Author Topic: Skybet Championship Thread  (Read 196780 times)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: Skybet Championship Thread
« Reply #2880 on: August 6, 2023, 07:01:54 pm »
Ipswich was the favorited coming into this game irc. They dominated League one

They didn't win it tbf. They were excellent as the season went on though and well fancied to be up there this season.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2881 on: August 6, 2023, 07:04:45 pm »
They didn't win it tbf. They were excellent as the season went on though and well fancied to be up there this season.
Yea that fair but stat wise they best team in league one it seems. Like plus 66 goal difference is crazy with 101 goals.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #2882 on: August 6, 2023, 07:06:47 pm »
Yea that fair but stat wise they best team in league one it seems. Like plus 66 goal difference is crazy with 101 goals.
Can see them scoring a lot but also conceding a fair amount this season. They’ve ultimately been a little lucky here
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2883 on: August 6, 2023, 07:11:01 pm »
Can see them scoring a lot but also conceding a fair amount this season. They’ve ultimately been a little lucky here
More goals generally means more points but cant be too bad defensively. Middlesboro attack was good enough for straight promotion, defense got into into the playoff and didn't go up then.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #2884 on: August 19, 2023, 05:11:36 pm »
I know its not the championship, but Wrexham in a crazy match vs Swindon, Wrexham losing 5-3 in the 90th minute finishes 5-5 with Wrexham pen in the 96th minute :o
#Sausages

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2885 on: August 19, 2023, 06:49:32 pm »
Job Bellingham scored twice for Sunderland today. BUY HIM NOW.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2886 on: August 19, 2023, 10:56:45 pm »
I know its not the championship, but Wrexham in a crazy match vs Swindon, Wrexham losing 5-3 in the 90th minute finishes 5-5 with Wrexham pen in the 96th minute :o

The penalty was the second Wrexham goal, the equaliser came from a bit of pin ball in the box after a free kick.

They’ve had a mad start to life back in the football league. Lost 5-3 in the opening game, then drew 1-1, then won 4-2 last weekend followed up with that 5-5 today! And they’re scoring all these goals without Mullin atm, imagine the score lines when he is back.

Watched the Southampton game before, pretty much the same squad of players. This is definitely their level.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #2887 on: August 20, 2023, 09:41:19 am »
A team I follow and largely my family’s team, Crewe Alex, are undefeated with 3 draws and a win this season. They’ve conceded 2 in every game, and in all of the 3 draws, they’ve come back from 2-0 down to win a point.

Bizarre start to the season.

Just watched the Wrexham highlights, comics defending for most of the goals. Mullin coming back is not going to fix that problem. I’ve been saying for a while it won’t be Parkinson that takes them to League One. He’s been given the budget and chance to assemble a League One defence in the non-league but hasn’t structurally been able to put together a team that can actually defend. They conceded a lot against a much lower standard of opposition last season but blew them away going forward. The attack clearly still works but they will leak record goals if he keeps trying to put 5 forwards on the pitch with wing backs too.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 09:45:52 am by Drinks Sangria »
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2888 on: August 20, 2023, 06:37:44 pm »
A team I follow and largely my family’s team, Crewe Alex, are undefeated with 3 draws and a win this season. They’ve conceded 2 in every game, and in all of the 3 draws, they’ve come back from 2-0 down to win a point.

Bizarre start to the season.

Just watched the Wrexham highlights, comics defending for most of the goals. Mullin coming back is not going to fix that problem. I’ve been saying for a while it won’t be Parkinson that takes them to League One. He’s been given the budget and chance to assemble a League One defence in the non-league but hasn’t structurally been able to put together a team that can actually defend. They conceded a lot against a much lower standard of opposition last season but blew them away going forward. The attack clearly still works but they will leak record goals if he keeps trying to put 5 forwards on the pitch with wing backs too.
Agreed re Parkinson. He isn't capable of meeting Wrexham's ambitions.

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2889 on: September 2, 2023, 05:00:13 pm »
Sunderland beat Southampton 5-0. Bazunu and Holgate, illustrious alumni of Man City and Everton respectively, with absolute disasterclasses at the back.

Will be interesting to see how many of Man City's production line of vaunted youth products like Bazunu, Palmer, Trafford, etc. live up to the fees/promise, as currently Foden is the only one I can think of who's actually made it.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2890 on: September 2, 2023, 05:00:53 pm »
Great to see Plymouth win 3-0 against Blackburn. When I was living down there, they nearly got relegated to non-league.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #2891 on: September 2, 2023, 05:04:19 pm »
Remember when Michael Carrick was the next great, young English manager? Good times.
AHA!

