good pass and it would've made him even more welcome here.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #505 on: September 21, 2020, 10:08:12 am »
Did anyone get the sense that Thiago was put on for the full 45 purely because Klopp viewed the 2nd half as the perfect opportunity for a training session ;)

And some session it was :scarf

Even though it was for an injuury to Hendo, it really was the perfect opportunity for Thiago to get a bit more training in at a lower intensity thatn it might otherwise have been in the match.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #506 on: September 21, 2020, 10:11:50 am »
Ok serious question, is this the first time we have had a song for a player before he kicked a ball for us?.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline missis sumner

• Not giving it up for Capon, not even when he understands her yet none of her friends does.....
  • Kopite
  • G'wan, my son
« Reply #507 on: September 21, 2020, 10:36:37 am »
Ok serious question, is this the first time we have had a song for a player before he kicked a ball for us?.

Strange times.  :)

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: September 21, 2020, 10:46:31 am »
My only worry is he will become the outlet too much. Happened with Xabi, happened with Stevie, with Coutinho. Once players know and trust someone as a get out of jail card, they start using it more often.
I trust we can keep our dynamism whilst using Thiago as an added advantage rather than always going through Thiago.
But I am knitpicking, what a player he is though. Just had Xabi vibes.

Even though Chelsea were down to 10 men, the ease with which we controlled that 2nd half and saving energy, make no mistake that wouldn't have been that easy without Thiago taking all the pressure off.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #509 on: September 21, 2020, 10:55:01 am »
Was interesting that as soon as this guys came on Virgil immediately stopped looking for the long pass and was content to just give him the ball like "i think this is yours mate, I'll just defend from now on"

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: September 21, 2020, 11:00:52 am »
Wish we signed him a few years earlier, absolute gem of a player

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: September 21, 2020, 11:06:39 am »
Wish we signed him a few years earlier, absolute gem of a player

I reckon we would have won the league if we'd have signed him last year
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: September 21, 2020, 11:11:06 am »

Thought Gini had a good game yesterday too, both with and without Thiago.

The options we have in that midfield now are insane.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #513 on: September 21, 2020, 11:40:41 am »
Wow! I love this player.

Against ten men of course, but even so. Thiago strolled through most of the second half, but occasionally stepped up a gear and then you were given a glimpse of what he might become if more intensity is needed. Those no-look stiletto passes into the feet of Firmino and Salah when they were in central positions were gorgeous. We've not had that since Alonso was doing the same for Gerrard and Torres. But unlike those days we have also men on the flanks who are pacy and enterprising. Thiago hit these fellas with Swiss regularity as well.

Technically, he must be among the best in the world. I love the way he rearranges passes to him that are slightly inaccurate by using the sole of his boot to put the ball exactly where it should have been. This is speed. Football speed. It's infectious too. Alexander-Arnold (of course it would be him) began to do the same as the half wore on.  Thiago will set new benchmarks. The rest of the boys, being who they are, will aspire to reach them.

What a buy!
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: September 21, 2020, 11:56:04 am »
Massive fan of Gini. And if he stays, which it looks like he will now, with a tactical switch for him when on the pitch with Thiago, I think his game is going to go up a level.

Oh and that Thiago fella......not bad eh?

Offline The-Originals

• Main Stander
« Reply #515 on: September 21, 2020, 11:57:22 am »
cant wait until the fans are back 
https://twitter.com/i/status/1307762924543520769
"Thiago, Thiago Alcantara...

"Thiago, Thiago Alcantara...

"You dance through the midfield like nobody does, the first time I saw you I knew it was love...

"Thiago, Thiago Alcantara."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 12:00:17 pm by The-Originals »
Allez Allez Allez.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: September 21, 2020, 12:35:26 pm »
Wow! I love this player.

Against ten men of course, but even so. Thiago strolled through most of the second half, but occasionally stepped up a gear and then you were given a glimpse of what he might become if more intensity is needed. Those no-look stiletto passes into the feet of Firmino and Salah when they were in central positions were gorgeous. We've not had that since Alonso was doing the same for Gerrard and Torres. But unlike those days we have also men on the flanks who are pacy and enterprising. Thiago hit these fellas with Swiss regularity as well.

Technically, he must be among the best in the world. I love the way he rearranges passes to him that are slightly inaccurate by using the sole of his boot to put the ball exactly where it should have been. This is speed. Football speed. It's infectious too. Alexander-Arnold (of course it would be him) began to do the same as the half wore on.  Thiago will set new benchmarks. The rest of the boys, being who they are, will aspire to reach them.

What a buy!

This is something a lot of players who grew up playing futsal do.  You used to see Ronaldhino do that all the time.  Stop the ball with the sole of his foot, roll it, and then dribble or pass. 

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: September 21, 2020, 12:52:43 pm »

When Minamino signed there was a video on Twitter of a song for him to Mamma Mia before he had played

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
« Reply #518 on: September 21, 2020, 01:53:55 pm »
was great to watch without that shit pretend crowd noise....  regularly picking up a deep Glasgow 'THIAGO' from Robbo :)

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #519 on: September 21, 2020, 02:00:02 pm »
Still can't believe we managed to get this deal over the line. Some of the passes he plays are seemingly simple and obvious, but the pace at which he moves the ball is really impressive.

In regards to the penalty, I thought it was really soft. He didn't seem to clip Werner, just brushed him. If that's a penalty, Salah would earn one almost every match.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.