Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 469358 times)

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #4720 on: February 21, 2022, 08:41:55 am »
Saw some plausible speculation re: Cody, regarding his potential reaction to AEW's roster expansion over the last year or so. Cody obviously runs the Nightmare Factory as a wrestling school and as a result has supplied a fair amount of the Dark talent that has gone on to become semi-regular AEW performers, such as Lee Johnson.

Whilst I don't think anyone would argue that some of AEW's recent signings near the top of the card are a mistake, they have also been picking up a lot of people and throwing them into the lower midcard, like Tony Nese. If Cody's AEW vision was to focus on building their own in-house talent (otherwise known as his school's graduates) rather than picking up free agents at every level, then it would be another wedge between him and TK/the rest of the EVPs.

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4721 on: February 21, 2022, 09:39:16 am »
Saw some plausible speculation re: Cody, regarding his potential reaction to AEW's roster expansion over the last year or so. Cody obviously runs the Nightmare Factory as a wrestling school and as a result has supplied a fair amount of the Dark talent that has gone on to become semi-regular AEW performers, such as Lee Johnson.

Whilst I don't think anyone would argue that some of AEW's recent signings near the top of the card are a mistake, they have also been picking up a lot of people and throwing them into the lower midcard, like Tony Nese. If Cody's AEW vision was to focus on building their own in-house talent (otherwise known as his school's graduates) rather than picking up free agents at every level, then it would be another wedge between him and TK/the rest of the EVPs.

I think that's a very fair point honestly, particularly with the Nightmare Factory classes. AEW do currently do a pretty good job of promoting somewhat in house (or near in house talent) - obviously all of their 4 pillars (while not unknown) are mostly AEW originals in that they were not big names before AEW. They have pushed talent like Dante Martin, Wardlow, Wheeler Yuta, Starks and Hobbs (not as much as they should mind) and really working on Daniel Garcia and Lee Moriarty at the moment. But for sure some of those midcard signings could be replaced with more homegrown talent. Of the middle of the pack signings I would really only say Brody King makes clear sense (as partner to Black) and 2.0 have been a success (because they are absolutely brilliant at playing dickhead heel geeks)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4722 on: February 24, 2022, 08:31:40 pm »
Abrahantes looked like such a goof in that new getup with Penta.  And what was the point of a new direction for Penta if he wasn't going to do anything different and just got a beat down from a debuting wrestler?  Really weird segment.

The rest of the show was fine, really shit crowd though.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4723 on: February 24, 2022, 08:39:16 pm »
Cesaro gone, his contract expired.  Would much rather see him have a run in AEW instead of someone like Neese.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4724 on: February 24, 2022, 08:41:32 pm »
AEW will surely pick him up. Not sure he ever could have been the big star everyone seemed to think he could be in WWE, but he’s really talented.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4725 on: February 24, 2022, 08:43:44 pm »
AEW will surely pick him up. Not sure he ever could have been the big star everyone seemed to think he could be in WWE, but he’s really talented.

Yeah he'll never be tippy-top, he's an intercontinental tier wrestler and I think he had a decent run in WWE.  Would be good to see him really cut loose in somewhere like AEW, but he's getting on a bit and is probably best suited to being in a tag team or part of a stable with someone talking for him.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4726 on: February 24, 2022, 08:53:01 pm »
There are worse things I can think of than having Cesaro in a stable of veteran ass kickers with Jon Moxley and Bryan Danielson, teaching the next generation of ass kickers.

Although honestly I am more hoping to see him in NJPW with guys like Ishii, Shingo, and Suzuki

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4727 on: February 25, 2022, 04:43:38 am »
Wonder what they're planning for Punk-MJF
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4728 on: February 25, 2022, 08:13:53 am »
Yeah he'll never be tippy-top, he's an intercontinental tier wrestler and I think he had a decent run in WWE.  Would be good to see him really cut loose in somewhere like AEW, but he's getting on a bit and is probably best suited to being in a tag team or part of a stable with someone talking for him.

You see, I don't agree there. I think you have undersold him a little.

