Author Topic: 9/11 - Never Forget  (Read 451 times)

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
9/11 - Never Forget
« on: September 11, 2019, 07:07:44 PM »
It's now been 18 years. Hard to believe.

RIP to those who died that day at multiple locations, and to the brave souls who helped afterward and have since died from the toxins they encountered. :'(

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: 9/11 - Never Forget
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 07:21:53 PM »
My youngest (10) was asking me what was going on on the telly this morning, it was a minute's silence for 9/11. He knew a bit about it, but as I was talking to him it just struck me how much that day changed the world. One day, just a couple of hours really, and everything changed.

RIP

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Believer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 02:01:07 AM »
I was 11 at the time, living in a different country and in a different time zone and only remember being pissed that my dad was all over the news that he didn't make me watch our game in the CL that day.

But I found this article really interesting about how the world in 2001 despite being only 18 years old, was so different back then that if, God Forbid a similar attack happens, how different the reaction, coverage and spread of information will be. We'll be getting the news in real time and how we'll be getting live feeds from inside the towers or even from the hijacked planes.

https://www.wired.com/story/pagers-pay-phones-and-dialup-how-we-communicated-on-911/
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Brissyred

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 03:46:50 AM »
Things that happened post 9/11
https://twitter.com/unabanned/status/1171794187609657345
For example
Clear Channel memorandum
 Following the September 11 attacks in 2001, Clear Channel Communications (now iHeartMedia), the largest owner of radio stations in the United States, circulated an internal memo containing a list of songs that program directors felt were "lyrically questionable" to play in the aftermath of the attack.[1]

During the time immediately after the attacks, many television and radio stations altered normal programming in response to the events, and the rumor spread that Clear Channel and its subsidiaries had established a list of songs with lyrics Clear Channel deemed "questionable." The list was not a compulsory demand not to play the songs listed, but rather a suggestion that they "might not want to play these songs." The list was made public by the independent radio industry newsletter Hits Daily Double, which is not affiliated with iHeartMedia.[2] Snopes.com did research on the subject and concluded that the list did exist as a suggestion for radio stations but noted that it was not an outright ban on the songs in question.[3] The compiled list was the subject of media attention around the time of its release.[3]

The list contains 165 suggestions, including a single suggestion for all songs by Rage Against the Machine as well as certain songs recorded by multiple artists (for example "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" by Guns N' Roses and the original version by Bob Dylan).[4] In some cases, only certain versions of songs were included on the list. For example, the cover of "Smooth Criminal" by Alien Ant Farm is on the list while the original Michael Jackson recording is not. Similarly, J. Frank Wilson's version of "Last Kiss" is included, but Pearl Jam's cover is not. Also, Martha and the Vandellas's original version of "Dancing in the Street" and Van Halen's version are included; David Bowie and Mick Jagger's recording was excluded from the list. Also, the song "Leaving on a Jet Plane" by Peter, Paul, and Mary is included, but the version by the song's composer John Denver is not. AC/DC has the most individual songs listed, with seven, although Rage Against the Machine have their entire catalogue of songs listed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Channel_memorandum

Offline Sons of pioneerS

• are hungry men.
  • Believer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 04:49:44 PM »
I remember the day so well. There were initial reports of a light aircraft hitting the WTC on television. That sounded bad enough, but as more news filtered through it escalated so quickly into one of the most horrific things I've ever seen. Even today, the sheer scale of it all is quite difficult to comprehend fully. To be honest, at the time I thought it could kick of a third world war depending on who was behind it. It wasn't long (same day) before speculation saw the name Bin Laden mentioned. I'd never heard of him, but we heard a lot about him from then onwards.

RIP all those lost in this horrific tragedy and its aftermath, and my heart goes out to all those still suffering to this day due to injury, loss and/or trauma.  :'(
We've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe...
Rome. London. Paris. Rome. Istanbul. Madrid.

COUPE DES CLUBS CHAMPIONS EUROPÉENS VAINQUERS SIX FOIS.

Online WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker.
  • Believer
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 06:18:32 PM »
It's a shame that the current POTUS cannot remember the day as vividly as most people.I was finishing up a 4w stint working in St.Ives when I got the phone call,we packed up early and headed straight for home.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 06:58:29 PM »
Remember it like yesterday.

I was driving over to see Paul (lancs to yorks) when he text me that something had happened. 

I arrived at his mates flat about 3ish, put the tv on and spent the next hour relaying by text everything to him as it happened.

When that 2nd plane hit the towers was unbelievable.  Up until then most  were thinking/saying the 1st was a tragic accident not hijacking or terrorists.

Everything changed that day and the world still hasn't reconciled itself.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 08:34:53 PM »
I put this picture up last year, was a hard day for his family, friends and bandmates yesterday. Friend of a friend, FDNY firefighter and drummer for the band Internal Bleeding, William Tolley, who was one of many working on 9/11 only to die when he fell 5 storeys on a shout in Queens in April 2017