Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 461608 times)

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #7000 on: April 5, 2023, 08:38:36 am »
Vince is a problem, for sure.

Honestly though? The whole product (across all promotions) has lacked charisma and characters with proper angles for a long, long while now.

I have no idea why. Could be oversaturation; so many shows, so much content, so many PPV's.

Could be social media and the ability for fans with smartphones to capture all the rumors and dark matches and report them in the many podcasts and shows.

Could be that talent isn't given room to grow in such a fast paced world, characters don't flesh out.

Yeah Vince is a problem, but honestly, it's been like this for a decade or more.

I think the social media aspect is key - even if people were aware of things in the 90s and 00s there was still some mystique to it all. Now that everything is presented to the fans and backstage information is so easy to access then it simply won't be the same as it once was

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7001 on: April 5, 2023, 08:48:14 am »
Wrestling was also the perfect fit for the lad culture of the mid to late 90s.  The DX stuff, Austin, Rock, bra and panties matches, etc.  They captured the mood of the time really well and the current climate isn't a good fit for wrestling.  AEW tried it with the inclusivity stuff, signing and showcasing wrestlers like Sonny Kiss and Nyla Rose, but it's just not what wrestling fans really want because they're all still pining for the attitude era.

They key to it really is storylines right now.  AEW had a lot of momentum with the Hangman story, WWE did great business with the Sami/Bloodline story, that's what they should be focusing on these days.  If you book great stories, people will stick around to see the ending.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7002 on: April 5, 2023, 09:03:46 am »
Vince is a problem, for sure.

Honestly though? The whole product (across all promotions) has lacked charisma and characters with proper angles for a long, long while now.

I have no idea why. Could be oversaturation; so many shows, so much content, so many PPV's.

Could be social media and the ability for fans with smartphones to capture all the rumors and dark matches and report them in the many podcasts and shows.

Could be that talent isn't given room to grow in such a fast paced world, characters don't flesh out.

Yeah Vince is a problem, but honestly, it's been like this for a decade or more.
combination of all that alright

How many ppvs a year are there these days?

Wrestlemania over two nights is too much.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7003 on: April 5, 2023, 10:44:30 am »
Any recent chat about AEW doing a UK event in 2023?
Football is a lie

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #7004 on: April 5, 2023, 11:35:24 am »
Any recent chat about AEW doing a UK event in 2023?

'Huge' announcement planned for tonight's Dynamite. Probably not that though, as the recent rumours are that AEW's 3rd hour will start airing late July on Saturday evenings.

If the plan is/was to use Craven Cottage between football seasons then it's getting pretty late in the year to announce it...
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7005 on: April 5, 2023, 11:45:59 am »
I think WWE booking the O2 threw a few things off, but apparently we may be hearing more soon

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7006 on: April 5, 2023, 11:22:15 pm »
Lot of chatter is that tonight is the AEW UK tour announcement

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7007 on: April 6, 2023, 01:12:41 am »
Jay White signed with AEW and turned up right away tonight

Find it funny that Vince had no call ups or Debuts on the Raw after Mania, so Tony has Jay White debut in literally the first 60 seconds of Dynamite

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7008 on: April 6, 2023, 06:33:33 am »
So the announcement is of AEW All In, a UK PPV being done at Wembley Stadium on August 27th

That's a big announcement

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #7009 on: April 6, 2023, 07:56:28 am »
Huge statement of intent, aiming to fill Wembley. I wanted a SS'92 style summer show at the Cottage, instead they can just try to replicate it in situ (sort of).

I was ambivalent towards trekking down to London for a midweek Dynamite, but this has got me interested again.

Also, spotted in the crowd: A sign saying "LMAO Cody". Harsh.

Otherwise, good show, although (as is common) the MJF section went on for a bit. Song, speeches, scuffle. Probably could have cut down on one.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7010 on: April 6, 2023, 08:06:16 am »
Wow wasn't expecting Wembley. What's their biggest attendance to date, 20,000?

