Author Topic: Advice - partners parents  (Read 28834 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Advice - partners parents
« Reply #200 on: July 13, 2019, 02:26:09 pm »
I think the problem is you can’t expect her to instantly cut all ties and never speak to her family again. The amount of interaction she has needs to be her choice - be it none, a little, or as it was before. If you push her to limit her interaction it will lead to nothing but resentment on her part to you - it needs to be on her terms.

Now if you’re ok with that is another thing, and something you need to come to terms with on your own, however I’m really not sure you can/should be getting angry at her for having some interaction with them.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: July 13, 2019, 02:27:39 pm »
What a ridiculous statement, it’s like you haven’t even bothered to read the thread at all.

I've read the majority of it since he started the thread. He shouldn't be having an argument for her wishing her sister a happy birthday.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: July 13, 2019, 02:49:21 pm »
This may not be what you want to hear bd, but to me it seems fairly obvious (no matter what she says to the contrary) that your partner would be much happier spending her days making her family ‘happy’ - than making yourself or herself content and happy. It may be broken and bred by years of conditioning - but it is true. She is not blameless in this, she accepted this submissive role and ignored many moments to fight for her own ground. To me - you are just another in the long line of her fake attempts to claim freedom that she will in the end abandon for what she realky wants - mummy’s pat on the head and her old familiar masochistic hole. Oh she’ll protest alright, but it’s not from fear of losing her freedom, it’s just a form of flirting with the black hole she is orbiting. She’ll protest, then collapse into the void and once again be trully happy.

People.
Do.
Not.
Change.

Not really.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #203 on: July 13, 2019, 02:50:56 pm »
Agree with the fridge shifter here
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #204 on: July 13, 2019, 03:03:52 pm »
I don't think i can move forward from here.
You can. As in forward, away from them. You're right - this isn't healthy and I've been in a co-dependent dysfunctional family dynamic. The only bridge you should contemplate here is the one taking you over and away from that toxic river.

And Barney as much as I have enjoyed reading your stuff over the years, that last post of yours was waaaaaaay off the mark - butchers is not the controlling element in this scenario and he deserves better treatment than he's getting from this people. Of course, you're entitled to an opinion and a view, but I think you've misjudged this one.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: July 13, 2019, 06:12:46 pm »
Am I wrong feeling like this? Please tell me if I am.
If you don't mind me saying so I think yes mate. You're doing brilliantly coping and you do need some sort of strategy but your gf has got to be able to send a birthday message to her sister. It's basic decency, which is all your asking for in this relationship.

Keep us informed mate, we're here for you.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: July 13, 2019, 06:17:59 pm »
He shouldn't be having an argument for her wishing her sister a happy birthday.
Barney is right here. I think BD is the more conciliatory person and this situation is perhaps distorting what he'd usually consider as rational.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: July 13, 2019, 07:48:05 pm »
Barney is right here. I think BD is the more conciliatory person and this situation is perhaps distorting what he'd usually consider as rational.
But as irrational as BD's response might appear to be on surface, taken into context it's symptomatic of the wider issue and I certainly wouldn't interpret it as him wishing to be the controlling element in some twisted willy waving contest of dysfuntionalism. That's where I belief Barney called it incorrectly.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: July 13, 2019, 07:56:47 pm »
Perhaps I was wrong to say he's seeking to gain control of her. But going off on one because his missus wished her sister a happy birthday and wanting them to love 45 minutes away from her family after living together a few months is a bit strange to me.
I've been in a controlling relationship where I had to toe the line incase I done something she didn't like. It's not nice.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: July 13, 2019, 08:41:59 pm »
I can see why BD got annoyed, but I can also see Barney's point of view.

