Author Topic: Sheffield United Thread: Can they avoid relegation? Hopefully not.  (Read 39237 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Sheffield United Thread: Can they avoid relegation? Hopefully not.
« Reply #280 on: December 30, 2020, 12:43:50 pm »
If Wilder hadn’t been such a prick this season I’d feel bad for them, but he has so I don’t.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #281 on: December 30, 2020, 12:51:16 pm »
If Wilder hadn’t been such a prick this season I’d feel bad for them, but he has so I don’t.

This is what I think when I see your posts.

If didn't post like a prick I would feel sorry for you  ;)

Love you really  :-*

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: January 2, 2021, 10:02:33 am »
Rhian Brewster must be wondering what the hell he's done

I can see him doing similar to Solanke next season though
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #283 on: January 2, 2021, 10:38:54 am »
I can see him doing similar to Solanke next season though

Complete waste of a year for him though. Wilder is the wrong manager for him as well. Even last season their top scorer had 6 goals, whenever I watch them they barely even have the ball in the box during 90 minutes.

Ordinarily he'd have been sacked after 10 games and a new manager bounce and a different way of playing and he may have benefited.

If they lose today at Palace they have to get rid.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: January 2, 2021, 10:41:17 am »
Why do they need to get rid? At this point they might as well accept relegation. If that is the case then if they believe wilder is the best option for them coming back up, or they don't think they could get anyone better, they'd be mad to sack him.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: January 2, 2021, 11:13:18 am »
Why do they need to get rid? At this point they might as well accept relegation. If that is the case then if they believe wilder is the best option for them coming back up, or they don't think they could get anyone better, they'd be mad to sack him.

If Wilder takes them down with 10-15 points (or worse) then he'd have to buy a whole new squad in the summer to get rid of the losing culture and he's made a right mess of recruitment this year and his own tactics.

2 points from 16 games is not acceptable at any level for any manager (19 if you include the last 3 games of last season). There's a minimum standard for any manager. Burnley stuck with Dyche after relegation and Norwich stuck with Farke because they were at least competitive in the season.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: January 2, 2021, 11:40:26 am »
Norwich went down with, 21 points, one of the lowest premier League totals. In their last 16 games before going down they picked up 7 points and scored 4 goals. They were not as good as the perception

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: January 2, 2021, 12:07:40 pm »
Norwich went down with, 21 points, one of the lowest premier League totals. In their last 16 games before going down they picked up 7 points and scored 4 goals. They were not as good as the perception

That's true, but they were competitive until the lockdown (6 points from safety with 8 games left) and just didn't get going after that, as they lost their rhythm which is difficult to pick up after a 3 month break if you're a high pressing side. If the season finished as normal they'd have probably still gone down but would have got more points,. They were also decimated by big injuries all season (like us essentially but with a smaller squad) and also had maybe the lowest budget in the league. Sheffield United spent big money on players like Ramsdale and Brewster in the summer and Berge in January.

Farke despite that bad run had done enough to earn the chance to get them back up. If Wilder does turn it around to the point where they at least get 20+ points then maybe.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2021, 12:11:32 pm by Fromola »

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #288 on: January 2, 2021, 12:26:54 pm »
Weirdly,  I don't think they are 100% out of it yet.
Its been a strange season, so if they go on a 4 match winning spree (1-0 borefests) then they are back in it.
Funnily,  most of their losses have been by the odd goal margin, so it's not entirely inconceivable...
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Online MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #289 on: January 2, 2021, 04:31:50 pm »
2-0 down to a very average Palace side at the moment.

Never really thought about Sheffield United until this season. I've got nothing against the club generally speaking.

I'd fucking love it if they get relegated without winning a single game though. Wilder has been a right prick this season so fuck him & fuck his team.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #290 on: January 2, 2021, 04:38:08 pm »
Weirdly,  I don't think they are 100% out of it yet.
Its been a strange season, so if they go on a 4 match winning spree (1-0 borefests) then they are back in it.
Funnily,  most of their losses have been by the odd goal margin, so it's not entirely inconceivable...

It's no longer a question of if they'll go down, it's a question of will they get fewer than Derby County's points total.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: January 2, 2021, 04:54:32 pm »
2-0 down to a very average Palace side at the moment.

Never really thought about Sheffield United until this season. I've got nothing against the club generally speaking.

I'd fucking love it if they get relegated without winning a single game though. Wilder has been a right prick this season so fuck him & fuck his team.

The players just aren't playing for him at all and he's out of ideas.

There's a lack of quality there anyway, but it doesn't excuse the worst ever start to a top flight season, or the inability to even get the ball into the box. Ordinarily, he'd have been sacked after 10 games and they'd have had a mini new manager bounce and then take it from there. It's unusual to keep a manager in place like this who has clearly lost it.

The worst PL records are teams who come up and are just not up to the PL. These players were pushing for Europe last year.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: January 2, 2021, 04:58:59 pm »
When it comes to Sheff Utd, it just shows how much of a difference their fans made. Because that is an awful squad. As it was last season too.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: January 2, 2021, 05:13:24 pm »
When it comes to Sheff Utd, it just shows how much of a difference their fans made. Because that is an awful squad. As it was last season too.

They were good away from home as well though last season, at least before lockdown. We put in one of our best performances of the season at home to them (Wilder spoke well after the game) but they still gave us a tough game. We'd have battered other sides that day. They were very dogged last season and tough to break down.

