Author Topic: League - Liverpool V Tottenham 27th Oct - Anfield  (Read 30320 times)

Offline TheMightyReds

• Full of B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T ;)
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
League - Liverpool V Tottenham 27th Oct - Anfield
« on: October 24, 2019, 12:18:14 pm »
Liverpool V Tottenham Hotspur
Oct 27th 4.30pm at Anfield
Referee: Anthony Taylor

Liverpool against Tottenham conjures up some famous memories. Not least the absolute magnificence of the 7-0 wins back in 1978 (Terry McDermott with a world class goal), when Tottenham had two world cup winners in their side. Lest we forget Tottenham had a decent side in the 80’s.

Over the years the rivalry has simmered and now intensified. Tottenham over the last 5-6 years have been strong and a good rival. Battles for 4th place where common place. Liverpool had dropped back from their dynasty of excellence and were now consistently only in the top 6, with no league title in sight.

Most recently and fresh from June 2019 are the wonderful memories of Madrid in the European Cup Final where both teams met. Liverpool themselves had a stellar campaign registering 97pts in the league and were hugely unlucky to come in 2nd. However they wouldn’t be denied silverware and a 6th European Cup against Tottenham. The game does show the flip that history has had again. They say football comes around in circles, and as fate would have it Liverpool are now top of the league again, European Champions, Super Cup winners and Tottenham have had their customary poor start and sit about mid table.

We meet again now since that joyous and balmy night in Madrid. The gap to second place is 6 points and Liverpool will look to win to make sure they are back to winning ways after last weeks draw at ManU. Playing well but not hit top gear yet. The ultimate aim is to keep Manchester City as far away as possible from them.
Tottenham are faltering somewhat. Are they in crisis, is the team in civil war with the managers head up for discussion. Some things at Spurs never change. Certainly the quote from Pochettino speaks volumes when he says ‘we are our own toughest opponent at the moment’’.

What of a repeat of 1978. You never know, we are due to give someone a right beating, and this weekend could be Spurs bad luck. How much of the game (from June) will linger in the memory for Spurs and the after effects of that may also play a part.

Spurs are a dangerous team if on form. No doubt about that. Top quality players throughout the team. They are typically strong through the middle and have one of the top goal scoring midfielders in Son in their ranks. They have a top manager who has done well at Spurs without spending a pretty penny. He has trimmed the garden, planted some sunflowers and has watched his team bloom. The Reds need to be wary of the fast Spurs counter attack. If Lucas Moura plays he will add that threat on the break. Kane also does typically threaten and will need to be marshalled well by either Matip or VVD. It will be interesting to see who Klopp picks in midfield. My guess is Oxdale Chamberlain has played his way in to the team for now.

Liverpool cannot be careless, they must start fast, show anger and rectify last weeks result. The crowd will of course be important to encourage and cheer the team to show no mercy. Spurs will be missing Lloris, and Rose has been on poor form recently. These seem the obvious areas to focus on for us. If Salah is fully fit, you can see both TAA and Salah giving him a hard time this Sunday.

Who can forget some of the goals this fixture has provided, most recently Salah’s mazy dribble and finish and Origi’s sweet daisy cutter. Reds could do with some of them this Sunday.

Last 5 meetings
22 Oct 2017   Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool   L   4-1   Premier League
04 Feb 2018   Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur   D   2-2   Premier League
15 Sep 2018   Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool   W   1-2   Premier League
31 Mar 2019   Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur   W   2-1   Premier League
01 Jun 2019   Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool   W   0-2   UEFA Champions League

Form Guide
Liverpool

D- Away = 1-1 v Man Utd
W- Home = 2-1 v Leicester
W-Away = 1-0 v Sheffield Utd
W- Away = 2-1 v Chelsea
W- Home = 3-1 v Newcastle

Spurs
D - Home = 1-1 v Watford
L -  Away= 0-3 v Brighton
W- Home= 2-1 v Southampton
L- Away= 1-2 v Leicester
W- Home = 4-0 v Crystal Palace

Key players: Liverpool: Salah, Mane and TAA
Key players: Spurs: Kane, Son and Eriksson
Both Kane and Mane have 5 goals each in the league. Firmino with 3 assists so far.

