Poll

Just curious about the impact Covid-19 is having

I work in the UK and normally work from home
30 (17.8%)
I work in the UK and don't normally work from home but have started  to \ expect to by April
80 (47.3%)
I work in the UK and working from home isn't an option
33 (19.5%)
I live but don't work in the UK
0 (0%)
I don't live in the UK
26 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 169

Voting closed: March 23, 2020, 02:56:14 pm

Author Topic: Working From Home  (Read 171758 times)

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Working From Home
« Reply #440 on: May 12, 2020, 10:42:20 pm »
Crucially I think there might be kick back from headteacher unions...

They don’t really want to be responsible for killing their staff.

As a teacher, what do you think should happen? I think it would be mad to send 5 year olds, for example, to school. They’re not going to be following any guidelines. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #441 on: May 12, 2020, 11:15:44 pm »
As a teacher, what do you think should happen? I think it would be mad to send 5 year olds, for example, to school. They’re not going to be following any guidelines. 
I don’t know..

But I know any age of kid is going to be really hard to socially isolate.

My head tells me it’s way safer than at lock down, but another part of me also wonders what the hell we can do to protect staff.  There’s no guidance from the government on this whatsoever.

I suspect primary will go back on some form, probably split classes in two. 5 year olds don’t seem to suffer from it or preach it much so they aren’t a great problem.

Secondary? Some days in for year 10 and 12.... but whilst they understand social isolation they absolutely won’t all do it.  I’m looking at having maybe year 10 in one week and year 12 the next... lessons in large spaces where possible ...

But what’s safe? It’s all relative I suppose. And we need guidance.  What will keep staff safe?

And now I’m wondering whether we will see everyone back in school in September... I doubt it now.  And year exams for year 10 and 12 next year?  They start to look challenging to put on even now.  Kids will have missed huge chunks, some will be fine of course but others won’t  have done anything.  And because they will have missed different bits, the exams can’t be shortened easily.

It would be great to have guidance

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #442 on: May 13, 2020, 10:46:05 am »
I don’t know..

But I know any age of kid is going to be really hard to socially isolate.

My head tells me it’s way safer than at lock down, but another part of me also wonders what the hell we can do to protect staff.  There’s no guidance from the government on this whatsoever.

I suspect primary will go back on some form, probably split classes in two. 5 year olds don’t seem to suffer from it or preach it much so they aren’t a great problem.

Secondary? Some days in for year 10 and 12.... but whilst they understand social isolation they absolutely won’t all do it.  I’m looking at having maybe year 10 in one week and year 12 the next... lessons in large spaces where possible ...

But what’s safe? It’s all relative I suppose. And we need guidance.  What will keep staff safe?

And now I’m wondering whether we will see everyone back in school in September... I doubt it now.  And year exams for year 10 and 12 next year?  They start to look challenging to put on even now.  Kids will have missed huge chunks, some will be fine of course but others won’t  have done anything.  And because they will have missed different bits, the exams can’t be shortened easily.

It would be great to have guidance

The company I work for has produced some free guidance for schools around reopening, hope it helps:

https://www.theschoolbus.net/feature/coronavirus-covid19-recovery-phase-toolkit/7750
Believer

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #443 on: May 14, 2020, 01:06:45 pm »
So I got an email today at 4pm to ask if I can start to come in to work as of tomorrow to deal with, and I quote, 'queries etc..'

I work in the office of a manufacturing company and deal with suppliers only, never leave my computer.

I refused to go in and said before I go in I'd like clarity on what 'queries etc..' means because from where I stand, I've continued to do what I normally do from home, they will probably try to get rid of me as its a toxic work culture and owned by a family, I'm assuming if they do I can take the c*nts to a tribunal?

Couldn't make it up.

In a similar but perhaps less pressurised situation. Boss called me this morning to say I can work from the office again from Monday. The way he phrased it was that it's voluntary, but from his tone and knowing him, I know full well he probably expects me to do so. I didn't say I would and I didn't say I wouldn't.

