Author Topic: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...  (Read 859734 times)

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...
« Reply #13280 on: June 11, 2020, 04:49:58 pm »
There's never anything positive about the Premier League refs..

Does anyone know what the Bundesligs tests have produced each week? We heard there were 10 when they first got tested in the weeks leading up to their restart but nothing since?

I'm just wondering what happens if a Premier League player tests positive in say 3 weeks time. They'd have come into contact not only with their whole team but also other teams' players as well. But I guess as it's an outdoor space it wont necessarily mean they've infected anyone from another team?
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #13281 on: June 11, 2020, 04:58:25 pm »
I was just coming in to post something similar. Things are far more nuanced in the lower leagues where gate money is the major income source.
If they vote to play, it's behind closed doors and they would have to unfurlough their players, so there's very little point. What it also shows is how daft the "lets all just start again in August" brigade were, because as long as fans can't attend, there is no lower league football, or lower league clubs for that matter.

Indeed, i've been postins similar sentiments too why lower leagues have decided to end there season now being more reliant on gate money, Tranmere average 6-7k, & as said Tranmere are one of the better run clubs in the lower divisions, & they're struggling big time through lack of money, others could well go under big time.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 05:17:31 pm by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #13282 on: June 11, 2020, 05:15:43 pm »
Tranmere are one of the better run clubs in the lower divisions, & they're struggling big time through lack of monty, others could well go under big time.

Unable to go full monty?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #13283 on: June 11, 2020, 05:18:00 pm »
Unable to go full monty?

Ooops typo. ;D
#Sausages

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #13284 on: June 11, 2020, 06:25:40 pm »
Now this is interesting

Matt Slater@mjshrimper
Some interesting news from FIFA, no, really. They've announced 3 regulatory tweaks & 2 could be significant for leagues finishing their seasons this summer: 1) players can now PLAY for 3 clubs in one season 2) leagues can open the summer transfer window before this season is done

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13285 on: June 11, 2020, 06:35:48 pm »
Leagues will be allowed to open transfer windows before the current campaign is concluded under new regulations announced by Fifa on Thursday

Full story: https://bbc.in/30K4Pon

Offline Americano12345

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13286 on: June 11, 2020, 10:34:51 pm »
I was just coming in to post something similar. Things are far more nuanced in the lower leagues where gate money is the major income source.
If they vote to play, it's behind closed doors and they would have to unfurlough their players, so there's very little point. What it also shows is how daft the "lets all just start again in August" brigade were, because as long as fans can't attend, there is no lower league football, or lower league clubs for that matter.

Something that I've heard... I listen to the 'Price of Football' podcast w/Kieran Maguire. Not sure how many know him, he does a lot of football financial stuff. He mentioned the other day that it could be possible that the lower leagues (League 1 and below pretty much) might have to consider a hibernation of sorts should the case of fans not being able to attend. Even talks about a vast majority of championship clubs not being financially sustainable as well which is eye opening.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #13287 on: June 12, 2020, 09:03:11 am »
I see that Underarmour have introduced a sport face mask. I wonder whether this will become the norm.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13288 on: June 12, 2020, 09:24:25 am »
Something that I've heard... I listen to the 'Price of Football' podcast w/Kieran Maguire. Not sure how many know him, he does a lot of football financial stuff. He mentioned the other day that it could be possible that the lower leagues (League 1 and below pretty much) might have to consider a hibernation of sorts should the case of fans not being able to attend. Even talks about a vast majority of championship clubs not being financially sustainable as well which is eye opening.
Interesting, thanks for posting, I agree, I can see that happening because the models are already teetering on the brink. I looked at a couple of Championship clubs' accounts last year and it is horrific reading.

As an example. Birmingham City; revenue 23m (5m gate, 8m TV, 10m commercial), staff costs 32m! Total costs 45m plus 8m player impairment. Operating loss of 29.3m on revenue of 23m.

OK there's bits to add back in, but to have staff costs alone accounting for 140% of revenue is astonishing. They either need to find and sell a Jude Bellingham every few years or rely on their owners, but that is a fucked up model. The frightening thing is, it's far from untypical in that division.

Lower down, the wages are probably more sensible, but gate money will be even more important, and given Birmingham make  £5m on crowds of 22,000, most League one and 2 clubs won't come close to that. The wages will be lower, but the % losses may be similar.

Then if the lower premier league clubs, also struggling, decide they can no longer take £20m punts on the top championship talent, then the get out of jail card for the Birminghams of this world is removed, so they rely on owners' willingness to fund increasing losses. As we've seem many times in the past, there comes a point when every ownership group says "that's enough".