Put him in the right character then he is an effective, though not ever brilliant, talker and that is the one weakness he has. This guy got over with the fans almost instantly, is a believable opponent for anyone, is absolutely beloved by all the wrestlers, and is first rate when that bell rings.

In the old days, maybe he's intercontinental tier, but these days he was ripe to hover just below the big beasts in the main event, have a reign here and there, and always be a challenger. The fact that he was so good in every tag team he was in - adapting to all his partners, but in particular Hero, Sheamus, and Tyson Kidd - at a time where that was the thing WWE lacked obscures just how over and brilliant he was in singles.

And, yeah, AEW has probably stacked itself too much now, and Cesaro is past his prime years (though he's clearly hasn't lost much) means that somewhere like Impact may be a better fit for him at this time. If a company books him like NXT booked him for a while...wow.

If you asked me for one wrestler who shows just how barren WWE has been creatively over the last 20 years, I would no longer point to Zach Ryder, I would point to Antonio Cesaro.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4729 on: February 25, 2022, 09:46:34 am »
Not saying Cesaro can't go, he's clearly a very good wrestler, but that's his ceiling.  Look at someone like Danielson, who is also excellent in the ring, but supplements that with oodles of charisma outside of it and has a very creative mind for stuff.  Cesaro can only be booked as a wrestling machine, that's his entire range.

That's not to say I wouldn't want to see that version of him in AEW, there's loads of great matches they could put him in, but he'd go there knowing he's never getting higher than TNT title status.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4730 on: February 25, 2022, 10:09:59 am »
Not saying Cesaro can't go, he's clearly a very good wrestler, but that's his ceiling.  Look at someone like Danielson, who is also excellent in the ring, but supplements that with oodles of charisma outside of it and has a very creative mind for stuff.  Cesaro can only be booked as a wrestling machine, that's his entire range.

That's not to say I wouldn't want to see that version of him in AEW, there's loads of great matches they could put him in, but he'd go there knowing he's never getting higher than TNT title status.

He's not a mega personality (though neither was Danielson prior to WWE) but the guy was over like rover and believable. He was excellently booked at the suave assassin and as the wrestling machine, and he does have a flair for comedy, so he's got some range. Danielson is legit in the running for best of all time. There ain't too many who stack up next to him.

Cesaro was over from the get go and believable at all times, to the casual and the mark, and he should have been higher in my opinion.

At this stage, I think he'd be in a similar position in a stacked AEW, but I think he'd be higher in Impact. At one stage, he really could have tasted the gold though.

I think we have different opinions of his ceiling, well, we clearly do, but I think that, given some of the names they did push above Cesaro that didn't last (Jinder, Swagger, Khali) and some that did (Sheamus) aren't as over as him, then they could have given him a little more.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4731 on: February 25, 2022, 10:19:54 am »
I know WWE love making everything a 'Wrestlemania moment', but Cesaro winning the inaugural Andre the Giant Battle Royal was definitely one.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4732 on: February 25, 2022, 10:29:26 am »
I know WWE love making everything a 'Wrestlemania moment', but Cesaro winning the inaugural Andre the Giant Battle Royal was definitely one.

Definitely. Best moment in his WWE career in my opinion.

Then, paired with Heyman, the sensible route was to build to him vs Brock. But, for whatever reason - maybe Cesaro became the excuse to get Heyman mentioning the streak every week, or maybe it was always going to be Roman vs Brock eventually - they didn't go down that route.

A shame.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4733 on: February 25, 2022, 10:30:31 am »
Soooo Cesaro and Jeff Hardy to AEW

Poor old banned Claus would have a TNAField day with that!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4734 on: February 25, 2022, 10:37:25 am »
Definitely. Best moment in his WWE career in my opinion.

Then, paired with Heyman, the sensible route was to build to him vs Brock. But, for whatever reason - maybe Cesaro became the excuse to get Heyman mentioning the streak every week, or maybe it was always going to be Roman vs Brock eventually - they didn't go down that route.

A shame.

Putting him with Heyman was the worst thing they could've done because all Heyman did was talk about Brock.  It was pointless.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4735 on: February 25, 2022, 01:27:57 pm »
Putting him with Heyman was the worst thing they could've done because all Heyman did was talk about Brock.  It was pointless.