Doubling that would be a great effort. Bank holiday weekend too :D
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7011 on: April 6, 2023, 08:06:41 am »
Huge statement of intent, aiming to fill Wembley. I wanted a SS'92 style summer show at the Cottage, instead they can just try to replicate it in situ (sort of).

I was ambivalent towards trekking down to London for a midweek Dynamite, but this has got me interested again.

Also, spotted in the crowd: A sign saying "LMAO Cody". Harsh.

Otherwise, good show, although (as is common) the MJF section went on for a bit. Song, speeches, scuffle. Probably could have cut down on one.

It being on Bank Holiday weekend as well is a big plus, basically seals the deal for me I am going to this

Don't think they'll sell it out (hey maybe they will) but perhaps they are anticipating more than the Cottage can hold.

Big statement of intent for sure and if they do well could get the company a lot of attention over here and in Europe in general

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #7012 on: April 6, 2023, 08:25:54 am »
It being on Bank Holiday weekend as well is a big plus, basically seals the deal for me I am going to this

It's not a bank holiday in Scotland apparently! Not actually that relevant as I don't naturally get them off anyway, so would need to book some time off for the return journey regardless.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7013 on: April 6, 2023, 08:32:07 am »
I think they’ll get big numbers. I’ve spoke before about how I’m still on the fence and struggling to get in AEW but even myself am tempted as I’m only an hour away from Wembley

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #7014 on: April 6, 2023, 08:37:06 am »
Its a big statement. Business wise though it is probably a bit silly. Craven Cottage they wouldn't have had to pay for. If you believe the boxing promotors, Wembley costs around £250-300k to rent. Be interesting if it is a profitable show. 

Nigel McGuinness is a good get for AEW/ROH. Pulls on those nostalgia heartstrings and boosts ROH profile

Wonder if he'll get a chance to get back in the ring under the AEW umbrella. The sliding doors moment when he admitted his previous health problems to WWE and Danielson didn't.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7015 on: April 6, 2023, 08:48:02 am »
I reckon there's definitely enough hardcore wrestling fans to go, not least because AEW is on ITV rather than Sky. I'm certainly considering it.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7016 on: April 6, 2023, 08:58:18 am »
Its a big statement. Business wise though it is probably a bit silly. Craven Cottage they wouldn't have had to pay for. If you believe the boxing promotors, Wembley costs around £250-300k to rent. Be interesting if it is a profitable show. 

Nigel McGuinness is a good get for AEW/ROH. Pulls on those nostalgia heartstrings and boosts ROH profile

Wonder if he'll get a chance to get back in the ring under the AEW umbrella. The sliding doors moment when he admitted his previous health problems to WWE and Danielson didn't.

If Sting can do it I think Nigel may be able to in a limited capacity (like sting)

Although Nigel's wrestling was never like Sting's where you can be "lazy" and still work really good and pop the crowd

Also on Wembley I wonder if there's any degree of deal to be done with it being the stadium for Jacksonville Jaguars (and with Shahid almost buying the stadium himself)

Offline NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #7017 on: April 6, 2023, 12:12:27 pm »
HoB vs  RAWKs Pulled Hamstrings is on!!!!!   ;D

Malaki Black, Whatcha gonna do when Night Dancermania runs wild on you, brother.

Kick me in the head probably.  :lickin
What's your pleasure?

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7018 on: April 6, 2023, 01:58:02 pm »
HoB vs  RAWKs Pulled Hamstrings is on!!!!!   ;D

Malaki Black, Whatcha gonna do when Night Dancermania runs wild on you, brother.

Kick me in the head probably.  :lickin

AHHHH YEAH I GET TO GET FUCKING MURDERED BY BRODY KING, WOOHOO!!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7019 on: April 7, 2023, 07:07:38 am »
Fucking hell didn't expect Wembley, that's a massive ask.  WWE to hastily arrange a show in London that same weekend.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7020 on: April 7, 2023, 01:15:50 pm »
Apparently 25,000 signed up for the pre-sale alone.

