Author Topic: Man City - cheating bastards rumbled  (Read 2792956 times)

Online wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
Re: Man City - the Lisbon Lyons
« Reply #9880 on: August 27, 2020, 01:16:29 am »
If Man City have to adapt their setup in order to accommodate Messi, their problems from last season would become even more visible. Not to mention the huge clash of egos once Aguero is benched.

Or how de Bruyne would feel about no longer being the focal point of their attack. Messi might be hugely disruptive.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9881 on: August 27, 2020, 01:28:07 am »
Or how de Bruyne would feel about no longer being the focal point of their attack. Messi might be hugely disruptive.

Exactly. The problem with Messi these days is that he is still effective, but only when played at the false 9 spot, and with all the attacks going through him. This is why players like Coutinho or Griezmann have struggled playing next to him.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #9882 on: August 27, 2020, 01:57:14 am »
According to Jamie Jackson in the Manchestoh Guardian, City signing Messi "on the domestic front the 18-point chasm to Liverpool last season would instantly be closed"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/26/lionel-messi-manchester-city-pep-guardiola-premier-league-barcelona

Never change Jamie.
We are Liverpool!

Offline SpionBob

• I have a signed Kenny Dalglish shirt on my wall-is that a bit gay?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • WITH JURGEN kLOPP WE WON IT 6 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9883 on: August 27, 2020, 02:19:56 am »
According to Jamie Jackson in the Manchestoh Guardian, City signing Messi "on the domestic front the 18-point chasm to Liverpool last season would instantly be closed"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/26/lionel-messi-manchester-city-pep-guardiola-premier-league-barcelona

Never change Jamie.
I can only answer that article in Emoji
 :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :rash :rash :shite:
Public enemy number one: On the RAWK watch list for offering alternative views, supporting Rafa and abusing ill informed WUMS with dubious agendas. Where's the crime in that? Victim of self-important mod with itchy finger.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9884 on: August 27, 2020, 04:03:44 am »
Messi to City would be game-breaking, hope it won't happen.
Believer

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9885 on: August 27, 2020, 04:09:52 am »
I couldn't really give a shit what anyone else is doing though. We've not just built to close the gap, we've jumped massively ahead.

Yeah exactly. Closing the gap on City is fine. That's not something that affects us lol
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9886 on: August 27, 2020, 04:13:10 am »

Never change Jamie.

With David Silva gone, Fernandinho 35, Sergio Agüero 33 in June

Getting younger by adding Leo Messi, who's...34 a couple of weeks after Aguero turns 33? What the fuck is he talking about?

The Athletic really gutted these websites didn't it?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9887 on: August 27, 2020, 04:21:45 am »
Financial fair play - where a club that basically started existing in 2008 is the only club in the world that can afford Messi.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #9888 on: August 27, 2020, 04:31:20 am »
If Messi going there stops them getting Aouar so we can go in and nab him then I'm all for Messi to City  ;D

He's headed to Juventus mate...

Unfortunately.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9889 on: August 27, 2020, 06:08:37 am »

Never change Jamie.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the absolute worst writer there's ever been for a respectable publication. I don't know who's cousin or nephew he is, but it's incredible he's still there.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #9890 on: August 27, 2020, 06:33:28 am »
I mean it's taken us years to get to their level and beat them and they look to swing it back in their favour with just one signing.

We have given them some right hammerings before and after the arrival of Guardiola. They have never really hammered us except for that shit show when Mané was sent off, and they only had 10 of our lads to worry about. A lot of that was down to having no fear of them, and also a better team spirit.
Think back to us schooling them at their place with Bobby and little Phil destroying them.
Where we have not been able to compete is in terms of squad quality. As has been pointed out, if Messi arrives and plays, you then have 4 top quality players fighting for the other shirt.
They play great football but with such a large squad and so many good players accepting a place on the bench because they are picking up more in wages, then team spirit and mentality will be somewhat diluted. Team spirit is what takes a very good side and makes it great. City had some of that with Kompany, Silva, Aguero and Fernandinho. Now they rely on Walker, Sterling and Bernardo Manning for their leadership.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #9891 on: August 27, 2020, 06:33:35 am »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the absolute worst writer there's ever been for a respectable publication. I don't know who's cousin or nephew he is, but it's incredible he's still there.
That accolade has to go to Duncan Castles, surely?

Online royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9892 on: August 27, 2020, 06:36:04 am »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #9893 on: August 27, 2020, 06:36:46 am »
He did it in a shite La Liga.

How did he get on dragging them to the CL final twice in the last 3 years? Ah wait.

