Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 470555 times)

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #8600 on: February 9, 2024, 04:31:45 pm »
Think Dustin's contract is up this year, so might be able to get him in at some point if it drags on a bit.

I wonder if the Dudleys are angling for a TLC retread in AEW as both the Hardyz and E&C are there.  Would be an absolute shitshow though.

Isn't Dvon a coach at the PC these days?

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8601 on: February 9, 2024, 07:45:56 pm »
Isn't Dvon a coach at the PC these days?

Thought he left last year?

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8602 on: February 9, 2024, 07:48:36 pm »
Thought he left last year?

May have, just last I heard of him he was a cool dude coaching people and looking to bring his son's into the business, and last I saw Bubba he was being full MAGA, pushing his Fiance, and buttering up TNA management to get a match with Dreamer

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8603 on: February 9, 2024, 09:14:29 pm »
Rock's barely set foot in a ring for years and he's old, obviously roided to the gills and seems to have trouble moving quickly. Whatever the reason for the change, the original plan would have probably made the worst main event in years, possibly ever.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8604 on: February 9, 2024, 09:21:50 pm »
Rock's barely set foot in a ring for years and he's old, obviously roided to the gills and seems to have trouble moving quickly. Whatever the reason for the change, the original plan would have probably made the worst main event in years, possibly ever.

I mean they’re still going to do Rock/Roman, so that bad match is still coming. But at least now there’s a feeling there’ll be a proper storyline behind it.

Did think Rock looked a bit less bulky at that presser last night so presume he’s preparing for the ring return.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8605 on: February 9, 2024, 09:32:17 pm »
https://www.vice.com/en/article/epv78z/ashley-massaro-wwe-vince-mcmahon-sexual-divas

Vice published a previously unseen statement from Ashley Massaro regarding Vince's sexual advances towards her, other diva's, and the consequences of turning him down.

Basically paints a picture of a casting couch culture in the company

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8606 on: February 9, 2024, 09:35:48 pm »
https://www.postwrestling.com/2024/02/09/bret-hart-on-vince-mcmahon-i-have-absolutely-zero-respect-for-him/

Bret Hart also come said his piece about Vince, thinks this type of behavior was everywhere in WWE, and said he recently apologized to Rita Chatterton for doubting her allegations

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8607 on: February 9, 2024, 11:46:37 pm »
That match will still happen, just not at this year's Wrestlemania. And it'll probably be Rock's last match. He's gotten too big so he's nowhere near as agile as he used to be. Wonder if he can still do the kip-up like he used to.

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8608 on: February 9, 2024, 11:48:28 pm »
https://www.vice.com/en/article/epv78z/ashley-massaro-wwe-vince-mcmahon-sexual-divas

Vice published a previously unseen statement from Ashley Massaro regarding Vince's sexual advances towards her, other diva's, and the consequences of turning him down.

Basically paints a picture of a casting couch culture in the company
As a 13 year old, that's when I realised Vince is a pervert. Making Trish crawl like a dog, always having her remove her clothes, Triple H practising holds on her backstage etc. It's clear that Vince's "Mr McMahon" character was just an on-screen extension of his real self. He must've loved shit like the bra and panties mud match and Lita's "live sex" celebration, which even Edge was reluctant to do and tried to get out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6lFBmbtGl8&ab_channel=UnwatermarkedWWEWomen%E2%80%99sSegments

^ This video to me is very disturbing. The cold stare on his face, Ashley looking on in fear and the extremely weird gawking at their behinds as they walk up.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8609 on: February 10, 2024, 01:34:09 am »
As a 13 year old, that's when I realised Vince is a pervert. Making Trish crawl like a dog, always having her remove her clothes, Triple H practising holds on her backstage etc. It's clear that Vince's "Mr McMahon" character was just an on-screen extension of his real self. He must've loved shit like the bra and panties mud match and Lita's "live sex" celebration, which even Edge was reluctant to do and tried to get out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6lFBmbtGl8&ab_channel=UnwatermarkedWWEWomen%E2%80%99sSegments

^ This video to me is very disturbing. The cold stare on his face, Ashley looking on in fear and the extremely weird gawking at their behinds as they walk up.

https://twitter.com/BenRogerson_/status/1756000189414854995?s=19

There is this video too which in context of Vince writing her script after she spurred his advances, this is a fair bit more sinister an interaction

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8610 on: February 10, 2024, 07:54:13 am »
https://twitter.com/BenRogerson_/status/1756000189414854995?s=19

There is this video too which in context of Vince writing her script after she spurred his advances, this is a fair bit more sinister an interaction

Yes, in WWE a full and effective investigation must clean out everyone who was provably involved and Vince should never work again, preferably spend his days in jail to be honest, very unlikely though that is.