Don't think they'll sell out Wembley stadium but still maybe worth the risk of going for a bigger venue that craven Cottage (which would be about 25,000 in total one would think)

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #7021 on: April 7, 2023, 01:54:17 pm »
For some years now I've made individual plans with my girlfriend, best mate & brother about going to see AEW if they turn up here. They're all still keen, and looks like the other partners are being dragged along too if mine goes. So my single pre-sale registration is for 4-6 people (if that's even possible).

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7022 on: April 7, 2023, 02:04:59 pm »
I just sorted my flights and accom. Never thought my first trip to Wembley would be a wrestling event!

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7023 on: April 7, 2023, 02:10:44 pm »
I am gonna go no matter what even if it is by myself (most of my mates aren't in to wrestling much or have certain commitments like children that stops them). Gonna try and convince people but if not hey ho if not.

Was planning on staying near Euston Station but not sure what transport is like out of Wembley late at night - my visits there have been for the match and my dad usually drives down (or to Oxford and get the train last time because getting out of Wembley after a final is a fucking nightmare)
« Last Edit: April 7, 2023, 02:26:47 pm by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7024 on: April 7, 2023, 02:28:53 pm »
I'm going solo, did the WWE Cardiff show on my own as well and it was brilliant craic, the atmosphere in the city before hand was like a football game and it's not everyday you get to strike up an in depth conversation about wrestling with actual real life people in the real world. People watching is half the fun too, I know they won't sell out but could imagine 90,000 wrestling fans having it's fair share of interesting characters!

Only shame is the fact it is Wembley, I've heard it's a bit soulless outside the ground.

Online OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #7025 on: April 7, 2023, 02:33:08 pm »
I am gonna go no matter what even if it is by myself (most of my mates aren't in to wrestling much or have certain commitments like children that stops them). Gonna try and convince people but if not hey ho if not.

Was planning on staying near Euston Station but not sure what transport is like out of Wembley late at night - my visits there have been for the match and my dad usually drives down (or to Oxford and get the train last time because getting out of Wembley after a final is a fucking nightmare)
I was the Womens Finalissma last night and Wembley Park Station had a power outage near the end of the match, so we were worried about getting back etc. They did fix it just in time. But yeah it can be a bit of a nightmare trying to get out.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #7026 on: April 7, 2023, 03:18:11 pm »
Just watched wrestlemania Sunday main event. Thoroughly sports entertained, I love how much it upset the neck beards online as well.

The bloodline truly are the ones.

Cody to beat him next year in the rematch for the biggest pop ever at WM40.

That's how you book a territory, well done Hunter.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7027 on: April 7, 2023, 07:46:39 pm »
WWE missed a beat by not booking Wembley for a PPV I don;t thnik AEW sells out 90K with maybe another 5K filling out the rest of the pitch.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #7028 on: April 7, 2023, 08:11:24 pm »
A good chunk of the tiered seats will be behind the ramp and blocked off. It's not going to be a 90k capacity event.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7029 on: April 7, 2023, 08:13:31 pm »
Just watched wrestlemania Sunday main event. Thoroughly sports entertained, I love how much it upset the neck beards online as well.

The bloodline truly are the ones.

Cody to beat him next year in the rematch for the biggest pop ever at WM40.

That's how you book a territory, well done Hunter.

Funnily enough I haven't watched for years, like since before Covid and I saw my mates on Insta posting about watching it so I found a stream just to watch Cody and Reigns and when Roman came out and the commentators were talking about how long he's had the belt and just before it I saw next year is number 40 my first thought was "fuck that, I'd have Roman keep it till then and THEN have Cody beat him. It would be huge." I'd love if they did that. I mean, I won't be watching any of it in between but if they do it, I'll watch that match again.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7030 on: April 7, 2023, 08:28:20 pm »
WWE missed a beat by not booking Wembley for a PPV I don;t thnik AEW sells out 90K with maybe another 5K filling out the rest of the pitch.

A fair bit of it , like one side of the stadium, or at least one lower tier side of the stadium, will be blocked off for the stage and such. I think all in all when you take away that section but add in the seats, you are talking about 75k to 80k.