Note: Both teams had a great win midweek in the Champions League. Robertson took at slight knock but should be fit to play. Matip should also return.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:25:28 pm by TheMightyReds »

Offline Yesitsanextender

• Colonel Mustard in the en-suite bathroom with a lead pipe.
  • Anny Roader
  • i love klopp, kloppy klopp klopp, down in my belly
Re: League - Liverpool V Tottenham 27th Oct - Anfield
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 12:28:53 pm »
hate these pricks! they need a good stuffing. put ox in behind the front three with gini and keita to start.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 12:32:18 pm »
Wasn't the 7-0 in '78-9?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 12:33:36 pm »
These usually play quite well at Anfield, if not always getting a result.

They've been poor lately but they do have some really dangerous attackers in Kane and Son in particular.

We're almost unbeatable at home but we have looked a bit dodgy in defence and don't keep many clean sheets these days. I'm going with a 2-1 win.

Mane and Firmino to score, Kane for them.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 01:24:13 pm »
Tired of playing this lot. All of the games recently have been tight [in the league], and so I expect nothing different this Sunday, probably will be up for it more than usual because of #6, so I expect them to be better than they have so far.

The midfield will be interesting. I can see Klopp going with the same 3 from last Sunday, as Spurs won't park the bus ala the Mancs, but I can also see Keita being played from the start. He only played 10 minutes or so last Sunday and a full 90 last night, so it wouldn't be too much to ask for him to play again.

Have to keep pressure on City, any win will do.

Offline andyw79

• Kopite
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 01:34:23 pm »
Ah ffs, antony useless manc bastard taylor

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 01:55:05 pm »
Wasn't the 7-0 in '78-9?
Yep I think the 82 game was when we won the league with a 3-1 win, wasn’t it Clemence first return?
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 01:57:02 pm »
Decent enough team despite how 'shite' they are, capable of beating us so best + fittest team possible please

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 02:06:09 pm »
Think we'll win this 3-1
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 02:08:13 pm »
Tired of playing this lot. All of the games recently have been tight [in the league], and so I expect nothing different this Sunday, probably will be up for it more than usual because of #6, so I expect them to be better than they have so far.

The midfield will be interesting. I can see Klopp going with the same 3 from last Sunday, as Spurs won't park the bus ala the Mancs, but I can also see Keita being played from the start. He only played 10 minutes or so last Sunday and a full 90 last night, so it wouldn't be too much to ask for him to play again.

Have to keep pressure on City, any win will do.

They've arguably given us the toughest game at Anfield of any team over the last 2 years. It'll be a test this, despite their poor league form. What's tended to happen in the previous couple of Anfield encounters is the game has really ebbed and flowed - we've been on top for large periods, then they have, then we have etc. etc. It's so important we take our chances when we're on top, particularly given the nagging doubts their players will have. If we were to go 2-0 up say, I think they mentally pack it up for the day, but as long as they're in with a sniff, we'll have a real game on our hands.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 02:09:07 pm »
They've been shite this season so they're bound to raise their game against us.

There'll be some penalty controversy after one of them goes down in the box IMO and the media will be making the entire thing about 'revenge' for the CL Final.

Fuck it, bring them on, let them attack us and give us space to attack.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 02:14:38 pm »
Mane and Robertson (if fit) will have a field day against whoever plays right back for them. Aurier is a walking red card and Sissoko isn't a right back.

Offline Legoland

• Plazzie Brick Lid :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 02:15:56 pm »
I fully expect them to show up since  theyve been so shite so far

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 02:19:42 pm »
They've arguably given us the toughest game at Anfield of any team over the last 2 years. It'll be a test this, despite their poor league form. What's tended to happen in the previous couple of Anfield encounters is the game has really ebbed and flowed - we've been on top for large periods, then they have, then we have etc. etc. It's so important we take our chances when we're on top, particularly given the nagging doubts their players will have. If we were to go 2-0 up say, I think they mentally pack it up for the day, but as long as they're in with a sniff, we'll have a real game on our hands.