And the industry, as a whole, has to clean up its act. There remains huge issues.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8611 on: February 10, 2024, 12:19:39 pm »
Orton and Drew the first two to qualify for the Chamber, with the winner facing Seth at Mania. Have to assume Drew is getting the shot. Sami got eliminated from the bracket but I think they’re telling a longer story with him and building him up, whether he gets a second chance for Mania not who knows but I do like the idea of a triple threat with Seth, Drew and Sami.

Presume Priest will finally cash in at Mania too, although don’t think he’ll be successful.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8612 on: February 10, 2024, 08:14:35 pm »
It's a shame Trips has his heart issues really, because a Rock vs. Triple H Mania match is currently finely poised.

It's not often I would want two 50+ year old men going at it at a big show, but I have a lot of nostalgia for this rivalry. Would also be a good springboard for The Rock to get a big win going into his inevitable feud with Roman.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #8613 on: February 10, 2024, 08:38:42 pm »
Is there anything Bret Hart wouldn't complain about?

He's my favourite. Absolutely loved the way he made technical wrestling so entertaining, and his promo skills were great, and I really felt for him after Montreal.

Him criticising Vince is fine; what Vince has done was horrible, but all this "I’m not worried about Vince’s feelings. He’s never cared about mine" Christ give it a rest and for once stop making it about you!

You willingly came back to Vince in 2010, called him a father figure, and praised him in his autobiography, now Vince is exposed Bret doesn't mind seeing Vince's "head kicked around the parking lot"...   If it isn't Shawn, Goldberg, or Vince it'll be something/someone else.

Love the wrestler, the character, the persona, but I have absolutely no doubt why he doesn't get a consultancy role, or a Tough Enough gig, or something similar.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8614 on: February 10, 2024, 08:57:42 pm »
I mean he was recently asked about his top five wrestlers and he named himself, so he's quite clearly a bit egotistical and of course a very bitter individual who can't let things go.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8615 on: February 10, 2024, 09:16:48 pm »
I mean he was recently asked about his top five wrestlers and he named himself, so he's quite clearly a bit egotistical and of course a very bitter individual who can't let things go.
I honestly speak as a fan, as I said, I loved his character so much.... but literally every time his name pops up my first question is "Ah, let's hear it Bret, who did it to you this time?!"   ;D

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8616 on: February 10, 2024, 09:43:09 pm »
Is there anything Bret Hart wouldn't complain about?

He's my favourite. Absolutely loved the way he made technical wrestling so entertaining, and his promo skills were great, and I really felt for him after Montreal.

Him criticising Vince is fine; what Vince has done was horrible, but all this "I’m not worried about Vince’s feelings. He’s never cared about mine" Christ give it a rest and for once stop making it about you!

You willingly came back to Vince in 2010, called him a father figure, and praised him in his autobiography, now Vince is exposed Bret doesn't mind seeing Vince's "head kicked around the parking lot"...   If it isn't Shawn, Goldberg, or Vince it'll be something/someone else.

Love the wrestler, the character, the persona, but I have absolutely no doubt why he doesn't get a consultancy role, or a Tough Enough gig, or something similar.

Can you imagine Bret Hart being diplomatic with talent? Bloody hell, the man makes Elon Musk look modest.

There is one interview where he rates talent out of 10 on look, in ring and mic skills. He was surprisingly modest on his own look and mic skills and he gave Shawn a higher score in both (fairly in my view) whilst rsting them both tens in ring. But that's one of the rare times I've seen him to be modest and hit spooked me!

Offline Vegeta

• Is definitely a vegetable. All posts stink like sprouts.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #8617 on: February 10, 2024, 10:08:26 pm »
I mean, they're established for decades now, they have an insane head start on any other company with the money they generate, you'd have to expect that they'd be good at this kind of thing.

