Author Topic: Harry Maguire considering his options thread  (Read 3289319 times)

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: United - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - 2018-21: Good Morning Sweet Prince!
« Reply #25440 on: November 17, 2021, 06:41:18 pm »
I remember that friendly, too. It was the first time I'd seen live images of Jurgen, until then he'd been a name I knew was held in high esteem, and knew about his Dortmund achievements, but it was all on paper until then. And yeah, as soon as I saw him touch the sign, and then his respectful - almost reverent - demeanour throughout the game made me think, "you know, this guy is going to manage us one day". You could just feel it. And if memory serves, Dortmund lost 4-0 that day to a Liverpool side that was in sharp post-Suarez decline. But it didn't matter, it always felt like a match made in heaven.

Remember it well and whilst I didn’t for a minute imagine he would manage Liverpool I thought yeah this bloke is enjoying himself here. If I remember right, during the warm ups he stood arms behind back on the centre line with his team warming up behind him at the Anfield road end and just watched and took in the kop.

Compare that too, “Man Utd told me they were like Disney land for adults, that wasn’t to cool”

Why so many people globally are drawn to them really does baffle me, they are quite dull. Yes they had their success and I’m sure that’s why, but other than that they are bland as fuck.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 06:47:36 pm by red1977 »

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #25441 on: November 17, 2021, 07:11:42 pm »
Plus he stood on the pitch watching the Kop and the flags and banners, in awe. It was a done deal from that point.
Klopp was also quoted in the press, long, long before he came here, saying something like 'I would find it very hard to say no to Liverpool'. We were the PL club he wanted - which is not surprising considering what we were doing while he was growing up.

If he did indeed spend a bit of time mulling over the United approach then maybe he was wondering if going to Utd (as a stopgap) would make it difficult for him ever to manage LFC.

Good shout, that. It was Liverpool he wanted most.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25442 on: November 17, 2021, 07:17:10 pm »
ah man, when moyes was announced this place was on fire for hours, 1. cos we couldn't believe they'd actually done it 2. cos it was fucking hilarious and the funniest thread i've ever seen roll out live, still makes me smile now thinking about that day, genuine lol for hours

The hilarity as he helped so many sides snap historical winless at OT was so good, not to mention the crossing stats and that Fulham scoreline gif.  ;D

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25443 on: November 17, 2021, 07:24:17 pm »
It felt destined he was coming here for a good few years before he did, and seemed to be more about the timing aligning in terms of his time being up at Dortmund and us being in a position of looking for a manager. With Rodgers' final full season here being pretty shocking, and his time at Dortmund ending it prob seemed more of a when not if for both the club and Klopp.

Which is why he took the break. He was prepared to wait. He was telling us that, ready when you are...

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25444 on: November 17, 2021, 07:35:52 pm »
This is a pisstaking thread. If you want to whine, start an 'isn't it so unfair how Manchester United and Red Cafe and Ole and Gary Neville and Manchester oh so maligned and why oh why oh why oh why oh why does it always rain on me?"

Go 'ed, Andy, lad

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25445 on: November 17, 2021, 07:39:13 pm »
ah man, when moyes was announced this place was on fire for hours, 1. cos we couldn't believe they'd actually done it 2. cos it was fucking hilarious and the funniest thread i've ever seen roll out live, still makes me smile now thinking about that day, genuine lol for hours

The best, funniest thing was that we all knew how it would end up, we were one part scratching our heads in disbelief, two.parts rolling in the aisles.  ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25446 on: November 17, 2021, 07:54:35 pm »
Which is why he took the break. He was prepared to wait. He was telling us that, ready when you are...

I've heard it was the other way around.  ;)
Jurgen YNWA

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25447 on: November 17, 2021, 08:02:59 pm »
Seeing as we keep talking about Jurgen in the Man U thread, I thought I may as well put a photo up to remind them of what he looks like

Jurgen YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25448 on: November 17, 2021, 08:16:39 pm »

So was Conte for United - oh, wait...

Popcorn's Art

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25449 on: November 17, 2021, 08:22:44 pm »
So was Conte for United - oh, wait...