His partner won't just cut all contact because it's the right thing to do, it needs to be gradual to help ease it for her. This isn't just about BD's feelings, it's about his partners as well who, at the minute, I can imagine feels as thought she's stuck between a rock and a hard place.

in this particular situation, I'd apologise to the partner, explain that you just lost it a little but you're not trying to come across as telling her what to do. It's not about being horrible to her parents, it's about trying to find a way for you to both move forward, happier without the constant threat of her family kicking off and trying to control both of your every moves.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #210 on: July 13, 2019, 08:51:31 pm »
I think he wasn't annoyed for wishing her a happy birthday but that she lied about it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: July 13, 2019, 09:04:10 pm »
I think he wasn't annoyed for wishing her a happy birthday but that she lied about it.

Knowing he would go off on one. He said she didn't tell him. He's yet to say how he found out. I'm assuming the no contact rule extended to both of them, so if she didn't tell him, and he has no contact with the in laws, how exactly did he find out?

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: July 13, 2019, 09:17:53 pm »
Did she know he'd react that way though?

In fact did he go off on one? 

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: July 13, 2019, 09:49:58 pm »
Did she know he'd react that way though?

In fact did he go off on one? 

We had a row about it this morning

I doubt she was the one that started the argument. By his own admission, they've been arguing a lot lately, so she knew he would go off on one about it. I'd hazard a guess he went through her messages. Probably while she was sleeping, hence the arguing this morning.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: July 13, 2019, 09:58:12 pm »
As the saying goes, there's two sides to an argument and in this relationship/situation there are no winners apart from the parents.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: July 14, 2019, 07:22:16 am »
As the saying goes, there's two sides to an argument and in this relationship/situation there are no winners apart from the parents.

Seems like they'll get exactly what they're aiming for. As for going through messages I sincerely hope BD hasn't resorted to that nefarious tactic. Maybe it's just a public Facebook post...

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: July 14, 2019, 08:09:03 am »
Seems like they'll get exactly what they're aiming for. As for going through messages I sincerely hope BD hasn't resorted to that nefarious tactic. Maybe it's just a public Facebook post...
Unfortunately for both of them it looks like they will.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: July 14, 2019, 08:33:26 am »
You can. As in forward, away from them. You're right - this isn't healthy and I've been in a co-dependent dysfunctional family dynamic. The only bridge you should contemplate here is the one taking you over and away from that toxic river.

And Barney as much as I have enjoyed reading your stuff over the years, that last post of yours was waaaaaaay off the mark - butchers is not the controlling element in this scenario and he deserves better treatment than he's getting from this people. Of course, you're entitled to an opinion and a view, but I think you've misjudged this one.

What a ridiculous statement, it’s like you haven’t even bothered to read the thread at all.

No its not. My wife had a big falling out with her sister a few years ago over the prick she was with at the time. I said something to my counsellor last year about getting annoyed if my wife made contact again after all the shit. She said basically the same to me, that I was just being controlling and that it wasn't my place to say what she could and couldn't do. There is nothing wrong with her wishing her sister happy birthday, in fact no wishing her one is far more petty and would reflect worse on her.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 08:35:32 am by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
Advice - partners parents
« Reply #218 on: July 14, 2019, 10:40:25 am »
No its not. My wife had a big falling out with her sister a few years ago over the prick she was with at the time. I said something to my counsellor last year about getting annoyed if my wife made contact again after all the shit. She said basically the same to me, that I was just being controlling and that it wasn't my place to say what she could and couldn't do. There is nothing wrong with her wishing her sister happy birthday, in fact no wishing her one is far more petty and would reflect worse on her.
Is correct.

Every person is entitled to their own actions. How you react to another's action is on you not them.

Ultimately it's about choices and you can can only choose for yourself.

@BD, horrible as those people are, if your choices (eg moving 45 minutes away) are not jointly agreed then it is a form of control.