Bottom line is that Championship players are earning money that doesn't exist, so the wages need to come down.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #13289 on: June 12, 2020, 09:26:13 am »
Interesting, thanks for posting, I agree, I can see that happening because the models are already teetering on the brink. I looked at a couple of Championship clubs' accounts last year and it is horrific reading.

As an example. Birmingham City; revenue 23m (5m gate, 8m TV, 10m commercial), staff costs 32m! Total costs 45m plus 8m player impairment. Operating loss of 29.3m on revenue of 23m.

OK there's bits to add back in, but to have staff costs alone accounting for 140% of revenue is astonishing. They either need to find and sell a Jude Bellingham every few years or rely on their owners, but that is a fucked up model. The frightening thing is, it's far from untypical in that division.

Lower down, the wages are probably more sensible, but gate money will be even more important, and given Birmingham make  £5m on crowds of 22,000, most League one and 2 clubs won't come close to that. The wages will be lower, but the % losses may be similar.

Then if the lower premier league clubs, also struggling, decide they can no longer take £20m punts on the top championship talent, then the get out of jail card for the Birminghams of this world is removed, so they rely on owners' willingness to fund increasing losses. As we've seem many times in the past, there comes a point when every ownership group says "that's enough".

Bottom line is that Championship players are earning money that doesn't exist, so the wages need to come down.
For all of the concern for L1, L2 and Pyramid clubs, I can see a number of championship clubs - especially those who are subject to the drop - being susceptible to serious issues.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #13290 on: June 12, 2020, 09:37:26 am »

According to that 'Sunderland till I die' documentary, the average Championship wage is £12,000 a week!!! Surely it isn't that high?  :o

I'd imagine most teams relegated from the Premier League have clauses in contracts that reduce wages significantly. I'd imagine there are some players on £20,000+ a week... in Division 2!

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13291 on: June 12, 2020, 09:39:44 am »

The problem is that the alternative is to cut costs dramatically on player wages and transfer fees, but because the majority of clubs won't do that, it will only lead to relegation for those that do. This in turn will lead to fan unrest towards the owners and managers, so they cannot win. Meanwhile, clubs that carry on spending above their means will be the ones rewarded as they will be up against less clubs spending at their level, meaning less competition for promotion. It's a vicious cycle that I think needs to be altered through all clubs and fans accepting a change of approach is required, but then all it takes is for one club to go against the grain (like Salford) and we will be back where we started. That's why I think a salary cup (percentage against income) is required.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 09:41:22 am by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13292 on: June 12, 2020, 09:56:23 am »
^
Oh, I agree, one club acting alone is like unilateral disarmament, leaves them very vulnerable. There does need to be a broad approach and I remember listening to a Championship chairman advocating that.

But will there be any level of trust with a £200m pot of gold at stake? That said, even without such a financial leg up, years ago all teams still wanted promotion.

Offline Amatt

• Amoo, Amass.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #13293 on: June 12, 2020, 10:37:24 am »
I see that Underarmour have introduced a sport face mask. I wonder whether this will become the norm.

Adidas have one available as well. Probably just a bit of cloth with a logo on sold for an inflated price.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13294 on: June 12, 2020, 10:42:59 am »
Adidas have one available as well. Probably just a bit of cloth with a logo on sold for an inflated price.
How long before we see official facemask provider deals?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #13295 on: June 12, 2020, 10:58:17 am »
Has there been any mention re: whether the PL will open registration to allow players returning from loan to be eligible to play in the remainder of the PL season? For example, Gruijic will be returning to us at the end of June.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13296 on: June 12, 2020, 11:00:01 am »
Has there been any mention re: whether the PL will open registration to allow players returning from loan to be eligible to play in the remainder of the PL season? For example, Gruijic will be returning to us at the end of June.

Nothing official, but I would be astonished if they allowed any squad changes.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Amatt

• Amoo, Amass.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #13297 on: June 12, 2020, 11:22:08 am »
How long before we see official facemask provider deals?

No doubt someone’s probably thinking that. Official face mask provider to (insert club name)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #13298 on: June 12, 2020, 11:24:11 am »

I figure this is the case, but wasn't sure given FIFA's amendment allowing players to play for three clubs in a season

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #13299 on: June 12, 2020, 11:38:16 am »
No excuses when they demonstrate vision problems then.  ;D

Did they all drive to Barnard Castle as part of the test?

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13300 on: June 12, 2020, 11:55:24 am »

William Saliba cant play for Arsenal till next season even though the French league season is already over. Hes training at Arsenal but cant play.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #13301 on: June 12, 2020, 01:45:19 pm »
William Saliba cant play for Arsenal till next season even though the French league season is already over. Hes training at Arsenal but cant play.

