Author Topic: Louis Van Gaal Retires  (Read 10710 times)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Louis Van Gaal Retires
« on: March 11, 2019, 08:12:24 pm »
Thought it deserved to be seperate from the manc thread, architect of one of my all time favourite teams with his ajax side and seems like a top fella, the karate kick on the sideline of the european cup final, dropping his pants at Luca Toni to prove a point and the ‘fat man’ comment at the tit from the rag amongst other things

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
Re: Louis Van Gaal Retires
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 08:36:09 pm »
Legend mate, legend.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 09:24:49 pm »
Yep, love the guy despite his Manc stint... Probably just as well he failed there or I'd be conflicted.

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 09:44:52 pm »
Brilliant mad bastard!  ;D

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 09:58:08 pm »
Huge respect for him, great career and lots of fun too.
Teams managed
1991–1997 Ajax
1997–2000 Barcelona
2000–2002 Netherlands
2002–2003 Barcelona
2005–2009 AZ
2009–2011 Bayern Munich
2012–2014 Netherlands
2014–2016 Manchester United
I was always intrigued by the Alkmaar stint right in the middle here.  How did that come about?!  It’s like van der Sar’s Fulham years, maybe it was a thing people did then.

That also means his last act in football was winning the FA Cup (then getting knifed by Mourinho).  I don’t feel so bad about them winning it now.

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 09:59:57 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CqfpDOZjF9E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CqfpDOZjF9E</a>
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 10:06:16 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WyRPOlIHNhs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WyRPOlIHNhs</a>

Also this (as referenced above):

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-uniteds-louis-van-gaal-5893628

When Louis van Gaal famously dropped his trousers in the Bayern Munich dressing room his players were distinctly unimpressed.

Van Gaal committed the outlandish act to justify his decision-making and show he had the ‘cajones’ to make tough calls.

Mark van Bommel, who was Bayern captain that day, mischievously indicates with his forefinger and thumb that Van Gaal’s stripper act left much to be desired.

But the former Bayern and Holland midfielder believes Van Gaal will ultimately bring success to Manchester United, despite a difficult first season in charge at Old Trafford.

Van Bommel, speaking at a legends game between former United and Bayern players at Old Trafford, recalled the moment Van Gaal exposed himself to prove his managerial boldness.

“The German players didn’t understand what he meant,” said Van Bommel. “He changed two players after 55 minutes and he wanted to explain why he did it.

“He was searching for the right words and his explanation was he doesn’t change for change’s sake. He thought, ‘I have an idea’.

“Afterwards, we were laughing and we were doing it in the dressing room as well.”

Recalling the incident himself some years later, Van Gaal said: “I once dropped my pants in front of the entire squad.

“I wanted to make clear: When I make a substitution, I don’t do so for my own ego, but for the sake of the team.

“I do everything for the team and I use everything I can to illustrate that. My voice, my mind, and everything else I’ve got. This shows the strength of our team sprit.”
King Kenny.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 10:14:45 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SJnTYB1fnGA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SJnTYB1fnGA</a>
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 10:17:10 pm »
I remember that karate kick he did, watched it live as a kid. Had a soft spot for the man since.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 11:03:32 pm »
"Here is a comprehensive list of all the reasons why Manchester United is shite now, will be even more shite when Mourinho comes, and will remain shite even after he leaves."

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 11:06:32 pm »
He also smacked Ryan Giggs fairly forcefully in the back of his head, he's alright in my book.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 11:23:11 pm »
That Ajax side of 1995 was something very special and for that alone Louis Van Gaal deserves credit.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 06:21:46 am »
Huge respect for him, great career and lots of fun too.I was always intrigued by the Alkmaar stint right in the middle here.  How did that come about?!  It’s like van der Sar’s Fulham years, maybe it was a thing people did then.
his stock had dropped quite a bit, failed to qualify the Dutch for the World Cup and barca were around the relegation zone when he got fired, think he was happy to stay at alkmaar but bernie madoff took a couple of million so he decided to do a few more big jobs

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 06:28:01 am »
Ha ha

Loved the mad bastard

For bonus points, he did most Mancs heads in too while he was there - Manc colleagues used to come to work moaning and groaning about him every other weekend - it was hilarious.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 07:06:02 am »
Louis Van Gaal's Red Army!
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 09:12:25 am »
I loved how even after his years working in the UK he was still the worst English speaker in all of Holland.

