Author Topic: The England Cricket Thread - 2024  (Read 647527 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The England Cricket Thread - 2024
« Reply #22680 on: February 3, 2024, 11:21:11 am »
Jimmy seeing it like a football (that should do it).

Bastard.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22681 on: February 4, 2024, 10:04:50 am »
Great take by Foakes to finish the innings. 4fer for Hartley and now 399 to win - its on!
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22682 on: February 4, 2024, 10:07:39 am »
Great take by Foakes to finish the innings. 4fer for Hartley and now 399 to win - its on!

Fairly decent bowling effort today. Looked like one biggish partnership in the middle that’s probably taken it away from us, and an annoying one with Ashwin and Bumrah but a good effort overall. If/when we lose it’ll be the 1st innings deficit that did the damage.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #22683 on: February 4, 2024, 10:08:43 am »
my expert prediction based on hardly seeing any of this game is that england won't reach 250.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22684 on: February 4, 2024, 10:16:18 am »
Bumrah was unplayable in the first innings. If he bowls like that again then it will be a big problem for England. On the positive side, the pitch doesn't look horrific.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #22685 on: February 4, 2024, 10:21:07 am »
my expert prediction based on hardly seeing any of this game is that england won't reach 250.

Well I’m no expert, but I agree. Would be delighted to be proved wrong of course.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22686 on: February 4, 2024, 10:26:21 am »
Crawley doesn't look like he's got this.
 :-\

Is it called wafting?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22687 on: February 4, 2024, 10:28:11 am »

Yeah, that must be the likeliest outcome. We probably only get within 100 of Stokes has a beserker in him.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22688 on: February 4, 2024, 10:34:30 am »
Yeah, that must be the likeliest outcome. We probably only get within 100 of Stokes has a beserker in him.

Key for me would be Duckett / Pope / Stokes. Previously you'd hope for a couple of big un's from Root / Bairstow but not at the moment given their current form.

Anyway 379 needed.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #22689 on: February 4, 2024, 10:48:32 am »
At least this is familiar territory for the Bazballers.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22690 on: February 4, 2024, 11:10:02 am »
Night Watchman, I'm surprised.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22691 on: February 4, 2024, 11:11:19 am »
...and disappointed.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #22692 on: February 4, 2024, 11:16:36 am »
It'll be one of those 'wow, England have a real chance if they bat well first session ' followed by waking up at 7.00 and they're 196/8 reality checks.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22693 on: February 4, 2024, 11:47:44 am »
It'll be one of those 'wow, England have a real chance if they bat well first session ' followed by waking up at 7.00 and they're 196/8 reality checks.

Probably. But I’d have taken that close of play score at the start of the 4th innings I think. No major damage done and made a nice little inroad into the total.

New Zealand against South Africa invitational XI started over night and probably going as expected. NZ 258/2 with hundreds for Williamson and Ravindra. I think I’ve heard of one of the South African teams, and even that is a maybe given their love of sharing surnames. 258 in a full day though! Cute.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #22694 on: February 4, 2024, 01:10:24 pm »
Anderson went to 695 wickets in this test match, the 700th very likely to come on this tour.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22695 on: February 4, 2024, 01:34:04 pm »
Anderson went to 695 wickets in this test match, the 700th very likely to come on this tour.

If it does, I hope he gets the suitable level of applause and not just stunned silence. Although get the impression Jimmy is a fairly popular figure in India who hopefully he would get the credit he deserves.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #22696 on: February 4, 2024, 01:36:54 pm »
More likely to give him a standing ovation for a no ball.
AHA!

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22697 on: February 5, 2024, 05:04:19 am »
Numpties on Talk Sport we’re talking how India we’re panicking and it was too easy for England with the fields etc, and as they did Pope went. Scoring ok but 2 wickets in the first hour. England 125/3. Still a long way from home.

Offline Joseph-Immanuel Queen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22698 on: February 5, 2024, 05:21:48 am »
That was a mad innings from Root.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22699 on: February 5, 2024, 06:37:36 am »

Not a bad guess

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22700 on: February 5, 2024, 08:08:36 am »
We'd have had a big chance of winning this if Stokes didn't run himself out.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Vegeta

• Is definitely a vegetable. All posts stink like sprouts.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #22701 on: February 5, 2024, 08:14:09 am »
I truly believe England are going to do this
150 IQ never wrong.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #22702 on: February 5, 2024, 08:14:43 am »
well it's more than 250 anyway

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22703 on: February 5, 2024, 08:17:11 am »
I truly believe England are going to do this
Foakes gone. Still?
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22704 on: February 5, 2024, 08:46:54 am »
Always too much really. Needed Stokes to go big. Sounded like a poor dismissal that one. A fairly valiant effort but a bit annoying that so many made good starts but no one could really go big.

