Author Topic: Books on Liverpool FC  (Read 6149 times)

Online jillc

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Books on Liverpool FC
« on: July 18, 2019, 04:46:59 pm »
There are a number of books out this summer, a few of them regarding the recent season. But I thought it maybe be useful to have a thread for any book which is recommended reading. Feel free to add any comments on the books, or recommend others.

Allez Allez Allez (Inside Story of the Resurgence of LFC Champions of Europe 2019) - Simon Hughes available today

Mentality Monsters - Paul Tomkins available now

The Official Story of Liverpool FC 2018/19 Season - Harry Harris/Alan Beck available now

Jurgen Klopp - Elmer Neveling (updated to include recent CL win) available now

Numero 6 - Anfield Wrap and Josh Sexton available from the 25.07.19

We Conquered All of Europe (Red Odyssey II) - Jeff Goulding available from 16.09.19

Ask a Footballer - Oliver Kay is writing with James Milner and is urging anyone who has any questions to get in touch. Book will be available on 31.10.09.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online jillc

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Believer
Re: Books on Liverpool FC
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 04:55:17 pm »
Simon put an extract out on Jordan Henderson the other day that's included in his new book.

https://www.football365.com/news/allez-allez-allez-the-adonis-that-is-jordan-henderson

Offline roots99

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 06:16:55 pm »
While this is on the front page, can anyone recommend a book that covers 1892 to the 60s well?

Most books cover events from Shankly onwards.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in." - Bill Shankly

Offline duvva

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 06:25:06 pm »
While this is on the front page, can anyone recommend a book that covers 1892 to the 60s well?

Depends what you’re looking for in the book. Liverpool: The Complete Record provides all the stats on games, players etc with a little bit of narrative about each decade.

It’s a brilliant and comprehensive record up until 2013/14 season.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 06:27:26 pm by duvva »
“ When I see the Bill Shankly statue, I look at the sentiment on the base. It says: 'He made the people happy’. Well now the modern Liverpool is making the fans and the city happy. And that makes me so proud." - Gerard Houllier

Offline roots99

• Main Stander
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 06:44:06 pm »
Depends what you’re looking for in the book. Liverpool: The Complete Record provides all the stats on games, players etc with a little bit of narrative about each decade.

It’s a brilliant and comprehensive record up until 2013/14 season.

Was looking for more narrative, more of 'a read', but it looks interesting in its own right. Plus it's cheap enough to get in addition of what I have in mind. Cheers mate, ordered.  :)
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in." - Bill Shankly

Online jillc

• Believer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 06:53:50 pm »

Alan Wilson has written a book called The Team of Macs which is about the very first Liverpool team shortly after the club was formed. It's a good read, though its mainly about that team.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Believer
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 07:14:06 pm »

Ask a Footballer - Oliver Kay is writing with James Milner and is urging anyone who has any questions to get in touch. Book will be available on 31.10.09.

Might be too late for questions at this point ;D ;D ;D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline duvva

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 07:25:04 pm »
Was looking for more narrative, more of 'a read', but it looks interesting in its own right. Plus it's cheap enough to get in addition of what I have in mind. Cheers mate, ordered.  :)
Alan Wilson has written a book called The Team of Macs which is about the very first Liverpool team shortly after the club was formed. It's a good read, though its mainly about that team.
Not heard of that one, will look that up.

I had a couple I loved when I was a kid in the 80s, not kid books but full of history about the club. One was You’ll Never Walk Alone, the Official Illustrated History by Stephen F Kelly, there was one other I can’t remember the name of which was probably better. Both were A4 size. Will keep trying to remember
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 07:31:53 pm by duvva »
“ When I see the Bill Shankly statue, I look at the sentiment on the base. It says: 'He made the people happy’. Well now the modern Liverpool is making the fans and the city happy. And that makes me so proud." - Gerard Houllier

Online jillc

• Believer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 07:53:55 pm »
Might be too late for questions at this point ;D ;D ;D

It was a test to see if anyone would notice.  ;D

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 07:58:25 pm »
Done a job years ago for this lad in Liverpool and he’d wrote this about the championship wining side in the 1940s he also on twitter and does a lot of  writing on boxing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gary-Shaw-Remarkable-Liverpool-Greatest/dp/B00I61SRQ4/ref=nodl_

Offline HARD AS HELL

• Main Stander
  • Hitachi
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 08:46:10 pm »
"Tops Of The  Kops" is a great little book chronicling the evolution of our kit in immense detail and telling our story along the way. Really enjoyable book even if, like me, you haven't really approved of any of our kits since 78/79.