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2892 on: September 2, 2023, 05:25:29 pm »
Sunderland beat Southampton 5-0. Bazunu and Holgate, illustrious alumni of Man City and Everton respectively, with absolute disasterclasses at the back.

Bazunu is fucking awful. After overpaying for Angus Gunn they should have stayed away from signing inexperienced keepers from Man City, but given the current recruitment regime are Man City academy alumni, it's not surprising. I genuinely wonder if Southampton had say loaned Kelleher last season, rather than Bazunu, if they would have stayed up. 

Will be interesting to see how many of Man City's production line of vaunted youth products like Bazunu, Palmer, Trafford, etc. live up to the fees/promise, as currently Foden is the only one I can think of who's actually made it.

Douglas Luiz is one. Frimpong at Leverkusen has had a decent start to his career. Some will point to Lavia, but who knows. A lot of them seem to go for ridiculous fees, but end up being rather average.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2893 on: September 2, 2023, 05:25:33 pm »
Great to see Plymouth win 3-0 against Blackburn. When I was living down there, they nearly got relegated to non-league.

Preston/Plymouth should be a good clash next game. Two scouse managers, Ryan Lowe at Preston who took Plymouth up to League 1 before leaving, then replaced by Steven Schumacher who got them up to the Championship and promises to keep them there.

Preston are top after today too. They always seem to miss out on a play-off spot, early days but this has to be the season where it's actually fancied near the beginning of the season.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #2894 on: September 2, 2023, 07:30:14 pm »
Remember when Michael Carrick was the next great, young English manager? Good times.
His lookalike is doing the business with Ipswich. Come back from 2-0 down to win today
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #2895 on: September 12, 2023, 03:39:26 pm »
Not Championship related, but I couldn't find a thread for non-league footy ...

However, this is a fucking scandalous decision.

Scunthorpe United v Buxton to be replayed after 96th-minute abandonment

96th fucking minute!!! There was only 4 minutes left of additional time! Buxton, down to 10, were 2-1 up as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66778293
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 03:41:15 pm by Kalito »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #2896 on: September 12, 2023, 03:41:54 pm »
Not Championship related, but I couldn't find a thread for non-league footy ...

However, this is a fucking scandalous decision.

Scunthorpe United v Buxton to be replayed after 96th-minute abandonment

96th fucking minute!!! There was only 4 minutes left of additional time!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66778293

I thought there was a rule where the result stood after the 75th minute or something like that? I assume non-league is different then?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #2897 on: September 15, 2023, 08:59:13 pm »
Leicester lead Southampton 3-1 at half time, had to take a look at what keague they're in,  as thought this was a premier league match. ;D
#Sausages

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #2898 on: September 15, 2023, 10:03:09 pm »
Leicester lead Southampton 3-1 at half time, had to take a look at what keague they're in,  as thought this was a premier league match. ;D

Leicester certainly have Saints' number playing at St Mary's.  ;D

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2899 on: September 17, 2023, 03:15:24 am »
Third game this season Southampton have conceded four or more

Online Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2900 on: September 17, 2023, 04:02:28 am »
Preston top of the championship….not sure if they can keep it going but certainly an impressive start

Online Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2901 on: September 17, 2023, 10:20:08 am »
Just reading about Preston's manager Ryan Lowe. Could be one to look out for and always good to see a Scouser doing well. Done really good jobs at Bury and Plymouth and this start with Preston is incredible. Long old season the Championship but I'm going to keep an eye out on them. Good luck to him.

Online Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2902 on: September 17, 2023, 10:21:06 am »
Third game this season Southampton have conceded four or more

I was absolutely baffled when they gave Hassenhutl the chop and they've been absolutely garbage ever since.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2903 on: September 17, 2023, 10:26:49 am »
Preston just signed our old player Liam Millar on loan, think he scored yesterday.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2904 on: September 17, 2023, 11:44:55 am »
I was absolutely baffled when they gave Hassenhutl the chop and they've been absolutely garbage ever since.

I think there is a real good chance they're in the Championship for more than one season. They've hardly signed anyone and Bazunu is an awful keeper.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2905 on: September 17, 2023, 11:49:23 am »
Good luck policing Millwall vs Leeds.

Also, having Cardiff vs Swansea on a Saturday night was bonkers.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2906 on: September 17, 2023, 01:35:40 pm »
Just reading about Preston's manager Ryan Lowe. Could be one to look out for and always good to see a Scouser doing well. Done really good jobs at Bury and Plymouth and this start with Preston is incredible. Long old season the Championship but I'm going to keep an eye out on them. Good luck to him.

Yeah he's doing a good job to have them top, even early doors. He took Plymouth up to league one then left where his replacement, also a scouser, won them league one to take them up to the Championship where they've had a respectable start.

