Author Topic: CL: FC Red Saltzburg 0 v Liverpool 2 Keita 57', Salah 58'  (Read 72977 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
CL: FC Red Saltzburg 0 v Liverpool 2 Keita 57', Salah 58'
« on: December 10, 2019, 05:27:50 pm »
Red Bull Salzburg vs Liverpool, Tuesday 10th December 2019, 17:055, EM-Stadion Wals-Siezenheim

vs   

For those who haven’t read it (or even of you have, it's well worth reading again), hbhr’s beautiful OP for the home tie against these needs to be read to get everyone in the mood for the away tie:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=343714.0

I was hoping this would be the easiest pre match thread to write but the 1-1 draw at home to Napoli a couple of weeks ago means we need to go to Salzburg and avoid defeat to guarantee going through so unfortunately we have to be all business for this one.

Salzburg

As cynical as the Red Bull enterprise may be, in footballing terms, we all know this Salzburg side is going to be a stern a test, top of their league and unbeaten and having scored what seems like a hatful of goals in every single game they’ve played, including coming back from 3-0 down at Anfield before Salah won the game for us. I’ll admit, I’ve only seen them play in the game but they looked a strong side and Minamino and Hee-Chan in particular caused us a lot of problems. I don’t think Halaand did all that much when he came on in that game but he scored their equaliser (that’s not too bad from their point of view I guess) and has scored 27 goals in 19 games this season so I reckon he’s pretty decent at finding the back of the net. Their team itself has scored 64 goals in 17 league games, remaining unbeaten, having won only 13 of their 17 league games, bloody amateurs.

Still, it shouldn't be forgotten how well we played at Anfield against them, especially early on and Andy Robertson's goal remains one of my favourite goals of the season so far because, well, there's absolutely no reason why anyone wouldn't love it.

We of course have two former Salzburg players in our squad in Keita and Mane. Keita's been the one big Klopp signing that hasn't been 100% successful I think it's fair to say, for a variety of reasons but it's clear he has something he can bring to our midfield that most other players we have in that position, Oxlade-Chamberlain aside, don't have and after his performance against Bournemouth on Saturday, we'll hopefully start to see more of that from him.

Mane of course very much has been a success and keeps on elevating his game season upon season, right from his goal at Arsenal on his debut, he just keeps better and better, having the goalscoring numbers of a number nine and the overall game of a hybrid winger and classic number ten. Most importantly, he's the personification of a fucking mentality giant. Biased of course but he's been the best player in England this season.

So two fine teams and as well know, we’ve had to navigate similar challenges before however, not least last season where we needed to beat a strong Napoli side (which wasn't in disarray) by a goal to nil or by two clear goals to go through.

Napoli 2018

Aside from Alisson being Alisson in the last minute, it was a game that we bossed and one that should have been far more comfortable than it turned out to be. Alisson's save from Milik was the moment in that game however and in hindsight, it's better to be able to add that moment to the list of iconic moments than to have run out 5-0 winners (I think).

Olympiakos 2004

The classic when talking about final group stage games. I saw this game again recently and like the Napoli game, it was one we dominated but fell behind to Rivaldo’s free kick. In recent games we’ve seen semi first teamers in Origi, Shaqiri, Lallana and Keita step up when we needed them and here, Florent Sinama-Pongolle and Neil Mellor wrote themselves into our history before Mellor set up Gerrard for one of the most iconic moments this club has ever had. Thankfully for us, it wasn't the most iconic thing that happened that season.

My memory is hazy as to whether that was before or after Mellor's last minute 30 yard winner against Arsenal (I think after?) but in any case, it was around the same time. I'd say that that was the kind of thing we've all dreamed about at some point in our lives and it's the kind of thing sticks in supporters minds forever. That it was via an Academy graduate just makes it that little bit more special.

Marseille 2007

Unbelievably in 2007, we got one point from our first three Champions League games and needed to win the last three to go through. So we demolished Beşiktaş, who had beaten us in Turkey, 8-0 (a game we were so good in, that night Babel scored a goal off his arse) and then beat Porto 4-1 before travelling to France to face a strong Marseille side which had deservedly beaten us at Anfield earlier on in the competition.

Ultimately, we went there and played like it was a training session (rather like the Bournemouth game just gone), went 2-0 up in the first 10 minutes, including Torres dancing through their whole defence for our second before Kurt and Babel added gloss to the scoreline to make it 4-0. At this point, I've changed my mind, we've had enough historic moments already so that I'd take a comfortable 4-0 victory like this one rather than Alisson saving from Haaland in the last minute or Henderson scoring the equaliser four minutes from time please.

Let’s have it!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 07:12:54 pm by jingllebellc jingllebellc »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CL: FC Red Saltzburg v Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 05:30:03 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 05:31:31 pm »
Red Bull Salzburg team to face #LFC: Stankovic, Kristensen, Onguene, Wober, Ulmer, Mwepu, Junuzovic, Minamino, Szoboszlai, Hwang, Haaland

Offline NYCRedsFan

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destination Anfield(postponed)scratch that.Sorted
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 05:41:28 pm »
Let's hope Lovren is OK after the knock he took on the weekend
Not your typical OOT. Do-er of good deeds.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 05:47:57 pm »
Naby a surprise,  if he plays against his former club so will be used to the stadium and atmosphere..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 05:48:48 pm »
Some atmosphere it is too, need to be ready for that storm at the start and ride it out.