Away at Spurs and Man City I remember they were the best side and got done over by those shitty VAR offsides.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: January 2, 2021, 05:29:20 pm »
There really isn’t some big trick. They did excellently last season with a championship squad and clever, innovative tactics and this season teams are wise to it and Chris Wilder hasn’t really got the nouse to turn it around.

There’s still easily three teams I’d rather go down but I find it impossible to feel bad for them considering how much of a knob Wilder has been towards Jurgen this season
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #295 on: January 2, 2021, 05:30:18 pm »
Give it to Sean Bean for the season

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #296 on: January 2, 2021, 05:32:46 pm »
Give it to Sean Bean for the season

Heads will roll.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: January 2, 2021, 05:36:57 pm »
One does not simply walk into a manager job.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: January 2, 2021, 05:37:59 pm »
Another day, another will work hard and keep focus

Just a manager in over his head, the club are paying for it
A win for the Liverpool country

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #300 on: January 2, 2021, 05:44:02 pm »
Championship quality squad.
Tactics have been found out.
No fans to give an extra 5-10%.
Poor summer signings. Especially in the GK department. Massive downgrade there.
A manager in over his head.

Oh and....

The inability to use 5 subs.

It's a combination of all these things as to why Sheff Utd are where they are.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: January 2, 2021, 07:06:12 pm »
So why exactly aren't the club sacking him when it's clear they aren't turning it around? Have they decided that they'll be happy with the parachute payments or something?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #302 on: January 2, 2021, 07:08:53 pm »
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: January 2, 2021, 07:32:26 pm »
So why exactly aren't the club sacking him when it's clear they aren't turning it around? Have they decided that they'll be happy with the parachute payments or something?

Presumably they are looking at from the Burnley/Dyche perspective:  He did a tremendous job to get them up, and if they have to go down, he's the best guy to get them back up again.

They are dismal this year, and he's obviously not Rawk's favourite manager, but it's hard to argue he hasn't done a fine job overall for them.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: January 3, 2021, 09:48:03 am »
Imagine how bad they'd be doing if there were 5 subs and the other teams had an unfair advantage!

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #305 on: January 3, 2021, 09:50:46 am »

I guess we'll see if his tactic still works in the championship next season, he doesn't seem to have anything else!

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: January 3, 2021, 10:26:02 am »
Championship quality squad.
No fans to give an extra 5-10%.
Poor summer signings. Especially in the GK department. Massive downgrade there.
A manager in over his head.

Oh and....

The inability to use 5 subs.

It's a combination of all these things as to why Sheff Utd are where they are.

A perfect storm it may be, but there's no justification for 2 points from 20 games at this level (including last 3 games of last season).  Maybe if there was a financial crisis and they had to sell off their squad and play the youth team, or something like that. But Wilder has spent relatively big money in 2020 to build on what they achieved in 2019.

Online MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #307 on: January 12, 2021, 07:56:26 pm »
Fucks sake, Newcastle!  :no

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #308 on: January 12, 2021, 09:12:24 pm »
It's on

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #309 on: January 12, 2021, 09:18:25 pm »
It's on

No. Their match finished earlier.   ;)
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: March 12, 2021, 10:18:36 am »
Sounds like Wilder is off if reports are to be believed.

Timing is a bit weird.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #311 on: March 12, 2021, 10:19:34 am »
Chris Wilder is to be sacked today, per Talkshite.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #312 on: March 12, 2021, 10:24:05 am »
That is a bit odd. If they thought they had a chance to stay up and needed a change surely they chills have acted at Christmas. I thought they had accepted relegation and were going to give him the chance to rebuild and try and take them up again next year.

The abuse he got because he disagreed with Klopp was a bit OTT. He did very well to get them up, even better to keep them up and this season they’ve just kind of reverted to how most people expected them to do last season.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: March 12, 2021, 10:27:30 am »
That is a bit odd. If they thought they had a chance to stay up and needed a change surely they chills have acted at Christmas. I thought they had accepted relegation and were going to give him the chance to rebuild and try and take them up again next year.

The abuse he got because he disagreed with Klopp was a bit OTT. He did very well to get them up, even better to keep them up and this season they’ve just kind of reverted to how most people expected them to do last season.

Maybe a little, but I dont think it was just because he disagreed. It seemed more that he was specifically targeting Klopp and name dropping him and us every other press conference, to make a point. Which was annoying

Shame though, he's still better than most in this league and I'd much prefer them up than someone like Burnley or Newcastle. Also seems odd if they're the ones getting rid as surely he's the best man to get them back up again.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: March 12, 2021, 10:48:24 am »
Sounds like it's a fallout with the ownership rather than a decision made to try and stay in the league or anything. Think if that was the case, it'd have been done long ago.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: March 12, 2021, 10:49:04 am »
And its official

Sound like its sacked as well rather than mutual decision or whatever. Seems mad.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #316 on: March 12, 2021, 10:54:35 am »
It's a fair enough decision to sack him. Imagine losing to us in the league  :P
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: March 12, 2021, 11:02:59 am »
Sort of side you can we easily getting relegated again next season. Spent a decade basically doing nothing before Wilder and he seems to have been given a lot of control to help them.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #318 on: March 12, 2021, 11:08:42 am »
Send Brewster home.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: March 12, 2021, 11:11:48 am »
Mental decision. Back to back promotions and then almost made Europe. They have so many injuries as well.

Wilder has been a Sheffield United fan all his life too. Modern football is shite.