Offline fieldsend

• Kemlynite
new 'Local' book
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 09:31:04 pm »
Hiya all,

Not sure if I'll be flagged up for this, what with it being shameless plugging, but I'd like to draw your attention to my new book (forgive me before I begin, I'm not a frequent RAWKer, as much as I'd like to be). It is called 'Local' and is about the relationship between LFC and the city of Liverpool. I've interviewed former local players, supporters, politicians, academics and historians to tell the unique story of Liverpool, with contributors such as Jimmy Case, Jamie Carragher, David Fairclough, Howard Gayle, Steve McMahon, John Aldridge, Chris Lawler, Rickie Lambert, Peter Moore, George Seophton, Tony Evans, Nicky Allt, Kevin Sampson, Dan Carden, John McDonnell, Jay McKenna, Gareth Roberts and Phil Boersma (sorry, nobody likes a name dropper).

Specifically the book explores the city's history, from the Slum Clearance Act of the 1950s and 60s through to the regeneration of 2005 onwards, and it ends with Madrid, encompassing the events that shaped local identity, such as the uprising of 1981, Heysel, Hillsborough, Thatcherism and Scouse dehumanisation. I don't tell the story, the people involved do, and they define what it means to be a local Red nowadays because of everything that has happened. It's an essential story that needs telling.

This is a grassroots project and I'm marketing it myself, so I apologise if I've posted this in the wrong place. Please find a link below. If you've already got a copy I'd love feedback, so let me know what you think.

All the best! Dan.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Local-club-Liverpools-social-history/dp/1075605334/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=local+fieldsend&qid=1563481494&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Oh, and it's only available on Amazon which I know is morally conflicting for most of us, but if you do happen to buy it, do so via smile.amazon.co.uk and you can donate their money to charity.

Offline CentenaryBoy

• Kopite
  • JFT96
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 02:15:04 am »

Red Men by John Williams covers the entire history of the club up until the early 2010s (I think). I don't know if it's actually any good, as I haven't got round to reading it yet. It's in a pile of books I've got that I've yet to read.

Offline fieldsend

• Kemlynite
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 10:20:27 am »

Yeah, mine. 'Local' covers the city and LFC's history from the mid-18th century up until this summer.

Offline fieldsend

• Kemlynite
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 10:23:23 am »

Allez Allez Allez (Inside Story of the Resurgence of LFC Champions of Europe 2019) - Simon Hughes available today

Mentality Monsters - Paul Tomkins available now

The Official Story of Liverpool FC 2018/19 Season - Harry Harris/Alan Beck available now

Jurgen Klopp - Elmer Neveling (updated to include recent CL win) available now

Numero 6 - Anfield Wrap and Josh Sexton available from the 25.07.19

We Conquered All of Europe (Red Odyssey II) - Jeff Goulding available from 16.09.19

Local - Dan Fieldsend, available now (shameless, I know).

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 12:06:43 am »
Hiya all,

Not sure if I'll be flagged up for this, what with it being shameless plugging, but I'd like to draw your attention to my new book (forgive me before I begin, I'm not a frequent RAWKer, as much as I'd like to be). It is called 'Local' and is about the relationship between LFC and the city of Liverpool. I've interviewed former local players, supporters, politicians, academics and historians to tell the unique story of Liverpool, with contributors such as Jimmy Case, Jamie Carragher, David Fairclough, Howard Gayle, Steve McMahon, John Aldridge, Chris Lawler, Rickie Lambert, Peter Moore, George Seophton, Tony Evans, Nicky Allt, Kevin Sampson, Dan Carden, John McDonnell, Jay McKenna, Gareth Roberts and Phil Boersma (sorry, nobody likes a name dropper).

Specifically the book explores the city's history, from the Slum Clearance Act of the 1950s and 60s through to the regeneration of 2005 onwards, and it ends with Madrid, encompassing the events that shaped local identity, such as the uprising of 1981, Heysel, Hillsborough, Thatcherism and Scouse dehumanisation. I don't tell the story, the people involved do, and they define what it means to be a local Red nowadays because of everything that has happened. It's an essential story that needs telling.

This is a grassroots project and I'm marketing it myself, so I apologise if I've posted this in the wrong place. Please find a link below. If you've already got a copy I'd love feedback, so let me know what you think.

All the best! Dan.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Local-club-Liverpools-social-history/dp/1075605334/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=local+fieldsend&qid=1563481494&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Oh, and it's only available on Amazon which I know is morally conflicting for most of us, but if you do happen to buy it, do so via smile.amazon.co.uk and you can donate their money to charity.

