Author Topic: Premier League suspended until safe to resume  (Read 162690 times)

Offline rhysd

• Kopite
  • Igor
Re: Premier League suspended until 3rd April
« Reply #280 on: March 13, 2020, 08:14:35 pm »
Is there not a chance the players and club staff will be isolated for a couple of weeks, then get tested and if all clear the games are played behind closed doors?

Also if it gets cancelled, could relegated teams actually do anything legally? As they would be losing tens of millions of pounds. Teams like Bournmouth and Villa still have a real chance of staying up given they have 9 or so games left to save themselves.

How would that work? Could they sue?

Plus teams like Leeds, they could miss out on £100m or so if their potential promotion to the premier league gets cancelled.
20 and 7

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #281 on: March 13, 2020, 08:20:46 pm »
Is there not a chance the players and club staff will be isolated for a couple of weeks, then get tested and if all clear the games are played behind closed doors?

Also if it gets cancelled, could relegated teams actually do anything legally? As they would be losing tens of millions of pounds. Teams like Bournmouth and Villa still have a real chance of staying up given they have 9 or so games left to save themselves.

Plus teams like Leeds, they could miss out on £100m or so if their potential promotion to the premier league gets cancelled.

What if one of the players' family member picks it up from being in contact with a 'commoner' and gives it to a player?  You're back to square one. Or what do you do with the coach driver that transports players? Do they have to live on their own? Unfortunately, the reality is you won't see a football kicked in England for a long while. I believe almost everyone is coming round to that now.

Offline Mini Soda Scousephile

• Give us a snog, now.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • At the end of the storm there's a golden sky
« Reply #282 on: March 13, 2020, 08:21:42 pm »
Can't say I'm surprised, or that it wasn't the right decision, but definitely a disheartening way to finish out what should be a joyful season  :-[

Hopefully things can get right again and we can do this proper.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: March 13, 2020, 08:23:51 pm »
Same. Not having manc scum (and others) laughing we've not won the premiership when we basically have. There are ways around this. Just start the season up again later and push next season back. Could also bin the league cup and fa cup next season.

Absolutely. And all of the messages are consistent in saying that all of these things are far more likely than binning off the league. The last few days on this forum would make for a really interesting study on the spread of panic and herd mentality. Every bit of actual information makes it clear how completing the season at a later date is absolutely the way they're going, supporting all the arguments about the logic of it. But then one person says, "yeah but they might not do that" and everyone loses their shit again. It's mad.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #284 on: March 13, 2020, 08:25:48 pm »

If it's cancelled altogether, it creates a shitshow of epic proportions.

For me, the only way to avert this is to declare that the season will be completed when circumstances allow.

This means there can be no argument over placings, relegations, champions etc.

To my mind, the league should declare as soon as possible that the season definitely will continue to it's conclusion when possible to do so. Doing so will clear up once and for all where clubs stand. Finishing it averts so many problems and is the sensible thing to do.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: March 13, 2020, 08:28:24 pm »
Its crazy that people are saying stop and start a new season again. Its like they think this virus respects the football calendar.

This will be back according to most experts even if we effectively get through the other side. We have no cure or no protection.

There needs to be a method to set up for a league to conclude.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #286 on: March 13, 2020, 08:28:59 pm »
Absolutely. And all of the messages are consistent in saying that all of these things are far more likely than binning off the league. The last few days on this forum would make for a really interesting study on the spread of panic and herd mentality. Every bit of actual information makes it clear how completing the season at a later date is absolutely the way they're going, supporting all the arguments about the logic of it. But then one person says, "yeah but they might not do that" and everyone loses their shit again. It's mad.

The intention is very much to finish the season. The longer it drags on (impact going to get a lot worse before it gets better) the more clubs will start flapping about next season and looking at alternatives.

In reality it's not going away next year anyway, so cancelling this season would set a dangerous precedent for when it hits again in the winter.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #287 on: March 13, 2020, 08:29:30 pm »
Can't say I'm surprised, or that it wasn't the right decision, but definitely a disheartening way to finish out what should be a joyful season  :-[

Hopefully things can get right again and we can do this proper.

If there is any sense left, the season will finish. Though it will just be a lot later than it would have been.

Although it is disheartening, society has bigger fish to fry than football just now.

Just imagine how utterly amazing it will feel once we finally lift the trophy, especially after the current trauma all of us in society are experiencing at the moment.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline nyrrard

• Anny Roader
  • at the end of the storm there's a Golden sky!
« Reply #288 on: March 13, 2020, 08:34:49 pm »
Play behind locked doors, or hand out the fair way ; IE how it is now, then restart same teams next year. Anything else would be unlogical and everyone knows it, especially in PL with LFC’s lead.

Offline MH41

• Kopite
« Reply #289 on: March 13, 2020, 08:37:47 pm »
Not sure if it has been mentioned already, but there is also a human/family/compassionate aspect to this all, and players, as already shown by the positive test results, are not immune to all of this.
For example, how long can we 'keep the players' in this country. What about their loved ones in their home country? They may want to see them. They may want to 'go home' for a while, or for good. Heaven forbid, but some of their loved ones may fall ill, or worse.
There are so many issues that are more important than football right now.

