Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - WELCOME, 'A PLAYER'!!  (Read 2501755 times)

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
The issue with that is VAR hasn't gone and there's no reason for us to be more fortunate with which refs we are assigned... so where are we making up extra points to win the league compared to say the mancs who get a penalty everytime someone ventures into the box

Actually, I wonder if they will make as many VAR calls with fans back in the ground as they did without the pressure of fans being there.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Actually, I wonder if they will make as many VAR calls with fans back in the ground as they did without the pressure of fans being there.
VARs aren't in the stadium, so will it make any difference?
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
VARs aren't in the stadium, so will it make any difference?

It will for the referee I would imagine and think there may be less dubious ones this season. Hopefully they use it like the rest of the world (like at the Euros for the most part) this season, it works better (not perfect, but better would be a start) and this discussion is moot.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A striker should be a major priority, more than a midfielder, in my opinion. It's all well and good expecting for Mane and Firmino to get back to their previous form, but they are both turning 30 this year and next, and we can't deny Bob's diminishing return for two seasons in a row now. A signing in the Jota mold (although more comfortable in the center), who can be relied upon and challenge for a place now, and be a replacement later on, would be a major boost for this squad. A Wijnaldum replacement would be great, but with all the options we have now, I don't find it as urgent as everyone's does.
I think a forward of some description should be the priority too, but it seems to be somewhat dependent on shifting Origi and Shaq. Midfield I'm a bit more relaxed about, but that's mostly because I really want to see more of Jones and I also have some faith that AOC and/or Keira can stop being injured so much, although that may well be a vain hope.

It's a tough one. We could well challenge for the title as things stand, but it would require VVD and Gomez coming back to what they were before the injuries, and Sadio and Bobby turning their form around. We have a really good squad, but it's reliant on a fair few ifs and maybes all working out, and personally I'm not too comfortable with our front three all aging together without a clear succession plan.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
Ahhh, another transfer window, more underwhelming investment, yet again some on here helpfully explaining that the relative lack of investment isn't, and everything is hunky dory.

Last summer was a lengthy series of back and forths on this forum, with some calling for investment and others explaining why it wasn't needed. All the voices saying there is no need to invest now, said the same thing last summer, all the way through the window, when, right at the end, Liverpool suddenly bought three players all in one go. Those who had said Liverpool didn't need players suddenly changed their tune, but that tune was "see, nothing to worry about".

The problem then, even more so this summer, is no longer the gaps in the squad (that still persist in terms of depth) but the age profile; Liverpool have 10 players, key players at that, in the 29-30+ bracket that need replacing in the medium to long-term. Jota was certainly in that mould, but Thiago was an elderstatesman and Tsimikas made 2 appearances in the league, in a year when the backline was devestated. So, only one of those three felt useful in the medium-to-long term.

The season started in 2020 and things were a little shakey, but ok. Then the injuries in key areas mounted and suddenly Liverpool were in dire straits. Come Christmas the holes were patched but still leaking, but the bigger iussue was tiredness, with key players rapidly running out of steam. This is not unusual in an aging sqaud with a lot of mileage. Enter the winter of our discontent and the fans are screaming for CBs in the transfer market.

Again, some were saying that LFC did not need transfers (often those who had said the same in the summer, right up until the point where players were brought in), as they believed Phillips and Williams would save the day, they were the future in fact. A month later, Liverpool are on the floor and at the last minute some cheap transfers occur, Kabak and Davies, and patch over the problems once more.

Again, those who had said at the start of the window that transfers were not necessary suddenly change tack and decide that these transfers mean no more problems. However, Kabak has already ended his loan and Davies has not even appeared once on the pitch (and is likely to move on).

So we come to this summer and so far just the one transfer, Konate. And again, people are saying if Liverpool end the summer without making any more transfers it will have been a good summer. Maddening.

The same problems that were there last summer are still here this summer, only more so. Liverpool need players to come in so that older players can be phased out. Last year's collapse was as much about the minutes in the legs as those missing with injury. The fundamental problem is that Liverpool's squad is old and needs a replacement plan, not desperately jumping from window to window filling gaps.