Shame they're part funded by Saudi blood money and are only just now starting to correct the awful backstage culture.
I agree with that, but they don't take shots at other promotions because as soon as you do that it makes you look 2nd rate.

I want their to be another alternative to WWE but sadly any alternative that comes along has an inferiority complex where they have to make bitter comments about WWE to stay relevant.

150 IQ never wrong.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8618 on: February 10, 2024, 10:11:05 pm »
I agree with that, but they don't take shots at other promotions because as soon as you do that it makes you look 2nd rate.

I want their to be another alternative to WWE but sadly any alternative that comes along has an inferiority complex where they have to make bitter comments about WWE to stay relevant.

HHH has taken more than one shot against AEW though?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8619 on: February 10, 2024, 11:26:06 pm »
Best there is, best there was, best there ever will be. I also think he has a right to be bitter, given a) the way Vince screwed him after he'd agreed to rip up the long-term contract he'd signed just a year earlier and b) what happened to Owen.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8620 on: February 11, 2024, 02:04:55 am »
With The Rock now involvled I would not be suprised if Bret came back in some capacity.  He clearly has time for Dwayne and vice versa.

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8621 on: February 11, 2024, 11:02:09 am »
Rock Vs Roman would be a bad match if the people didn't want it. But with the right build and people behind it, it could be incredible Mania moment.

Like Hogan Vs Rock is no doubt technically a bad match but one of my favourites ever due to the atmosphere and both of them being great performers who know exactly how to get audience involved. For me live crowd is what it's all about

I get the ring work still not to everyone's liking but Reigns has got so good at playing to the crowd during this run also

It's funny because even though the point of the Mania press conference was to set up Cody Vs Reigns again. Rock actually did get me hype for him Vs Roman too. That family tree and "Bound by Blood" as he said it, what a tag line

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #8622 on: February 11, 2024, 02:13:22 pm »
Bret comes across as a crybaby.

Depends which side of fence he wants to be on when it comes to vince

Vince really is a piece of shit isn't he

Always knew he was a bit seedy but not to this extent
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8623 on: February 11, 2024, 07:27:51 pm »
Okada sounds like he has agreed to AEW now

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8624 on: February 11, 2024, 07:50:04 pm »
I am probably going to take a fair bit of time tomorrow watching the New Beginning in Osaka show, because I am hearing GREAT things about ZSJ/Bryan Danielson II and Bullet Club: War Dogs vs United Empire

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8625 on: February 11, 2024, 09:13:11 pm »
Rock himself, in an Instagram post, said he turned heel at the press event  ;)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8626 on: February 11, 2024, 09:59:28 pm »
Won't be for long, he's just playing the game. Still feel he'll come out to the main event just when Cody is about to win, but instead of helping Roman he'll Rock Bottom him, ending his reign and turning him into the biggest face ever.

Or maybe that's too obvious? Seems like something Vince Russo would write.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8627 on: February 11, 2024, 11:10:18 pm »
WWE put out a Mania teaser trailer (for the Super Bowl I assume) and it’s Cody/Seth facing off against Rock/Roman. And not footage from Thursday’s event, it’s been shot specifically for that video. So definitely seems like they’ll be doing a tag match, presumably on the first night, before the title matches the next day.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8628 on: February 11, 2024, 11:24:49 pm »
Rock Vs Roman would be a bad match if the people didn't want it. But with the right build and people behind it, it could be incredible Mania moment.

Like Hogan Vs Rock is no doubt technically a bad match but one of my favourites ever due to the atmosphere and both of them being great performers who know exactly how to get audience involved. For me live crowd is what it's all about

I get the ring work still not to everyone's liking but Reigns has got so good at playing to the crowd during this run also

It's funny because even though the point of the Mania press conference was to set up Cody Vs Reigns again. Rock actually did get me hype for him Vs Roman too. That family tree and "Bound by Blood" as he said it, what a tag line

to be honest, it has been a near decade since Rock had a match and he is clearly not The Rock of 2002, so that's a big decline.

And Hogan, even of 2002, had more tools to work a storyline centric match than Roman does, even now.