Yeah, Ithought that was coming next. United dithering again. Basket case they are. Far too many wrong steps. Like us in the 90's

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #25450 on: November 17, 2021, 08:24:55 pm »
Remember it well and whilst I didn’t for a minute imagine he would manage Liverpool I thought yeah this bloke is enjoying himself here. If I remember right, during the warm ups he stood arms behind back on the centre line with his team warming up behind him at the Anfield road end and just watched and took in the kop.

Compare that too, “Man Utd told me they were like Disney land for adults, that wasn’t to cool”

Why so many people globally are drawn to them really does baffle me, they are quite dull. Yes they had their success and I’m sure that’s why, but other than that they are bland as fuck.

Watching the opposition team warm up is what he always does mind!

Kloppo is a football romantic though for sure.  He ends up getting so emotionally invested in his teams. When he left Mainz, and he was in tears at the last match and at the farewell party they threw for him, he swore he’d not allow himself to get so attached again, but it happened again at Dortmund and of course now.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25451 on: November 17, 2021, 08:27:43 pm »

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25452 on: November 17, 2021, 08:32:39 pm »
Watching the opposition team warm up is what he always does mind!

Kloppo is a football romantic though for sure.  He ends up getting so emotionally invested in his teams. When he left Mainz, and he was in tears at the last match and at the farewell party they threw for him, he swore he’d not allow himself to get so attached again, but it happened again at Dortmund and of course now.

Oh aye, I know he watches the opposition warm up. I missed Ghost towns post and I’ve repeated what he said. He just watched the kop. (It’s hazy, but Liverpool weren’t out, maybe Dortmund weren’t out either, but they must have been cos he’s not going to stand out their on his own.  just remember him watching the kop on the pitch. I remember thinking, he is into the history and is soaking it up in admiration, he had the massive and vibrant yellow wall every week so he must know his stuff where Liverpool are concerned and it looked like a personal moment for him).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 08:51:22 pm by red1977 »

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #25453 on: November 17, 2021, 08:37:13 pm »
Greater Manchester Police
@gmpolice
·
4h
#ARRESTS | Ten people have been arrested this morning following a series of warrants across #GreaterManchester, #Lancashire and #Cheshire, in relation to the violent disorder at the #MUFC v #LFC match at Old Trafford back in May.

https://twitter.com/gmpolice/status/1460894715616845824?s=20
Is this purely to do with the originally-scheduled game? Or for the game that actually happened, the 4-2 win? I'd assumed it was for the cancelled one, but the use of the word 'match' implies it was for the one that actually happened.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25454 on: November 17, 2021, 08:38:53 pm »
Yeah, Ithought that was coming next. United dithering again. Basket case they are. Far too many wrong steps. Like us in the 90's

Yep. FSG had basically already told Rodgers he was out, regardless of how the derby panned out.  They've always been pretty ruthless, maybe because winning is important to them, although not at the cost of fracturing the club's finances.

The Glazers never learned the football side of things because in Ferguson they had lightning in a bottle. They've swung from one extreme to another - from sacking to early to clinging on past what was good for the club. It's actually annoying as fuck that their "brand" hasn't taken more of a financial hit from their obvious mismanagement.

Imagine if we had spent as much on duds as they have over the past five years?

Popcorn's Art

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #25455 on: November 17, 2021, 09:02:54 pm »
I've heard it was the other way around.  ;)
Yeah I think it was the other way round. FSG wanted Klopp, but he wanted a break which is why FSG retained Rodgers at the start of the 15/16 season when everyone assumed he'd be sacked after the awful end to the previous season. They kept him knowing that Kloppo would be available in a few months, so there was no point in appointing anyone else. Which is not very nice for Rodgers, I guess.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #25456 on: November 17, 2021, 10:14:05 pm »
Is this purely to do with the originally-scheduled game? Or for the game that actually happened, the 4-2 win? I'd assumed it was for the cancelled one, but the use of the word 'match' implies it was for the one that actually happened.

That's a good point, I had assumed the same as you. Was there any bother on the actual match day, I can't remember?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #25457 on: November 17, 2021, 10:27:39 pm »
That's a good point, I had assumed the same as you. Was there any bother on the actual match day, I can't remember?