The year before Liverpool won the CL the club spent £160m on players. The following year again they did the same, and that enormous investment over those years resulted in two major honours. Since then the club has dramatically curtailed player investment and that is beginning to hurt.

This summer, I, like many other fans, hoped to see investment in the future. Konate is a start, but that was the buy that should have happened in January, effectively replacing Kabak. Had he come in then, the club wouldn't be dependent on three CBs coming back from long-term injury hitting the ground running at the start of the coming season.

Wijnaldum has left. "Hurrah", some say "more minutes for Elliott and Jones." But that means dropping the team's level to where those players currently are at. In time they may reach Wijnaldum's level, but if they were that good already, they already would have done so. So, just to get back to where Liverpool were at the end of the league last season, scraping 4th, they at least need one player to get to Wijnaldum's level, or more realistically bring in a replacement. After that, you need Gomez, Matip and VDV to get back up to speed to at least get them to where they were 2 seasons ago. And that still doesn't address the problem of an aging squad needing medium-term replacments of an equivalent level... and that is just to keep Liverpool competitive.

United, the team that finished ahead of Liverpool in second last season, have already signed a major star in Sancho and are looking to bring in Varane. Liverpool fans believe that once key personnel come back Liverpool will magically and effortlessly leap past them. It never works quite like that.

It feels like the ownership are wasting their most valuable asset, namely Klopp, asking him to do a Benitez and work magic with lesser lights. But he has proven that given the best players he gets the best results. I, for one, will be massively disappointed if Liverpool and FSG fail to adequately invest this summer and allow the team to meander forward into another season of getting by rather than competing.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
Doesn't necessarily sound like sour grapes.  Just good old fashioned stupid.

Nice throwaway comment. It was Friday night. I'm going to assume you were drunk when you typed this gem.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Nice throwaway comment. It was Friday night. I'm going to assume you were drunk when you typed this gem.
You know what assuming does, Chuckles.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Fucking novels about how shit the window is 2 weeks into the window. Gotta love a RAWK transfer thread.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
For those who know, Amadou Makadji has just  got married….

(One for the real transfer nerds there ;D)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
DW obviously took both the blue and red pills.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
For those who know, Amadou Makadji has just  got married….

(One for the real transfer nerds there ;D)

Sega best man?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
Sega best man?
Definitely there… ;)

Best man was Barry Saliou.  Who else?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 09:40:40 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Fucking novels about how shit the window is 2 weeks into the window. Gotta love a RAWK transfer thread.

I'm also looking forward the pre-season games, where the first bad performance or loss will be met with something similar.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
What a great signing Saul would be. Great injury record, reliable, versatile and loves Gerrard.

Can’t believe United have paid all that money for Saul, absolutely not worth it. One trick pony with questionable fitness.

See Saul wanted to stay in Spain, fair enough.

Covering all bases to delete as appropriate

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
What a great signing Saul would be. Great injury record, reliable, versatile and loves Gerrard.

Can’t believe United have paid all that money for Saul, absolutely not worth it. One trick pony with questionable fitness.

See Saul wanted to stay in Spain, fair enough.

Covering all bases to delete as appropriate
I’ve  never seen him play anyway so not really arsed
W

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
I’ve  never seen him play anyway so not really arsed

27 this year so passed his prime anyway.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So we were going to get Saul? Then Barca came in for him with a offer of a swap deal but the clubs couldn’t agree fees/wages. Now Utd have jumped to the head of the queue? What a strange transfer story and the funny thing is we’re all uncertain if we genuinely have any interest in the guy.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
So we were going to get Saul? Then Barca came in for him with a offer of a swap deal but the clubs couldn’t agree fees/wages. Now Utd have jumped to the head of the queue? What a strange transfer story and the funny thing is we’re all uncertain if we genuinely have any interest in the guy.