I'd like to see it, of course, but it will take even more smoke and mirrors than that match had; apparently they worked that match almost on the fly because of the face reaction for Hogan, but I'm not entirely sure that's true; if they did then...wow.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8629 on: February 11, 2024, 11:59:03 pm »
To be fair I think it was in response to a Tweet someone wrongly put it out making it look like he was booed for his charity situation.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #8630 on: February 12, 2024, 08:18:16 am »
to be honest, it has been a near decade since Rock had a match and he is clearly not The Rock of 2002, so that's a big decline.

And Hogan, even of 2002, had more tools to work a storyline centric match than Roman does, even now.

I'd like to see it, of course, but it will take even more smoke and mirrors than that match had; apparently they worked that match almost on the fly because of the face reaction for Hogan, but I'm not entirely sure that's true; if they did then...wow.

If "smoke and mirrors" wasn't intentional then I will be sorely disappointed

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8631 on: February 12, 2024, 11:23:48 am »
To be fair I think it was in response to a Tweet someone wrongly put it out making it look like he was booed for his charity situation.
Some Trumper nutjob too. Apparently the crowd was booing him and chanting "Maui". How do these people live in these alternate realities?  :D

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8632 on: February 12, 2024, 01:01:52 pm »
Some Trumper nutjob too. Apparently the crowd was booing him and chanting "Maui". How do these people live in these alternate realities?  :D

We truly live in a post-truth society. You see it even in football. People creative a narrative of what they want the truth to be, then parrot it to you, despite everything you've seen with your own eyes. It's mental and it's just normal now.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8633 on: February 12, 2024, 05:54:50 pm »
Apparently he only came back because of the backlash from the Maui situation and the Black Adam movie flopping. Internet nerds really will have you think they know it all.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8634 on: February 13, 2024, 09:54:38 am »
Apparently he only came back because of the backlash from the Maui situation and the Black Adam movie flopping. Internet nerds really will have you think they know it all.

That's going too far, but after the Black Adam debacle and a run of less than impressive box office returns, he probably needs wrestling a little more than he did.

But, as much as it probably isn't and wasn't his first love, I've always thought the real Rock shines through when he gets yo talk about wrestling. It is clearly a love he never lost and not just a means to an end.

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #8635 on: February 13, 2024, 06:03:12 pm »
We truly live in a post-truth society. You see it even in football. People creative a narrative of what they want the truth to be, then parrot it to you, despite everything you've seen with your own eyes. It's mental and it's just normal now.

Gary Neville likes this.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8636 on: February 16, 2024, 10:03:03 am »
I was not expecting that Orange Cassidy vs Matt Taven Texas death match to be anywhere near as good as it was.  Taven put some serious work in there, good for him.

Ospreay vs Takeshita though.  Cannot wait.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #8637 on: February 16, 2024, 10:07:36 am »
I was not expecting that Orange Cassidy vs Matt Taven Texas death match to be anywhere near as good as it was.  Taven put some serious work in there, good for him.

Ospreay vs Takeshita though.  Cannot wait.

The dive through that propped up table knowing that Cassidy wasn't going to be there to soften the landing, ouch.

I assume they want to bring Ospreay in doing something different to Callis' family and so have this 'friendly' match leading to him going off and doing whatever. But yeah, it's going to be something special on that card.

I've got the Monday after off so sitting on the 'watch live & be a zombie on Monday/watch across a lazy Monday morning' fence at the moment.

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8638 on: February 16, 2024, 10:14:43 am »
I think the big Aussie is due back anytime now, so might get a little program of United Empire vs Hobbs, Takeshita and Sammy.  Unless Sammy is in the doghouse again after what happened on Rampage.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8639 on: February 16, 2024, 03:09:05 pm »
The dive through that propped up table knowing that Cassidy wasn't going to be there to soften the landing, ouch.

I assume they want to bring Ospreay in doing something different to Callis' family and so have this 'friendly' match leading to him going off and doing whatever. But yeah, it's going to be something special on that card.

I've got the Monday after off so sitting on the 'watch live & be a zombie on Monday/watch across a lazy Monday morning' fence at the moment.

Yeah, Ospreay aligned with them is near death for him on debut. He needs to get away.

It was a cracking match with Cassidy and Taven though. I'm at the point where I am less "why was it a Texas deathmatch" and more "it was really good sizzle" and I enjoyed it all the more for it.