Author Topic: FACS Liverpool 1-1 Man City. City win 5-4 on penalties.  (Read 63273 times)

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
Re: FACS Liverpool 1-1 Man City. City win 5-4 on penalties.
« Reply #1200 on: August 5, 2019, 11:17:33 am »
Had a bit of a screen problem during the match, every time the camera panned to the spectators there was a massive red tinge to the picture.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1201 on: August 5, 2019, 11:22:17 am »
Had a bit of a screen problem during the match, every time the camera panned to the spectators there was a massive red tinge to the picture.

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1202 on: August 5, 2019, 11:44:28 am »
youre probably right mate. I do feel like I'm missing something when I watch him, I just can't believe that one of their key attacking players can still be so utterly awful when through on goal. You look at the likes of Sane and Silva who he's kept out of the team at different points and technically they both look miles ahead of him.

Miles ahead?

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #1203 on: August 5, 2019, 11:48:21 am »
Sterling is a well better player than Sane. Technically Sane might be better but as all round packages you'd easily have Sterling ahead of him. Tactically he is well better than Sane. Tenacity and will to win he's well better than Sane. Defensively he works so much harder than Sane.
It seems to be really underrated just how immense Sterling's pressing is. A player with his pace and fitness who also has the drive and workrate to harass for every ball is an incredible asset - he'd have been absolutely fucking immense after Klopp, who also wouldn't have given much of a crap about his ability to finish the kind of chances which aren't high percentage anyway, as opposed to his ability to both create and get into positions for the kind of chances that almost inevitably end in a goal. Not to mention that Sterling can do what he does in all three front roles. I mean, it's irrelevant now as he's gone and he's clearly not coming back but I suspect Klopp would donate one of his considerably enormous testicles to medical science in exchange for a player of Sterling's attributes, workrate and versatility.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2019, 11:50:02 am by hesbighesred »
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1204 on: August 5, 2019, 11:54:23 am »
It seems to be really underrated just how immense Sterling's pressing is. A player with his pace and fitness who also has the drive and workrate to harass for every ball is an incredible asset - he'd have been absolutely fucking immense after Klopp, who also wouldn't have given much of a crap about his ability to finish the kind of chances which aren't high percentage anyway, as opposed to his ability to both create and get into positions for the kind of chances that almost inevitably end in a goal. Not to mention that Sterling can do what he does in all three front roles. I mean, it's irrelevant now as he's gone and he's clearly not coming back but I suspect Klopp would donate one of his considerably enormous testicles to medical science in exchange for a player of Sterling's attributes, workrate and versatility.

And, he is ahead of Sane in City's evaluation too. He was amongst their best players, along with Bernardo Silva last season and if City had to lose one of the two, that would be Sane. Now way are they giving up Sterling. He's their most versatile player as well.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #1205 on: August 5, 2019, 12:09:54 pm »
saw nothing of the match apart from highlights....

seemed like we had some decent chances. salah maybe a bit annoyed with himself.

Glad we seemed as good if not better than them by all accounts and sucks to not win but hey.....got plenty chances to put it right over the course of the season
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1206 on: August 5, 2019, 12:34:41 pm »
saw nothing of the match apart from highlights....

seemed like we had some decent chances. salah maybe a bit annoyed with himself.

Glad we seemed as good if not better than them by all accounts and sucks to not win but hey.....got plenty chances to put it right over the course of the season

We pummeled them second half.  It really was a brilliant performance.  Just couldn't get the ball over the line.

We had 9 shots on target, they had 3.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1207 on: August 5, 2019, 01:12:03 pm »
I was nervous before the match based on the lacklustre performances before it. Obviously I would have preferred to win, but as it was it turned out nearly as perfectly as a final game before the league season starts could have. We got better as the game went on, our subs had no detrimental impact on the team and were much better than City second half. I mean even the slight sting of losing the shootout might not be the worst thing in the world motivationally too.

Really feel so much more positive now based on that second half alone and I fear for Norwich on Friday night, I really do.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1208 on: August 5, 2019, 02:47:37 pm »
Sadio has been trolling Gini about his peno yesterday  :'(  ;D

https://twitter.com/sxlang_/status/1158357245144522752?s=20

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1209 on: August 5, 2019, 03:09:58 pm »
Do they though?

