Poll

Should VAR (Video Assistant Referee) be introduced full time in professional football?

Yes - It's a good idea and I welcome its introduction
322 (44.9%)
Oh HELL No! - It will ruin the game / is unnecessary
207 (28.9%)
Unsure - It needs to be refined etc...(discuss)
188 (26.2%)

Total Members Voted: 716

Author Topic: VAR! Huh! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing... ?  (Read 196176 times)

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Believer
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
Re: VAR! Huh! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing... ?
« Reply #5600 on: Yesterday at 02:41:06 PM »
But they're still not 100% sure they're looking at the freeze frame, from the exact moment the ball is played by the would be assist provider. Until they can be sure of that, then these marginal decisions will continue to be highly questionable.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Max_powers

• Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5601 on: Yesterday at 02:43:55 PM »
VAR should only be used if the whole body is offside. There needs to be a margin of error grantes to the assistant on the pitch. Mistakes happen and there's no perfect world.

The offside rule also should be simplified but that's another discussion. I think only either the position of the furthest front foot or the head should matter. Having to consider all of the body except the arms is just confusing.

That is a bit much. That would pretty much be like scrapping VAR because very few of these off sides would not be caught by on field officials.

Offline robbed 1966 yorkies from kids' selection boxes

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #5602 on: Yesterday at 02:44:52 PM »
VAR should only be used if the whole body is offside. There needs to be a margin of error grantes to the assistant on the pitch. Mistakes happen and there's no perfect world.

The offside rule also should be simplified but that's another discussion. I think only the position of the furthest front foot should matter.

But that doesn't match the rule and to be honest, because of the way the rule is, VAR SHOULD be used as it is too difficult for a lineo to see clearly. There is no margin on error with offside, you are off or you aren't, you can't then allow VAR to be used incorrectly. Manes goal at City was disallowed because 11mm of the ball hadn't crossed the line.

A player is in an offside position if:
any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent
The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered.
A player is not in an offside position if level with the:
second-last opponent or
last two opponents

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #5603 on: Yesterday at 02:46:38 PM »
But they're still not 100% sure they're looking at the freeze frame, from the exact moment the ball is played by the would be assist provider. Until they can be sure of that, then these marginal decisions will continue to be highly questionable.

That is a great point - I personally want offside to be clear air between players. Dalglish would be offside where Rushie wasn't cos Kenny had a fat arse.

Online Linudden

• Believer
« Reply #5604 on: Yesterday at 02:49:45 PM »
That is a bit much. That would pretty much be like scrapping VAR because very few of these off sides would not be caught by on field officials.

Ideally it should. I'm all for goal line technology but someone watching the video from a control tower should have no influence on a football game unless something's visible to the naked eye.

Right now the approach seems to be "give it to the defending team if we can't see".
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:53:47 PM by Linudden »

Offline planned-a-tenner-per-gift-cos-I'm-cheap-like

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #5605 on: Yesterday at 03:07:36 PM »
Bin it. Ruining the fun of the goals.
Would rather have a bit of human error than this all the time.
bollocks

Offline cornishscouser92

• Believer
« Reply #5606 on: Yesterday at 04:45:53 PM »

It's good. Bournemouth,Villa, Watford benefiting from Var, overruling refereeing mistakes. Keep VAR but continue to improve
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #5607 on: Yesterday at 06:16:31 PM »

Until Liverpool get screwed over by an assistant missing a clear offside, then you'd want it back.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #5608 on: Yesterday at 06:23:36 PM »

They need to work on it, taking far too long to make decisions, but fuck the human error shit right off. VAR meant we played Spurs and not City in Madrid and I know which one I preferred.