There were reports of them trying to stop the busses arriving but felt like most of it was rumours.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25458 on: November 17, 2021, 10:46:55 pm »
Wasn't there footage of them spitting their collective dummy out in the city centre when the actual match happened?

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25459 on: November 17, 2021, 10:57:29 pm »
Yeah I think it was the other way round. FSG wanted Klopp, but he wanted a break which is why FSG retained Rodgers at the start of the 15/16 season when everyone assumed he'd be sacked after the awful end to the previous season. They kept him knowing that Kloppo would be available in a few months, so there was no point in appointing anyone else. Which is not very nice for Rodgers, I guess.

The person who told me about Klopp just after Brendan got sacked was talking to Brendan on the previous Thursday and said he was well out of sorts and reckoned he knew he was going to get sacked.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25460 on: November 17, 2021, 11:00:45 pm »
I’d like to laugh at a manager and squad (who’ve made Tactics Tim Sherwood’s Spurs look like Cruyff’s Barcelona in comparison to them) taking a two week vacation rather than working on anything, anything at all, but I’m worrried the page count might tick over into Obsessed.

Then I remember the “we are back” poster following the Newcastle match, followed by the season they’re having, Ole’s vacation plans, Maguire ear cupping, Sancho wondering idly what the fuck is going on, Martial’s facial expressions, geriatric Mata on higher wages than some of our best performers, oh and maybe Ed Woodward isn’t leaving after all.  Bantz for days!  But eh if they just sign a world class CM RB AND RW……..

The Glazers are at the wheel!
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #25461 on: November 17, 2021, 11:08:41 pm »
I’d like to laugh at a manager and squad (who’ve made Tactics Tim Sherwood’s Spurs look like Cruyff’s Barcelona in comparison to them) taking a two week vacation rather than working on anything, anything at all, but I’m worrried the page count might tick over into Obsessed.

Then I remember the “we are back” poster following the Newcastle match, followed by the season they’re having, Ole’s vacation plans, Maguire ear cupping, Sancho wondering idly what the fuck is going on, Martial’s facial expressions, geriatric Mata on higher wages than some of our best performers, oh and maybe Ed Woodward isn’t leaving after all.  Bantz for days!  But eh if they just sign a world class CM RB AND RW……..

The Glazers are at the wheel!

You've missed Van De Beek from your list of unintended hilarity.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #25462 on: November 17, 2021, 11:09:55 pm »
He's still there isn't he...😂
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #25463 on: November 18, 2021, 02:34:42 am »

I say fuck the reality. I’m opting for the VBG romantic shout every time.  ;D

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25464 on: November 18, 2021, 08:23:37 am »
I say fuck the reality. I’m opting for the VBG romantic shout every time.  ;D

:lmao

It's a bit chicken or egg, T. Jurgen taking the break was a deliberate ploy. He was happy to wait a year if need be. He might well of had an indication from FSG. Jurgen was ready when they were. He cleared the decks that's for sure

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25465 on: November 18, 2021, 09:55:50 am »
I like romance Timbo, I heard from a mate of a mate who's dad supplied the shin pads to melwood that Shanks foresaw  his promise as a manager before he was born and tapped up his parents, the Keegan Hamburg transfer was cover for Shanks to sneak over to Germany while Bob ran the team , Paisley knew about it was worried about losing Keegan but went along when he was promised Dalglish who was sorted by Stein as a favour for his old mate Shanks
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25466 on: November 18, 2021, 10:01:04 am »
I like romance Timbo, I heard from a mate of a mate who's dad supplied the shin pads to melwood that Shanks foresaw  his promise as a manager before he was born and tapped up his parents, the Keegan Hamburg transfer was cover for Shanks to sneak over to Germany while Bob ran the team , Paisley knew about it was worried about losing Keegan but went along when he was promised Dalglish who was sorted by Stein as a favour for his old mate Shanks

It would be nice to know Klopp was achieving a long held ambition when he accepted the job with us
Jurgen YNWA

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #25467 on: November 18, 2021, 10:19:19 am »
There were reports of them trying to stop the busses arriving but felt like most of it was rumours.