And the most weird thing is all or none of it could be true as it's been lived out in the strange world of Samie Twitter.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good

Genuinely baffling, particularly when ‘the normal voices’ quite often say ‘I’d like us to sign someone…but trust the manager if we don’t’.

The teams who have signed more than us so far I think are Leeds, Wolves, Brighton, Leicester, Watford, Palace, Burnley and Villa. Scary.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
I think a forward of some description should be the priority too, but it seems to be somewhat dependent on shifting Origi and Shaq. Midfield I'm a bit more relaxed about, but that's mostly because I really want to see more of Jones and I also have some faith that AOC and/or Keira can stop being injured so much, although that may well be a vain hope.

It's a tough one. We could well challenge for the title as things stand, but it would require VVD and Gomez coming back to what they were before the injuries, and Sadio and Bobby turning their form around. We have a really good squad, but it's reliant on a fair few ifs and maybes all working out, and personally I'm not too comfortable with our front three all aging together without a clear succession plan.
Yep, I'm on the same boat mate. It seems to me that we're a little too reliant on many things just going our way, but as we should have learned last season (with all the injuries), that rarely happens. Maybe we're actively targetting some forwards that no one knows about, but I'm with you in feeling uncomfortable in not seeing more activity on that front. 

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Genuinely baffling, particularly when ‘the normal voices’ quite often say ‘I’d like us to sign someone…but trust the manager if we don’t’.

The teams who have signed more than us so far I think are Leeds, Wolves, Brighton, Leicester, Watford, Palace, Burnley and Villa. Scary.

I mean look, it would be fucking amazing to sign every player we need to fill every weak position by the time pre-season starts and then the manager can have all that time to work with them all. Then all the sales that need to happen would all happen smoothly at some point before the window closes.

In a utopia that would be perfect. I imagine in footy manager you can make that happen too.

However in the real world it simply doesn't happen. Ever.

Inevitably a transfer window is a game of chess, but not between two players but between 10. Each move dependent on another's. You could have the best made plans in April, but a team won't often sell if they don't have a replacement, and the owner of that replacement won't often sell until they do, etc. Kind of like being in a chain when buying a house.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
Ahhh, another transfer window, more underwhelming investment, yet again some on here helpfully explaining that the relative lack of investment isn't, and everything is hunky dory.

-snip-

It feels like the ownership are wasting their most valuable asset, namely Klopp, asking him to do a Benitez and work magic with lesser lights. But he has proven that given the best players he gets the best results. I, for one, will be massively disappointed if Liverpool and FSG fail to adequately invest this summer and allow the team to meander forward into another season of getting by rather than competing.

Great post, DW. Explained your position far more clearly than I could have.
I'm concerned, particular the last paragraph that you wrote. It's a shame, the fact Klopp has shown he can not only make the most of what he has, but he can elevate the players or provide a platform that helps elevate them, to world class levels. Van Dijk and Allison came for world record prices, and yet within a year he positioned them in positions and styles of play that made any discussions of their prices, moot. Within two seasons they were bargains for their prices.

Would be a shame to waste this opportunity when we have such a tactical mind, such a motivating personality, such a positive character, and such a damn good individual, as the one currently managing the squad. I'm hoping against hope that FSG will consider the next two summer windows as ones they prioritise for investments on the squad.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite

Last summer was a lengthy series of back and forths on this forum, with some calling for investment and others explaining why it wasn't needed. All the voices saying there is no need to invest now, said the same thing last summer, all the way through the window, when, right at the end, Liverpool suddenly bought three players all in one go. Those who had said Liverpool didn't need players suddenly changed their tune, but that tune was "see, nothing to worry about".

The problem then, even more so this summer, is no longer the gaps in the squad (that still persist in terms of depth) but the age profile; Liverpool have 10 players, key players at that, in the 29-30+ bracket that need replacing in the medium to long-term. Jota was certainly in that mould, but Thiago was an elderstatesman and Tsimikas made 2 appearances in the league, in a year when the backline was devestated. So, only one of those three felt useful in the medium-to-long term.

