Author Topic: Email problems going from Vista to Win 10  (Read 1028 times)

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Email problems going from Vista to Win 10
« on: March 7, 2020, 04:06:20 pm »
I have eventually given up on my old trusty Vista PC and set up my Win 10 Pro PC.

I think I've got most things switched over ok but I am having trouble with the Widows Email on the new machine.

On Vista it uses Windows Mail V6 which is a totally different program to the Win10 pc.

I want to move the old emails in their various folders to the new pc but cant find a way to do it.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of problem or be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
Re: Email problems going from Vista to Win 10
« Reply #1 on: March 7, 2020, 06:07:56 pm »
I maybe wrong here..
but if i remember in vista mail, it downloaded from the sever to your PC then deletes it from the server (email account)
There is no import in the default Windows 10 mail app.. The mail app reads mail from the mail server and presents it in the app.
your best option is to google 'Vista Forums' and look there.. Search there.. 'Email problems going from Vista to Win 10'
good luck  :wave
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 7, 2020, 06:17:48 pm »
It depends on how your email was setup on the old computer. Who is your email provider? Were you using POP3 or IMAP?

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 7, 2020, 10:58:46 pm »
Thanks for the help guys.  :thumbup

Its a Virgin Media account and on my pc its set up as a pop3 account.

I can of course receive all the new emails coming through but am having to keep the Vista pc alive so I can access 10 years worth of email history.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 8, 2020, 02:21:12 am »
Use thunderbird.  https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/

https://www.pcvare.com/windows-vista-mail-to-thunderbird.html

Thanks for that will give it a try, I have tried Thunderbird before but it wont install on Vista any more.

Even tried OE Classic (which replicates Outlook Express lol) and it is trying to work but crashes while importing the email.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 8, 2020, 10:17:45 am »

Thanks for that will give it a try, I have tried Thunderbird before but it wont install on Vista any more.

Even tried OE Classic (which replicates Outlook Express lol) and it is trying to work but crashes while importing the email.

Try this:

1. Install Thunderbird on new computer.
2. Copy folder that contains the EML files from old computer to new one (see link from SP).
3. Import into Thunderbird on new computer.

Also, you should stop using POP3 on your new computer so you don't have this problem again the future! Virgin email works with IMAP as well which keeps all your emails in the server after downloading.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/email-settings-for-all-virgin-media-domains
« Last Edit: March 8, 2020, 10:20:50 am by Just Elmo? »

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 8, 2020, 03:03:11 pm »
Cheers buddy, will have a play around with that, didn't think about putting Thunderbird on the new pc when it wouldn't work on the old vista pc.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 8, 2020, 04:16:31 pm »
Vista in 2020  :o

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 8, 2020, 04:27:01 pm »
Vista in 2020  :o

:odd I know, I know!

Have had the Win10 Pro machine from 2016 - set it up and didn't like the look of it but now it wont load many web sites. Its basic home stuff and no gaming.   :thumbsup