Agreed. Last season, we were the better side in the first half, and didn't take our chances so the 1-0 obviously gave them a chance to get back into the game which they did. Hopefully we are more clinical this time around

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 02:20:01 pm »
Ah ffs, antony useless manc bastard taylor

Better than Martin Manc Bastard Atkinson 

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2019, 02:22:22 pm »
I miss the days when they were our whipping boys - 0-5, 4-0 and 0-3 in consecutive fixtures in 2013 and 2014. Their defence is looking shaky again these days too, they're dangerous but if our shooting boots are on it could end up being a decent score.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2019, 02:24:09 pm »
Agreed. Last season, we were the better side in the first half, and didn't take our chances so the 1-0 obviously gave them a chance to get back into the game which they did. Hopefully we are more clinical this time around

They were one Sissoko skying it/VVD bossing him so he skied it away from winning too. It sounds so straightforward just 'taking your chances' but in the 2-2 the year before the game was similar with us on top at 1-0 but them coming right back in it and pinning us back [though both their penalties were fucking shameful].
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2019, 02:25:23 pm »
I think we will be to strong for them going for a 2.0 Home win. would love to see Elliott come of the bench to be on the same park as Kane.

I reckon we will see Hendo back in with Fabino and Naby .

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2019, 02:59:19 pm »

Agree with this about the way games have ebbed and flowed.

They're going to start strong and will be a lot better than their performances so far have shown. But if we start well, and capitalise on our chances, I can imagine emotions getting the better of them and see the games go similarly to their other poor performances early this season.

If there's any chance our medical are cool with it, I'd give Naby the first hour. He was instrumental when we carved out loads of chances against them away last season

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2019, 03:52:19 pm »
It will be tough despite their form, but we need to win. We need to be clinical.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2019, 04:05:42 pm »
Everybody wants to beat the European Champions. No team more than the runners up. Son is their best player by far and if we can keep him quiet we should claim three points. Will be a good game I'm sure.

I think it will be a close call between Gini & Keita but Gini will get the nod.

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2019, 04:17:37 pm »

Liverpool against Tottenham conjures up some famous memories. Not least the absolute magnificence of the 7-0 win back in 1978 (Terry McDermott with a world class goal), when Tottenham had two world cup winners in their side.

That goal by Terry Mac is the best goal I have ever seen....  Ever.......  And I feel privileged to have seen it.

They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2019, 04:21:10 pm »
They'll be buoyed by their result in Europe and desperate for revenge for the CL final.

They'll raise their game and perform emotionally, so that will probably limit us to a two goal victory

Keita's being managed so will come off the bench mid second half and will pick them to pieces
first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2019, 04:44:05 pm »
They should be up for it because of CL loss but still think their recent results show a lack of confidence throughout the team. Score early and get on top and they could fall apart. They have looked shite this season but then they go and have a good result in the week.

Something is clearly not right there and maybe if we can get at them early enough they might spurs it. If they win though they will have turned a corner and if they lose pressure is really on them as they could be bottom half of the table. A bit make or break for them really.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2019, 05:59:13 pm »
Thanks for the OP.

They’ve just a had a really good result after looking really poor for a while. If we make a fast start here and grab a goal or two they could fall apart, but if we let them get into the game then no doubt it’ll be another close game.

Be interesting to see what line up we go with, I really have no idea but it would be good to see Keita if he’s able to play from the start after last night. He’s able to create with piercing forward balls so if things aren’t working as well down the flanks we have others ways to break teams down.

Looking forward to this.

Online mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2019, 06:24:10 pm »
Will be a tricky game for us. We haven't really been hitting our top form as yet but have been getting results which is the main thing. It hasn't been helped by a bit of shuffling around that has been going on due to some injuries etc. Looks like we could be without Matip or Trent again. Son and Kane are their big threats and I think it will be a well contested game. They will want payback after the CL of course. They haven't been playing well of late and have sometimes shipped some loose goals.

depending on fitness and availability I'm picking :
Ali, Gomez, Lovren, VVD, Robbo, Fab, Gini, Ox, Mane, Firmino, Salah
subs: Adrian, Milner, Sepp, Hendo, Lallana, Naby, Origi

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2019, 06:25:05 pm »
I think Oxlade has earned a start - 2 great goals last night and nearly got the winner vs United as well. He's our only attacking mid who can nick one from outside the area and I'm sure he'll be up for it vs his old enemy.