Hi Dan

Just read the opening snippets on the Amazon website and bought it within a heartbeat. Even from those opening snatches it's clear you not only write like an angel but you're clued up to the eyeballs on the subject matter you're tackling, making 'Local@ a must buy for me.

I've also sent you a pm.

:)

Offline roots99

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 09:33:02 am »

Thanks all of you, I'll check them out. Goodluck with Local, Dan. That's quite the list of contributors and loved the sample. Will def pick it up as well.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 01:01:53 pm »
Klopp: Bring the Noise was pretty good as well from Rafa Honigstein.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 02:54:11 pm »
'Geoff Twentyman: Secret Diary of a Liverpool Scout' is one of the better LFC books I have read/ enjoyed.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline fieldsend

• Kemlynite
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 04:22:07 pm »
Thanks all of you, I'll check them out. Goodluck with Local, Dan. That's quite the list of contributors and loved the sample. Will def pick it up as well.

You're a wonderful human, thank you!

Online jillc

• Believer
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2019, 04:30:11 pm »

It's great to see the positive feedback on Amazon already, well done for getting the book done. Best of luck with it.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2019, 06:15:26 pm »
I just bought Allez Allez Allez by Simon Hughes. Plan on reading it on holidays. The whole 'inside story' of the 18/19 season pulled me in. Hoping there is actually some good behind the scenes info in there.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline The 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
Re: new 'Local' book
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 10:39:05 pm »
Hiya all
Dan, what have you done lad... Just retiring this week and set myself the target of doing a book and reading your post just thought no, he's just had my idea off!

Just done the same as Timbo. Had a moment thought won't read it cause don't want be influenced but read the first bit and bought it on the spot. You can write mate. My books going to have to have a different angle. Hope it works out for you and good luck,  it deserves to be successful, great idea, it needed writing.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline RogerTheRed

• Champions of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2019, 08:11:03 am »
As above, just read a bit and it looks great. Bought!
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline fieldsend

• Kemlynite
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2019, 10:40:25 am »
Dan, what have you done lad... Just retiring this week and set myself the target of doing a book and reading your post just thought no, he's just had my idea off!

Just done the same as Timbo. Had a moment thought won't read it cause don't want be influenced but read the first bit and bought it on the spot. You can write mate. My books going to have to have a different angle. Hope it works out for you and good luck,  it deserves to be successful, great idea, it needed writing.

Ah I'm sorry to have scuppered your retirement plans! But there is definitely scope for doing something similar from a first-person perspective however. I was born in 1990 so most of what happened - the moments that sculpted us - came before me. I've had to draw on other people to tell the story, but a biography of sorts is there to be done. Thanks for your message mate and thank you for buying! I'm actually just doing a second edition; it's the same book but with a few grammatical amendments (I rushed to complete the book slightly once I found out about my mum's illness), so if you can maybe cancel the order and buy again in 2 days it'll be an updated second edition? (Not sure if this is possible, if not don't worry - there is nothing really different, just a few dotted i's here and there).

Thanks again,

Dan

Offline S

• pineless
  • Believer
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2019, 02:33:02 pm »
I read Bring The Noise by Rafa Honigstein shortly after the final. Highly recommend it.

Maybe worth sitting tight for now though, apparently there's a newer version on the way that will include the CL final. Kind of wished I'd waited for that!

Offline The 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2019, 02:42:20 pm »
Ah I'm sorry to have scuppered your retirement plans! But there is definitely scope for doing something similar from a first-person perspective however. I was born in 1990 so most of what happened - the moments that sculpted us - came before me. I've had to draw on other people to tell the story, but a biography of sorts is there to be done. Thanks for your message mate and thank you for buying! I'm actually just doing a second edition; it's the same book but with a few grammatical amendments (I rushed to complete the book slightly once I found out about my mum's illness), so if you can maybe cancel the order and buy again in 2 days it'll be an updated second edition? (Not sure if this is possible, if not don't worry - there is nothing really different, just a few dotted i's here and there).

Thanks again,

Dan
No worries mate, you haven't scuppered anything, in fact the opposite, you've given me inspiration to get off my arse and do some writing rather than talking. I'm skiving in work reading it on my phone, as I got it on kindle, and its one of those books you don't want to put down once you've started. I might have had a similar big idea but you've done it justice. Without it turning into an Amazon review I'd reccomend it to anyone, loads on here would love it.