I really feel for you - it seems that her family has already 'won' and succeeded in inserting an insidious worm into your relationship.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: July 14, 2019, 11:25:39 am »
Being serious though, it is tough to be told to break off a relationship, but BD, for your own sanity and so that you two don't end up hating each other, you do need to split up. It's easy for those of us outside this to say it, we don't have to do it ourselves, but everything you have told us, tells us all this is a very toxic situation and sadly there is nothing you can do to change things. Is is actually NOT your place to try to change things. The parents will never change, in fact you revealed the financial side of things, so there is no way they want to lose that control. The Mother is determined to split you up and your partner is allowing it. Until, of her own choice, and by that I mean not having to choose between you and her family, she either tells the parents to stop what they are doing with her relationships, or cuts all ties through her own choice, your relationship cannot work. One day, you will be accused of being the one who destroyed her relationship with her family.

Go find someone who makes you happy and you can build a solid happy family with. She sadly isn't that one.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 12:47:38 pm by 24/7 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #220 on: July 15, 2019, 08:13:13 am »
Honestly I think this relationship has run it's course. For your own sanity you need to get out of it.

If you think it's rough now wait until you wanted to get married and start a family, all of this anxiety and stress you're feeling will be nothing compared to then mate.

As others have said it's easy for us to sit at our keyboards and say just end the relationship like it's switching off a light but I think for your own wellbeing this is the only option for you. It'll be shite in the short term but in the long term I think you'll save yourself alot of pain.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #221 on: July 15, 2019, 08:57:46 am »
No its not. My wife had a big falling out with her sister a few years ago over the prick she was with at the time.

Don’t be so hard on yourself.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: July 15, 2019, 09:03:26 am »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #223 on: July 15, 2019, 09:56:49 am »
Thanks for all the advice and different views folks. After giving it further thought, I think I'm in a lose/lose situation here. I either say nothing and deal with a life of being insulted, humiliated and controlled by her Mother in particular, which I think will lead to arguments, tension, distance between us, and a break up, as per the ex husband, or at the very least, a miserable life for me based on the last six months, or I try and address it, in which case, as some have pointed out, I come across as controlling. I can't win except to break up. I just want a normal life, really. I'd sooner be alone than be in this blender of madness, life is too short.

For those who say I'm trying to control my partner, it really hasn't ever been about that. I couldn't care less about her seeing/interacting with a normal family. Genuinely, hand on heart. Couldn't care less. I just can't sit and pretend her family aren't abusive. I can't condone it. I'd challenge anyone who thinks this is about control to spend six months in the same position as me and reach any different conclusions about them or interacting with them. This isn't just about me, it's about how they treat her, whether she was with me or not. I'm not trying to force my opinion on her, she talked to me about it and we seemed to be on the same page re: how to deal with it. I can only take her at face value and try to move forward. This isn't a situation I've engineered to suit any agenda of my own, I've spent six months giving them the benefit of the doubt and trying to make it work, for all parties. Yes, she's free to make her own choices, but equally, I can't pretend I think it's healthy to let someone behave appallingly to both herself and me, and then not hold them to account, and equally, when my partner tells me she's on the same page as me with all this, then seemingly isn't, it's disheartening and frustrating after sticking around. I don't want any medals, but that's just the reality of human emotions. And why would I want to share my life with someone who'd let her family treat me like that? I'm being told by her that she doesn't think she's strong enough to stand up to them on her own, I don't know, I feel I've been painted into a corner where whatever I do I'm going to be the bad guy.

Anyway, it's always good to hear a view counter to your own, it's healthy to challenge your thoughts with another viewpoint. So thanks to all. I won't be dealing with this any longer though, enough is enough.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #224 on: July 15, 2019, 10:11:01 am »
Ah, good luck mate.

Wishing you the best.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #225 on: July 15, 2019, 10:21:40 am »
Look at it from her perspective for a minute - she’s had years upon years of conditioning think how her parents have treated her all this time is normal, and to accept it. Her sister has most likely too.

Surely you see it’s probably a huge step just to admit there is a problem and they are it, let alone to agree that cutting contact is the right action. That’s def supporting you as much as it is herself.

I imagine it’s not easy at all just cutting contact with family. So likely there always will be bumps along the way, and rather than anger she probably needs support and a bit of understanding.