The season started in 2020 and things were a little shakey, but ok. Then the injuries in key areas mounted and suddenly Liverpool were in dire straits. Come Christmas the holes were patched but still leaking, but the bigger iussue was tiredness, with key players rapidly running out of steam. This is not unusual in an aging sqaud with a lot of mileage. Enter the winter of our discontent and the fans are screaming for CBs in the transfer market.

Again, some were saying that LFC did not need transfers (often those who had said the same in the summer, right up until the point where players were brought in), as they believed Phillips and Williams would save the day, they were the future in fact. A month later, Liverpool are on the floor and at the last minute some cheap transfers occur, Kabak and Davies, and patch over the problems once more.

Again, those who had said at the start of the window that transfers were not necessary suddenly change tack and decide that these transfers mean no more problems. However, Kabak has already ended his loan and Davies has not even appeared once on the pitch (and is likely to move on).

So we come to this summer and so far just the one transfer, Konate. And again, people are saying if Liverpool end the summer without making any more transfers it will have been a good summer. Maddening.

The same problems that were there last summer are still here this summer, only more so. Liverpool need players to come in so that older players can be phased out. Last year's collapse was as much about the minutes in the legs as those missing with injury. The fundamental problem is that Liverpool's squad is old and needs a replacement plan, not desperately jumping from window to window filling gaps.

The year before Liverpool won the CL the club spent £160m on players. The following year again they did the same, and that enormous investment over those years resulted in two major honours. Since then the club has dramatically curtailed player investment and that is beginning to hurt.

This summer, I, like many other fans, hoped to see investment in the future. Konate is a start, but that was the buy that should have happened in January, effectively replacing Kabak. Had he come in then, the club wouldn't be dependent on three CBs coming back from long-term injury hitting the ground running at the start of the coming season.

Wijnaldum has left. "Hurrah", some say "more minutes for Elliott and Jones." But that means dropping the team's level to where those players currently are at. In time they may reach Wijnaldum's level, but if they were that good already, they already would have done so. So, just to get back to where Liverpool were at the end of the league last season, scraping 4th, they at least need one player to get to Wijnaldum's level, or more realistically bring in a replacement. After that, you need Gomez, Matip and VDV to get back up to speed to at least get them to where they were 2 seasons ago. And that still doesn't address the problem of an aging squad needing medium-term replacments of an equivalent level... and that is just to keep Liverpool competitive.

United, the team that finished ahead of Liverpool in second last season, have already signed a major star in Sancho and are looking to bring in Varane. Liverpool fans believe that once key personnel come back Liverpool will magically and effortlessly leap past them. It never works quite like that.

Completely agree, I would be very disappointed if we ended the window without any further signings as we definetly need them.
That said, I think most would say the same and we have a number of weeks left. The club always make it known that they don't like the Jan window and the summer is the time to do business (and proceeded to show it by acting way way too late in Jan) so we should just let them get on and see where we are at the end of the window.
I am hopeful that they will get the 2 new young players in we need.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm very bemused by the post and the people agreeing with it for this reason

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan

You beat me to it, I’ve been catching up with the thread and laughing out loud. Given the euros, transfers will generally be delayed too.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan

Hey, it’s well known that signing the most players means you win the transfer window and get bragging rights on social meeja.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
watch out now, you’ll get the Tiresome Twosome accusing you of having a religious defense of how Liverpool do their transfer work at this rate. And we can’t be having that.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan

Last summer was a lengthy series of back and forths on this forum, with some calling for investment and others saying it wasn't needed. All the voices criticising the club for not investing said the same thing last summer, all the way through the window, when, right at the end, Liverpool suddenly bought three players all in one go. Then, they didn't accept that they were wrong, or apologise, they just came back 12 months later doing the same shit again.

And who could forget 12 months earlier, when those same voices were critical of the club for not making any meaningful first team signings. Failing to build on a Champions League win they said, standing still they argued, slipping back into a top for race they believed. Did they accept that they wrong when we ended a 30 year title wait with a record number of points? Did they learn their lesson? Did they fuck. Before the season had finished they were right back to complaining about not signing Werner.