I’d have thought it’d be better to minimise the impact of him training with Arsenal? You don’t want him catching the Mustafis
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13302 on: June 12, 2020, 02:20:56 pm »
Wembley Stadium will host the League One final on Monday, 13 July, after dates were confirmed for the division's play-off fixtures.

More: https://bbc.in/30zWlQv

Online Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13303 on: June 12, 2020, 07:11:34 pm »
Watching live Turkish football on BT....they are BCD of course but the artificial crowd noise is off the scale.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #13304 on: June 13, 2020, 08:59:39 am »

New players can't play, however Gruijic is on the PL website as part of our squad and he's clearly registered as a player with us.

I can't see why he couldn't get a run out. Suspect the club would confirm this to avoid another situation like the League cup

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13305 on: June 13, 2020, 09:08:34 am »
New players can't play, however Gruijic is on the PL website as part of our squad and he's clearly registered as a player with us.

I can't see why he couldn't get a run out. Suspect the club would confirm this to avoid another situation like the League cup

Because others deserve it more and even if he could get a run out I doubt he will.

Not sure the he would be allowed anyway.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #13306 on: June 13, 2020, 10:04:38 am »
'He ran away and left his wife for a youngone '
Neil, Rick, Vyvvian or Mike?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #13307 on: June 13, 2020, 10:55:40 am »
Wow, I had no idea fans were allowed back in. No covid fears in Serbia then.

Looks to me like they are doing a pretty good job of fumigating.

Offline Kopout

• Should really just Logout......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13308 on: June 13, 2020, 11:14:30 am »
Crowds in new zealand sports already without social distancing etc

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XDlQ3Bw2ZfA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XDlQ3Bw2ZfA</a>

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #13309 on: June 13, 2020, 11:18:53 am »
Crowds in new zealand sports already without social distancing etc

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XDlQ3Bw2ZfA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XDlQ3Bw2ZfA</a>

I know New Zealand has won plaudits in how they have handled the crises but I think it's way too early for things like this to be happening.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jlb

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13310 on: June 13, 2020, 11:23:06 am »
New Zealand have declared themselves Covid free after going two weeks without any new cases.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13311 on: June 13, 2020, 11:27:14 am »
I know New Zealand has won plaudits in how they have handled the crises but I think it's way too early for things like this to be happening.

Why they've no covid 19 cases for over 17 days and have shut their borders.

They're not taking about opening borders and going on holidays.

Oh and unlike the UK they have a decent leader. A leader of the country that knows what she is doing unlike the utter unless Boris.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #13312 on: June 13, 2020, 11:39:16 am »
Why they've no covid 19 cases for over 17 days and have shut their borders.

They're not taking about opening borders and going on holidays.

Oh and unlike the UK they have a decent leader. A leader of the country that knows what she is doing unlike the utter unless Boris.

One of the lessons that anyone needs to learn with regards to this virus is the first sight of complacency and it can come back. I don't think any country should be resting on its laurels right now, seventeen isn't enough justification to be going back to normal.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13313 on: June 13, 2020, 11:46:59 am »
One of the lessons that anyone needs to learn with regards to this virus is the first sight of complacency and it can come back. I don't think any country should be resting on its laurels right now, seventeen isn't enough justification to be going back to normal.

Think it is when you've shut your boarders myself.

Don't know how the Uk are ever going to get to zero cases when we are talking about air bridges etc.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13314 on: June 13, 2020, 12:21:29 pm »
The UK had more positive cases yesterday than New Zealand have had in total.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #13315 on: June 13, 2020, 01:11:17 pm »
There’s (socially distancing) fans at AFL games too.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #13316 on: June 13, 2020, 02:34:36 pm »
The Isle of Man is stopping social distancing too. No cases for 28 days I think. Borders still closed though.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13317 on: June 13, 2020, 02:37:33 pm »
The Isle of Man is stopping social distancing too. No cases for 28 days I think. Borders still closed though.

Keeping the boarders shut is key. I can't understand why MP's and Journo's want to keep ours open.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13318 on: June 13, 2020, 05:28:34 pm »
Keeping the boarders shut is key. I can't understand why MP's and Journo's want to keep ours open.

Because there’s an absolute shitload of money in the aviation industry.

Aviation and travel companies are already threatening judicial review for quarantine measures, if we shut our borders entirely it would be even worse.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13319 on: June 13, 2020, 06:02:37 pm »

Everything is pretty much going 'back to normal' over here on Monday. Pubs back open this week, no social distancing, nurseries back open etc. etc.
We've had no case for 24 days and I think everyone has done a fantastic job in our little Island community :)
Getting cabin fever when I'm usually away every other week watching the red men though. Borders are still closed but there is a timetable they hope to release this week of a proposed time when they may be open again.