I’d 100% understand you removing yourself from the situation, but if you decide not to then it’s support she needs for you to both get to a place which is a much better environment for your relationship. Can’t inagine it will be quick or easy though.

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #226 on: July 15, 2019, 10:47:52 am »
Get out whilst you can. Relationships are supposed to improve your life and make you happy

Online So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #227 on: July 15, 2019, 11:12:47 am »
Get out whilst you can. Relationships are supposed to improve your life and make you happy

That's excellent advice for Evertonians too.  ;D

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: July 15, 2019, 11:15:10 am »
I’d say if she won’t change now and see how her parents are, she will never change.
Marriage and children will only make it harder for you in life to be happy as you will be weighed down even more so in the relationship as they will be even more involved in your life when that time comes.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: July 15, 2019, 01:31:34 pm »
Her saying she isn’t strong enough to stand upto them on her own is a cry for help IMO.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: July 15, 2019, 05:42:06 pm »
Her saying she isn’t strong enough to stand upto them on her own is a cry for help IMO.

It does sound like that to me a bit, but I don't think, no matter how much support she gets, she will stand up to or walk away from them.

I personally, as I've already said, would walk away. Its too much shit too early in a relationship, it is already affecting BDs mental health. This woman lost a marriage due to the situation, so I wouldn't hold out any hope that she will change things now and the longer they are together the worse it will get.

Horrible situation for anyone to be in.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: July 30, 2019, 10:14:37 pm »
Time for an update!

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: July 31, 2019, 12:17:40 am »
I agree with the going to a relationship counselor like someone mentioned before. Surprised at the response to that suggestion. For her sake she needs an independent view so it’s not just you against them.

Failing that these people deserve violence.

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #233 on: October 28, 2019, 06:31:26 am »
3 months on how did this work out? Hopefully well for you personally

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: October 28, 2019, 01:16:53 pm »
I like how Barney assumed out of nowhere that he went through her texts while she sleeps. That was unexpected.

Didn't see this at the time

From his own post -

So my partner has broken no contact and sent her sister happy birthday messages. She didn't tell me.

How else would he have found out if he didn't go through her messages?

Regardless, I hope he is in a better situation now and he's in good health.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: October 30, 2019, 05:47:28 pm »
Last active 2pm today  ;D

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #236 on: October 30, 2019, 07:23:31 pm »
I agree with the going to a relationship counselor like someone mentioned before. Surprised at the response to that suggestion. For her sake she needs an independent view so it’s not just you against them.

Failing that these people deserve violence.
First time I`ve read this thread and the most pertinent point is the above  ;D

I`ve been through something similar to this BD with my own parents who turned bandit when my first child was born, so much so after four years of shite from them I cut all ties for the best part of a decade.

Best (and saddest) thing I`ve ever done. This is what your girlfriend should have done for her own sanity.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: November 7, 2019, 12:42:53 pm »
Come on man, it's been 4 months we need an update!

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #238 on: November 11, 2019, 02:58:38 pm »
Shite that mate but the more I read about these people the more I think you and your missus will be much better off long term without them being a part of your life.

I say that as someone who had a similar issue with my own family a few years ago which resulted in them doing the same to me as your partner's parents have done to her (cutting me out completely). It's been nearly four years now and the only member of my family still in touch with me is my brother. It's a horrible situation but I know my life is probably better off without them as the last twelve months they were talking to me they were a very toxic influence on my life.

It's good your missus is talking to someone about it. I've thought about doing that myself the past few years but never actually went through with it.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: November 11, 2019, 03:07:11 pm »
Just read it before it was deleted but that sounds absolutely grim. The key is to cut off all contact with them, they just seem so toxic and also quite racist. The less your partner interacts with them the better. All they're going to do now is spread bad word about you both, since they've told her auntie they will turn everyone against you. I think it's done, there's no way back from this.

Oh and rest assured we are not asking for an update merely for our entertainment. We are genuinely concerned because this kind of situation is harmful to your health, it can potentially send some people into a deep depression, speaking from experience.