And I've literally not seen a semblance of an argument saying that we will be fine if we don't bring in some other players. It's just that some people have enough sense to realise that there are about 40 days left of the transfer window and that barely anyone has bought in more than one player. It's "maddening" that others can't see that, and even more maddening that we will be having the same nonsense spouted 12 months from now even if we go out and sign Mbappe and Haaland tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 11:11:30 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Massive revisionism here. We finished 18 points ahead of City in 19/20  and 33 ahead of United. In the summer, all three of us added three players of note - we got Tsimikas, Thiago and Jota, City got Ake, Dias and Torres and United got Telles, Van De Beek and Cavani. And the only person we lost from our first team squad was Lovren, while City lost Sane and Silva.

So it's pretty clear we did strengthen heavily last summer, and our summer window was every bit as good, if not better, than City and United. It doesn't need repeating why we dropped so much, but it's nothing to do with a lack of strengthening and everything to do with a freak injury crisis which left us without our three senior CBs for most of the season.

We've already signed a massive prospect in Konate, and it seems clear we'll strengthen further once we can free up some spots in the squad.
I'm sorry, but what? You think Tsmikas, a back-up left back from the Greek league who didn't start a single league game last year, was a player of note? You think signing one first-eleven standard player equals strengthening heavily? That we did 'as good or better' business than City, who signed the player of the year?

All of this, of course, ignoring the other three windows over the last two seasons, when everyone else has significantly strengthened their first 11. In that time we've bought a couple of decent prospects, one world class player because he happened to be going cheap, and a bunch of fringe players. It's how that 18/33 point margin turns into a deficit. This summer, our rivals are shooting for the likes of Sancho, Kane, Grealish and Haaland. Right now, the chances of us doing the same are pretty much zero - something I'm sure people on both sides of this argument agree on.

If you want to make the case that all this is a concerted strategy, go for it. I'm not going to agree it's the right strategy, but at least it's a good faith argument. Trying to pretend there's no difference between what we're doing compared to the teams around us is disingenuous and beneath you.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Transfer window shuts 11pm on Tuesday August 31.  :wave
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Will you wear a yellow tie on the night Roy?

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan

Good post, and I think killer heels is on something in another thread; think the club is making noise about playing AOC or Origi at forward because it’s the kind of bullshit that helps the club in the transfer great game.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Tsimikas would have been of more note had he a) not got covid, b) not got injured. And then because the whole central defence got injured, Klopp was totally reliant on Robbo and Trent to to provide the leadership and stability in his utterly crocked defence hence he felt he couldn’t leave them out (unless injured).  Never mind the lack of training time generally.

It’s a touch unfair to say he was less of a signing than the likes of Van der Beek for Man Utd or Ake for Abu Dhabi for instance.  Circumstances had more effect on him than any player.

And by the way, I got no dog in this fight, as I see both sides (sometimes!). I get the frustrations, but I also don’t get the drama at this point in time.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
It's how that 18/33 point margin turns into a deficit.

Is that how? Or did it have anything to do with us having 3 centre backs out injured for pretty much the whole season?

And you do realise that it has been our recruitment that gave us that 18/33 point margin in the first place?

Others can have transfer window long sagas involving some media darlings. We will instead just go about our business quietly and likely be better of for it.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
Craig, last year you were one of the people saying no problems. In the winter you also said no problems. The reason posts like mine are appearing is because the issues being flagged have persisted over several transfer windows. Our concerns being dismissed like we are wayward children is patronising, particularly as it has become a theme from window to window. Why not address the question? I find it interesting that the same criticism that people like both you and I have applied to Everton in the past (namely Moyes depending on an aging squad) are suddenly no longer valid when applied to Liverpool.

Last year you said Liverpool couldn't afford to buy players, then at the end of the window they spent a significant sum on just one. In Winter you said Liverpool couldn't afford CBs, then a few months later they suddenly could spend £30m on a CB.