Online andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: March 13, 2020, 08:41:46 pm »
Cancel the Euros.

Play through May, June and July if needed to complete this season.

Cancel both domestic cups next season.

Play CL and Europa league qualifiers over one leg starting in August.

Apart from any outstanding Euro qualifiers no international breaks for meaningless friendlies before 2021.

Start next seasons CL and Europa groups in October.

Start 20/21 domestic season in mid September.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 08:46:27 pm by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #291 on: March 13, 2020, 08:54:20 pm »
We will be crowned champions of England this season, no other conclusion makes sense. We can at least call us Champions of Europe for a little while longer, I like that.

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #292 on: March 13, 2020, 08:58:06 pm »
If they void it, the Man City bus welcome will look like the teddy bear’s picnic in comparison to the likely response.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #293 on: March 13, 2020, 09:10:00 pm »
Cancel the Euros.

Apart from any outstanding Euro qualifiers no international breaks for meaningless friendlies before 2021.

Cancel the Euros.

Play through the summer as needed to complete this season.

Cancel the League Cup for good, assess the FA Cup for next season (keep it is my preference).

Use all international dates that facilitate friendlies to complete club football competitions.

Sorted.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline norecat

• Kopite
« Reply #294 on: March 13, 2020, 09:12:57 pm »
We are dealing with a complete unknown situation. Pausing the season makes sense. I realistically don't foresee the season starting up again in April. I think they had to give a restart date but realistically it's more of a let's see where we are at that stage announcement. This thing is the most serious situation I have ever witnessed in my life time.

The first priority has to be human life. Everything else is secondary.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: March 13, 2020, 09:13:46 pm »
My random shout was to finish it when we we can

New season then split into two with 1st, 3rd, 5th etc in one group 2nd,4th,6th etc in the other

Allows less games and then playoff for the important bits at the end, champions, Europe, relegation. Repeat it down the pyramid

Would allow this to finish and new season to be squeezed in to a smaller window. Back to normal 21/22 season

Wouldn’t happen but hey ho!

Offline davealexred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #296 on: March 13, 2020, 09:17:51 pm »
Cancel the Euros.

You’ve got it sussed. Thanks mate.

Offline jizzspunk

• Cumming soon. Or going. Depends how 'real' it gets. #livinginrealism
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: March 13, 2020, 09:20:08 pm »
On a sporting perspective the only need is to complete the league programmes..domestically and Central Europe etc...conclude champions. promotion.. relegation

All cup competitions can be scrapped...

The former can be done in 4-5 weeks by playing weekends and midweeks...even if football starts back up late April it can be wrapped up by end of May

according to 24/7 I will be scrambling round for tickets on the exchange all season #STH #19awayclub

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: March 13, 2020, 09:22:57 pm »
Oh, don't scrap both domestic cup competitions... Keep the FA Cup and call it COVID Cup next season. Fuck the League Cup like all other nations that had it have done.

Online andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: March 13, 2020, 09:23:36 pm »
My random shout was to finish it when we we can

New season then split into two with 1st, 3rd, 5th etc in one group 2nd,4th,6th etc in the other

Allows less games and then playoff for the important bits at the end, champions, Europe, relegation. Repeat it down the pyramid

Would allow this to finish and new season to be squeezed in to a smaller window. Back to normal 21/22 season

Wouldn’t happen but hey ho!

Creative thinking is what is needed. 
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #300 on: March 13, 2020, 09:27:34 pm »
There's easily ways round this, my issue is I don't believe the leaders of the PL are motivated enough to do it. Cancelling the league is the easiest option for them. I am starting to get genuinely worried about this. They could have easily released a statement today rubbishing claims it will be null and void and they haven't.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: March 13, 2020, 09:34:19 pm »
Cancel the Euros.

That's not going to happen ever. The problem is that there are multiple competitions and associated with that are major financial revenues that come with the competitions (sponsorship, TV revenues etc) Getting all of these different groups to talk and agree on something is not realistic. From the club level, there are also some clubs that are very much interested in seeing the season written off and starting over next season e.g. any relegation threatened club will want a decent break and then try again next year. Meanwhile, any team that is due to win something (us) or get promoted will have every intention of getting on the pitch and finishing the season.

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong in declaring a champion for the season, albeit incomplete. At the same, time if no further games were played, they could just keep the leagues the same for next season. After all, there's pretty much no doubt amongst anyone that we were going to win the league, and we've completed the majority of the season so I doubt any team would get their knickers in a twist if we were declared champions.

In order for this season to be completed, they would need to be able to return safely and then complete the remaining few games. I don't think they'll be back on the field before May/June. That leaves basically the pre-season to be able to do it.  If the clubs were willing to forego their camps/trips to complete the season, then maybe it'll happen.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #302 on: March 13, 2020, 09:36:33 pm »
I really can't see it getting cancelled. It would create such chaos in determining who goes up/down and Europe even without factoring us in. Could see it going in to the Summer if needed. Knockout competitions don't really matter so much but the nature of league competitions means they can't really just get cancelled.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: March 13, 2020, 09:36:51 pm »
FIFA calling for internationals to be cancelled.