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 02:43:30 pm »
Love the mad bastard. Hope he enjoys it, he didn't succeed here but still got the first trophy after Ferguson
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 02:50:14 pm »
Like George Best, a legend who transcended the Liverpool/Man enmity. Farewell sweet prince

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Xlb7-ceivWg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Xlb7-ceivWg</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g5I247QU2ZM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g5I247QU2ZM</a>

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 02:52:43 pm »

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 03:06:29 pm »
Nutcase

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 06:20:18 pm »
That Ajax side of 1995 was something very special and for that alone Louis Van Gaal deserves credit.

This.

I know every generation will have a team that seems to completely change the way football is played, in the way that Guardiola's Barca have for the Twitterati (the old "Pep invented football" bollox!), and I know 1990s Ajax were not the first either! But that Ajax 1990s team was the one for me. My favourite line-up below;

------------------Van Der Sarr

Reiziger-----Blind-------F. De Boer------Bogarde

-------------Seedorf----------Davids

--------------------R.De Boer

George-------------Kluivert---------------Overmars

And looking back, it's even more amazing - that team just dominated everyone (before getting dismantled). There were no Galacticos, it was just coaching. The way they managed space. Didn't allow the oppo to affect their positioning at all, they just asserted their authority, went man-for-man in a full-court press and didn't allow the oppo to breathe. Phenomenal. So glad the idiots down the road didn't give him time.

Any "Pep invented football" fans reading, should try to find a full match by that Ajax team. When time-machines are invented, would love to see Barca c.2009 vs Ajax c.1995.

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 06:22:44 pm »
Thought it deserved to be seperate from the manc thread, architect of one of my all time favourite teams with his ajax side and seems like a top fella, the karate kick on the sideline of the european cup final, dropping his pants at Luca Toni to prove a point and the ‘fat man’ comment at the tit from the rag amongst other things

Apparently the fat man was properly hurt by that and subsequently went on a diet. Lol

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 06:30:29 pm »
This.

I know every generation will have a team that seems to completely change the way football is played, in the way that Guardiola's Barca have for the Twitterati (the old "Pep invented football" bollox!), and I know 1990s Ajax were not the first either! But that Ajax 1990s team was the one for me. My favourite line-up below;

And looking back, it's even more amazing - that team just dominated everyone (before getting dismantled). There were no Galacticos, it was just coaching. The way they managed space. Didn't allow the oppo to affect their positioning at all, they just asserted their authority, went man-for-man in a full-court press and didn't allow the oppo to breathe. Phenomenal. So glad the idiots down the road didn't give him time.

Any "Pep invented football" fans reading, should try to find a full match by that Ajax team. When time-machines are invented, would love to see Barca c.2009 vs Ajax c.1995.

You missed out the main man, hang your head in shame!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2019, 06:33:37 pm »
Yeah, you can’t have that side without old fish face Jari in it.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2019, 07:01:43 pm »
You missed out the main man, hang your head in shame!

Haha! Wondered if anyone would spot it. Genuinely not a massive fan of our Jari! Was always too slow for my liking. Great vision though.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2019, 11:51:24 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ut6F0hNe2p4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ut6F0hNe2p4</a>

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 10:59:00 pm »
Haha! Wondered if anyone would spot it. Genuinely not a massive fan of our Jari! Was always too slow for my liking. Great vision though.

There's only 2 regrets I have about Liverpool players I've seen in my time.

My first is Morientes not making it here. One of my favourite ever players, I was ecstatic when we got him.

And then Jari not been given the playing time I think he should have got here. A sublime player to watch. Like Jan Molby with grace. :-)
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 11:02:52 pm »
Absolute madman!

I'm surprised he didn't announce it sooner, since it was obvious he was done with football after all the shit at United. I wish him a pleasant retirement and hopefully he'll be remembered for the 1995 Ajax miracle against the mighty Milan rather than the sorry two final years.

Oh, and also, the 2009 Eredivisie title with AZ Alkmaar really stands out to me. He also could've won the treble with Bayern the following year, in which he gave us the glorious tanking of United's Champions League run.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:05:05 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2019, 06:56:58 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/47704834?__twitter_impression=true

"Paul Scholes was a manager too, yes?" he smiles. "Fantastic, eh. Fantastic."

;D

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2019, 07:23:11 pm »
This.