This window is following the same pattern as the last number of windows. And when we express our concern we are laughed at and told we are foolish for expressing our concern. Yet, the ones that are consistently wrong are the ones telling us not to be concerned. So, excuse my lack of faith and excuse my concern about an aging squad, but 'don't worry its only x weeks into the transfer window' is getting a bit repetitive and tiresome now. And I am merely expressing my concern. It would be great if people could at least address the issues rather than dismiss them. I don't agree with Peter the red's appraisal, but at least he engaged rather than condescended.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
Will you wear a yellow tie on the night Roy?
Or a purple dildo? It seems far more apt for transfer season somehow
W

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Transfer window shuts 11pm on Tuesday August 31.  :wave

No it doesn't

It SLAMS shut
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Is that how? Or did it have anything to do with us having 3 centre backs out injured for pretty much the whole season?

And you do realise that it has been our recruitment that gave us that 18/33 point margin in the first place?
Yes, the recruitment where we signed proven world class players. Maybe you should ask yourself why we went into a season everyone knew would be the most physically exhausting in memory with only three centre backs in the first place, instead of signing a Lovren replacement when we knew Matip and Gomez were both injury prone.

Tsimikas would have been of more note had he a) not got covid, b) not got injured. And then because the whole central defence got injured, Klopp was totally reliant on Robbo and Trent to to provide the leadership and stability in his utterly crocked defence hence he felt he couldn’t leave them out (unless injured).  Never mind the lack of training time generally.

It’s a touch unfair to say he was less of a signing than the likes of Van der Beek for Man Utd or Ake for Abu Dhabi for instance.  Circumstances had more effect on him than any player.
Van De Beek was a Ballon d'or shortlisted player seen as one of the top young players in Europe, and he still played 19 games for the Mancs despite his own injury problems. Ake was signed at the same time as someone in a similar position who hugely stepped up. There really isn't any comparison, and if Klopp distrusted Tsmikas enough not to play him at all in a period where Robbo was clearly knackered, that isn't exactly a tick in his box.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Craig, last year you were one of the people saying no problems. In the winter you also said no problems. The reason posts like mine are appearing is because the issues being flagged have persisted over several transfer windows. Our concerns being dismissed like we are wayward children is patronising, particularly as it has become a theme from window to window. Why not address the question? I find it interesting that the same criticism that people like both you and I have applied to Everton in the past (namely Moyes depending on an aging squad) are suddenly no longer valid when applied to Liverpool.

They’re dismissed because it’s 18th July and the window has 6 weeks left.

Last year you said Liverpool couldn't afford to buy players, then at the end of the window they spent a significant sum on just one. In Winter you said Liverpool couldn't afford CBs, then a few months later they suddenly could spend £30m on a CB.

Last summer we played a great game and got Jota for buy now pay later. We’d not have got that early in the window.

We also tried to spend £24m on a defender during the Jan window. No one was crying poverty, just crying for the right player and not some desperate wrong signing to fill a hole for 6 months and then sit on the bench for 4.5 more years. Seems we played it right.

This window is following the same pattern as the last number of windows. And when we express our concern we are laughed at and told we are foolish for expressing our concern. Yet, the ones that are consistently wrong are the ones telling us not to be concerned. So, excuse my lack of faith and excuse my concern about an aging squad, but 'don't worry its only x weeks into the transfer window' is getting a bit repetitive and tiresome now. And I am merely expressing my concern. It would be great if people could at least address the issues rather than dismiss them. I don't agree with Peter the red's appraisal, but at least he engaged rather than condescended.

The window is following the same pattern that every window follows for pretty much ever club. I mean look how many big deals have been done.

All people are saying it writing a fucking novel about how shite we are and how shite the owners are and how shite the transfer window is, is probably a tad premature and whilst wondering if it’ll end this way it’s maybe wise to just see how things unfold. Then moan if needs be.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Jesus Wept the window has barely been active following the Euro's and Copa America which ended a week ago. We, naturally, are keeping our cards close to our chest as to who we want to buy, and yet people are throwing a temper tantrum because we aren't signing Haaland or some shit.