The 6 games proceeding this one:

City 5 - 0 Liverpool (L)
Liverpool 4 - 3 City (W)
Liverpool 3 - 0 City (W)
City 1 - 2 Liverpool (W)
Liverpool 0 - 0 City (D)
City 2 - 1 Liverpool (L)

Within those City had a perfectly good goal disallowed and missed a penalty ;D

The goal line incident in our loss last season is frustrating but otherwise there's not really much in it and they don't beat as often.

They had two goal-line incidents, one goal-line clearance and one shot that goes in off the post for them, while we hit the woodwork multiple times in two consecutive games against us, all decisive in terms of results.

They've had the rub of the green in everything in these two games, yet they 'just' managed to get through in both. Even if get half the luck they've had in those two games in the next two games with them & we're back to winning ways against them.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1210 on: August 5, 2019, 03:12:02 pm »
Thought City looked a couple of weeks behind us as far as pre-season fitness goes.  They faded really badly in that second half and I'm surprised Pep didn't make more use of his subs, unless the idea was to give his first team as long a run out as possible to gain more match sharpness heading into the season.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1211 on: August 5, 2019, 04:03:09 pm »
City have only played 4 pre-season games [and the only quality opposition were Wolves] where as we've had 6 or 7, and we've played against quality opponents in comparison to who they've played

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1212 on: August 5, 2019, 04:06:24 pm »
Maybe, but some of our players have just returned, Salah's aim need recalibrating. and as far as I am concerned, Whatever Firmino has been doing between the Copa america and now, may he continue to do it

Offline Kitch83

• Main Stander
« Reply #1213 on: August 5, 2019, 04:52:49 pm »
Just back from the game/long weekend.

I would absolutely HATE to be a fan of any other team, what a fucking special lot we truly are!

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1214 on: August 5, 2019, 06:25:02 pm »
Miles ahead?
Technically, I think so. I think Jookie is right to say that tactically and certainly in terms of work rate Sterling is ahead of them but I watch him and see sloppy touches, an awful shooting technique and practically a missed sitter every game. I think it was the season before last in the league when City travelled to Spurs, he missed about 5 sitters and was getting slaughtered, but eventually scored a couple of tap-ins and he was a hero again. It's a lot easier to rack the goals up when you have a hundred chances per game rolled across the six yard box for you!

I don't know. I'm sure I must be wrong on this because everyone raves about him, I just don't get it. If you offered me Sterling, Silva or Sane i'd take him last.

Also he's a dickhead. Minus points for being a dickhead.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1215 on: August 5, 2019, 06:29:38 pm »
Thought City looked a couple of weeks behind us as far as pre-season fitness goes.  They faded really badly in that second half and I'm surprised Pep didn't make more use of his subs, unless the idea was to give his first team as long a run out as possible to gain more match sharpness heading into the season.

They should, they follow a different training model. They'll hit peak at the mid point of the first half of the season, and maintain until the winter break, then will probably see an upsurge after the break. Guardiola is a proponent of Tactical Peridozation. It's the same as us under Rodgers - clawing through games at the start, then hitting stride from the mid point onwards.

Klopp on the other hand, does it old school - get everyone to peak by the second week of the season (when he can), and then maintain for the rest of the season, using the break as a reset before doing a "mini-preseason" and starting again for the rest of the year. That plan didn't work too well before because of a lack of winter break, and in the first two seasons, because of a lack of a rotation squad. We have the two elements that work in Klopp's favour now.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #1216 on: August 5, 2019, 06:33:13 pm »
Not gonna lie, re-watching Stones and Walker engaging themselves, throwing their bodies around and clearing balls off the line made me well up in admiration for the sheer bloodymindedness of their desire to beat us. But I also wonder: They haven't got that many fans... well compared to us they haven't. What's motivating them? It can't be money. I think they genuinely love Pep and want to fight tooth and nail for him. They're probably also trying to secure their England first team spots, and see Gomez and Trent as direct rivals/threats to that cause.

Just some random ramblings upon reflection on the 'final' yesterday.

In other news, it's so fucking great to have Sadio back.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1217 on: August 5, 2019, 06:41:35 pm »

They should, they follow a different training model. They'll hit peak at the mid point of the first half of the season, and maintain until the winter break, then will probably see an upsurge after the break. Guardiola is a proponent of Tactical Peridozation. It's the same as us under Rodgers - clawing through games at the start, then hitting stride from the mid point onwards.