My main role is pricing jobs for a responsive repair and building company, usually this will involve around 80-120 jobs per day as we have 30-40 engineers who cover a huge area of the country, so I can be very busy depending on the extent of the works. However, currently our engineers are either furloughed or doing very little work as they are not allowed in people's flats/houses unless it is an emergency, so more like 10-20 jobs per day.

From a personal perspective, last month was fine as I had a huge backlog to catch up on. I actually worked 30 hours overtime so was busier than ever, while half the company sat at home earning 80% of their normal wages for doing nothing, something I'll undoubtedly pay for in taxes in the future. Great that.

This month, though, I'm fairly caught up and so a lot less busy than usual as less work is coming in. I can guarantee he's looking at my activity thinking I'm slacking, when in reality there's simply less work to do, partly because I did so many extra hours last month, and partly because of the situation we as a business and the world is in. Me going into the office isn't going to change that. Only our engineers and business getting back to normal conditions will change that.

I don't think I'll be going in until that happens. Government guidelines are to work from home if you can, and I can. There's very, very little I can't do from home. And the guy I sit opposite who I'm sure will be in from Monday, I know for a fact doesn't wash his hands when he goes for a piss, the scruff. Fuck sharing a toilet with him.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 01:09:50 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #444 on: May 14, 2020, 01:08:42 pm »
Haven't the Govt said workmen can go into houses now as long as social distancing is adhered to?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: May 14, 2020, 01:13:54 pm »
Haven't the Govt said workmen can go into houses now as long as social distancing is adhered to?

I would assume so mate, as I was due to have in-built wardrobes fitted in my house before all of this happened, and he's text me this week saying he can come next week to do it. But I'm not sure how it's affecting our company yet as we essentially work for a larger one who govern us. Their guidelines will dictate what we can do. I know we're still on emergencies only at the moment, but I'm sure that'll change in the coming weeks. I've got no problem going back into the office when everyone else is working. I'm just disappointed they're asking me to go in already to be honest when I don't need to and they won't have made any provisions to make things safer.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: May 14, 2020, 01:28:01 pm »
Nursery have written to us to confirm they are now looking to welcome children back from 1st June.

We've been asked to confirm the days for our 2 year old so we've erred on the side of caution and asked for a July start. Not sure how nurseries will cope with any form of social distancing unless the restrict it to 1 2 1 with each member of staff.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #447 on: May 14, 2020, 01:49:50 pm »
We’ve been told were looking at months before we’re back in the office. It’s good that they’re putting employee safety at the front of their decision making but that feels a long, long way off before things get back to ‘normal’. It’s because the company offices are completely unsuitable for any kind of social distancing as things stand.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #448 on: May 14, 2020, 01:59:09 pm »
We’ve been told were looking at months before we’re back in the office. It’s good that they’re putting employee safety at the front of their decision making but that feels a long, long way off before things get back to ‘normal’. It’s because the company offices are completely unsuitable for any kind of social distancing as things stand.

Prob just before the second wave hits!

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #449 on: May 14, 2020, 02:10:21 pm »

We’ll likely be the same. Said to my boss the other day I’d be surprised if I see her in person before 2021!

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #450 on: May 14, 2020, 02:35:01 pm »
same here and probably wont even go back to the way it was. This situation has been a good test of working from home and I certainly wont be in the office full time. Already working out how much extra I can pay off the mortgage each month due to a 25%-30% reduction in commuting costs.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #451 on: May 14, 2020, 03:06:06 pm »

Same here, official word is carry on as we are now. I can't see how social distancing could work in our office space, plus the thought of sharing the kitchen and 2 unisex toilets doesn't fill me with great joy.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #452 on: May 14, 2020, 03:07:29 pm »
same here and probably wont even go back to the way it was. This situation has been a good test of working from home and I certainly wont be in the office full time. Already working out how much extra I can pay off the mortgage each month due to a 25%-30% reduction in commuting costs.

I’ve not managed to save any money! Just spent more on shopping and takeaways rather than travel and lunch.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: May 14, 2020, 03:33:49 pm »
I’ve not managed to save any money! Just spent more on shopping and takeaways rather than travel and lunch.