Oh yeah, was that the day they tried to let the bus tyres down but we had a dummy bus or something?! And there was that weird footage of someone on a trike or something cycling past?!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25468 on: November 18, 2021, 10:22:23 am »

Yeah, like Nick says, we sent our bus on a dummy run through some shithole estate and the inbred fuckwits blocked it in thinking the team were on it :lmao

Jurgen YNWA

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #25469 on: November 18, 2021, 10:54:19 am »
Oh yeah, was that the day they tried to let the bus tyres down but we had a dummy bus or something?! And there was that weird footage of someone on a trike or something cycling past?!
A trike? Most likely ole at the wheel .
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #25470 on: November 18, 2021, 10:56:25 am »
Imagine sending a kid on at 0-2 in a derby that hasn’t played for 2 years.

What an absolute dog act from Ole.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #25471 on: November 18, 2021, 11:37:37 am »
:lmao

It's a bit chicken or egg, T. Jurgen taking the break was a deliberate ploy. He was happy to wait a year if need be. He might well of had an indication from FSG. Jurgen was ready when they were. He cleared the decks that's for sure

I think you might be looking a bit too deeply into it VBG  ;D

He was contracted for another 2 seasons at Dortmund, this was the first time he ever broke a contract. He said at the time it was just easier for him to leave than for them to change half the teams, as it needed a re-boot after 7 years, plus he wanted a break after a tough few months.

Everything else just fell into place, the wonders of perfect timing. Not to say FSG didn’t grasp the moment, but it wasn’t planned on Kloppo’s side.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25472 on: November 18, 2021, 12:15:58 pm »

It was like the batman beyond project. Shankly secretly planned to have some of his DNA grafted into Jurgen as a newborn, so he could eventually return to manage us.

Popcorn's Art

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #25473 on: November 18, 2021, 03:13:57 pm »
Imagine sending a kid on at 0-2 in a derby that hasn’t played for 2 years.

What an absolute dog act from Ole.
I was trying to figure out who you meant so I checked the game data. Two different sources say United made four subs in the game; that's surely wrong?

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #25474 on: November 18, 2021, 03:15:03 pm »
One was a concussion sub.
AHA!

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #25475 on: November 18, 2021, 03:31:45 pm »
It's rather funny that we're discussing Klopp joining Liverpool in the Man Utd thread, as if that club were irrelevent - rather like people going to OT to turn their back on the game and check out the crustacean-based comestibles.

I think both sides have some truth to it. I'm pretty convinced that Klopp wanted to come to LFC above any other PL club. But as DG says he also really needed a break after deciding to leave Dortmund early, before his contract was up. Did he watch the last days of the 14/15 season at LFC and see that the writing was on the wall for Rodgers and that FSG would probably make a move soon? Maybe. But we know what a straight-up guy he is. He knew that for his own and his family's sake he needed a break, so he took it. If that helped him get the LFC job as well then all the better.

Meanwhile FSG knew that time was up for Rodgers and saw that Klopp was free, but on his break. Solution? Keep Rodgers on (against all expectation) for a couple of months of the new season until the man they really wanted was refreshed and ready. No point in appointing anyone else or a caretaker; let Rodgers be the caretaker. Whether Rodgers was told that or not when he went to meet FSG and somewhat surprisingly came back still with a job, I don't know. Perhaps he knew but backed himself to start the season with a bang and force a change of plan? Who knows.

It worked out well for us, for Klopp and FSG - and Rodgers is on the up again as well, so everyone wins...except Ole.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #25476 on: November 18, 2021, 05:15:47 pm »
Watford then.

Ole's biggest match of the season.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25477 on: November 19, 2021, 10:04:46 am »
Try this
“Alexa Say something rude about Man United”

and

“Alexa Say something rude about Manchester United”
Jurgen YNWA

Offline CaseRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25478 on: November 19, 2021, 11:10:49 am »
Try this
“Alexa Say something rude about Man United”

and

“Alexa Say something rude about Manchester United”

Good variety but nothing will ever beat "Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson Carrots 100 in Welsh."

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25479 on: November 19, 2021, 02:27:57 pm »
Good variety but nothing will ever beat "Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson Carrots 100 in Welsh."

That was the best ;D
Jurgen YNWA