Clash in the Castle sold out at 62,000 despite the stadium being 75,000 seater. So as a barometer take off around 10-15,000 from the capacity to get what a sell out will be
« Last Edit: April 7, 2023, 08:31:15 pm by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7031 on: April 7, 2023, 08:44:30 pm »
I'm going solo, did the WWE Cardiff show on my own as well and it was brilliant craic, the atmosphere in the city before hand was like a football game and it's not everyday you get to strike up an in depth conversation about wrestling with actual real life people in the real world. People watching is half the fun too, I know they won't sell out but could imagine 90,000 wrestling fans having it's fair share of interesting characters!

Only shame is the fact it is Wembley, I've heard it's a bit soulless outside the ground.
How did you get tickets? From what I remember, it sold out ridiculously quick. Wanted to go Money in the Bank but that also sold out in a minute, then realised I'm actually flying to Turkey that day.

As for Wrestlemania 40, I still think Rock will screw Roman at some point, setting up a match in Philly. And in the meantime Jey will turn on him too, to fill out the time leading up to Mania. Rock said the other day he will back coming back soon so it's a matter of when, not if.

Online OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #7032 on: April 7, 2023, 09:50:14 pm »
They have 25k pre-registered already, Eddie Hearn datanomics puts that at an expected crowd of 56k, and only UK & ROI could pre-register, so thats not counting international fans who will travel.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7033 on: April 7, 2023, 11:29:36 pm »
I'll definitely be getting tickets, just be intrigued by what sort of show it will be seeing that All Out is scheduled for the weekend after.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7034 on: April 7, 2023, 11:30:42 pm »
I'll definitely be getting tickets, just be intrigued by what sort of show it will be seeing that All Out is scheduled for the weekend after.

If it is Wembley I can say for sure that it will be a massive show, perhaps (probably) their biggest show ever

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7035 on: April 7, 2023, 11:52:26 pm »
Definitely thinking about it, only issue would be Ticketmaster are running it which means insane prices if you expect to be able to see the ring.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #7036 on: April 8, 2023, 10:29:24 am »
Funnily enough I haven't watched for years, like since before Covid and I saw my mates on Insta posting about watching it so I found a stream just to watch Cody and Reigns and when Roman came out and the commentators were talking about how long he's had the belt and just before it I saw next year is number 40 my first thought was "fuck that, I'd have Roman keep it till then and THEN have Cody beat him. It would be huge." I'd love if they did that. I mean, I won't be watching any of it in between but if they do it, I'll watch that match again.

It's the obvious call for me, couldnt believe how many people overwhelmingly thought Cody was winning.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7037 on: April 8, 2023, 10:45:34 am »
How did you get tickets? From what I remember, it sold out ridiculously quick. Wanted to go Money in the Bank but that also sold out in a minute, then realised I'm actually flying to Turkey that day.

I got them through the presale and got the cheapest I could find, around £40. View of the action wasn’t great but still could see everything clearly on the giant screens and it was great being part of it. I don’t want to be paying upwards of £100+ for any wrestling event unless it was Mania which I’ll hopefully get to someday.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #7038 on: April 8, 2023, 12:04:18 pm »
It's the obvious call for me, couldnt believe how many people overwhelmingly thought Cody was winning.

yup

With McMahon in charge no way an AEW talent was going over his pick

When Lesnar came in he jobbed (albeit spectacularly) to Cena, HHH....

It's always been so. Look at the Invasion

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7039 on: April 8, 2023, 12:28:00 pm »
yup

With McMahon in charge no way an AEW talent was going over his pick

When Lesnar came in he jobbed (albeit spectacularly) to Cena, HHH....

It's always been so. Look at the Invasion
No, Cody will still go over. It just didn't make sense for him to instantly win. He needs to face more adversity, that's how you build up your hero beating the Big Bad...  what hero beats the final boss at the first try? Story wise it made sense... People are just impatient/don't trust the WWE (the latter I understand of course)