Three time mate. Roma cracked them, we broke them, and then Bayern swept the shards into the bin of history.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9894 on: August 27, 2020, 06:44:12 am »
Messi is the problem at Barcelona. He won't be the solution at Man City. Hopefully, Man City will fall into this trap after their latest CL humiliation.
This isn't true, Barca has systemic problems but Messi isn't one. When you score 80+goals and 40+ assists in last two seasons, then one person can't be the problem in any system. If there is such a system which can't accommodate so many goals then that system is the problem.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #9895 on: August 27, 2020, 06:47:04 am »
Messi to City would be game-breaking, hope it won't happen.

Seriously?

Go and watch the two legs of last years tie..
He scores a tap in, and fouls Fab to get that free kick, but we had so many chances that first leg score line was ridiculous. The mentality of that team was such that we lost Mo and Bobby before the game, Mo and Bobby ffs, and we went out and smashed them. Remember Andy Robbo was subbed at half time when it was 1-0  and a 34 yr old Milner came on. Messi had a few shots but they were crying at half time. They were shitting bricks - a team with Suarez Alba Pique Coutihno et al plus the undoubted genius of Messi, were shitting bricks and they were 1-3 up  at 3/4 time.
Put Messi in that City team and  they will be the flat track bullies they have been for 4years. But he isn’t going to solve their defensive issues any more than Nathan Ake is.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9896 on: August 27, 2020, 07:26:54 am »
Apparently being offered a three year contract, then after that's over, playing for NY City then becoming a Ambassador to the City Group.

Guess we know how they'll get him now, pay him a wage now that doesn't break the wage structure at City and the salary cap in MLS, then pay him £50 million a year for five years as an Ambassador.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline markthescouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9897 on: August 27, 2020, 07:42:49 am »
I think he wouldn’t help them as much as he’d help us. Despite actually winning these games last season, it always felt like we’ve had a problem of breaking down teams that just sit in and defend and someone like Messi would really help unpicking the lock in those sorts of games where you’re in the 70-80% possession range.

That wasn't their issue last season though. They dropped points against the weaker teams because of their defence, losing 3-2 to Norwhich or drawing 2-2 with palace etc. Think there was only one game against the bottom sides where they lost points and didn’t score, 1-0 against Southampton.

As for the bigger games, for me, I’d question how much their is to be gained in what he can do around the goal compared to what you’d lose in terms of work rate and control if he was playing in midfield. If he’s playing up top, obviously brilliant when you’ve got the ball, see Barca away last year, but when you’re having to defend and looking for a quick release, he isn’t beating anyone in the air or over the top in a race anymore, so can become quite isolated, see Barca at home last year.

I think he probably would get them more points overall, but no where near as many as if they used that money to sort their defence out. Having said that, they’re a PR stunt of a club and what’s going to get more attention than signing Messi?

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9898 on: August 27, 2020, 07:54:41 am »

Never change Jamie.

May as well null and void next season after reading that. The bit about Messi beating four players and scoring is priceless. Even city can't afford a time machine.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9899 on: August 27, 2020, 08:38:14 am »
How can Man City afford Messi? Have Etihad asked to up negotiate their sponsorship deal again? Despite not being able to afford it in the first place. Maybe City’s ruler’s brother will step in again to pay the up negotiated deal for Etihad.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9900 on: August 27, 2020, 08:53:14 am »

What a fascinating back page that is, especially the trolling within the crossword. I'm stuck on 8 and 17 down.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline muszka

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9901 on: August 27, 2020, 08:58:52 am »
How can Man City afford Messi? Have Etihad asked to up negotiate their sponsorship deal again? Despite not being able to afford it in the first place. Maybe City’s ruler’s brother will step in again to pay the up negotiated deal for Etihad.

Somebody mentions above what they want to do. Pay him 300k per week so it seems legit and then make him an ambasador like Neymar is for Qatar and give him 300m.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9902 on: August 27, 2020, 09:11:56 am »
Somebody mentions above what they want to do. Pay him 300k per week so it seems legit and then make him an ambasador like Neymar is for Qatar and give him 300m.
Makes sense, I bet Abu Dhabi currently have a lot of ‘ambassadors’ residing in Manchester.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #9903 on: August 27, 2020, 09:13:22 am »
Time to rename this the ‘pretend the best player in football wouldn’t help our direct rivals’ thread

Hope he goes anywhere but City or any EPL club obv

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #9904 on: August 27, 2020, 09:19:50 am »
What a fascinating back page that is, especially the trolling within the crossword. I'm stuck on 8 and 17 down.

