Author Topic: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE  (Read 3508082 times)

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
Re: COVID-19 - The General Stuff Thread. NO CONSPIRACY SHITE!
« Reply #10400 on: March 20, 2020, 10:50:37 pm »
If we reach Italy levels, which is likely, then the Tories will pay.

Not really the time to drag politics into it.  There's too many fuck wits in this country who don't do what has been told.  It doesn't matter what government would have been in at this point, we would still be in the same situation.  Until all the fuck wits out there stop panic buying, stop going to meet up with your mates, stop your kids from roaming the streets in groups etc then the spread isn't going to slow down and the infections will increase putting more and more strain on the NHS.

Big shout out to all those NHS staff, shop workers, delivery drivers, front line workers etc etc who are doing a brilliant job - Thank you.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10401 on: March 20, 2020, 10:53:13 pm »
There's only a max 17% fatality rate for 80+ year olds that contracted the virus.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #10402 on: March 20, 2020, 10:54:58 pm »
Can we have a good news thread? think we need that. i know we already have one which isn't the same. looking for positive numbers going forward plus any news about vaccine?
There's a facts and info thread and a thread to post acts of kindness and positivity in. Both are also stickied in this part of the forum.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10403 on: March 20, 2020, 10:55:33 pm »
Apocalypse here, or life up north! difficult times we live in  :)
At least the footie is better :wave :P

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10404 on: March 20, 2020, 10:56:43 pm »
At least the footie is better :wave :P

My team is unbeaten in 2020 mate, Cant see us losing for months either.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10405 on: March 20, 2020, 10:57:35 pm »
Fear is good, if it saves lives. Everyone walking around thinking why not go down the pub, I'm in the 0.2% category, had loads of viruses, never stopped me before.

So many people would fall into anxiety and depression if they believed there was a very good chance they are going to die. People already are with the advice which is coming out.

On top of that you get those who are panicking now, who will start to get desperate and potentially violent, because they think they could die. There would be riots across the shops and supermarkets.

For better or worse, the truth of the threat needs to be said in real terms. Sadly there are dicks who cant think of the vulnerable, but that's better than everyone thinking just for themselves because they think they will die.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #10406 on: March 20, 2020, 10:58:33 pm »
Without being too flippant, this feels like the beginning of the long night in Game of Thrones. The white walkers are just about to arrive.

Driving white vans
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10407 on: March 20, 2020, 10:59:19 pm »
At what age does this become a risk? I know it's a risk anyway but like what age would you have to be for it to be relevant to Covid-19? You've spooked me now.
I cannot tell you that. But I've not read anything which suggests that the risk only applies to smokers over a certain age. I only know that there seems to be a general consensus amongst the medical community (and some evidence from COVID cases too) that smoking is likely to be a significant additional risk with a disease like COVID. You'll have to do your own research and make your decision.

Obviously, smoking is just one risk factor. Those with a variety of preexisting conditions are more at risk. As are older people. But the more risk factors, the greater your total risk. You probably already attempt to reduce your risks of contracting the disease: social distancing, washing your hands, etc. There are not a lot of things we can do reduce our risk once we have contracted COVID. But having already quit smoking is one of them and maybe the most significant one for some.

Stay safe.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 11:03:49 pm by Jiminy Cricket »
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #10408 on: March 20, 2020, 11:00:40 pm »

During the coronavirus how can you possibly forget the Olympiacos game.  ;)
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #10409 on: March 20, 2020, 11:03:22 pm »
Can we have a good news thread? think we need that. i know we already have one which isn't the same. looking for positive numbers going forward plus any news about vaccine?

Here's some good news.

If this research is confirmed (Nature should be publishing it soon which would mean it is as far as other experts can tell) then it opens up the possibility that the virus can be prevented from spreading inside someone's body.

Researchers from Utrecht University, together with fellow researchers from Erasmus MC and biotech company Harbor BioMed, have developed a human antibody that can inhibit the new coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2).

Research leader and last author Berend-Jan Bosch (Utrecht University) does not want to raise false expectations. It is a promising first step, but it is far too early to speculate about the potential efficacy in humans. The research is being reviewed by a leading scientific journal. Further comments can be provided once the item has been accepted.

Here's a leading epidemiologist, who spotted coronavirus spreading from a flu study he was conducting, talking about a way forward even without needing to wait a year and more.