Rijkaard?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2019, 07:41:42 pm »
They played an aggressive 3-4-3 with a diamond midfield:

They changed shape according to the phase of play, so in the final defensive phase it looked like a 4-4-1-1, with Rijkaard dropping into the backline and the two wingers dropping off into the channels.

Their shape was not as mobile as the Total Voetbal teams, as there was very little interchange of positions across the field, but because of this, they were able to move the ball rapidly with one-touch football, as everyone knew where everyone else was.

Wonderful team from a great coach. If there was no Van Gaal, there would be no Pep. Cruyff may have set the Barca playing philosophy, but Van Gaal showed them all how to train and coach.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2019, 08:47:48 pm »
He’s the one Man Utd manager I have a lot of time for - literally just him and Busby!

Great character, great manager - didn’t work out but to be fair on him, he developed a good few youngsters, gave them chances at United and did more for the club than the total wallopers either side of his reign I believe. He never bullshitted either, wasn’t interested in petty mind games or broadsides. He got on with the job, albeit in a wacky way at times.

The Ajax win and that team is his outstanding achievement though. Another golden age of Dutch football, they really are a club of myths and legends and he contributed to that legacy along with so many legendary players.

A proper football legend, one of the managerial greats who I would quite happily have taken as Liverpool manager back in the day.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 08:50:33 pm by mattD »

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2019, 09:15:01 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/47704834?__twitter_impression=true

;D
”The coach after me [Mourinho] changed to park-the-bus tactics and played on the counter. Now there is another coach who parks the bus and plays on the counter. The main difference between Mourinho and Solskjaer is that Solskjaer is winning.”
Heh heh heh.

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2019, 10:45:36 pm »

They changed shape according to the phase of play, so in the final defensive phase it looked like a 4-4-1-1, with Rijkaard dropping into the backline and the two wingers dropping off into the channels.

Their shape was not as mobile as the Total Voetbal teams, as there was very little interchange of positions across the field, but because of this, they were able to move the ball rapidly with one-touch football, as everyone knew where everyone else was.

Wonderful team from a great coach. If there was no Van Gaal, there would be no Pep. Cruyff may have set the Barca playing philosophy, but Van Gaal showed them all how to train and coach.

You have been waiting for years to type that, right?  ;D
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2019, 11:18:10 pm »
So Pop is Van Gaal. It all makes sense now, with those dodgy song lyrics

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2019, 12:27:56 am »

Also didn't overlap out wide much at all, so as not to "curtail the winger's action radius..."

:D

Van Gaal was a blast, especially in translation...
'I reckon we'll win the League 24/25 and you can quote me on that.' -- El Tel...

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2019, 12:40:51 am »
Absolute mad bastard. The only connection to Manchester United I can even stomach.

Can anyone embed the "Enjoy your wine and a mince pie" video? And my personal favourite "only one player injured, can you believe it?" song? Cheers!

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2019, 12:50:28 am »

Looks like they may have played 4-3-3 in the final, with Kluivert on the bench?
"1994–95 UEFA Champions League

The Ernst-Happel-Stadion in Vienna held the final.
The 1994–95 UEFA Champions League was the 40th edition of UEFA's premier European club football tournament, and the third since its rebranding as the UEFA Champions League. The tournament was won by Ajax of the Netherlands with a late goal in the final against defending champions Milan of Italy. Ajax won the competition without losing a game, either in the group or the knock-out stage in winning the title for the first time since 1973. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_UEFA_Champions_League_Final
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2019, 10:29:30 am »
From Auntie

There are eight teams left in the Champions League. Van Gaal managed three of them - Ajax, Barcelona and United. He knows United fans in particular will be annoyed at his preferred outcome.

"People think Barcelona are the best but they are not. Manchester City and Liverpool are more of a team than Barcelona - and Liverpool are more of a team than City," he says.

LOUIS VAN GAAL'S ARMY, LOUIS VAN GAAL'S ARMY

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2019, 10:31:54 am »
From Auntie

There are eight teams left in the Champions League. Van Gaal managed three of them - Ajax, Barcelona and United. He knows United fans in particular will be annoyed at his preferred outcome.

"People think Barcelona are the best but they are not. Manchester City and Liverpool are more of a team than Barcelona - and Liverpool are more of a team than City," he says.

LOUIS VAN GAAL'S ARMY, LOUIS VAN GAAL'S ARMY

you missed the bit where he says he wants Abu Dhabi FC to win  :P