It definitely turned out to be. It could have been written so much better.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #4736 on: February 25, 2022, 02:30:32 pm »
Abrahantes looked like such a goof in that new getup with Penta.  And what was the point of a new direction for Penta if he wasn't going to do anything different and just got a beat down from a debuting wrestler?  Really weird segment.

The rest of the show was fine, really shit crowd though.

Yeah, it felt like there was massive hype around it - a vignette last week, that moment where Pac beckoned back up the ramp etc... but Penta didn't do anything differently in the ring (that I noticed) and barely looked any different, he wears a load of black anyway. Abrahantes looking like a Hammer Horror extra drew all the attention, which can't have been ideal.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #4737 on: February 26, 2022, 09:24:47 pm »
Vince wrestling Pat McAfee at Wrestlemania, seemingly :lmao
AHA!

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4738 on: February 27, 2022, 07:41:51 am »
Vince wrestling Pat McAfee at Wrestlemania, seemingly :lmao

Saw that. It’ll probably be Austin Theory in Vince’s place? McAfee was really good when he went against Adam Coke I thought.

But yeah, Vince has no business trying to wrestle again.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4739 on: February 28, 2022, 09:04:32 am »
Kane proving himself to be a scummy piece of shit on Twitter: https://twitter.com/GlennJacobsTN/status/1497988660893003781

If you on the Left and are shocked by Putin's aggression, wake up, Sunshine. Historically in the real world, might makes right. Weakness (which is really what the Left is all about) is not a virtue. It's a fatal character flaw.
(And, no, the US should still not get involved).

I highly doubt Putin cares a whit about toxic masculinity, the Cancel Culture Mutawa, or any of the other things the radical Left stands for.

Hangman put him in his place: https://twitter.com/theAdamPage/status/1498036441754046471

UNICEF - Support Children of Ukraine:  http://unicefusa.org

Ukraine Crisis Relief Fund:  http://globalgiving.org/projects/ukraine-crisis-relief-fund/

10 Ruthless Chair Shots Kane Took to the Head: https://youtu.be/4dUzeK85h4k

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4740 on: February 28, 2022, 09:53:19 am »
Politics with American wrestlers is definitely a slippery slope, but even so thats particularly scummy from the big red machine (although the name The Rock used to call him is probably more apt)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4741 on: February 28, 2022, 12:12:31 pm »
Some of you may have kept up with the new upstart promotion Control Your Narrative.

In this promotion the main stars so far are EC3, Braun Strowman, Karrion Kross, Flip Gordon, and Austin Aries - on the name and stars alone I think you can get an impression of what type of vibe this promotion has.

So far they have released merch such as this masterpiece:

They are also selling something called "Control you Nutrition" which is specific blend of seasoning for your food, which (and I quote from their advertising)

"Big Seasoning has been contaminating you beef, chicken, fish and even your vegetables for far too long!"

Big Seasoning....

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4742 on: February 28, 2022, 01:33:37 pm »
Wait is this some sort of alt-right MAGA promotion?  What's the deal?

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4743 on: February 28, 2022, 04:10:56 pm »
Wait is this some sort of alt-right MAGA promotion?  What's the deal?

It seems to be less wrestling and more Fight Club as interpretted by a QANON, with edgy/cool phrasing and an overly self-important view of ones self

In the Essential Talent bio EC3 describes himself as:

THE ESSENTIAL CHARACHTER
EC3 (@TheRealEC3)
-world champion wrestler
-conditioning of a puma
-violent nihilist
-#psychoboy
-formerly the top 1%, now the chosen deity of the narrative

https://www.freethenarrative.com/pages/essential-talent

Also there is apparently degree of libertarianism to the show with it being no contracts, no booker, just a "Boys" agreement as to the shows being run and then making your own money

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4744 on: February 28, 2022, 04:28:16 pm »
Politics with American wrestlers is definitely a slippery slope, but even so thats particularly scummy from the big red machine (although the name The Rock used to call him is probably more apt)
X-Pac also burnt him with a response.