Same!  I justify it as looking after my mental health with nice food & wine
Believer

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #454 on: May 14, 2020, 03:38:07 pm »
Same!  I justify it as looking after my mental health with nice food & wine

Plus my wife doing online shops and then saying “oh my card is upstairs, have you got yours”. Need to stop falling for that one.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: May 14, 2020, 03:42:29 pm »
Plus my wife doing online shops and then saying “oh my card is upstairs, have you got yours”. Need to stop falling for that one.

Yeah...you need to get your online grocery account to remember her card details for next time, no excuse then!

My wife doesn't drive so I'm the sole shopper/payer
Believer

Offline Red_Bear

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #456 on: May 14, 2020, 07:22:36 pm »
We've been told that nothing will change for now, we'll all continue to work from home. I'm currently waiting for voluntary severance as part of a restructure that's been put on hold due to the current situation, so I can see me not going back in to the office except to clear out my locker once I finally finish!

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: May 14, 2020, 07:26:17 pm »

Same with my bro in London.

I’ve gone back to work for two days a week. It’s been great. My missus has said she noticed my mood lift.

I can walk to work and I have my own office.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #458 on: May 14, 2020, 09:04:11 pm »
Prob just before the second wave hits!
This has to be understood....

There will be a second wave...  this isn’t just going to die out.

There’s lots to do yet.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: May 14, 2020, 10:23:08 pm »
Went into the office today to grab a few things and my desk had been covered in crime scene tape and "DO NOT USE THIS DESK" stickers.  Five out of every six desks was the same.  It made it feel a bit more real than the half-arsed lockdown I see out of my front window every day.

As a result I've finally accepted my fate and bought a proper desk for at home.  Two months of resting a laptop on my knees and waking up every day with a seized up back is probably enough!

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: May 15, 2020, 12:14:44 am »
Went into the office today to grab a few things and my desk had been covered in crime scene tape and "DO NOT USE THIS DESK" stickers.  Five out of every six desks was the same.  It made it feel a bit more real than the half-arsed lockdown I see out of my front window every day.

As a result I've finally accepted my fate and bought a proper desk for at home.  Two months of resting a laptop on my knees and waking up every day with a seized up back is probably enough!

;D

So many of my colleagues have been working like that too, working from kitchen worktops, etc. If I didn’t have a desk, I’d have asked work to pay for one.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #461 on: May 15, 2020, 07:24:49 am »
We’ll likely be the same. Said to my boss the other day I’d be surprised if I see her in person before 2021!

I was on a call with my boss and two senior managers yesterday and before we got down to the actual meeting one of them said he didn't think we'd be back until this time next year.

I don't know where he got that from, whether he's been involved in actual discussions or was just talking BS. I have to admit, if that is the case I can see us moving to a reduced number of desks. We have around five locations around the country and all have call center staff (most, if not all are working from home currently) and I can see them consolidating numbers eventually.

Unfortunately some companies are going to see benefits to their P&L from this.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #462 on: May 15, 2020, 08:05:39 am »
Llallanainpyjamas - do your people do small , domestic jobs. Mostly the sort a decent DIY person could handle?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: May 15, 2020, 09:37:46 am »
I have absolutely loved working from home. I have a desk setup and so does my wife. We're both getting more exercise, eating better as we're not rushing home from work, seeing more of each other and able to spend more time doing things we enjoy. I'm going to push for working from home when we go back to the office (not looking likely until at least August). My mental health has never been better and my commute is only an hour door to door

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: May 15, 2020, 10:11:19 am »
Llallanainpyjamas - do your people do small , domestic jobs. Mostly the sort a decent DIY person could handle?

Not as such mate, we work for a major national provider of specialist housing and care so it covers plumbing, carpentry, electrical, and more specialised works which we often subcontract. So while a lot of the jobs we do may come under the bracket you've asked there (e.g. a leaky toilet or sink), a lot are beyond most people's capabilities I would have thought.