Is 13 across to do with Daisy MacGuire and The Albanians?
We are Liverpool!

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #9905 on: August 27, 2020, 09:27:23 am »
Seriously?

Go and watch the two legs of last years tie..
He scores a tap in, and fouls Fab to get that free kick, but we had so many chances that first leg score line was ridiculous. The mentality of that team was such that we lost Mo and Bobby before the game, Mo and Bobby ffs, and we went out and smashed them. Remember Andy Robbo was subbed at half time when it was 1-0  and a 34 yr old Milner came on. Messi had a few shots but they were crying at half time. They were shitting bricks - a team with Suarez Alba Pique Coutihno et al plus the undoubted genius of Messi, were shitting bricks and they were 1-3 up  at 3/4 time.
Put Messi in that City team and  they will be the flat track bullies they have been for 4years. But he isn’t going to solve their defensive issues any more than Nathan Ake is.

You make some fair points but even in the 4-0 at Anfield, Messi was by far and away their best player. I don't have the stats at hand of course but he went close a couple of times and created a few chances. He's an all-time great and even late into his 30s if he's still playing he'll pick a pass better than most, and even latterly he's become extremely good at direct free-kicks and the like. He'll always contribute if he's got legs and runners around him and he's lethal from inside the box.

City will have to adapt to how they play of course but for someone like Messi you do it. But the point you make still stands, he's not going to solve their defensive issues and against a team like ourselves, or even say a Southmapton who press very well or Leeds, you've got less legs in the middle as a gamble for having Messi score or assist for you. It wont really matter if teams sit extra deep against them because they'll find a way through.

I don't want Messi to go to City for many reasons and I think people are being a touch naive to think he wont give them a better chance at winning things. If we signed him we'd all be wanking ourselves silly and we'd be telling people how we'll win the league by 30 points next season.

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #9906 on: August 27, 2020, 09:34:02 am »
Daisy MacGuire and The Albanians?

Saw them at Glastonbury last year, they were shit.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #9907 on: August 27, 2020, 09:37:27 am »
You make some fair points but even in the 4-0 at Anfield, Messi was by far and away their best player. I don't have the stats at hand of course but he went close a couple of times and created a few chances. He's an all-time great and even late into his 30s if he's still playing he'll pick a pass better than most, and even latterly he's become extremely good at direct free-kicks and the like. He'll always contribute if he's got legs and runners around him and he's lethal from inside the box.

City will have to adapt to how they play of course but for someone like Messi you do it. But the point you make still stands, he's not going to solve their defensive issues and against a team like ourselves, or even say a Southmapton who press very well or Leeds, you've got less legs in the middle as a gamble for having Messi score or assist for you. It wont really matter if teams sit extra deep against them because they'll find a way through.

I don't want Messi to go to City for many reasons and I think people are being a touch naive to think he wont give them a better chance at winning things. If we signed him we'd all be wanking ourselves silly and we'd be telling people how we'll win the league by 30 points next season.

That’s a well reasoned point, but City still have major issues to address in defence. Goal scoring isn’t a problem for them.
We are Liverpool!

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #9908 on: August 27, 2020, 09:39:20 am »
It’s what the move would do for City as a club is what scares me. The commercial value would be huge for any club Messi plays for..

Really hoping this doesn’t happen and he moves to PSG

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9910 on: August 27, 2020, 11:55:49 am »
Is Messi is going to stop Ederson from going walk about then passing the ball straight to the opposition and presenting them with an open goal every other week?  No.

Doesn't particularly matter then, does it!

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #9911 on: August 27, 2020, 12:37:45 pm »
Is Messi is going to stop Ederson from going walk about then passing the ball straight to the opposition and presenting them with an open goal every other week?  No.

Doesn't particularly matter then, does it!

that’s quite the vague connection  ;D

He’s a forward, of course he isn’t.

Loving all the classic RAWK down playing of Messi (maybe) signing for Abu Dhabi.

The biggest shame of it all though is that he has no qualms about putting a massive shit stain on his career by going there. But then he’s always been unlikable, so this will add to that at least. Doesn’t change the fact he’s one of the greatest players ever and is still tearing up La Liga. He’ll do the same in the PL for a good couple years too.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9912 on: August 27, 2020, 12:39:29 pm »

Loving all the classic RAWK down playing of Messi (maybe) signing for Abu Dhabi.

The biggest shame of it all though is that he has no qualms about putting a massive shit stain on his career by going there. But then he’s always been unlikable, so this will add to that at least. Doesn’t change the fact he’s one of the greatest players ever and is still tearing up La Liga and Europe. He’ll do the same in the PL for a good couple years too.