Of all the old wrestlers, these are the ones who from their twitter are very liberal (X-Pac, Nash, Batista, Mick Foley), the newer guys are mostly liberal themselves.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4745 on: February 28, 2022, 04:39:08 pm »
X-Pac also burnt him with a response.

Of all the old wrestlers, these are the ones who from their twitter are very liberal (X-Pac, Nash, Batista, Mick Foley), the newer guys are mostly liberal themselves.

Not the first time he's been set on fire.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4746 on: March 1, 2022, 08:14:50 am »
Edge vs AJ Styles at Mania.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4747 on: March 1, 2022, 08:18:16 am »
It's starting to look more and more like they are going for a heel heavy Mania.

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #4748 on: March 1, 2022, 11:29:51 pm »
Some of you may have kept up with the new upstart promotion Control Your Narrative.

Heard something today that VIP ticket holders at an upcoming show will get 3 minutes to rant at their least favourite wrestler with a promise of no repercussions.

Whilst I sort of like the idea of bringing criticism away from the keyboards, general concensus seems to be that this is a disaster waiting to happen.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/control-your-narrative-events-rant-room/

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4749 on: March 1, 2022, 11:30:51 pm »
Edge vs AJ Styles at Mania.

Heel Edge vs Babyface AJ is the right way to go I think.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #4750 on: March 2, 2022, 07:24:53 am »
Heard something today that VIP ticket holders at an upcoming show will get 3 minutes to rant at their least favourite wrestler with a promise of no repercussions.

Whilst I sort of like the idea of bringing criticism away from the keyboards, general concensus seems to be that this is a disaster waiting to happen.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/control-your-narrative-events-rant-room/

That is setting itself up to be ChatRoulette-esque

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4751 on: March 2, 2022, 08:20:02 am »
Heel Edge vs Babyface AJ is the right way to go I think.

Edge/AJ is a genuinely exciting match, but about the only good thing that seems on the card for Mania. I do love the first Brock/Roman Mania match, with the Rollins cash in, but diminishing returns since then. Women’s title matches both have potential. To be honest, I’m more interested - well, morbidly curious - about the proposed matches between KO and Stone Cold, and Vince and Pat McAfee. Oh, and Zayn/Knoxville.

Still don’t know how Cody fits in or whether he’s the big moment in the Raw after. If he does a Mania match, maybe Rollins?
« Last Edit: March 2, 2022, 08:22:40 am by Barefoot Doctor »

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4752 on: March 2, 2022, 08:52:35 am »
Watch them build up to someone having a WM match against a mystery opponent, everyone is chanting CODY CODY CODY at the venue, and when the time comes... its Veer

Offline btroom

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4753 on: March 2, 2022, 01:41:13 pm »
Why they changed ciampa's great theme song. another one setup to fail after his move to main roster.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4754 on: March 3, 2022, 02:18:02 am »
Tony Khan now owns Ring of Honor

More importantly, he also owns ROH video library from Sinclair Broadcast Group as well as brand assets, intellectual property and production equipment
« Last Edit: March 3, 2022, 02:19:48 am by gazzalfc »

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4755 on: March 3, 2022, 07:21:40 am »
This is the greatest acquisition in the history of our sport

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4756 on: March 3, 2022, 07:53:06 am »
What does it mean?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4757 on: March 3, 2022, 10:12:56 am »
Will RoH become AEW's version of NXT then?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4758 on: March 3, 2022, 10:32:13 am »
Will RoH become AEW's version of NXT then?

That'll be my guess

2 of the biggest draws in the deal is the library of all Sinclair produced shows (including the Jim Cornette produced shows which were considered peak wrestling) and the production equipment.

Tony has the ability (money) to get it back on a media platform very quickly and run it as feeder for AEW.

Whereas before AEW was starting to get cluttered, it now doesn't need to do handshake deals with Impact anymore. It can expand and breath.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4759 on: March 3, 2022, 10:46:49 am »
I guess the argument would be that the amount of people interested in 'pure' wrestling has always been pretty small, and that demographic is already likely to be AEW fans anyway. The biggest attendance they've ever had was less than 4,000 people, really not seeing how its any sort of game changer (but I'm sure I'll be enlightened)