Together, I believe these (and other case-based) strategies can bring down the epidemic. This is the Apollo program of our times. Let's get to it.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1240444821593944064.html

One of the things which would allow that to happen is a blood test to check who already has had the virus and they're already being trialled in the real world...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dSF7lIKEOz0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dSF7lIKEOz0</a>

"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #10410 on: March 20, 2020, 11:03:56 pm »
I cannot tell you that. But I've not read anything which suggests that the risk only applies to smokers over a certain age. I only know that there seems to be a general consensus amongst the medical community (and some evidence from COVID cases too) that smoking is likely to be a significant additional risk with a disease like COVID. You'll have to do your own research and make your decision.

Obviously, smoking is just one risk factor. Those with a variety of preexisting conditions are more at risk. As are older people. But the more risk factors, the greater your total risk. You probably already attempt to reduce your risks of contracting the disease: social distancing, washing your hands, etc. But there are not a lot of things we can do reduce our risk once we have contracted COVID. But having already quit smoking is one of them and maybe the most significant one for some.

Stay safe.

Will do thank you for that.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10411 on: March 20, 2020, 11:05:46 pm »
During the coronavirus how can you possibly forget the Olympiacos game.  ;)

This day just keeps getting worse.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #10412 on: March 20, 2020, 11:11:13 pm »
Bars around the country doing drink the bar dry and c*nts flocking to it.
he should have said will close at 6pm instead of telling them to close as soon as they can. They would always stay open until midnight given that option and people will go for a last blow out.

Good the pubs have been closed, madness that they are still open for another hour
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #10413 on: March 20, 2020, 11:11:21 pm »
Here's some good news.

If this research is confirmed (Nature should be publishing it soon which would mean it is as far as other experts can tell) then it opens up the possibility that the virus can be prevented from spreading inside someone's body.

Here's a leading epidemiologist, who spotted coronavirus spreading from a flu study he was conducting, talking about a way forward even without needing to wait a year and more.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1240444821593944064.html

One of the things which would allow that to happen is a blood test to check who already has had the virus and they're already being trialled in the real world...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dSF7lIKEOz0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dSF7lIKEOz0</a>

Thanks Zeb - a fund of useful stuff as always.

My daughter and my two granddaughters, along with my partner, who lives in Wolverhampton, have all self isolated. They all exhibit the classic symptoms and yet, are coping.

I may well be next, given I was with my partner last weekend and there is an evident gestation period. I’m 72, but in generally good health. What will be will be. I’m as certain as anyone can be, from all the evidence, that the bulk of those infected are either asymptomatic, or have an immune system sufficiently strong to make a recovery.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10414 on: March 20, 2020, 11:13:51 pm »
My only criticism of the Tories is that they should have shut London down sooner, I'm still more pissed off with the people of the country, than with the party they elected. Some have behaved like animals over the last week and continue to do so tonight (packed in pubs getting discounted beer)
Also, I accept that Sunak did some amazing things for a lot of people today, sadly I'm not one of them.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10415 on: March 20, 2020, 11:15:55 pm »
Unbeaten is not the same as winning - we're World Fuckin Champions and still European Champions, laaaaaaa :wave

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10416 on: March 20, 2020, 11:16:21 pm »
My only criticism of the Tories is that they should have shut London down sooner, I'm still more pissed off with the people of the country, than with the party they elected. Some have behaved like animals over the last week and continue to do so tonight (packed in pubs getting discounted beer)
Also, I accept that Sunak did some amazing things for a lot of people today, sadly I'm not one of them.

Don't give up hope yet. Earlier in the week people were stressed about wages and we got some good packages today. If enough self-employed people make a noise I think they'll do something. They don't seem particularly dogmatic at this time, I think people can get pretty much what they want out of Sunak at this time within reason.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10417 on: March 20, 2020, 11:16:46 pm »
Am deleting political points scoring posts cos some can't take a fuckin hint :wave

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #10418 on: March 20, 2020, 11:19:27 pm »
Today's economic response was good start, but yes clearly something significant has to be done to help the self-employed who make up such a large part of the UK workforce now.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #10419 on: March 20, 2020, 11:20:57 pm »

Each countries response and ability to keep their people safe is defined by politics.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 11:26:23 pm by Al 666 »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10420 on: March 20, 2020, 11:26:29 pm »
I don't understand the grant announcement? I was today put down to 60% of my hours (working 3 days instead of 5) so the company can stay afloat. Does this mean I qualify for help, or do you need to essentially have been sacked to get it?