Offline planned-a-tenner-per-gift-cos-I'm-cheap-like

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #5609 on: Yesterday at 11:37:09 PM »
Until Liverpool get screwed over by an assistant missing a clear offside, then you'd want it back.
No I wouldn't. Prefer the old way. Without sounding archaic. How are match day goers in future years going to know what's what. Sucking the fun out of it a bit. But then again I'm going through a lot. In life .
bollocks

Online Jake

• Admiral Ackbar
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
« Reply #5610 on: Yesterday at 11:40:02 PM »
Klopp said today he doesn't celebrate goals any more

VAR is for anti-fun boring c*nts

Offline slotmachine

• Kopite
« Reply #5611 on: Yesterday at 11:56:42 PM »
Why wasnt that Mane handball in the first half checked? It looked like it was the Watford player's arm that's why Mane was going off is tits when the ref gave the free-kick to Watford for a Mane handball

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I
  • Kopite
« Reply #5612 on: Today at 08:08:36 AM »
The 2-0 goal yesterday was the first time it's reached the point for me where I haven't celebrated a goal cos I was convinced some bullshit reason would be found to disallow it. They did their best as well, and I'd argue that if they hadn't already disallowed Mane's in dubious circumstances, Salah's one would've been chalked off.

As someone who was pro VAR originally, I can now firmly say I think the current implementation of it is ruining the game.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:12:02 AM by decosabute »

Offline Santta's Red Breastts

• Believer
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5613 on: Today at 08:09:58 AM »
Why wasnt that Mane handball in the first half checked? It looked like it was the Watford player's arm that's why Mane was going off is tits when the ref gave the free-kick to Watford for a Mane handball

Most likely because the fat fuck that is Jon Moss was the VAR ref. :no

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Believer
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #5614 on: Today at 08:12:00 AM »
Only just seen it on MOTD, for the second, why where they taking the line of the defender from the player Mo nutmegs? There was a player (Cathcart I think) right on the byline, after attempting to block Mane’s cross.
AHA!

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I
  • Kopite
« Reply #5615 on: Today at 08:31:01 AM »
Also saw a fella on the match thread mention Chelsea's disallowed goal against us earlier in the season as a solitary example to demonstrate "things balancing out over the course of the season". Sorry, but that's complete bollocks. We might've got the rub of the green on that one instance, but look at how many bullshit VAR interventions or non-interventions have cost us.

In addition to Mane's goal yesterday, we've had:

- Firmino perfectly good goal disallowed for nonsense offside vs Aston Villa
- Matip absolutely clear penalty not given vs Newcastle
- Mane clear penalty not given vs Sheff Utd
- Man United goal given despite clear foul on Origi
- Napoli dive given as penalty in the away game
- Napoli goal given despite clear foul on Virgil

And that's just off the top of my head. Perhaps that same fella or others who think "it all balances out" would like to give examples of it going for us to balance these out?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #5616 on: Today at 08:31:46 AM »
Only just seen it on MOTD, for the second, why where they taking the line of the defender from the player Mo nutmegs? There was a player (Cathcart I think) right on the byline, after attempting to block Mane’s cross.

Its because the rule states you are offside based on the second to last opponent, which is not necessarily the keeper. Both Mo and the defender were nearer to the goal than Foster, so that was why they checked. I remember a Beardsley goal getting chalked off due to the same situation, which is why I remember it.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Believer
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #5617 on: Today at 08:36:44 AM »
Ah, yes, didn’t even think to check the position of the keeper. Just assumed he was on his line (time wasting, probably).
AHA!

Offline phonic

• Believer
« Reply #5618 on: Today at 10:33:24 AM »
I like VAR and I think the game needs it - look at the Bournemouth goal yesterday, he was well onside and that would've been an absolute howler. I do think it needs to be improved though; I think they need to introduce an 'umpire's call' type element to VAR where the linesman signals whether they believe it is on or off and the game continues. Then the on-field decision is checked. I can't stand this thing of the linesman not flagging and then leaving it to VAR to check - blatant offsides are getting missed, defenders clear the ball for a corner/throw/back to the other team so there's no check and it's giving an advantage to the attacking team when the defending team should have a free kick. At least with the linesman making the initial decision you know the decision making remains on the pitch. Having the umpire's call element also rules out these pedantic decisions like Mane and Bobby (I'm sure there are others from other teams too - but they're the ones that stick with me).