1-1 though. Effectively turned it into a 3 match series. Given India a bit to think about. Like having someone like Hartley in the lower order, a bit like the days of having Swann and Broad chipping in frequently.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #22705 on: February 5, 2024, 09:33:08 am »
Overall nothing to be overly negative about there though. The difference was pretty much one brilliant innings by Jaiswal with the bat. Other than that it was a fairly even match up of players getting starts and struggling to push on.

Bumrah getting that middle order out in the first innings with some excellent bowling, but we did similar with their lower half in the second innings.

Turning into a competitive series I think, and great to see Crawley get some good scores on the board.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #22706 on: February 5, 2024, 10:59:11 am »
Overall nothing to be overly negative about there though. The difference was pretty much one brilliant innings by Jaiswal with the bat. Other than that it was a fairly even match up of players getting starts and struggling to push on.

Bumrah getting that middle order out in the first innings with some excellent bowling, but we did similar with their lower half in the second innings.

Turning into a competitive series I think, and great to see Crawley get some good scores on the board.

Agree. This was in a similar vein from the Guardian coverage:

“Good to see the carping already starting,” writes Will Vignoles. “England have a method that has got the best of out of a relatively limited group of players, and mostly it’s working. It took two all-time performances for India to win this match – Jaiswal with the bat, Bumrah with the ball in the first innings, and sometimes that is the difference. Why must every defeat become a referendum on how England play? I’d much rather wake up to this than the shambles that came before, or the hopeless grinding of the 2016 tour.”
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22707 on: February 5, 2024, 11:05:44 am »
I don’t remember the 2016 tour? What happened? Did we crawl at 2-3 an over when we batted?

I remember the last one when we won the fist test thanks to Root but then really struggled to make any runs.

We’ve only had one big innings this time but at least consistently getting over 250 gets us into games. And even having a decent stab at a big chase today will maybe make India overthink things a bit. I’m enjoying the approach, my only grumble is that when everyone gets 20-30 you’d hope at least a couple could go on and get a fair bit more. That’s where we fell short.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #22708 on: February 5, 2024, 11:15:21 am »
I don’t remember the 2016 tour? What happened? Did we crawl at 2-3 an over when we batted?

I remember the last one when we won the fist test thanks to Root but then really struggled to make any runs.

We’ve only had one big innings this time but at least consistently getting over 250 gets us into games. And even having a decent stab at a big chase today will maybe make India overthink things a bit. I’m enjoying the approach, my only grumble is that when everyone gets 20-30 you’d hope at least a couple could go on and get a fair bit more. That’s where we fell short.

From memory, India won the first two tests easily, and the third was drawn - England finally finding some form with a big 1st innings score, but unable to bowl India out in their second innings. But yes, it wasn't ’Bazball’.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #22709 on: February 5, 2024, 11:36:00 am »
Root hasn't got going at all - averaging 13 (worst of all the top order by some way) with a top score of 29
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22710 on: February 5, 2024, 11:47:42 am »
Root hasn't got going at all - averaging 13 (worst of all the top order by some way) with a top score of 29

Seemed a strange innings today. I know he had a finger injury Ron bowling and maybe he just thought to go in the attack but was slightly out of character (although he has played a few more bizarre innings in recent months than he used to).

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22711 on: February 9, 2024, 10:06:45 am »

For me, he's the one where Bazball has given some slightly muddled thinking. He should look to approach it like the all conquering ODI team, keep the scoreboard ticking over whilst letting the others provide the fireworks.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22712 on: February 9, 2024, 11:59:14 am »
For me, he's the one where Bazball has given some slightly muddled thinking. He should look to approach it like the all conquering ODI team, keep the scoreboard ticking over whilst letting the others provide the fireworks.

Agree with that. He’s far too good to need to adapt his game and he always scored at a very decent rate anyway. He’d be one where before you knew it had about 30 off 40 balls with no real risk. I’m sure he’s not being told to play differently but does sometimes feel like he’s overthinking it. I’m sure he’d say that’s bollocks. Could your be a slight dip in form which he’s allowed. :D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22713 on: February 15, 2024, 12:14:34 am »
Third Test starts at 4am. Wood in for Bashir the only change for England.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22714 on: February 15, 2024, 06:47:28 am »
Tidy start from England and especially Mark Wood who has been on the expensive side but had taken 2 vital wickets. Need to get Rohit.

97/3 approaching lunch
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22715 on: February 15, 2024, 06:53:01 am »
They were 39/3 when I got up, barely a sniff of a wicket since, Root had a decent chance to catch Rohit then he was given out lbw but clearly played the ball

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #22716 on: February 15, 2024, 08:11:19 am »
I stick it on just in time to see jadeja getting a 50.

do I not like that.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22717 on: February 15, 2024, 08:23:30 am »
Good partnership this. These pair will take some getting out...
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22718 on: February 15, 2024, 10:08:13 am »
Welcome breakthrough. Well done Woody.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #22719 on: February 15, 2024, 11:22:28 am »
I stick it on just in time to see jadeja getting a 50.

do I not like that.

😂 (Was thinking of you - should’ve had a lie-in)