Yes, mine was always going to be first person and hopefully weaving the big picture in with the autobigraphy. If Wayne's on number three and Colleen thrown a few into the mix, got to be some space a few more of us who dont star in soap operas. You. deserve a wider readership really hope things work out for you.

Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Online afc turkish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2019, 02:59:59 pm »
My books going to have to have a different angle.

Abate, Abate, Abate: A RAWK Moderatorial Journey

:D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Believer
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2019, 06:04:52 pm »
Phil Scraton's truth and Faith of our fathers by Alan edge are a good place to start
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Salty Dog

• Sworn enemy of Sugary Cat.....
  • Believer
  • Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold.
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2019, 08:34:36 pm »
Great idea for a thread. This post is more of a way for me to quickly come back to this thread for reference purposes, but I'll use it to also thank everyone who has contributed their recommendations.
We have been wiping our arses on man city all day in our house.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2019, 09:08:01 am »
Phil Scraton's truth and Faith of our fathers by Alan edge are a good place to start

Totally agree

:)

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2019, 10:13:33 am »
Hi Dan, cool to see you lurk here! I read your book on The European Game, thought it was excellent. Will def be picking up a copy of Local. A mate of mine already has it too.
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2019, 10:23:16 am »
Hiya all,

All the best! Dan.

looks and sounds great - defo going on the list.

PS Liverpool in Europe – by Steve Hale and Ivan Ponting  I'd love to see a new version up to Madrid.

Offline Demo

• Main Stander
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2019, 10:32:10 am »
I've just picked up Mentality Monsters (Paul Tomkins) ready for my holiday in a few weeks.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Twitter me bro
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2019, 10:40:06 am »
Hiya all,

All the best! Dan.

This sounds great mate, and actually something I'd been looking for as an OOTer looking-in. Added to my wishlist for the next pay cheque! Good luck with it.
YNWA.

Offline roots99

• Main Stander
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2019, 10:37:18 pm »

Thanks again,

Dan

Let us know when you've finished with that 2nd ed, mate. :)

Good luck to your mum.

Offline kriss

• Believer
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2019, 10:47:08 pm »

"Red Men" by John Williams (2011) is the best book about the club I have ever read because it covers not only the early days of the football club and its rise in the 20th century but also the city's overall sporting history, political history and social history. It was a mesmerising read.

Offline kriss

• Believer
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2019, 10:48:51 pm »
Red Men by John Williams covers the entire history of the club up until the early 2010s (I think). I don't know if it's actually any good, as I haven't got round to reading it yet. It's in a pile of books I've got that I've yet to read.

You'll love it. As soon as you finish one chapter, you'll want to get started on the next one. This book was brilliantly researched and written.

Offline Ale-lujah! Ale-lujah!

• Main Stander
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2019, 05:49:40 pm »
Great idea for a thread. This post is more of a way for me to quickly come back to this thread for reference purposes, but I'll use it to also thank everyone who has contributed their recommendations.

When it comes to LFC books or most other things to be honest I always followed the insight of the RAWK founder Steve Davies (Rushian) who had his finger very much on the pulse of these things

I think Alan Edge's book is easily the most important book written on Liverpool FC for a multitude of reasons (I'd exclude Phil Scraton's book as it concentrates on Hillsborough). From the historical perspective on growing up in Liverpool pre-Shankly, and the blue/red rivalry through the Shankly and Paisley periods touching on seminal events such as Inter Milan in 65, and culminating in a stunning account of the aftermath of Hillsborough and the lonely fight by a few Reds against the lies perpetutated by the media. It even (almost too) accurately predicts the future of footballing culture and the kowtowing to the mighty god of Sky.

It also has to be remembered it was written pre the internet by a fan in his spare time who didn't have the opportunity to hone his writing on endless forums/websites as many do now. I'm sure Mr Edge himself would agree that his writing style improved enormously post the book.

I find many Red books completely anodyne, merely reitterating half spoken truths and perpetuating lazy myths about the club. (Auto)Biographies generally leave me cold. Kevin Sampson's Extra Time is a good book, nothing substantial in it but an enjoyable well written travelogue of an unsuccessful season. Paul T's GPRF is another good addition to the Red genre - it feels like a very modern football book, not afraid of opinions, analysis and slaying a few sacred cows (such as Alan Hansen's woeful analysis of the club in recent years).

I'd also like to wish our new poster/author Dan Fieldsend all the best with his new book'Local'. I'll definitely be buying it. Also good luck with your own venture 92A. It sounds like you've got the bit between your teeth for the task in hand.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2019, 07:39:11 am »
The balague book from 2005 is very good