Big season for Preston, they're usually in and around the playoff spaces over the past few years but then fall away a bit, this season I think they'll be after a spot in there at minimum considering they have a good manager in Lowe and some decent players. They're really tight at the back, never concede in droves or anything. Liam Miller scored a nice goal yesterday on his debut, interesting to see how he can do in the Championship.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2907 on: September 17, 2023, 01:41:49 pm »
Lol, Dan James just had one of worst assists i've ever seen for Leeds.

Then the same jammy sod has luck with a deflection for another assist.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 01:44:17 pm by Crouch Potato »

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2908 on: September 18, 2023, 11:28:21 am »
Was at the Blackburn game yesterday. Went to my mate's, watched the Liverpool game, then a 10 minute walk to the ground.

They play some fantastic football. Was really impressed with Callum Brittain and Szmodics.

Wharton wasn't too impressive - but heard a lot of good about him.

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #2909 on: September 19, 2023, 09:52:50 pm »
Preston stay top after another win. Hope they go up for a few reasons (two scouse Ryan’s!)

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2910 on: September 19, 2023, 09:57:58 pm »
Visiting Portman Road on Saturday. Ipswich doing really well as it stands

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #2911 on: October 4, 2023, 08:32:00 pm »
Not quite the Championship…Mark Hughes sacked. Again.
AHA!

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2912 on: October 4, 2023, 08:50:41 pm »
Wednesday sacked Xisco. They should never have sacked Darren Moore. He gave stability and purpose. Now it's all gone bcos the owner got too cocky.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2913 on: October 9, 2023, 10:58:02 am »
Birmingham 6th in the table and sacking their manager just to get a big name in Wayne Rooney in. Modern day owners summed up.

Offline kop306

• Kopite
« Reply #2914 on: October 9, 2023, 06:37:03 pm »
Birmingham 6th in the table and sacking their manager just to get a big name in Wayne Rooney in. Modern day owners summed up.

it has been on the cards for some time

eustace was linked to the rangers job for a few weeks

Offline kop306

• Kopite
« Reply #2915 on: October 9, 2023, 06:37:30 pm »
Wednesday sacked Xisco. They should never have sacked Darren Moore. He gave stability and purpose. Now it's all gone bcos the owner got too cocky.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2916 on: October 9, 2023, 06:37:43 pm »

Rooney is an absolute myth as a manager. He had a difficult job at Derby given the off field issues but on paper they had good Championship players and ultimately got relegated. If they hadn't had the points deduction they'd have finished only a couple of places above relegation, despite having several good players for the level. He's been a total flop in MLS after leaving Derby, so it's odd that American owners would want him off the back of being a disaster over there.

Just another Lampard or Phil Neville.

Offline kop306

• Kopite
« Reply #2917 on: October 9, 2023, 06:43:48 pm »
Rooney is an absolute myth as a manager. He had a difficult job at Derby given the off field issues but on paper they had good Championship players and ultimately got relegated. If they hadn't had the points deduction they'd have finished only a couple of places above relegation, despite having several good players for the level. He's been a total flop in MLS after leaving Derby, so it's odd that American owners would want him off the back of being a disaster over there.

Just another Lampard or Phil Neville.

buy 2 or 3 decent players in the championship and you are in with a chance
first player blues need is a top class striker

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2918 on: October 24, 2023, 03:55:29 pm »
Leicester, Leeds and Southampton are currently 1st, 3rd and 5th in the Championship.  The wheels have fallen off Preston's bus so it's likely to be 1st, 3rd and 4th imminently.  It looks like being on overachievers Ipswich to stop the three relegated sides making up the top three.

Sheffield Utd, Burnley and Luton are 20th, 18th and 17th in the Premier League.  Only Bournemouth stopping the three promoted clubs making up the bottom three.

It's early days but has it ever happened before that in the following season the promoted sides were all relegated and the relegated sides were all promoted (the randomness of the play-offs will likely scupper this anyway)?

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2919 on: October 24, 2023, 04:52:30 pm »
Leicester, Leeds and Southampton are currently 1st, 3rd and 5th in the Championship.  The wheels have fallen off Preston's bus so it's likely to be 1st, 3rd and 4th imminently.  It looks like being on overachievers Ipswich to stop the three relegated sides making up the top three.

Sheffield Utd, Burnley and Luton are 20th, 18th and 17th in the Premier League.  Only Bournemouth stopping the three promoted clubs making up the bottom three.

It's early days but has it ever happened before that in the following season the promoted sides were all relegated and the relegated sides were all promoted (the randomness of the play-offs will likely scupper this anyway)?

97/98 the 3 promoted sides got relegated and the three relegated sides finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd IIRC. Charlton beat Sunderland in the play off final though.

Leeds and Southampton haven't even started well either.