A lot of the tenants we are responsible for are elderly, mentally ill etc, which is why I cannot see us magically going back to normal any time soon as these people are more at risk. Emergency call-outs are running as normal, and I'd imagine we'll be able to do external works again very soon (e.g. fencing, outside lamps, paving etc), as well as void properties.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: May 15, 2020, 01:04:00 pm »
I have absolutely loved working from home. I have a desk setup and so does my wife. We're both getting more exercise, eating better as we're not rushing home from work, seeing more of each other and able to spend more time doing things we enjoy. I'm going to push for working from home when we go back to the office (not looking likely until at least August). My mental health has never been better and my commute is only an hour door to door
No wonder you're enjoying it so much, your house must be bloody massive!

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: May 15, 2020, 01:16:25 pm »
A lot of the tenants we are responsible for are elderly, mentally ill etc, which is why I cannot see us magically going back to normal any time soon as these people are more at risk. Emergency call-outs are running as normal, and I'd imagine we'll be able to do external works again very soon (e.g. fencing, outside lamps, paving etc), as well as void properties.
It was more of a pitch to find someone to do odd jobs I need now and then as I am hopeless with a hammer!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: May 15, 2020, 01:33:59 pm »
It was more of a pitch to find someone to do odd jobs I need now and then as I am hopeless with a hammer!

Haha! To be honest mate, while we do cover a few schemes in the Northampton area (if that's where you're based?), we don't have anyone who is based in that area (think the closest are Oxford, Luton and Peterborough) so you'd almost certainly be better finding someone from closer as they'd probably charge some travel time.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: May 15, 2020, 03:32:32 pm »

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: May 15, 2020, 11:23:12 pm »

That’s by car too.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #470 on: May 15, 2020, 11:29:56 pm »
So we're now being told not to think of it as 'working from home' but 'staying at home trying to work'

Our union was heavily involved in our working conditions even before all this so think it's going to be a long time til we're back in the office.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #471 on: May 15, 2020, 11:32:47 pm »
Also has anyone tried claiming back the tax refund from working from home?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: May 16, 2020, 08:35:37 am »
So we're now being told not to think of it as 'working from home' but 'staying at home trying to work'

Our union was heavily involved in our working conditions even before all this so think it's going to be a long time til we're back in the office.
Staying at home , pretending to work, for some :)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #473 on: May 16, 2020, 11:44:51 am »

I've seen that idea referenced at many companies and while it's great, my worry is the tone treats it almost like a holiday, which will prevent it's widespread adoption and assumes most people are doing the bare minimum.

Pandora's box is open for me. I'm getting more work done and getting anywhere between 6 to 7.5 hoursof my time  back each week as a result of no commuting. I've used that commuting time to exercise and feel that I'm in the best shape I've been in for years,with the added bonus of improved mental health.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: May 16, 2020, 04:03:39 pm »
Got unfurloughed Friday and struggled like mad to work. Been thrown into a project to introduce a new phone system by next Friday, no coding but they want a developers logic to do an IF ELSE THEN flow so the system can be set up to do what we want. No meetings until a Skype Monday afternoon, no tech specs, no fucking plan. Gone from chilled to stressed in a second.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #475 on: May 16, 2020, 05:18:31 pm »
Staying at home , pretending to work, for some :)

Some are taking the actual piss.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #476 on: May 16, 2020, 08:33:16 pm »
Some are taking the actual piss.

Does anyone ever take the pretend piss?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: May 16, 2020, 10:03:00 pm »
Got unfurloughed Friday and struggled like mad to work. Been thrown into a project to introduce a new phone system by next Friday, no coding but they want a developers logic to do an IF ELSE THEN flow so the system can be set up to do what we want. No meetings until a Skype Monday afternoon, no tech specs, no fucking plan. Gone from chilled to stressed in a second.
Specs Rob? The ones i normally get aren't worth the fuel cost of delivering they paper they were written on.
Good luck with the phones!

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: May 20, 2020, 09:23:28 am »
Also has anyone tried claiming back the tax refund from working from home?

Woke up early this morning and did it before starting work. Pretty straight forward if you have the HMRC online government gateway pass setup already. Only took about 15 minutes.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #479 on: May 20, 2020, 09:30:59 am »
Woke up early this morning and did it before starting work. Pretty straight forward if you have the HMRC online government gateway pass setup already. Only took about 15 minutes.

What's the claim worth?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.