Euro 2020 play-offs have moved a step closer to being postponed after Fifa recommended all upcoming internationals should be called off.

More: https://bbc.in/2TQpFOR

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #304 on: March 13, 2020, 09:37:23 pm »
There's easily ways round this, my issue is I don't believe the leaders of the PL are motivated enough to do it. Cancelling the league is the easiest option for them. I am starting to get genuinely worried about this. They could have easily released a statement today rubbishing claims it will be null and void and they haven't.

Inforus, inforus, they’ve all gorrit inforus.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #305 on: March 13, 2020, 09:39:15 pm »

Clubs, owners and fans will demand that they DO get motivated!  There's too much money involved.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: March 13, 2020, 09:40:38 pm »
Ironic that COVID got to 19 first...

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: March 13, 2020, 09:41:10 pm »
FIFA calling for internationals to be cancelled.

Forever I hope.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: March 13, 2020, 09:48:13 pm »
Ironic that COVID got to 19 first...

Let's hope it never becomes this ...     ©VOID-19

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: March 13, 2020, 09:51:25 pm »

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: March 13, 2020, 09:54:23 pm »

They're hardly going to release any statement that is definitive right now when no one has a clue what state the world will be in next week or in the coming weeks. They can't promise it wont be a void league and then when things become impossible to continue turn round and say oh yeah sorry it is void after all.

This delay until April let's them sit back and see what unfolds. There'll be all sorts of shite in the media and online in this time, but you won't have a clear answer about what is happening with this league until April 3rd at the very earliest.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline red whine

• goes to my hhead
  • Main Stander
« Reply #311 on: March 13, 2020, 10:07:33 pm »
Apologies if this had been mentioned before but according to someone in the know on talksport earlier the season has to be completed otherwise there will be massive financial penalties from broadcasters who have paid for rights to show games.

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #312 on: March 13, 2020, 10:14:26 pm »
Apologies if this had been mentioned before but according to someone in the know on talksport earlier the season has to be completed otherwise there will be massive financial penalties from broadcasters who have paid for rights to show games.
Are talksport in the knows more reliable than sky sources? ;)
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Big Dirk

• But with Little Harnds. One of these is incorrerct.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #313 on: March 13, 2020, 10:21:12 pm »
I wasn’t actually worried about the season being abandoned until listening to Dan Roan reporting for BBC1 news tonight and he says it is a real possibility.
Born a Red-Live a Red-Die a Red

Offline gary75

• Despite all his care, he suffers from a sticky ring.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #314 on: March 13, 2020, 10:25:51 pm »
Just a random question, but if the season is halted for a prolonged period, what would happen to players with contracts that are expiring, I can only assume short term deals would be offered until the season was completed.

Anyway, hope everyone affected makes a speedy recovery.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #315 on: March 13, 2020, 10:25:52 pm »
I wasn’t actually worried about the season being abandoned until listening to Dan Roan reporting for BBC1 news tonight and he says it is a real possibility.

He also said this earlier on

But as it stands, there seems to be a determination to complete the season if at all possible.

Simply stopping the season as it stands now seems unlikely given it would run the risk of legal action from clubs relegated or denied promotion.
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline red whine

• goes to my hhead
  • Main Stander
« Reply #316 on: March 13, 2020, 10:27:59 pm »
Being abandoned doesn't mean we won't get the title though? Like when a game is abandoned after 70 mins the result stands. Being null and void is what we don't want.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: March 13, 2020, 10:28:03 pm »
I can’t see the season being abandoned, too many complications with this. Not just us winning the league but other teams like Wolves, Sheff Utd who could have the possibility of European football next season, which has financial implications. On top of that are the teams in the lower division, those who would otherwise have been promoted are instead punished...

That alone just makes abandoning the season a non starter really.

However the most important thing is beating this shitty virus, and eradicating it so that all of life and go on as normal rather than being put on hold...

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #318 on: March 13, 2020, 10:29:54 pm »
For me cancelling sporting events is pointless if the football players kids are still going to school and families are still socialising. How on earth is that going to have any impact when everyone else is still functioning as normal.

Either there is a complete lockdown or we function as normal. As mentioned before if there would be around 500,000 people attending football matches across say the prem and championship this weekend but 2,000,000 using the london tube everyday (god knows the total on public transport) how is cancelling games going to make any difference in the here and now. I understand cancelling Arsenal and chelsea's game but everyone else should have continued if fit to do so. Unless there is tighter restrictions on the public in general than cancelling sporting events is a drop in the ocean. Honestly don't think we will be seeing anymore football now this side of summer.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #319 on: March 13, 2020, 10:34:35 pm »
Fucking Friday the 13th ladies and gents. A horrible day for us reds, let's hope it's not going to get worse and the death toll starts to rack up.

I'm sure we will have football in June and July, but maybe not before. Let's hope we have past the worst of it by May.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...