It surely cannot be right that the company and myself would have been better off waiting a day and me taking 80% from the Government for sitting at home while they don't have to pay me?

Is there no way the Government can cover the 40% shortfall in my contracted hours and I can continue to work full time as that would appear to be the best outcome for all concerned and keep me productive. I would still be at home - but I would be working full time.

One fella who works in our place has offered to take unpaid leave to look after his Dad and return at the end of
 the three months. It would be mad if he somehow now qualified for 80% of his wage for doing nothing while I would be getting 60% for working three days a week?

I mean either way it has to be said I'm thankful I've still got 60% of my hours -but obviously 40% is a lot of money I will be missing each month.

I'm in the exact same boat. On Monday, I'm fully expecting work to reverse the 3-day decision and bump everyone back to full time. They will then extract whatever percentage of our wages from the Government that they can. Pretty sure thats how it works anyway, but the wording isnt clear.

A lot of people have lost jobs or had hours cut over the last couple of weeks which now look completely unnecessary.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 11:28:05 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10421 on: March 20, 2020, 11:32:05 pm »
Today's economic response was good start, but yes clearly something significant has to be done to help the self-employed who make up such a large part of the UK workforce now.

This whole thing has left us anxious and fearful. More galling than being self-employed and expected to live on £94 a week is that people on social media are labelling all of us as tax dodgers.  Between myself and my wife, we pay five-figure tax bills every year. We put everything through the books because we believe in the system. If it continues like this, my faith in the system will have broken. Why be legit and pay towards a safety net that will never be offered to you when I could start taking cash?

£94 a week will barely cover the operational costs of us being self-employed (our recurring business expenses that exist as part of our job), never mind give us enough to live on.

Being from NI, I'm used to feeling second-class in the UK, but this is such a kicking when all we needed was a helping hand.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #10422 on: March 20, 2020, 11:34:29 pm »
I'm in the exact same boat. On Monday, I'm fully expecting work to reverse the 3-day decision and bump everyone back to full time. They will then extract whatever percentage of our wages from the Government that they can. Pretty sure thats how it works anyway, but the wording isnt clear.

A lot of people have lost jobs or had hours cut over the last couple of weeks which now look completely unnecessary.

As always the devil will be in the detail. The £2.5k per month limit is gross pay so that is likely to bring down the payments to a max of £475ish take home. The other thing is the effect the end of the tax year will have on things.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10423 on: March 20, 2020, 11:37:44 pm »
This whole thing has left us anxious and fearful. More galling than being self-employed and expected to live on £94 a week is that people on social media are labelling all of us as tax dodgers.  Between myself and my wife, we pay five-figure tax bills every year. We put everything through the books because we believe in the system. If it continues like this, my faith in the system will have broken. Why be legit and pay towards a safety net that will never be offered to you when I could start taking cash?

£94 a week will barely cover the operational costs of us being self-employed (our recurring business expenses that exist as part of our job), never mind give us enough to live on.

Being from NI, I'm used to feeling second-class in the UK, but this is such a kicking when all we needed was a helping hand.

All this

Apart from the NI part..... still getting a good kicking.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #10424 on: March 20, 2020, 11:39:53 pm »

This is what I am hoping too mate. I already made my immediate boss aware of the announcement by the Chancellor and asked that we check the finer details as they become available. I said obviously if for any reason I don't qualify then of course I am happy to continue with less hours - but if something can be done so I can work full time and they are better off that would be even better.

One extreme case could be that they cover the 20% on top of the Government 80% and I remain full time - but even better for the taxpayer is if that they have decided they can afford 60% of my wages that the Government just provide 40% to bridge the gap. And I wouldn't be sitting at home doing nothing (or even worse, doing bits for free)- they'd have me full time, but still have the benefit of reducing my pay for 3 months.

My work were really sound about it and the directors themselves have cut their own pay by 50%. They took a chance on me and I appreciate it. I took the job about 7 weeks ago so in all honesty when I went into the meeting room and wasn't sacked on the spot, I was actually really happy that I had made such an impression that they wanted to keep me on even if it meant in a lower capacity. I'm on probation so presumably bumping me off at this stage would have been
a piece of piss. It's definitely something I won't forget in a hurry.