Klopp on the other hand, does it old school - get everyone to peak by the second week of the season (when he can), and then maintain for the rest of the season, using the break as a reset before doing a "mini-preseason" and starting again for the rest of the year. That plan didn't work too well before because of a lack of winter break, and in the first two seasons, because of a lack of a rotation squad. We have the two elements that work in Klopp's favour now.
That's interesting, PoP, didn't know any of this. So, last year must had been devastating for Guardiola when they had the slump in December, when they were supposed to hit high gears. Too bad we couldn't take advantage...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1218 on: August 5, 2019, 06:48:27 pm »
That's interesting, PoP, didn't know any of this. So, last year must had been devastating for Guardiola when they had the slump in December, when they were supposed to hit high gears. Too bad we couldn't take advantage...

There's a difference between a performance slump and a physical one though. And Tactical Periodization is an "ideal world" model of training. When all the elements are correct, then there's no better way to train a team. Conversely, when time is tight, it is also the best way to train teams. But when even one element is wrong (no rotation to the same standard, packed schedule of games, injuries to key players), then it is prone to being ineffective in performance terms, as it involves keeping key players together for the longest duration, with plenty of training days between games.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1219 on: August 5, 2019, 06:51:05 pm »
Technically, I think so. I think Jookie is right to say that tactically and certainly in terms of work rate Sterling is ahead of them but I watch him and see sloppy touches, an awful shooting technique and practically a missed sitter every game. I think it was the season before last in the league when City travelled to Spurs, he missed about 5 sitters and was getting slaughtered, but eventually scored a couple of tap-ins and he was a hero again. It's a lot easier to rack the goals up when you have a hundred chances per game rolled across the six yard box for you!

I don't know. I'm sure I must be wrong on this because everyone raves about him, I just don't get it. If you offered me Sterling, Silva or Sane i'd take him last.

Also he's a dickhead. Minus points for being a dickhead.

I disagree with everything here except the last point, but I guess agreeing on that is enough  :)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1220 on: August 5, 2019, 06:52:54 pm »
To be fair I’d guess the same sort of thing gets chucked at Mo. But he gets so many opportunities because of his movement/pressing.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1221 on: August 5, 2019, 06:54:49 pm »
I disagree with everything here except the last point, but I guess agreeing on that is enough  :)
that's good enough for me, mate ;D

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1222 on: August 5, 2019, 06:55:53 pm »
Sterling's a very good player. But he has deficiencies that would stop him being truly world class. But he's definitely next level to that. Country Class? Continent Class? Trading Bloc Class? I don't know. All's I know is he can't kick snow off a rope when it comes to power, but he plays on a team that puts goals on a plate for him, and he might not score as much in a different system, because he doesn't really make his own goals.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #1223 on: August 5, 2019, 06:58:36 pm »
Fucking stones acting the hatd man the helmet shouting st bobby when he went down in the box. Between Walker metal mouth ederson, sterling and stones im not sure who to hate the most. Bunch of mercenaries the lot of them
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1224 on: August 5, 2019, 07:35:13 pm »
I agree with POP, Stirling is a good player. But one on one with Alisson and Alisson just goes and picks the ball off him like that without him even getting off a shot.

Stirling is a creator, but I would not trust him to take a penalty,  he lacks that killer-instinct to be a finisher

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1225 on: August 5, 2019, 07:37:42 pm »
I agree with POP, Stirling is a good player. But one on one with Alisson and Alisson just goes and picks the ball off him like that without him even getting off a shot.

Stirling is a creator, but I would not trust him to take a penalty,  he lacks that killer-instinct to be a finisher

I think Sterling's peripheral vision caught a glimpse of VVD bearing down on him and he shit himself.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1226 on: August 5, 2019, 10:00:20 pm »

interesting stuff thanks

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1227 on: August 5, 2019, 10:09:00 pm »

Ray Houghton was a useful player for us.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1228 on: August 5, 2019, 10:17:25 pm »
Ray Houghton was a useful player for us.