Offline NYCRedsFan

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 05:56:51 pm »
1' we're off, and RedBull start with all cylinders going....

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 05:56:51 pm »
0 and were off... and a through ball sets Haaland off between VVD and Robbo. 

VVD eats up the ground and tackles him...

And just after VVD has to clear up on the stretch again.

Phew.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 05:58:42 pm »
2 from the corner, it’s headed clear, a shot form the header goes well wide...
They are pressing like crazy and force a mistake and minamono shoots into Alissons arms
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 05:59:19 pm »
Napoli 1-0 Gent
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 06:00:42 pm »
Napoli  are facing a 17 year old keeper tonight.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 06:01:05 pm »
4. Oh Mo,

Ball  over the top by Lovren.  Mo is stronger than the defender and his fierce shot  is parried by the keeper.

The resulting corner is headed c,ear but Mané wriggles in the area and nearly scores...

I can’t keep up,
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 06:03:08 pm »
This is nail biting stuff.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 06:03:31 pm »

Fuxking hell.

Minamino back heels of into the area and then there’s a shot which Alisson saves.  We just... just get it clear.

And then Mané curls one past the post at the other end.

This is fucking bananas.
W

Offline NYCRedsFan

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 06:05:06 pm »
That Allison save looked initially like a Henderson handball in the box.... replay showed that Allison saved it with Hendo next to him

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 06:05:18 pm »
9 were only 9 minutes in....this pace can’t carry on ....

Surely?

W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 06:07:55 pm »
11 a break in play as Mané is fouled.

Lovely interchange by Robbo and Mane and Robbos cross is blocked in the area....
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2019, 06:10:42 pm »
14 a quiet spell of play...

Genuinely.

Over to NYCRED whilst I have a lie down.
W

Offline NYCRedsFan

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2019, 06:12:04 pm »
16' things have settled down a bit after that frenetic pace in the first 10 minutes...we're seeing more possession as well...

Offline NYCRedsFan

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2019, 06:14:06 pm »
17' Pass and move... Salah to Trent who centers ... but to no avail.

Then Hendo with a nice intercept....  Mane putting on a clinic for keeping the ball and then gets manhandled... foul and free kick

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2019, 06:15:20 pm »
17' Pass and move... Salah to Trent who centers ... but to no avail.

Then Hendo with a nice intercept....  Mane putting on a clinic for keeping the ball and then gets manhandled... foul and free kick
There were at least 3 fouls on Mané there.. no protection from the ref at all.
W

Offline NYCRedsFan

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2019, 06:15:59 pm »
19' RedBull pressing a bit with a cluster of black shirted players surrounding the ball... we get it back and Mane with a run into the left side of the box... stretches the keeper.. rebound to Gini.... save.. then over the goal from Keita...

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2019, 06:17:06 pm »
It’s gone a bit bananas again...
W

Offline NYCRedsFan

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2019, 06:17:12 pm »
21' Salah with a shot... blocked and then back to Salzburg ....dangerous centering pass picked off by Allison...

Offline NYCRedsFan

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2019, 06:19:26 pm »
23' Salzbureg's Wober fakes Trent ,,, gets around him but shot blocked....Salzburg have it back in their own end...the Salah gets it back to Mane', but it gets lost in his boots.  could have been a good chance there...

Offline NYCRedsFan

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2019, 06:20:14 pm »
25' Lovren step for step with Haaland on the Salzburg left... forces him a bit wide on the shot and save Allison

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2019, 06:20:40 pm »
25' Lovren step for step with Haaland on the Salzburg left... forces him a bit wide on the shot and save Allison
Powerful shot that... He did well to smother it.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2019, 06:21:05 pm »
It's a bit worrying that at times they fly through our midfield.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2019, 06:21:42 pm »
Napoli 2-0 Genk
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 06:23:23 pm by T₂Ohcumallyefacefull »
W

Offline NYCRedsFan

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2019, 06:22:15 pm »
26' Liverpool looking to settle things down a bit again.... shorter passes to keep the ball in our own end.   

We get over the half line... then back... finally a long ball to the Salzberg keeper (ugh)

Offline NYCRedsFan

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2019, 06:23:10 pm »
27' to be fair, RedBull looking more the promising side when they have the ball over the last 7 minutes or so.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2019, 06:24:12 pm »
NOOOOOOOOOO!
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2019, 06:24:43 pm »
We are having one of those days in front of goal.

Offline NYCRedsFan

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2019, 06:25:19 pm »
29' VVD intercepts but a give and go didn't work because VVD didn't go... Salzburg right back and Robbo with a sliding tackle in the box saves the day...

Then RIGHT back.. Mane to Salah for a certain goal,  .... Mo shoots it wide !!!!!  He'll regret missing that chance...

Offline NYCRedsFan

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2019, 06:25:42 pm »
Over to Jill

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2019, 06:26:52 pm »
30 Despite the miss we are making chances, so hopefully one of them will go in soon. Saltzburg having a bit of a break at the moment.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2019, 06:28:19 pm »
32 We get a promising free kick after Salah is fouled.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2019, 06:28:50 pm »
He’s been manhandled every time he’s been near the ball.

The ref finally gives something.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2019, 06:29:52 pm »
33 Salah has put it over the bar, goal kick to Saltzburg.

Offline NYCRedsFan

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2019, 06:30:05 pm »
He’s been manhandled every time he’s been near the ball.

The ref finally gives something.

True, but Mo need to change his shooting boots.. the ones he's wearing just aren't working