I'd like to see Hendo Fabinho and Ox start in midfield. Usual front 3 and assuming Trent and Robbo are fit, usual back 4.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline jamie_c

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2019, 06:57:08 pm »
Agree with this about the way games have ebbed and flowed.

They're going to start strong and will be a lot better than their performances so far have shown. But if we start well, and capitalise on our chances, I can imagine emotions getting the better of them and see the games go similarly to their other poor performances early this season.

If there's any chance our medical are cool with it, I'd give Naby the first hour. He was instrumental when we carved out loads of chances against them away last season

I totally disagree, i think we’ll start strong but the thing about spurs is they are never out of a game no matter how badly they are playing, they have faith in their firepower no matter what’s going on

They have done it before at Anfield and that’s how they got the results against city as well.

We’ll deserve to win but as others have said it will depend on how clinical we are, they can score at any point.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2019, 07:27:58 pm »
They're the only team at Anfield that we haven't been able to consistently beat the press the last couple of seasons. I've got a feeling that'll change this weekend, but not sure whether that'll be down to Ox or Naby being in the team, them sitting a bit deeper following some poor recent results, or them being shite.

They gave Bayern a lot of problems with their pressing in the first 30mins the other week, but Bayern kept their composure and were eventually able to play through it, and once they did, they played through it at will. We need to show the same patience and composure, and keep probing for openings.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2019, 08:21:16 pm »
Early call, we are getting absolutely shafted by Taylor and his gang.
I am still pissed off at that game at Anfield when Moss pulled a point for them out of his ass.
So let us demolish them please.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2019, 10:18:51 pm »
4:30pm again on a Sunday is shite.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2019, 10:32:27 pm »
That goal by Terry Mac is the best goal I have ever seen....  Ever.......  And I feel privileged to have seen it.

You are not wrong. Digger's against QPR, Torres' against Blackburn, Molby's against the Mancs, too many Suarez's to mention but THAT goal by Terry Mac was incredible, best build up ever.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2019, 10:35:04 pm »
You are not wrong. Digger's against QPR, Torres' against Blackburn, Molby's against the Mancs, too many Suarez's to mention but THAT goal by Terry Mac was incredible, best build up ever.

Not only was Terry Mac's a great goal but as you intimate above it was a wonderful team goal.

Offline davealexred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2019, 11:08:49 pm »
This game will be won and lost in midfield.

We will easily overpower Winks and Ndombele if we’re bang on it. Can’t wait.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2019, 11:50:31 pm »
Wasn't the 7-0 in '78-9?
This one. Could have been double the score. Would settle for a performance like this Sunday.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NzKcNevWbO4

McDermott does have good form against Spurs this one wasn’t bad either

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CRMJT187wxs

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2019, 02:27:56 am »
Wasn't the 7-0 in '78-9?

Yeah

Terry McD scored a glorious team goal. 

Time to refocus on the Premier League. Another 3 points to keep the train chugging along.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2019, 02:36:25 am »
Tough game as they’ll be well up for this. Echo the thoughts that an early goal could see us pummel them - a not so quick start and it’ll be a tight one.

Offline A Dick

• Main Stander
  • How come Cafu is wearing Flanno's shirt?
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2019, 08:29:33 am »
No messing about. Usual starting XI if everyone is fit.

Alisson, TAA Matip,VVD, Robbo, Fabinho, Hendo, Gini, Salah, Bobby, Mane

No need to change the XI which lost one league game all last season and won the champions league just because of one iffy game at Old Trafford (after an international break where we still has 70% possession and more shots)

YNWA

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2019, 09:13:10 am »
Its gonna be a very tight game, they have the quality to really hurt us, but if we play to our strength then we will win.

Hopefully the occasion will help us and we will be more focused and switched on compared to the last few games.

Offline Yesitsanextender

• Colonel Mustard in the en-suite bathroom with a lead pipe.
  • Anny Roader
  • i love klopp, kloppy klopp klopp, down in my belly
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2019, 09:45:46 am »
        alisson

taa  vvd  matip   rob

ox   fabinho   gini

bobbi

mane   salah