Apparently others at our firm have gone down to 3 days, but obviously they haven't made me aware of who and have asked me not to speak to anyone about it as they have others to talk to in person still (we are mainly working from home now).

Please let me know how you get on mate :wave
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 11:43:21 pm by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #10425 on: March 20, 2020, 11:40:49 pm »

I think the bigger picture is that no one should be expected to live on £94 a week.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #10427 on: March 20, 2020, 11:46:45 pm »
The World Health Organization said Friday that the original epicentre in China of the coronavirus outbreak at last reporting no new cases gave hope to the rest of the world battling the pandemic.

The city of Wuhan registered no new cases of Covid-19 in 24 hours - for the first time since reporting its first case in December in an outbreak that has gone on to infect more than 250,000 people around the world and kill more than 11,000 people.

"Yesterday, Wuhan reported no new cases for the first time since the outbreak started," WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a virtual news conference in Geneva.

"Wuhan provides hope for the rest of the world that even the most severe situation can be turned around.

"Of course, we must exercise caution; the situation can reverse. But the experience of cities and countries that have pushed back this coronavirus gives hope and courage to the rest of the world."

China as a whole is now reporting only a handful of new infections each day - all of them apparently from overseas visitors - as the crisis has shifted from Asia to Europe, which has now reported more deaths than China.

Dr Tedros said the WHO's greatest worry was the impact that the virus could have if it took hold in countries with weaker health systems or more vulnerable populations.

"That concern has now become very real and urgent," he said, but added that significant sickness and loss of life in such countries was not inevitable.

"Unlike any pandemic in history, we have the power to change the way this goes," he said.

The Chinese National Health Commission reported just three new fatalities, the lowest daily increase since it started publishing figures in January.

There have been nearly 81,000 infections in China, but fewer than 7,000 people remain sick with Covid-19 disease.

The virus is believed to have emerged in an animal market in the central city of Wuhan in December.

Some 56 million people in Wuhan and the surrounding Hubei province were locked down in late January, but authorities are progressively easing the travel curbs as cases have dwindled.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #10428 on: March 20, 2020, 11:48:48 pm »
I wondered why we had so much rain.

Now we're in a dark dystopian Sprawl/Bladerunner/Dark City/Matrix future, it all makes so much more sense.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #10429 on: March 20, 2020, 11:54:07 pm »
This age thing is the worst thing that happened to this virus, I wish they never released the age of the dead, would have changed the game.

Wait till we have someone famous and/or young die with a profile, that will change things, it will send some shockwaves through some of the complacent

You can see the authorities trying to get that message across now, especially in America with those spring breakers.

As for those spring breakers, there is something abhorrent about their selfishness, they don't represent young people or even Americans but their general attitude of 'as long as I have a good time' is completely out of step with the times, I have more respect for people hoarding Baked Beans.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #10430 on: March 20, 2020, 11:58:48 pm »
Wuhan shows what can be done, unfortunately the cat is out of the bag. I can see calls for pulling up the drawbridge in this country if we get it under control because it won't be possible to control everywhere and we haven't really started with the poor parts of the world. Wuhan will remain free but tight if the cases cease because China had a tight system which they have/could impose, without sounding flippant skiing, business and tourism created the second wave in the west (and Iran). The real problems start when this takes hold in Africa and India and similar.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #10431 on: March 21, 2020, 12:03:44 am »
Wuhan shows what can be done, unfortunately the cat is out of the bag. I can see calls for pulling up the drawbridge in this country if we get it under control because it won't be possible to control everywhere and we haven't really started with the poor parts of the world. Wuhan will remain free but tight if the cases cease because China had a tight system which they have/could impose, without sounding flippant skiing, business and tourism created the second wave in the west (and Iran). The real problems start when this takes hold in Africa and India and similar.

From what I've read, Wuhan could be a disaster once people are allowed to mix again.

Hopefully not.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10432 on: March 21, 2020, 12:03:47 am »
This is what I am hoping too mate. I already made my immediate boss aware of the announcement by the Chancellor and asked that we check the finer details as they become available. I said obviously if for any reason I don't qualify then of course I am happy to continue with less hours - but if something can be done so I can work full time and they are better off that would be even better.

One extreme case could be that they cover the 20% on top of the Government 80% and I remain full time - but even better for the taxpayer is if that they have decided they can afford 60% of my wages that the Government just provide 40% to bridge the gap. And I wouldn't be sitting at home doing nothing (or even worse, doing bits for free)- they'd have me full time, but still have the benefit of reducing my pay for 3 months.