What about Messi is unlikeable? Tax dodging aside I’ve always thought he seemed like a great player with lots of enthusiasm and very few enemies. Fell out with the board over the last couple of seasons but can’t really blame him on that front.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #9913 on: August 27, 2020, 12:44:46 pm »
What about Messi is unlikeable? Tax dodging aside I’ve always thought he seemed like a great player with lots of enthusiasm and very few enemies. Fell out with the board over the last couple of seasons but can’t really blame him on that front.

Just never liked him! Just find him a bit of a wet fish if that even makes any sense  ;D Characterless.  Also don’t like his captaincy, in that he seems a genuinely shit one. The way he stomped off down the tunnel without even a handshake at Anfield last season typified it, but was also amusing! The half time scenes in the dressing room, both here and vs Bayern, just sat there head down. Sometimes a team just needs a Jordan Henderson if you know what I mean, someone who’ll never let negatives come into it, even during a really shit moment.

But like I say, nothing takes away from the immense talent which is why I am amused by the down-playing. He’s still an incredible player.  The other stuff is just my view of him, I’ve just never liked him.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9914 on: August 27, 2020, 12:45:40 pm »

The biggest shame of it all though is that he has no qualms about putting a massive shit stain on his career by going there. But then he’s always been unlikable, so this will add to that at least. Doesn’t change the fact he’s one of the greatest players ever and is still tearing up La Liga. He’ll do the same in the PL for a good couple years too.

Which is fine. He will be a great player for them. But some people (i know your not one of these people) seem eager to wave the white flag to him despite having a team which is 18 points better than City (and only 18 points cause we spent 7 games on the beach), and despite handily beating a Messi team as well in recent history.

The idea seems to be that a City with Messi is essentially going to win every game. They'll win a lot of games, they already do, but City and Messi, even together, is not an unbeatable team. They both can be stopped, and both can be stopped by relatively mediocre opposition at times.

That is of course if he goes there and this isn't a power play, or he doesn't get tangled up in a messy court case

Online royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9915 on: August 27, 2020, 01:01:40 pm »
It's safe to say he'd be an upgrade on Dabbid Silba.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9916 on: August 27, 2020, 01:12:22 pm »
Just never liked him! Just find him a bit of a wet fish if that even makes any sense  ;D Characterless.  Also don’t like his captaincy, in that he seems a genuinely shit one. The way he stomped off down the tunnel without even a handshake at Anfield last season typified it, but was also amusing! The half time scenes in the dressing room, both here and vs Bayern, just sat there head down. Sometimes a team just needs a Jordan Henderson if you know what I mean, someone who’ll never let negatives come into it, even during a really shit moment.

But like I say, nothing takes away from the immense talent which is why I am amused by the down-playing. He’s still an incredible player.  The other stuff is just my view of him, I’ve just never liked him.

Ah that’s more than fair enough! I thought there was something I’d never known about him, I get you

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #9917 on: August 27, 2020, 01:19:46 pm »

"I'll tell the Sheikh...."

Just like that. 'I'll tell the Sheikh'. their daddy. the Sheikh. Steroid daddy Sheikh club. That is who they are. We're the only club in England that can defeat this evil now. Messi and the Sheikh. Pimps of football.

The romance and purity of football lays with us now. We have to defeat this and win the title next season. The soul of English football depends on us. Only we can prove that Sheikhs cannot buy glory like pimps. F*ck Messi and f*ck Sheikh Oligarch football. Its up to us. The glory and romance depends on us.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9918 on: August 27, 2020, 01:22:36 pm »

"I'll tell the Sheikh...."

Just like that. 'I'll tell the Sheikh'. their daddy. the Sheikh. Steroid daddy Sheikh club. That is who they are. We're the only club in England that can defeat this evil now. Messi and the Sheikh. Pimps of football.

The romance and purity of football lays with us now. We have to defeat this and win the title next season. The soul of English football depends on us. Only we can prove that Sheikhs cannot buy glory like pimps. F*ck Messi and f*ck Sheikh Oligarch football. Its up to us. The glory and romance depends on us.

Horrible c*nts!!

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9919 on: August 27, 2020, 01:26:39 pm »
It’s what the move would do for City as a club is what scares me. The commercial value would be huge for any club Messi plays for..

Really hoping this doesn’t happen and he moves to PSG

The commercial interest generated by him still wouldn't raise the interest in city up to the level of their current sponsorships anyway, all his presence would do is make the size of them be slightly less fraudulent.