Ray Houghton was a prince among men, the dirty little Energizer Bunny whackjob ;D

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1229 on: August 5, 2019, 10:31:13 pm »
Ray Houghton was a prince among men, the dirty little Energizer Bunny whackjob ;D

It may seem like heresy to Liverpool fans, but I think that Sterling, while a player in the mould of Houghton, is a better version of that type. High energy, high intelligence, combines well with others. Wasteful, which was why I thought of Houghton, but like Houghton, he'll score enough if he gets enough chances. Even more versatile than Houghton. Of the players who've left us in the past 10 years, he's the only one I really wish were still here.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1230 on: August 5, 2019, 10:39:44 pm »
Not gonna lie, re-watching Stones and Walker engaging themselves, throwing their bodies around and clearing balls off the line made me well up in admiration for the sheer bloodymindedness of their desire to beat us. But I also wonder: They haven't got that many fans... well compared to us they haven't. What's motivating them? It can't be money. I think they genuinely love Pep and want to fight tooth and nail for him. They're probably also trying to secure their England first team spots, and see Gomez and Trent as direct rivals/threats to that cause.

They know if they don't perform for him they'll be replaced. Stones only started 20 league games last season for example with Kompany there.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1231 on: August 5, 2019, 10:40:55 pm »
It may seem like heresy to Liverpool fans, but I think that Sterling, while a player in the mould of Houghton, is a better version of that type. High energy, high intelligence, combines well with others. Wasteful, which was why I thought of Houghton, but like Houghton, he'll score enough if he gets enough chances. Even more versatile than Houghton. Of the players who've left us in the past 10 years, he's the only one I really wish were still here.

Sounds spot on to me.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1232 on: August 6, 2019, 03:17:52 am »
I think Sterling's peripheral vision caught a glimpse of VVD bearing down on him and he shit himself.

Yeah, I think he was trying to draw Alisson and then slip the ball to the guy arriving on his left. At the last moment, VVD arrived from nowhere to cut the pass off, leaving Sterling with no option but the one-on-one, or as Alisson calls it, "Keeper's ball."

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1233 on: August 6, 2019, 06:02:33 am »
Yeah, I think he was trying to draw Alisson and then slip the ball to the guy arriving on his left. At the last moment, VVD arrived from nowhere to cut the pass off, leaving Sterling with no option but the one-on-one, or as Alisson calls it, "Keeper's ball."

Seemed like he was expecting Walker to overlap on the right, instead of cutting in to the left.
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1234 on: August 6, 2019, 07:03:16 am »

Is the winter break really a factor? As it stands with the current scheduling, we'd not be playing any game between the 9th and the 23rd February (with hopefully no CL/FA Cup game in between). Last season, we did not play a league game between the 10th and the 25th of February, with Bayern home on the 20th.

Offline lfcrule6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1235 on: August 6, 2019, 08:06:43 am »

I think it's also the fact that we're Liverpool. Teams and players just want to beat us no matter who they are. Just look at how many relegation threatened teams up their game against us. Don't get me started on keepers.
★     ★     ★     ★     ★     ★

Offline God's Left Peg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1236 on: August 6, 2019, 08:47:53 am »
Ah shit, there goes my perception that he's a twat.
Fair play to him.

Yeah, I thought that ;D
"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."

Offline God's Left Peg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1237 on: August 6, 2019, 08:53:46 am »
It's strange. I always thought of Manchester as a really left wing city but it seems that most of blue moon are tories from what they were saying about it. It's a good reminder that forums like that aren't necessarily representative of the fanbase as whole.

It says little about their political allegiances, they are just stupid and ignorant.
"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1238 on: August 6, 2019, 11:40:20 am »
I see Henry Winter has wrote a long piece in The Times criticizing the booing. Naturally, the comments section turns into a disgraceful conspiratorial mess about the club and national media not acknowledging Heysel ::)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1239 on: August 6, 2019, 12:15:38 pm »
I see Henry Winter has wrote a long piece in The Times criticizing the booing. Naturally, the comments section turns into a disgraceful conspiratorial mess about the club and national media not acknowledging Heysel ::)

He's a jingoistic twat, who loved Purslow anglicising and whitening the club under the owl faced c*nt. He's a nauseating arse licker.

What a shock he can't empathise with rational dislike of the religion, nationalism, royalism and sectarianism of the national anthem