My work were really sound about it and the directors themselves have cut their own pay by 50%. They took a chance on me and I appreciate it. I took the job about 7 weeks ago so in all honesty when I went into the meeting room and wasn't sacked on the spot, I was actually really happy that I had made such an impression that they wanted to keep me on even if it meant in a lower capacity. I'm on probation so presumably bumping me off at this stage would have been
a piece of piss. It's definitely something I won't forget in a hurry.

Apparently others at our firm have gone down to 3 days, but obviously they haven't made me aware of who and have asked me not to speak to anyone about it as they have others to talk to in person still (we are mainly working from home now).

Please let me know how you get on mate :wave

If the companies dont find a way to put us back to 100% then I see it as a huge flaw in the scheme. In that I would be better off not working (earning 80% of my wage) than I would be working 3 days (earning 60% of my wage).
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10433 on: March 21, 2020, 12:04:16 am »
I was thinking about taking up cycling again just to get some air, sun and exercise during all of this. I'm assuming that's okay as I won't be getting close to other people ideally, or is it a shitty idea?

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10434 on: March 21, 2020, 12:05:16 am »
I have it lads, been told to stay away from work etc, seems like only a mild case, cold like symptoms, headaches, aches and pains, severe lethargy, I watch those videos of those poor people on ventilation etc and feel equal pity and shame, for getting off so lightly.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #10435 on: March 21, 2020, 12:09:14 am »
If the companies dont find a way to put us back to 100% then I see it as a huge flaw in the scheme. In that I would be better off not working (earning 80% of my wage) than I would be working 3 days (earning 60% of my wage).
Yeah I often write too much for my own good - that's basically the crux of it.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #10436 on: March 21, 2020, 12:09:49 am »
I have it lads, been told to stay away from work etc, seems like only a mild case, cold like symptoms, headaches, aches and pains, severe lethargy, I watch those videos of those poor people on ventilation etc and feel equal pity and shame, for getting off so lightly.

You can't control other people you can only control yourself. Never feel ashamed for it - it's not your fault.

Rest up and get better mate.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #10437 on: March 21, 2020, 12:11:52 am »
Really sorry to hear this.  :-\

I'm sure you'll follow the advice, lie low for a while and make a full recovery.

Take care of yourself. All the best.

Oh, although I get what you're saying, you have nothing to feel shame about. We can only deal the hand we are dealt. None of us choose this.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: COVID-19 - The General Stuff Thread
« Reply #10438 on: March 21, 2020, 12:13:20 am »
I have no idea.

It was in response to the "European Commissioner" who was indicating "strain" for service providers, and Netflix simply appear to have agreed to reduce bit rates as a co-operative concession to that request. I understand how it's currently a "strain" to get bog roll, pasta and sanitizer into the hands of every end-user seeking these items, but I guess I just don't fully understand how it can become a "strain" for ISPs to deliver "pixels" to TV screens and monitors, even under a far more weighty demand model than they've likely projected.

Hence the request for some "tech" enlightenment.

I’m sure someone has explained, but bandwidth is finite. Think of it as water running through pipes.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10439 on: March 21, 2020, 12:14:45 am »
I honestly worry for peoples mental health with this. It's all understandable and required, but if this quarantine goes on for a couple of months (which is probably the bare minimum), with rolling bad news stories and no real distractions, I can see people getting into a really dark place. Heaven forbid if this has to go on for the whole year, which is a very real possibility.

Theres not much that can be done, other than what you do yourself, but that only goes so far. I know there are worst things in life than being forced to stay in doors for extended periods, but it's not going to be great for a lot of people.

I've been working at home all week, sounds great right? But in reality I find it really intense, I have an office setup for work and start really early, sometimes at 6am, as I would going into the office. I achieve alot but also get mithered alot with Skype calls and emails etc. When working at home I quite often forget to eat and drink because I just get into the zone. Anyway by Thursday night I'd had enough, logged out and switched everything off and booked a flexiday today (Friday). Now that my managers have my personal mobile number for 'duty of care' reasons I was getting mithered today, even though I'm not in work.

I needed to get out and went to play golf with some mates, they've banned us taking the pins out and using the rakes in bunkers (they are GUR) due to the virus. We no longer shake hands and just touch clubs, it was a godsend to get out into the open air and do some exercise.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"